Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The Deathly Hallows DVD



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #421  
Old November 13th, 2011, 11:59 pm
MerryLore's Avatar
MerryLore  Female.gif MerryLore is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3324 days
Location: catagorizing Sev's books
Posts: 1,627
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokitty View Post
I'm not sure it's all a conspiracy to make people buy new equipment; rather, things like Maximum Movie Mode must take a lot of extra memory, and so would all the extras. Since Blu-Ray discs can hold significantly more than DVD, it may simply be a cost-benefit thing for them, because they would have to load in significantly more discs in a DVD release to include everything, and with more discs it would cost more, which might be unpalatable to casual consumers who just want to see the movie and don't care much for the extras. Though that certainly doesn't make it suck any less for true fans of the movies!!!
We have the option to just buy the movie - $13.99

If we pay $19.99, we get A Conversation with JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe , The Goblins of Gringotts, and The Women of Harry Potter

or....if you have blu-ray, you get 3 discs for that $19.99 - DH2 in Bluray, DH2 not in Bluray, A Conversation with JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe , The Goblins of Gringotts, and The Women of Harry Potter, and Maximum Movie Mode.

3 discs, with 2 of them being in Blu-ray - $19.99

vs.

2 discs, in the "lesser technology" and without MMM - $19.99


The Blu-ray is a much better deal, if you have Blu-ray. I do think they want us to upgrade. The only reason they put them on Blu-ray is because they used the HiDef format. They could have put it on a single DVD, if they reduced the quality to a standard DVD format.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
So, are you saying that "When Harry Left Hogwarts" is not on the DVD in the combo pack and just on the Blu-Ray? If so, what a rip off. Ah, well, I'm sure my BF will have the BR version, and we can watch it when I go over there on Sunday.
I just double checked it on the Wal-Mart website, US version. They don't list it on the Blu-ray.


__________________
avatar by me and WB, banner by Dark_Disciple

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; November 14th, 2011 at 12:11 am.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #422  
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:07 am
ArryGrotter's Avatar
ArryGrotter  Male.gif ArryGrotter is offline
Too... Much... Fangirling...
 
Joined: 5382 days
Location: Auckland, NZ
Age: 28
Posts: 3,281
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
So, are you saying that "When Harry Left Hogwarts" is not on the DVD in the combo pack and just on the Blu-Ray? If so, what a rip off. Ah, well, I'm sure my BF will have the BR version, and we can watch it when I go over there on Sunday.
As far as I know, there are no special features on the DVD in the combo pack. "When Harry Left Hogwarts" is only a Target exclusive.


__________________
And none will come after...
Farewell to the Harry Potter films

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:24 am
decarus  Female.gif decarus is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 4291 days
Location: Averalaan
Posts: 4,149
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Is there any of the bit where Neville is fighting with the sword as a deleted scene? We saw a bit of it on one of the b rolls and i was wondering if it is out there in any form on any version of the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokitty View Post
Overall, I'm not at all surprised though that they would be withholding materials. I was a hardcore Star Wars fan long before Harry Potter existed, and folks in that fandom have generally learned that we not only have to (VERY) grudgingly accept, but to even EXPECT that bonus materials and extras will be withheld from any video release that has a large, dedicated fan following (it's a concept that Lucasfilm and Fox have pioneered to the rather successful tune of a bajillion-gazillion of dollars!). Unfortunately, I think they look out first and foremost for their bottom line, and by withholding material from one set, is the only way they can ensure that fans will still buy the next set. Especially since they've said they're putting HP movies "back in the vault" after Xmas, I think it's a safe bet there'll be an even bigger, even more comprehensive, even more "complete" (and of course, annoyingly, even more expensive) re-release for Xmas 2012 or 2013. I would also not be at all surprised if that release includes many of the rumored cut scenes that have not been released, while also NOT having many of the extras included on the Ultimate editions and so forth already released -- guaranteeing that really dedicated fans will have had to buy both to get all the bonus materials.
I actually don't think it is fair to compare to Star Wars. I mean when Star Wars came out there were only VHS tapes. There were no extras on movies. That just wasn't a thing. Star Wars sort of rereleased with the creation of new media and released new stuff because they were able to. I mean the new media gave them the ability to release that stuff. And really Star Wars 3 had so many extras on the disc. Hours and hours of good interesting extras and i didn't even get any sort of ultimate edition. I just got a regular dvd release of it.

Harry Potter has held out and has also just in general done a terrible job at creating extras. It is like they don't get what people want as extras. And if they are doing it just to string people along by rereleasing all the time well just good luck with that. All i know is that i have never bought a HP film with good interesting extras and i just don't expect that they are capable of releasing those sort of extras because they did not create them on set during filming. They just don't exist and it is too late.

PS. What i like in extras is analysis of big scenes and if it is under two minutes that is not what i mean. I also like an overview of the film storyline like a making of the film with bits from the actors about what was going on in their process or with their character during filming. I like behind the scenes stuff from scenes being filmed. I like deleted scenes. I like bloopers.

And i think that they tried with those maximum movie things. They are in the right direction. They are just too short. And in some way that may be indicative of the problems with the film as well.


Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:42 am
BubblyShell22  Female.gif BubblyShell22 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4736 days
Location: Indiana
Age: 37
Posts: 1,331
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

I know about the Wal-Mart one. I was asking if it's on the Target DVD or just the Blu-Ray?


__________________
"It is our choices that show us who we truly are far more than our abilities." -Albus Dumbledore.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old November 14th, 2011, 2:13 am
mokitty  Undisclosed.gif mokitty is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3164 days
Posts: 5
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
So, are you saying that "When Harry Left Hogwarts" is not on the DVD in the combo pack and just on the Blu-Ray? If so, what a rip off. Ah, well, I'm sure my BF will have the BR version, and we can watch it when I go over there on Sunday.
It seems that in USA it is not available on any release except a specific Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack -- available ONLY at Target stores.

Many other countries don't seem to be getting it at all, on any format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I actually don't think it is fair to compare to Star Wars. I mean when Star Wars came out there were only VHS tapes. There were no extras on movies. That just wasn't a thing. Star Wars sort of rereleased with the creation of new media and released new stuff because they were able to. I mean the new media gave them the ability to release that stuff. And really Star Wars 3 had so many extras on the disc. Hours and hours of good interesting extras and i didn't even get any sort of ultimate edition. I just got a regular dvd release of it.
Of course I don't mean to say they're the same or to offend anyone! However, with the original Star Wars Trilogy, since DVDs became standard, there have been multiple DVD releases of the original trilogy -- I have 3 sets and I don't think I even have them all, I gave up because every time, there was NEW BONUS MATERIAL that was "just discovered!!!" or "just released from the vault!!!", and I felt they had too much of my money already, and a lot of it I could see on Youtube. Just this year, they re-released the same 3 movies again on a "ALL-NEW!!!" blu-ray package, in which they included MORE previously unreleased deleted scenes, documentaries, behind the scenes things, etc -- but they were all only available in a special box set of all 6 movies. This is 30 years after the movies came out, apparently they STILL didn't release all the deleted scenes and special features.

I'm also not saying that I think Warner Bros. will drag it out that long, but, since it seems they still might be withholding things, I just can't help thinking their stinginess might be intentional, with their purpose being to re-release in the future with new material so people will want to buy it again. They already seemed to succeed with that with the "Ultimate Editions".


Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old November 14th, 2011, 3:30 am
decarus  Female.gif decarus is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 4291 days
Location: Averalaan
Posts: 4,149
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokitty View Post
Of course I don't mean to say they're the same or to offend anyone! However, with the original Star Wars Trilogy, since DVDs became standard, there have been multiple DVD releases of the original trilogy -- I have 3 sets and I don't think I even have them all, I gave up because every time, there was NEW BONUS MATERIAL that was "just discovered!!!" or "just released from the vault!!!", and I felt they had too much of my money already, and a lot of it I could see on Youtube. Just this year, they re-released the same 3 movies again on a "ALL-NEW!!!" blu-ray package, in which they included MORE previously unreleased deleted scenes, documentaries, behind the scenes things, etc -- but they were all only available in a special box set of all 6 movies. This is 30 years after the movies came out, apparently they STILL didn't release all the deleted scenes and special features.

I'm also not saying that I think Warner Bros. will drag it out that long, but, since it seems they still might be withholding things, I just can't help thinking their stinginess might be intentional, with their purpose being to re-release in the future with new material so people will want to buy it again. They already seemed to succeed with that with the "Ultimate Editions".
I am not offended at all. I just think that what WB is doing is different then Star Wars because there has been a lot of reasons why there have been different versions of Star Wars with different extras. Like a new version when they extended and fixed things. A version that was released as the original version. A blu-ray version. I have no idea how many have been released. I have only one copy of those films on dvd, but all i am saying is that i don't think that the Star Wars people are holding back just to make money. I think they are trying to put everything out there as much as they can on their dvds to really make it worth it.

I just don't see that ever happening with HP because the dvd extras have been so bad. Good extras like they have for Star Wars don't exist. The Star Wars people went out of their way to make those extras during the filming of the prequels and they have done a lot to make the extras for the old ones interesting as well even though they weren't at the time that they created those films thinking about extras.

I just think the HP people for whatever reason don't know what they are doing. It is like they don't get what dvd extras are supposed to be.


Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old November 14th, 2011, 4:30 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5787 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,970
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
As far as I know, there are no special features on the DVD in the combo pack. "When Harry Left Hogwarts" is only a Target exclusive.
AND, only on blu-ray in Target for the documentary. There's no reason it couldn't be included on the regular DVD, except for distributor control.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old November 14th, 2011, 4:56 am
boushh's Avatar
boushh  Female.gif boushh is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4537 days
Location: Back in Sev's Corner
Age: 47
Posts: 2,557
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by potions_mistres View Post
Mine had a sticker on the wrapping thAt advertised the demo. Maybe you missed it in the excitement of opening it.
That's exactly what happened. I took the cover portion off and put it to the side. Plus, it didn't occur to me right away that you have to go to the "game" section of the PS3 menu for the demo option to appear. I thought it would say something in the menu of the regular disc. Duh.

As for people buying multiple versions of these films because of all the different releases and comparing them to the SW films... Well I have multiple, VHS, multiple Laserdiscs, multiple DVDs, and now Blu Ray of those films, all with different stuff. And some of the cooler stuff that I have isn't even from official releases! So I think they do hold back...

I'm sure we will get new stuff in the next edition of these films and then when the next big format happens then we'll get more material after that. They say that they don't have a lot of deleted material, but they do... they have to. We've seen bits of deleted scenes that have never made it on a home video release...

and now I'm just rambling...


Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old November 14th, 2011, 5:15 am
decarus  Female.gif decarus is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 4291 days
Location: Averalaan
Posts: 4,149
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

I just have to disagree. There were no dvds 30 years. There were no extras. I don't think the Star Wars people are holding back. The reasons why they have different releases with different extras are just completely different reasons then whatever is going on with the HP films. I am just not convinced that good extras exist for the HP films. And i agree that having a certain type of two disc at only one store for HP is ridiculous. Star Wars doesn't play any of those games. It is just completely different reasoning and thereby not comparable.


Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:48 pm
AnotherD  Undisclosed.gif AnotherD is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 3522 days
Location: Ohio
Age: 47
Posts: 615
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

I watched Part 2 with the Maximum Movie Mode and one thing I found interesting was that as the movie was playing, they would insert the deleted scenes so you could get an idea of how they flowed. I thought that was cool. The rest of the MMM wasn't that impressive, but I do enjoy the behind the scenes stuff so it was worth watching for me. They explain why they cut the scene at Shell Cottage down.


Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old November 14th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Colombe  Female.gif Colombe is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3665 days
Posts: 25
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

I'm confused; could someone tell me if this is the combo pack? (the text is in Swedish)


__________________
Severus Forever
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old November 14th, 2011, 3:31 pm
BubblyShell22  Female.gif BubblyShell22 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4736 days
Location: Indiana
Age: 37
Posts: 1,331
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Okay, I know the Doc is available on the combo pack at Target. My question is, is it available on the DVD of the combo pack, or is it featured only on Blu-Ray?


__________________
"It is our choices that show us who we truly are far more than our abilities." -Albus Dumbledore.
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old November 14th, 2011, 5:25 pm
boushh's Avatar
boushh  Female.gif boushh is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4537 days
Location: Back in Sev's Corner
Age: 47
Posts: 2,557
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I just have to disagree. There were no dvds 30 years. There were no extras. I don't think the Star Wars people are holding back.
There were extras prior to DVD releases, most notably on the Laserdisc releases. And some of them aren't on the DVDs, if I recall correctly. And as I said there is stuff I have that are not on any release because I got lucky. ... Not deleted scenes, but other things that would be considered extras or special features on a DVD.


Quote:
The reasons why they have different releases with different extras are just completely different reasons then whatever is going on with the HP films. I am just not convinced that good extras exist for the HP films. And i agree that having a certain type of two disc at only one store for HP is ridiculous. Star Wars doesn't play any of those games. It is just completely different reasoning and thereby not comparable.
I agree about having different types of exclusives for different stores is frustrating, but it isn't a totally new thing. Best Buy has had extra discs that only they get for other things, or t shirts or other incentives to buy at their store.

I have to disagree that good stuff doesn't exist for HP. Just the flashback sequences from OotP and DH2 alone are likely good and interesting material for fans... especially the DH2 stuff with Gambon and Rickman.


Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old November 14th, 2011, 7:46 pm
ArryGrotter's Avatar
ArryGrotter  Male.gif ArryGrotter is offline
Too... Much... Fangirling...
 
Joined: 5382 days
Location: Auckland, NZ
Age: 28
Posts: 3,281
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombe View Post
I'm confused; could someone tell me if this is the combo pack? (the text is in Swedish)
It looks like it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Okay, I know the Doc is available on the combo pack at Target. My question is, is it available on the DVD of the combo pack, or is it featured only on Blu-Ray?
It's on Blu-ray. All the special features on that release are.


__________________
And none will come after...
Farewell to the Harry Potter films

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:23 pm
JayAJ  Male.gif JayAJ is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3519 days
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

I would just like a good documentary and some interviews about them leaving Harry Potter.


__________________
"Proud Gryffindor member"
Reply With Quote
  #436  
Old November 15th, 2011, 2:29 pm
Colombe  Female.gif Colombe is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3665 days
Posts: 25
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

I ordered this version yesterday. I'm happy; it cost me less than to buy it in a store here in Sweden and it has got all the extra material + Swedish subtitles. The only negative is that I have to wait until December 2nd, but I'm okay with that.


__________________
Severus Forever
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old November 15th, 2011, 3:40 pm
BubblyShell22  Female.gif BubblyShell22 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4736 days
Location: Indiana
Age: 37
Posts: 1,331
Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Thanks, ArryGrotter for the info. I guess I'll have to watch it at my BF's house when I go there as he'll probably have the Blu-Ray. I think that's stupid though. They should include it on the DVD. I'm better off just getting the regular DVD then.


__________________
"It is our choices that show us who we truly are far more than our abilities." -Albus Dumbledore.
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old November 15th, 2011, 9:21 pm
mandragora04  Female.gif mandragora04 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3161 days
Posts: 1
Deathly Hallows Part 2 DVD Missing Scenes

I purchased the Target special blu-ray edition of Deathly Hallows Part 2. I noticed when watching it that some scenes were missing that were there in the theater version.

1. Hogsmeade scene when Aberforth uses his patronus and yells at the death eaters.
2. Ravenclaw Commonroom scene where Harry runs into the Carrow sister.

Now, I haven't yet watched the extra disc with the special features, but those were scenes that were in theaters. Has anyone experienced this?


Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old November 16th, 2011, 2:36 am
HuskyCrown  Male.gif HuskyCrown is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3531 days
Posts: 174
Re: Deathly Hallows Part 2 DVD Missing Scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandragora04 View Post
I purchased the Target special blu-ray edition of Deathly Hallows Part 2. I noticed when watching it that some scenes were missing that were there in the theater version.

1. Hogsmeade scene when Aberforth uses his patronus and yells at the death eaters.
2. Ravenclaw Commonroom scene where Harry runs into the Carrow sister.

Now, I haven't yet watched the extra disc with the special features, but those were scenes that were in theaters. Has anyone experienced this?
Um... are you... suuuuuure you saw those scenes in theaters?


__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=7RkRlgYGdbY

best harry potter song ever!!
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old November 16th, 2011, 3:26 am
potions_mistres  Female.gif potions_mistres is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3471 days
Location: Louisville, KY
Age: 33
Posts: 125
Re: Deathly Hallows Part 2 DVD Missing Scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandragora04 View Post
I purchased the Target special blu-ray edition of Deathly Hallows Part 2. I noticed when watching it that some scenes were missing that were there in the theater version.

1. Hogsmeade scene when Aberforth uses his patronus and yells at the death eaters.
2. Ravenclaw Commonroom scene where Harry runs into the Carrow sister.

Now, I haven't yet watched the extra disc with the special features, but those were scenes that were in theaters. Has anyone experienced this?
I saw it in theaters 8 times, and these scenes were not in the theatrical version. You are thinking of the book.


__________________
Proud Slytherin


Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
deathly hallows, dvd, movies, part 1


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:14 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.