Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Discussion: Deathly Hallows Movie Part One

Old January 22nd, 2011, 4:01 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Discussion: Deathly Hallows Part One v.2

You're right about the Grimmauld Place scenes (Harry finding the letter, which we know was filmed, and the Death Eaters, Yaxley included, standing guard outside for any signs of the trio), which I was looking forward to seeing. It looks like they are fated to join the additional forty minutes of footage from OotP if they will not be included on the Part I DVD, unless they are released in a future bundle or Ultimate Edition.

I Support The Harry Potter Alliance (Potter Pride!)
“I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books."
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2011, 4:13 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
You're right about the Grimmauld Place scenes (Harry finding the letter, which we know was filmed, and the Death Eaters, Yaxley included, standing guard outside for any signs of the trio), which I was looking forward to seeing. It looks like they are fated to join the additional forty minutes of footage from OotP if they will not be included on the Part I DVD, unless they are released in a future bundle or Ultimate Edition.
Yeah, you gotta figure they have to save something for the Ultimate Edition. Or at some point, if they release P1 & P2 as a set, they've got to do something special. Although, now that I think of it, they might release 1 & 2 together as an ultimate edition with lots of added special stuff.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 4:29 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Yes, but no doubt Snape got some sick enjoyment out of it nonetheless.
I disagree. I also feel that if Ron hadn't shown up then Snape would have pulled Harry out of there.

Part of the issue with the lake is that Harry did not take the horcrux off... something that Snape did not know about. If Harry had taken off the horcrux then he would have been able to accomplish the task, but it still would have required bravery.

Somehow I don't think we'll have a deleted scene with Snape being all gleeful at watching Harry almost drown.

However, I'm looking forward to the deleted scenes that have been revealed so far... especially the stuff at Privet Drive and the Burrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshPotter
He also gave that detention to Ginny Neville and Luna to go into the Forbidden Forest and must have made them suffer just about enough to make Phineas Nigellus go "it was cruel".
Phineas Nigellus did not say this line. It was Griphook who said it and who was getting information second hand at the very least, so I'm sorry, I can't say he'd know how "cruel" the punishment was. Phineus Nigellus said that they were sent to the Forest to do some work for the "oaf" Hagrid. Harry didn't think it was a big deal and Hermione's reaction was more about the insult to Hagrid than about the supposed punishment to her close friends. So yeah, I don't think helping Hagrid was some sort of cruel punishment at all... and IMO that was the actual point. Snape was trying to keep them from getting hurt. Griphook's comment was meant to cause fear in the reader and Phineus's comment was supposed to cause relief... except to Ron who was wearing the locket at the time.

I would have liked to see that scene of them stealing the sword in the film as well. I wonder if they could work it into Part 2 somehow and have Bill tell them about it?

Old January 22nd, 2011, 5:22 pm
Registered Animagus

I still don't think that the sword was stolen by Neville, Luna, and Ginny in the filmverse. The minister said it was already taken before the beginning of school. The kids couldn't have taken it.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 5:41 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I still don't think that the sword was stolen by Neville, Luna, and Ginny in the filmverse. The minister said it was already taken before the beginning of school. The kids couldn't have taken it.
Ah yes. Good point. I had forgotten about that line. It still would have been a cool scene and a way to show Ginny and Luna a bit more, but oh well.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 5:47 pm
Seventh Year

Looks like Hermione's dance with Krum isn't included either. Shame.

At least we have the Dursley scenes in their entirety and Arthur's additional bits with Ron and Harry.

EDIT:

Someone on SnitchSeeker brought this to my attention:

http://www.azur.be/nl/catalog/detail.../5051888073674

If this website is legitimate, it lists the additional features for Part I's Blu Ray release. Since several other legitimate websites have the official features of the regular DVD release up, it's not much of a stretch to assume that some distributors have the Blu Ray details too.

Quote:
EXTRA’S op BD:
– Maximum Movie Mode: Voldemort’s Secrets
Sneak Peek: First scene of HP7.2 (TBC)
– Behind the Soundtrack
– The Flight of the Seven Harrys
– Exploring Godric’s Hollow
– The Women of Harry Potter
– Rupert Grint: Not Your Average Guy
– Join the Cast at the WWoHP Grand Opening
Additional Scenes
So, the Blu Ray will exclusively have the "first scene" sneak peek for Part II.

Will the "additional scenes" be the standard deleted scenes or will they include bonuses, such as Grimmauld Place?

“I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books."

Last edited by SwedishSkinJer; January 22nd, 2011 at 6:33 pm.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 8:10 pm
Second Year

More than likely, the deleted scenes between the DVD and the Blu Ray release will be the same. What will be different is the amount of extras on the Blu Ray compared to the DVD.

It sounds as if the Blu Ray is going to get a full Maximum Movie Mode (that includes the focus points mentioned for the DVD and probably more focus points...that always happens on WB's home video releases now) and a few more featurettes that the DVD won't.

That's how the cookie crumbles these days when it comes to DVD and Blu Ray.

Not to mention, WB's obvious holding a few things back for the Ultimate Edition for Part I. Personally, I don't care. I'll get this Blu Ray release and then get the Ultimate Edition when it hits HOPEFULLY by the end of this year....

Old January 23rd, 2011, 7:30 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
Ah yes. Good point. I had forgotten about that line. It still would have been a cool scene and a way to show Ginny and Luna a bit more, but oh well.

True, but the films are pretty consistent in mostly showing scenes from Harry's POV, except for Voldemort ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
I disagree. I also feel that if Ron hadn't shown up then Snape would have pulled Harry out of there.

Part of the issue with the lake is that Harry did not take the horcrux off... something that Snape did not know about. If Harry had taken off the horcrux then he would have been able to accomplish the task, but it still would have required bravery.

Somehow I don't think we'll have a deleted scene with Snape being all gleeful at watching Harry almost drown.

I agree that Snape would have saved Harry in the end if necessary but not for a love of him. It just never comes across in anything that we learn about Snape that he actually cares for Harry at all. The only thing we ever learn about Snape is that he loved Lily and carries a torch for her. Snape doesn't think of saving Harry until Dumbledore suggests it as a way of staying true to Harry. He didn't care that Harry or James would die by Voldemorts hand. It was only Lily he wanted to save.

Old January 25th, 2011, 5:03 am
First Year

So...with the Oscar nominations coming out in a matter of about 8 and a half hours...I hope DH1 can reel in at least one nomination! I know it was shortlisted for special effects (don't know if the list got any shorter). IMO, I do not think it will win anything but nominations would be fantastic! Any guesses as to other catagories it may get nominations if any?

Old January 25th, 2011, 5:11 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoA41 View Post
So...with the Oscar nominations coming out in a matter of about 8 and a half hours...I hope DH1 can reel in at least one nomination! I know it was shortlisted for special effects (don't know if the list got any shorter). IMO, I do not think it will win anything but nominations would be fantastic! Any guesses as to other catagories it may get nominations if any?
I hope it gets nominated for (and wins) Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography.

Old January 25th, 2011, 5:49 am
First Year

Haha, I probably seemed pretty pessimistic when I said that DH1 would not win any Oscars (cause I hope it wins a lot of them). I mean these films don't get the recognition they deserve for the quality work that these filmmakers put out. I wish the academy would see it my way but I know they wont. But who knows? Maybe they will for once. Anyways, good luck DH1!!!!

Old January 25th, 2011, 7:22 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoA41 View Post
Haha, I probably seemed pretty pessimistic when I said that DH1 would not win any Oscars (cause I hope it wins a lot of them). I mean these films don't get the recognition they deserve for the quality work that these filmmakers put out. I wish the academy would see it my way but I know they wont. But who knows? Maybe they will for once. Anyways, good luck DH1!!!!
I know, it's a real shame because that deserve so much more recognition. I think the Academy Awards are always biased. Half-Blood Prince deserved the Oscar for Best Cinematography more than Avatar in my opinion. I'm going off-topic, i'm sorry!)

Old January 25th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Seventh Year

Someone on Harry Potter Forum has updated their thread about Part I's DVD features by listing the time of each individual feature:

Quote:
00:05:14:04 THE SEVEN HARRYS (FEATURETTE)
00:00:36:14 (SC 7 - THE BURROWS SHED - RON DISCUSSES RADIOS WITH MR. WEASLEY) (DELETED SCENE)
00:00:47:12 (SC 15 - THE DURSLEY HOUSE - HARRY AND AUNT PETUNIA AS THEY LEAVE HOUSE) (DELETED SCENE)
00:01:57:12 (SC 16 - THE DURSLEY HOUSE - HARRY AND DUDLEY SHAKE HANDS) (DELETED SCENE)
00:00:23:24 (SC 61 - THE GRANGER HOUSE - DEATH EATER SEARCHES DESERTED HOUSE) (DELETED SCENE)
00:01:44:04 (SC 83 - MINISTRY OF MAGIC LIFTS - HARRY TELLS ARTHUR HE'S BEING TRACKED) (DELETED SCENE)
00:01:32:08 (SC 89 - TENT - TRIO DISCUSS DESTROYING LOCKET) (DELETED SCENE)
00:01:22:03 (SC 108 - RABBIT CHASE IN THE FOREST) (DELETED SCENE)
00:01:45:00 (SC 108 - MONTAGE: RON & HERMIONE SKIMMING STONES) (DELETED SCENE)
00:13:02:15 ON THE GREEN WITH RUPERT, TOM, OLIVER AND JAMES (FEATURETTE)
00:02:28:06 THE LAST DAYS OF PRIVET DRIVE (FOCUS POINT)
00:03:49:06 HAGRID'S MOTORBIKE (FOCUS POINT)
00:02:11:13 MAGICAL TENTS! (FOCUS POINT)
00:02:42:15 DEATH EATERS ATTACK CAFE (FOCUS POINT)
00:03:37:06 CREATING DOBBY AND KREACHER (FOCUS POINT)
00:05:43:21 GODRIC'S HOLLOW (FOCUS POINT)
00:03:57:24 THE FROZEN LAKE (FOCUS POINT)
00:03:33:24 THE RETURN OF GRIPHOOK (FOCUS POINT)
Of particular note is that Harry's scene in the Ministry lift with Mr. Weasley is nearly two minutes long, along with his last conversation with Dudley.

Old January 25th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

OSCAR NODS FOR DH1!!!

Art Direction and Visual Effects

http://oscar.go.com/

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old January 25th, 2011, 1:58 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
OSCAR NODS FOR DH1!!!

Art Direction and Visual Effects

http://oscar.go.com/
Woo! Well, that is something! At least they weren't completely snubbed out of the Oscars, that's for sure. And both categories are very good. Visual Effects would be a great one to win!

Old January 25th, 2011, 2:16 pm
Seventh Year

Both are entirely well-deserved nominations (I'm particularly thrilled about Part 1's art direction, the best of the series for me, getting acknowledged), but I'm disappointed that Eduardo Serra was snubbed for Best Cinematography. Bruno Delbonnel's unexpected nomination last year was delightful, and Serra's cinematography is not as obviously gorgeous as his was due to how thickly unsentimental it is, but he was just as deserving for a nod.

Old January 25th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
Someone on Harry Potter Forum has updated their thread about Part I's DVD features by listing the time of each individual feature:

Of particular note is that Harry's scene in the Ministry lift with Mr. Weasley is nearly two minutes long, along with his last conversation with Dudley.

Wow some of those are quite long. Not bad. Not liking the focus points though. Feels like there should be at least a few more later in the film.

Old January 25th, 2011, 7:46 pm
Second Year

I had a question about Part I if anyone remembers. After Ron's return and the explosion of the locket, the thick smog seems to take the form of Voldemort's face stretching back and forth for a moment before the face disappears. Did I imagine this, or is Voldemort's face actually visible for a moment as the smog-form is taking shape? If so, that was a cool little touch.

Old January 25th, 2011, 8:08 pm
Registered Animagus

I think there was a face as well. It sort of reminded me of the movie of the mummy. It was cool. His freaky looking eye in the locket was something else.

Old January 25th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisKelpman View Post
I had a question about Part I if anyone remembers. After Ron's return and the explosion of the locket, the thick smog seems to take the form of Voldemort's face stretching back and forth for a moment before the face disappears. Did I imagine this, or is Voldemort's face actually visible for a moment as the smog-form is taking shape? If so, that was a cool little touch.
I thought I saw that as well, so I don't think you imagined it!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies