Embroidered by imaginatio

Pottermore v.12

Previous version: Pottermore v.11

PLEASE READ

What is on-topic:

Questions and information about, and analysis of, Pottermore itself

What is off-topic:
  • general squeeing about Pottermore and other posts which lack substance
  • whether you have registered for Pottermore yet or not (e.g. "Yay! I've just got my username and it's Snape'sUnderpants666!"). Go to the Pitchside if you want to post that sort of thing. You can put your username in your signature if you want (although there have been reports of people who'd posted their username online being hacked so you may wish to leave the final digits off as a precaution).
  • how you are feeling/what you are doing at the moment (e.g. "I'm so excited! But I don't know how I'm going to stay up all night. Maybe I'll drink coffee?" Go to the Pitchside if you want to post that sort of thing
  • questions or comments about CoS (e.g. "How is posting my username offtopic?", "Why has my post count gone down?") There is an Ask the Staff thread where you can post these things, or you can owl a mod.
What will get you banned (amongst other things):
  • posting illegal links
  • posting your e-mail address or 'phone number or asking other members for theirs
  • repeatedly ignoring the above

Speculation

What is OK here:

Reasonable, fact-based speculation, where you try to piece together the possible ways Pottermore might work, on the basis of information about the site already in the public domain, and use hypothesis to try to fill in some of the gaps.

What is not OK here:

*Wild, unfounded speculation (e.g. if the HP actors joined Pottermore, what do you think their usernames would be?)
*General "It would be so cool if..'" wish lists
*Discussion that stops being about Pottermore and starts being about you (e.g. when a How Might the Pottermore Sorting System Work? discussion turns into a The Kind of Sorting System I Would Construct If It Were Up To Me discussion, it's off-topic)

Also, please respect the wishes of the Pottermore staff e.g. if you think you've worked out a way that members can rig their answers to the Pottermore sorting quiz to get the house they want, please don't share it here, as it's obvious that the Pottermore team don't want people to rig their quiz.

Please also respect the privacy of all of those connected to the HP franchise and do not spread unconfirmed rumours or speculation about who has a Pottermore account.

Last edited by Hes; September 23rd, 2012 at 11:44 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:39 am
Second Year

Re: Pottermore v.12

First post!!

I hope no one minds if I post my question again from the other thread because no one replied

Quote:
Quick question!

You know the "like" buttons by each comment ... am I the only one for whom they don't work? I mean, I can "like" somebody's post alright and it registers, but for months now (maybe since beta I can't remember) nobody's posts have had any likes at all for them. Is it like this for everyone or is it just me?
Posts used to say
"blah blah blah"
3 people liked this

Now it just says
"blah blah blah"

Or am I the only one who bothers to "like" people's posts anymore ... surely that can't be right Why can't I see which posts have been "liked"??
A simple "I can't see which posts have been 'liked' either" or "Yes I am able to see posts that have been 'liked'" will do

I hope i've explained it correctly

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:04 pm
First Year

thank you, Asphodel what do you want in return?

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post
First post!!

I hope no one minds if I post my question again from the other thread because no one replied

A simple "I can't see which posts have been 'liked' either" or "Yes I am able to see posts that have been 'liked'" will do

The button “like” works for me.

For potions: brewing times are too long ... Yesterday I tried 3 times to do another Polyjuice Potion (part 1) to give it to someone, but nothing! And every time it takes me an hour! I think 15 minutes would be more than enough.

Last edited by Verena; September 23rd, 2012 at 12:38 pm.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 1:24 pm
The Potions Master

I pay little attention to posts on Pottermore and even less to whether someone likes those posts or not. Sorry.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old September 23rd, 2012, 3:09 pm
Second Year

Is anyone else having problems with the swelling solution? I have never had problems with potions before.
Now, I keep getting to the end bit, and when I start to heat the potion i get the pop-up saying it hadn't worked because I didn't keep the temperature in the correct range. The thing is, it happens when I've just turned the heat on, so it hasn't even had the chance to get into the right range! It's really frustrating me D:

Old September 23rd, 2012, 3:15 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post

I can "like" other member's posts, but it appears to be on a personal basis as I can't see any comments where other people may have liked them. Where as with chapters, character and extra magical info and people's uploaded artwork - I can view how many people have "liked" those particular things.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 3:18 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
Is anyone else having problems with the swelling solution? I have never had problems with potions before.
Now, I keep getting to the end bit, and when I start to heat the potion i get the pop-up saying it hadn't worked because I didn't keep the temperature in the correct range. The thing is, it happens when I've just turned the heat on, so it hasn't even had the chance to get into the right range! It's really frustrating me D:
The funny thing is that I haven't had any problem with swelling solution, but I have failed at making potions that I have made hundreds of times. Herbicide failed because of a glitch that is similar to yours, it said I did something wrong when I didn't do it. Antidote to Common Poisons failed because I stirred too many times. The counter was slow measuring the turns. And I had trouble stirring the Wideye potion and the timer ran out. Is anyone else having trouble with stirring?

I've decided not to make too many potions until Pottermore has fixed some of these problems.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old September 23rd, 2012, 3:24 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

I tried the swelling potion once but the receipt didn't want to close in the second part, thus the potion failed. I think 60 minutes (I only have a pewter cauldron) is a bit long.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 23rd, 2012, 3:31 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
Quite a few people are having this problem and it seems to occur on older systems. Report it to Pottermore, be specific about the pro.blem and give them your computer stats-type, OS, browser, versions, etc.

You may want to read through the end of v.11 of this thread for more info. If you can get someone to gift you a swelling solution it will open Snape's private stores and allow you to continue. I have several available, brewed for this purpose, but am limited to computer access today. To transfer a portion you will need to friend me on Pottermore (see my signature below). You'll need to owl me your Pottermore username so I know who to send it to.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm
Eldest Gruff

Didn't someone ask recently whether the cauldrons still explode if you mess something up with the heating?

Yup - the do.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 3:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpb70 View Post
thank you, Asphodel what do you want in return?
You are very welcome! If you would like to send an ingredient or two, that would be fabulous. I should finish up the second part this afternoon. I'll send it to you once it's done.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Old September 23rd, 2012, 4:11 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Didn't someone ask recently whether the cauldrons still explode if you mess something up with the heating?

Yup - the do.
My copper cauldron exploded because I stirred too many times.

I have one extra swelling solution. If someone needs it, I'll gift it to them. Just send me your Pottermore name.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; September 23rd, 2012 at 4:15 pm. Reason: I just have one extra swelling solution.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 5:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS
Where are the request and the instructions for it? I must have missed them somehow, I don't remember seeing anything about Polyjuice potion...
if you got the book from the library it will be with your other potions book.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 6:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Elven View Post
if you got the book from the library it will be with your other potions book.
Yes, I found it, thank you. But I'm really hopeless at potions, so I'll ask a kind soul to brew it for me, in exchange for whatever they want that I may have.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:04 pm
First Year

So you have to make a swelling solution before you can collect Boomslang skin and what not from Snapes office?

Potions was my favorite way of earning house points. Until now. Who's smart idea was it that from one single mistake, you cant refresh and start where you left like before, but you have to start all over from the beginning, and wait an hour for it to sit and brew again? -.-

When do you guys think the House Cup will be announced? In the beginning, middle, or end of November? And when do you guys think the last CoS chapter would be released? Beginning, middle or end of October?

And what are some thing you are anticipating for in the next chapters? Like extra info, or possible new interactive games, and what not.

The art and graphics are really amazing. Like the Crash Landing scene. I hope they could do the graphics of the Polyjuice potion taking affect, I think that would have a lot of potential. Can't wait to see how they portray Tom Riddle (fav character) , if they do. And Headmaster Dippet, if they do. I'm also praying for extra info on Tom Riddle :P

Another thing, how exactly do cauldrons blow up? Because I've never had my cauldron blow up but I do mess up a lot..

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcipher View Post
So you have to make a swelling solution before you can collect Boomslang skin and what not from Snapes office?
Yes. And those ingredients are needed to brew poly juice potion, which takes a very long time and for which no points are awarded. Current speculation is it will be needed to unlock something in the future chapters.

Quote:
Another thing, how exactly do cauldrons blow up? Because I've never had my cauldron blow up but I do mess up a lot..
I've yet to blow up a cauldron in the new lab. In the old lab green smoke ould issue from the cauldron and it would melt down and you could no longer use it. Five points would be taken from your house. I really don't want to know what it looks like in the new lab!

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:32 pm
Second Year

The main reason I joined Pottermore was to get extra information. I really would like more information on Riddle. Most of all I'm looking forward to more information on James and Lily. We have the least amount of information on them.

It took me seven attempts to get swelling solution right. Then I looked at the instructions for the polyjuice potion and was just like, "Wow! The swelling solution is nothing compared to this."

I'm looking forward to memories in the diary, the polyjuice potion transformation and seeign the Chamber and the basilisk in all their glory.

I see a lot of people want a quiz to determine their patronus and animagus. They also want quidditch. i'd like ot know my patronus too.

I'm still wondering what the lock next to gringotts and diagon alley is. I think its Hogsmeade. Some think its quidditch but I thought if it was quidditch it would have been unlocked already.

Looking forward to more Pottermore updates!

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
Yes. And those ingredients are needed to brew poly juice potion, which takes a very long time and for which no points are awarded. Current speculation is it will be needed to unlock something in the future chapters.

I've yet to blow up a cauldron in the new lab. In the old lab green smoke ould issue from the cauldron and it would melt down and you could no longer use it. Five points would be taken from your house. I really don't want to know what it looks like in the new lab!
Thanks for clarifying!

And phooey! Yet another failed attempt at to Polyjuice Potion, it said I didn't keep the temperature within range, but I'm positive I did. -.- I had 1 second left for heating, and the thermometer was green! Ugh. Here goes another hour of waiting for it to brew -.-

Any tips on how to keep the temperature right on low? It's very difficult. I turn the cauldron from Off to Medium, Off to Medium, to keep it on low, but not too low or not too high. But I still manage to mess up somehow.

I may just have to beg for a swelling solution and Polyjuice potion from the Great Hall or something. I don't have the patience for it anymore

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:41 pm
Second Year

I just looked at polyjuice and knew I did not have patience with it. I got so annoyed at sweeling solution. Ugh! For the second half on polyjuice you have to wait 24hrs or so. Its long adn difficult but we have to try.

I fully appreciate Hermione's brilliance and patience to brew this.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak