Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The Deathly Hallows DVD

Old September 22nd, 2011, 1:06 pm
Second Year

Re: WB to stop shipping HP DVDs on Dec. 29?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
I don't think it's a good marketing strategy at all - they're stopping the shipment of ALL Harry Potter DVDs? It just doesn't make sense - if they can't sell them, they can't make money off them. And surely, given their historical significance, people in the future will want to buy them?
in my opinion it makes sense, they are stopping the shippment of ALL the films to re-make the editions, it does make sense, the dvds will be re-released from what I've understood.
In this case, as I said before, they will re-make all the editions so that fans who already have them could be tempted to buying them since there could be something special in them, some special unrealsed content of some sort or maybe additional deleted scenes we have never had the opportiunity of seeing.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Draco Dormiens Numquam Tintillandus

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2011, 8:39 pm
Seventh Year

Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

So....if I buy the 3 DVD Blue Ray set, the deleted scenes will be on it? Will they be in a format on one of the DVDs that a non Blue Ray set can see the deleted scenes?

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old September 22nd, 2011, 8:44 pm
Snidget of Champions

I am unimpressed by WB's decision to regulate the Harry Potter films' marketing in such a way. From a business standpoint (and, of course, WB is a business seeking the maximum amount of revenue) I do agree that it makes sense and will likely be effective. Restricting the availability of the films and releasing the films for purchase at select times will cater to the obsessiveness and gluttony of Harry Potter fans. I do not deny that I will be a victim of this approach, buying the films in a variety of editions. For me, though, I am not such a film collector that I have to have every possible edition of the films ever released, and I would have been satisfied with the continuous availability of select versions (e.g. individual DVDs, 8-film collections, and ultimate editions). But, again, I think WB has learned enough about its consumers to realize that the fans will be susceptible to this approach.

However, I disagree with the motives from a dedication and alienation standpoint. Firstly, I think that WB will alienate a large amount of its consumers by limiting and staggering the films' availability. For most casual fans, I think the December 29 deadline will be long enough to purchase the final film of the collection, and that will complete their HP purchases (though I have to wonder about the availability of DH Part 2 DVDs the week of Christmas!). But if the films will not be on the shelves for extended periods of times, I think it does a disservice to the devoted fans and the potential fans. This decision by WB shocks me because of the recent attempts by J.K. Rowling and the Potter publishers to market the series to a new generation (i.e. Pottermore, revamped websites for Scholastic and Bloomsbury, revamped covers for the Bloomsbury editions, etc.). WB preventing continuous access to the films, I think, contradicts that push by JKR to accommodate the series to new audiences. And I know that I, as a dedicated fan, will simply lament not seeing the Harry Potter films on the shelves of my favorite movie stores!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:47 am
First Year

Digital Copy?

Does anyone know if there will be a digital copy with the DH part 2 DVD or Blu Ray release?

I'm not really worried about price, because when I bought the blu ray version for DH part 1, it was around $30, and that included special features and a digital copy. So personally, the thing that will make me choose DVD or Blu Ray is if there is a digital copy with it. I'll probably end up buying dvd anyways, I always like to have it on DVD.

so does anyone know??

RENTHEAD 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!
Old September 24th, 2011, 2:20 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I am unimpressed by WB's decision to regulate the Harry Potter films' marketing in such a way. From a business standpoint (and, of course, WB is a business seeking the maximum amount of revenue) I do agree that it makes sense and will likely be effective. Restricting the availability of the films and releasing the films for purchase at select times will cater to the obsessiveness and gluttony of Harry Potter fans. I do not deny that I will be a victim of this approach, buying the films in a variety of editions. For me, though, I am not such a film collector that I have to have every possible edition of the films ever released, and I would have been satisfied with the continuous availability of select versions (e.g. individual DVDs, 8-film collections, and ultimate editions). But, again, I think WB has learned enough about its consumers to realize that the fans will be susceptible to this approach.

However, I disagree with the motives from a dedication and alienation standpoint. Firstly, I think that WB will alienate a large amount of its consumers by limiting and staggering the films' availability. For most casual fans, I think the December 29 deadline will be long enough to purchase the final film of the collection, and that will complete their HP purchases (though I have to wonder about the availability of DH Part 2 DVDs the week of Christmas!). But if the films will not be on the shelves for extended periods of times, I think it does a disservice to the devoted fans and the potential fans. This decision by WB shocks me because of the recent attempts by J.K. Rowling and the Potter publishers to market the series to a new generation (i.e. Pottermore, revamped websites for Scholastic and Bloomsbury, revamped covers for the Bloomsbury editions, etc.). WB preventing continuous access to the films, I think, contradicts that push by JKR to accommodate the series to new audiences. And I know that I, as a dedicated fan, will simply lament not seeing the Harry Potter films on the shelves of my favorite movie stores!
I agree; I think you make a good point about the scarce availability at the holiday period. Are they restricting the volume manufactured? That could result in some (parents, etc.) not being able to find the DVDs if they wait too long, which could make for some unhappy kids at Xmas.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 25th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Digital Copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hptonks425 View Post
Does anyone know if there will be a digital copy with the DH part 2 DVD or Blu Ray release?

I'm not really worried about price, because when I bought the blu ray version for DH part 1, it was around $30, and that included special features and a digital copy. So personally, the thing that will make me choose DVD or Blu Ray is if there is a digital copy with it. I'll probably end up buying dvd anyways, I always like to have it on DVD.

so does anyone know??
In the UK there's the "triple play" pack where you get DVD, Blu-ray and digital copy, but as far as I know that's the only way to get the digital copy, if you buy both in that pack. I don't know if it's different for the US, but amazon should tell you.

I'm very disappointed with the UK release date for the DVD, it's just ridiculous. 3 weeks after most other countries is far too long and the reaction I've seen about it is not good. On the plus side, the UK DVD will get a lot of the special features, as with part 1, which is good because I don't own a blu-ray player.

Most looking forward to the "farewell from cast and crew" feature as listed on amazon as well

In fact all of it sounds amazing.

Extra Content
Aberforth Dumbledore
Deathly Hallows Costume Changes
Harry Returns to Hogwarts
The Hogwarts Shield
Room of Requirement Set
The Fiery Escape
Final Farewells from Cast and Crew
When Harry Left Hogwarts
The Goblins of Gringotts
The Women of Harry Potter
Deleted Scenes
Neville's Stand
Molly Takes Down Bellatrix
Pottermore Preview
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old September 26th, 2011, 1:42 am
Fifth Year

I'm really unhappy with whoever produces these DVDs - surely the producers of the films aren't involved in it? Their Blu-Ray mania and producing DVDs as though they're VHSs are just annoying me.

I just wish they'd release a 2-disk version of the film on DVD with the special features, like they did before the Deathly Hallows movies. I just hope the Ultimate Editions stay in the DVD format, because I'm unlikely to spring for a BluRay player anytime soon!

Old September 26th, 2011, 2:20 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
I'm really unhappy with whoever produces these DVDs - surely the producers of the films aren't involved in it? Their Blu-Ray mania and producing DVDs as though they're VHSs are just annoying me.

I just wish they'd release a 2-disk version of the film on DVD with the special features, like they did before the Deathly Hallows movies. I just hope the Ultimate Editions stay in the DVD format, because I'm unlikely to spring for a BluRay player anytime soon!
Although Amazon offered only a single disc DVD of DH1 I bought the 2 disc version locally. I've taken the risk and pre-ordered DH2 from Amazon. Perhaps I should cancel.

-eta-
Yes, confirmed that the Amazon DVD is only 1 disc, so cancelled and will wait to see what's available locally.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; September 26th, 2011 at 2:30 am.
Old October 1st, 2011, 9:44 pm
Registered Animagus

Because of pre-orders, Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the fastest selling DVD/Blu-Ray of all time... sales skyrocketing 4 times over what Part 1 reached so far...

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/4809

Old October 2nd, 2011, 3:51 am
First Year

Where to find DH Part 1 2-Disc Special Edition?

Hi everyone!

My name is Ashley and while I've been visiting MuggleNet on and off for quite sometime, I am just now joining the forums. Happy to be here!

I know that Walmart released a 2-disc special edition of Deathly Hallows awhile back. However, I realized tonight that they no longer sell it (at least, not on their website). Can anyone tell me where I can find this? Thanks!

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old October 2nd, 2011, 7:52 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Yes, confirmed that the Amazon DVD is only 1 disc, so cancelled and will wait to see what's available locally.
Well I think you will be dissapointed as I am, but Warner Bros. isn't making a 2 DVD editions for part 2, they are only making it in blue ray. I really can't understand the purpouse or the meaning of this move, why realising only a blue ray 2 disc version when the good majority of people still use DVDs and it seems that so many book fans are intrested in the 2-disc version, including myself. Really if someone can explain to me why of this move I would be very greatful to them beacuse I just can't get it.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Old October 2nd, 2011, 8:54 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotoc_Sabbath View Post
Well I think you will be dissapointed as I am, but Warner Bros. isn't making a 2 DVD editions for part 2, they are only making it in blue ray. I really can't understand the purpouse or the meaning of this move, why realising only a blue ray 2 disc version when the good majority of people still use DVDs and it seems that so many book fans are intrested in the 2-disc version, including myself. Really if someone can explain to me why of this move I would be very greatful to them beacuse I just can't get it.
SnitchSeeker tweeted Sat. that WalMart will be the exclusive seller of the 2 disc DVD in the US. That was also the case for DH1, but I bought it at Meijer.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old October 2nd, 2011, 8:56 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
SnitchSeeker tweeted Sat. that WalMart will be the exclusive seller of the 2 disc DVD in the US. That was also the case for DH1, but I bought it at Meijer.
So no 2 dvd edition in Europe?

-Stephen King-

Old October 2nd, 2011, 9:18 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotoc_Sabbath View Post
So no 2 dvd edition in Europe?
I'm 99% sure that it is only America that does not get the 2-disc DVD (except at Walmart). This would be the same as DH1. In fact, here in New Zealand, the only DVD release is the 2-disc version. They already have the 2-disc version for pre-order

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old October 2nd, 2011, 9:36 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
I'm 99% sure that it is only America that does not get the 2-disc DVD (except at Walmart). This would be the same as DH1. In fact, here in New Zealand, the only DVD release is the 2-disc version. They already have the 2-disc version for pre-order
Wow now I can understand the whole thing. Thank you very much! Really! Hope to find one in Italy!

-Stephen King-

Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:14 pm
First Year

I have the first 2 movies in 3 disc edition and the rest up to DH part 1 in 2 disc editions. I realy hope we get a 2 disc edition on DH Part 2, it would just make no sence if they never released that, i got my DH Part 1 the other day and it was still in 2 disc special edition. But now that i know about amazon i definatly wont buy mine from there, i will get it locally!
I dont want to buy it if its only 1 disc.

Proud Slytherin
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:44 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
As it is with that other antipodean country, Australia. My pre-ordered DVD of DH2 is a two disc edition; as it was with my DH1 edition. I am yet to see a one disc option offered here for either DH1 or DH2. The only other offering is the Blu-ray...which I also pre-ordered...

Professor Severus Snape - brooding, detached, sarcastic, misanthropic, indomitable, complex, enigmatic. PERFECT. The embodiment of a writer's beautiful but damned dream man. "...a gift of a character" - J.K. Rowling

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure...The mind is a complex and many-layered thing."

"Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

"And my soul, Dumbledore? Mine?"
---
Pottermore : StormElm168 - House: Gryffindor
Old October 12th, 2011, 9:46 pm
Registered Animagus

Preview from the Special Feature "The Women of Harry Potter". This part is "The Perfect Hermione".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=H5cEuwrRMdk

So awesome! Aww, Emma looks like she's about to cry in it And I love JK Rowling so much in this!

Old October 18th, 2011, 12:42 pm
Fourth Year

We should be getting some deleted scenes released online, no? I can't remember how close to the DVD release for part 1 they started releasing the actual scenes.

Old October 19th, 2011, 1:24 pm
Second Year

I've ordered my disc from DVDworldusa - they have the Blu-ray/DVD combo in stock now.

The Blu-ray disc is multi-region and the DVD is Region A.

Hopefully should get it next week - way before even the November 11th US release (fingers crossed).

GO CHECK IT OUT!!!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies