Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Bewitched & Harry Potter

Old January 16th, 2012, 4:07 am
Third Year

Bewitched & Harry Potter

So, my wife and I had the TV on and the Will Ferel show Bewitched was on. I remember watching the old reruns of the TV show from the 60's. I am not old enough to have seen them the first time, but I remember watching the old black-and-white reruns along with reruns of I Dream of Genie...

Anyway, I got to thinking, there are a lot of connections between Bewitched (the original one...) and the Harry Potter universe. I'm gonna share some of the connections I see between them, and open it up for others to bring up other connections they see... and discuss the possibility that they might exist together!

I see the marriage between Samantha, a witch, and Darrin as her being a pureblood (or close) and a muggle. The show calls them mortals, though, and not muggles... They have two children, Tabitha and Adam, and both are magical. We never get to see them grow to age eleven, but they can both do magic, like Harry does as he is growing up.

Samantha's mother, Esmeralda, can't stand the "mortals" including Darrin and often uses her magic to make a fool of him. This is a bit like someone who does not wand half-blood grandchildren... Samantha wiggles her nose and does not use a wand, but the things that are done are just like spells from the Potterverse.

There is even a character in the show called High Priestess Hephzibah, and based on the dating of the show, it could be the Hufflepuff descendant that Tom Riddle wooes and later kills. This suggests that Samantha Stephens could be an American version of a Hufflepuff, being very loyal to the man she marries, regardless of whether he's magical or not...

So, could Bewitched be a documentation of an American wizarding family linked to the HP universe? Minus the use of wands in lieu of wiggling noses, I see lots of connections! What about you!?

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2012, 6:34 am
Fifth Year

Re: Bewitched & Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
So, my wife and I had the TV on and the Will Ferel show Bewitched was on. I remember watching the old reruns of the TV show from the 60's. I am not old enough to have seen them the first time, but I remember watching the old black-and-white reruns along with reruns of I Dream of Genie...

Anyway, I got to thinking, there are a lot of connections between Bewitched (the original one...) and the Harry Potter universe. I'm gonna share some of the connections I see between them, and open it up for others to bring up other connections they see... and discuss the possibility that they might exist together!

I see the marriage between Samantha, a witch, and Darrin as her being a pureblood (or close) and a muggle. The show calls them mortals, though, and not muggles... They have two children, Tabitha and Adam, and both are magical. We never get to see them grow to age eleven, but they can both do magic, like Harry does as he is growing up.

Samantha's mother, Esmeralda, can't stand the "mortals" including Darrin and often uses her magic to make a fool of him. This is a bit like someone who does not wand half-blood grandchildren... Samantha wiggles her nose and does not use a wand, but the things that are done are just like spells from the Potterverse.

There is even a character in the show called High Priestess Hephzibah, and based on the dating of the show, it could be the Hufflepuff descendant that Tom Riddle wooes and later kills. This suggests that Samantha Stephens could be an American version of a Hufflepuff, being very loyal to the man she marries, regardless of whether he's magical or not...

So, could Bewitched be a documentation of an American wizarding family linked to the HP universe? Minus the use of wands in lieu of wiggling noses, I see lots of connections! What about you!?
Very interesting!
I am old enough to remember this show when it was originally on TV. I loved it and still do! I have all eight seasons on DVD.

Just a correction.
Samantha's mother is Endora, Esmerelda is one of Samantha's many relatives who ends up as housekeeper/childminder for the Stevens.

Samantha's Uncle Arthur reminds me of Neville's Great Uncle Algie, or Ron's Great Uncle Billius.
The Stevens' next door neighbours, Abner and Gladys could be Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia.
Dr Bombay is the Gilderoy Lockhart, vain and self absorbed, whose "spells/potions" never seem to work properly.

Old January 17th, 2012, 4:16 am
Third Year

Thanks for the corrections and the input Snugglepot!

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old January 17th, 2012, 4:39 am
Second Year

This is interesting. I notice a pattern in these shows and HP, if one is magical, it is kept secret from nonmagical folks, Endora obviously dislikes "mortals" and is so contemptuos towards Darrin she deliberately calls him by the wrong name [Durwood comes to mind], some of the older witches and wizards dress very flamboyantly.All but Samantha seem to be very eccentric also.

I think they really are supposed to be immortal, which raises a question, Aunt Clara, poor befuddled Aunt Clara! She obviously old and kind of dotty! So they do age, but maybe slower? I would hate to spend eternity in the state she was in!

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old January 17th, 2012, 7:14 am
Fifth Year

I loved Aunt Clara! She was one of my favourite characters. I was so sad when she was no longer in it.
I loved Darrin's parents and Samantha's father Maurice. The episodes with the two families coming together were the ones I really enjoyed!

Old October 22nd, 2012, 4:30 am
Banned

I saw the reruns of the old 60's show, and the movie with Nicole Kidman, but never made the connection with HP. Good catch, Captain Mills!

Yes, there is definitely some parallels, that previous posters pointed out.

Oh and it was "I Dream of Jeannie", not "Genie". Play on words, since they sound exactly the same. I watched reruns of that one too. Also a magical being and a Muggle male counterpart who's clueless about magic.

Old July 13th, 2016, 6:00 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

It's amazing how well it fits into the Potterverse.

Old July 14th, 2016, 9:02 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Great catch.
Magical illnesses solved with magic . strange potions , aperation and disaperation, a wizards council that hands out punishments for rule breaking . all of these were part of the show and were also found in HP.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old July 14th, 2016, 3:57 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I find it ironic that America's religious right reacted with such hostility towards HP when a TV show about witchcraft and wizardry was on air for eight years and 250+ episodes decades before HP was even written.

Old July 14th, 2016, 9:51 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
I find it ironic that America's religious right reacted with such hostility towards HP when a TV show about witchcraft and wizardry was on air for eight years and 250+ episodes decades before HP was even written.
Well, no one ever accused the Religious Right of logic or consistency, so...not that surprising, really.

Never really caught the connections between HP and Bewitched, but when you think about it, there are some definite similarities! I did, however, use a Bewitched-related pic as part of a Battle of the Sexes thread that used to run on COS:

Gotta love Endora...

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:20 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Endora was a married man's worst nightmare.

A mother in law with magical powers.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve