Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old December 11th, 2014, 1:00 am
First Year

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Interstellar -683/10

For Phantom has fallen this day!!!!!!!
12-26-14
The Fall of Phantom
Never forget
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2014, 6:55 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemort_Jones View Post
Interstellar -683/10
That bad? What didn't you like about it?

Wreck It Ralph -- 11/10

Finally got around to seeing this movie. Really love the retro feel to it and it's a blast to watch!

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:51 pm
Sixth Year

The Good German - 5/10

Good idea, great cast, a story with lots of potential... But I don't know whether it is the photography, the settings, the dialogues, the narrator system or everything at the same time that makes it feel so absolutely artificial. Pity.

Old December 20th, 2014, 6:36 pm
Member of the Order

Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies
It was what it was.
And the purists already hate these movies.
But I enjoyed it even though I would have preferred more of a resolution to all involved in said battle.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old December 21st, 2014, 4:43 pm
First Year

The Hobbit the battle of the Five armies 9.5/10

(For comparison purpose unexpected journey is a 9 and desolation of smaug as well as all LOTR are all 10s)

For Phantom has fallen this day!!!!!!!
12-26-14
The Fall of Phantom
Never forget
Old December 22nd, 2014, 8:43 am
Sixth Year

The Hobbit - The Battle of Five Armies 6/10

Let's make a couple of things clear: one, I am a Tolkien fan, but quite tolerant about movie adaptations; two, The Hobbit isn't my favourite Middle Earth book, so my tolerance about changes in the story is even a little wider than usual.

That said, my biggest problem isn't with Tauriel (though, once she was included, they could have written her much better), the relationship between her and Kili (that, again, could be much, much better written), the virtually pointless comings and goings of her and Legolas, the Master of Lake Town or even that idiot of Alfrid, that should serve as a comic relief and only manages to be annoying.

No, my big problem is with what should be behind the story. The movie feels soulless. Battle scenes are great; Smaug burning Lake Town is amazing, but even the epic and dramatic scenes lack life (not action. Life). I'm probably spoiled by the LotR movies, but between them and The Hobbit I have the same criticism that with the Game of Thrones books when someone compares them with Tolkien: no enjoyment of the words, no details that give you the depth and the feeling of Tolkien's world... no life, in short. I could be softer on this if the movie had been made by a stranger, but I can't believe that the man that gave us that beautiful and poetic arrival of Aragorn and Co. in Edoras or that heart-breaking minute at the gates of Moria after Gandalf's fall can make Thorin's last moments so ordinary that only the acting of Richard Armitage and Martin Freeman save them from vulgarity.

There are two things that save this movie: one, the action and battle scenes, absolutely amazing; the second is the acting, which falls almost entirely on Richard Armitage and Martin Freeman. Armitage finally has the chance of shining, and he does. Martin Freeman is simply and absolutely superb and just for seeing him in the auction is worth buying the ticket, not to mention his meeting with Thranduil (that is comic relief) or his last moments with Thorin.

So, did I enjoy it? Certainly. Was it boring? Not at all. Do I feel this could have been much, much more? Undoubtedly.

Old January 1st, 2015, 8:03 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Toy Story 3

Not many films can put a tear in my eye, but these Pixar movies sure can. It's about as perfect a movie as I've ever seen. Superb on all counts. A flawless film.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 2:03 am
Curse Breaker

The Imitation Game - Fascinating story, well written script. Excellent acting performances all round, Cumberbatch continues to impress. 10/10

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:42 pm
Fifth Year

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies

7/10.

Maybe I'm extra forgiving because I've seen so few movies lately.

Maybe I'm rating it so high because I spent the week beforehand reminding myself the the movie wasn't going to be like the book, and that would be okay.

Maybe it's because there actually were a couple scenes here and there that looked like they were lifted nearly word-for-word from the book--I don't want to quibble as to whether or not that was just a bone or two thrown to purists here and there.

But I truly enjoyed it, more than I had for any wingnut production of Tolkien's masterpieces since the first one (FotR). All the others just made me angry about what they'd changed, and how the changes didn't make for better cinema so much as they (imo) gutted the spirit of the books and the intentions of the author. In my point of view, the movie director's changed so much it was a different story from a different paradigm--whole themes went missing and new ones popped up out of nowhere.

But in TH:Bo5A, some of the more important themes actually were still there. Friendship, Loyalty, and the value of small important things like home and hearth and hospitality actually shone through all the silliness, the make-it-big-for-bigness-sake, the vulgarity of things like a skullface codpiece on Azog (or was it Bolg? I get them mixed as Azog shouldn't have been alive to be in this movie anyway) and Dain riding a pig and speaking with a thick Irish brogue. Where did that come from, anyway?

And I was also glad that the comic relief this time came not from demeaning a noble and beloved character such as Gimli, but in the doofus Alfrid. I honestly don't remember for sure if the Master of Laketown even had a right-hand man in the book. But whether he did or not, I didn't mind seeing him made a fool of the way Gimli was made a fool in The Two Towers movie.

I also didn't see any major character assassinations like that perpetrated against Faramir in TTT. I did see characters I liked the book-version of better, but no outright skewering of any of the characters' chief traits and virtues.

Good movie. I liked it. Could've been a fair bit better, but I still liked it.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:31 am
Eldest Gruff

Black Sea 6/10

I enjoyed the acting of Jude Law and the movie is all over all exciting with some neat ideas. But that's it. Too much ol' evil-good structures (although the booker is tha evil, that rocks ), too much depends on the one twist at the middle of the film. Many similarities to Das Boot, while both movies were put in fully different times. Still, enjoyable enough.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 14th, 2015, 1:11 am

Just saw Epic, liked it for the most part. It was pretty fun. B- ; 7/10

Saw Lean on Me via the free HBO/Cinemax preview. It was good, but it seemed a little too neatly wrapped up towards the end of the movie. B+; 8/10

Finally saw Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb. Really loved it, thought it was the best of the three movies. Well worth the watch and everyone brought their A game. A; 8/10.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 16th, 2015 at 1:10 am.
Old January 19th, 2015, 4:02 am
Curse Breaker

Into the Woods - 9/10
Very nicely done, true to the original broadway production story.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 19th, 2015, 6:54 pm
Zonko's Employee

Horrible Bosses 2 - .3/10 - a total waste of time. Grown people acting like 5 year olds gets tiresome very quickly.If I wanted to see that, I'd watch the State of the Union speech.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:42 pm

Lucy -- liked this one better than I thought I would. Well worth the watch. It was pretty thoughtful and action packed. The acting, cinematography and atmosphere were all really good. 8/10 B+

Old January 30th, 2015, 9:23 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

The Imitation Game - 5/10, and 3 of those are entirely for Cumberbatch (and not solely for his acting). Super formulaic. I'm convinced it gets praised only because it's about 1. WWII, and 2. mathematics. People love to geek out on these things and believe they're special because of it. The film is really nothing special though.

Old January 30th, 2015, 3:21 pm
Sixth Year

Mr. Turner 8/10

Excellent Timothy Spall, wonderful photography (it couldn't be otherwise). The storytelling is perhaps a little slow, but this is not precisely an action movie. Worth the ticket price for anyone who's interested in art.

Old January 30th, 2015, 5:40 pm
Eldest Gruff

I recently won a Turner calendar for 2015 by my local cinema, but still didn't make to watch the movie.
(I believe it's no more in regular program now but I still am going to try to watch it one of these days).

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:02 am
Sixth Year

Im Labyrinth des Schweigens, 7.5/10

The problem with movies mainly intended to tell historical real events is that they often turn out to be excellent History lessons but dull movies. Not the case here. They take the advantage that they are narrating a judicial investigation to focus it almost like a thriller, and it works most of the time. The attorney's family sub-plot feels a little forced sometimes, placed there to show the feelings of that generation of Germans about what happened in their parents' time. I understand their including it, only it feels a little too much ad hoc. In any case, it is an excellent film.

Old February 16th, 2015, 3:49 am
Member of the Order

Kingsman was a lot of fun. A comedic take on the spy movie genre.

Aaand I just saw Jupiter Ascendant.
Messy..silly, a lot of the negative stuff the critics said. But there were a lot of moments that it was just plain fun too. Chalk this one up as a guilty pleasure.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old February 19th, 2015, 4:31 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Kingsman was a lot of fun. A comedic take on the spy movie genre.
Well I sincerely hope it was more than that...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion