Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

Old April 18th, 2013, 6:49 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: CoS Speed Writing Competition 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucybird View Post
Actually managed to write something today. Only about 450 words, but that's not too bad for 15 minutes
Very well done. My goal is usually 1K/1Hr. So extrapolating that out, you might have made 2K or at the very least 1500. WTG!

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Third Year

I've gotten some writing done too, about five pages (front and back). It's not a lot but I recently changed my plot a little bit so I had to make some adjustments. But now that I've started writing, I'm getting really into it!

Old April 19th, 2013, 2:04 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I've gotten some writing done too, about five pages (front and back). It's not a lot but I recently changed my plot a little bit so I had to make some adjustments. But now that I've started writing, I'm getting really into it!
Excellent!

Only did about 500 words last night. Not a good night's work. Can't wait until I can get back into writing 5-6 days a week. Got to keep those creative muscles flexed and working.

Old April 20th, 2013, 4:48 pm
Suteki da ne

I know you asked me via owl, Desraelda, but if you'd prefer to use ArryGrotter's site to post your stories instead of the site I set up (in ten minutes, I'm not exactly attached to it yet hehe) then that's cool if ArryGrotter is cool with it

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 21st, 2013, 1:33 am
Registered Animagus

No, I don't prefer. This is your contest and if you want to stay with the site you set up, that's fine with me. I just wanted to let you know about the new site.

Since everything I write is for publication, I won't be posting any of my work. I just wanted to post my wordage and maybe help or encourage the other participants.

Old April 24th, 2013, 9:09 pm
Suteki da ne

Well, we could spread it through this site, my site and ArryGrotter's site? Just to keep track wherever people are

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old April 27th, 2013, 1:35 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Well, we could spread it through this site, my site and ArryGrotter's site? Just to keep track wherever people are
We'll just stick with the one site. I'm on too many forums as it is.

Old May 6th, 2013, 2:36 pm
Suteki da ne

Well, I'm up to about five thousand words, which isn't great, but I've been a lot more busy than I thought I'd be this past week, my laptop hasn't even been on for a while...

I do all of my writing on paper first though, so I don't really need my laptop for the writing part, it's just the updating that I have a problem with sometimes- I can write a bit when I'm having a coffee at work or whatever. I've just had so much training to do in work, it adds between four and eight more hours to my workload each day's training.

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old May 6th, 2013, 9:13 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Well, I'm up to about five thousand words, which isn't great, but I've been a lot more busy than I thought I'd be this past week, my laptop hasn't even been on for a while...

I do all of my writing on paper first though, so I don't really need my laptop for the writing part, it's just the updating that I have a problem with sometimes- I can write a bit when I'm having a coffee at work or whatever. I've just had so much training to do in work, it adds between four and eight more hours to my workload each day's training.
Five thousand words is pretty good. As long as you're writing something your reaching your goal!
Last night, I added on two more pages and seven pages the night before.
Right now, I'm having the hardest time staying focused on my current story. I've got so many other story ideas I want to write but I figured I'd be able to stick to one. Now, whenever I'm bored with one story, I stray onto another. That's really frustrating as I'm sure I'd have gotten pretty far if I'd stuck to my original story!

Old May 27th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Fourth Year

I haven't gotten very far on this. I haven't found motivation for writing lately. Normally, I would just write anyway, come up with something even if it's not good, but I haven't even felt like opening my writing programme. Maybe I'll get some writing done during this competition, maybe not. But I will continue with this story, eventually. I like it quite a lot.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old May 29th, 2013, 7:55 am
Suteki da ne

Sigh. I'm sorry about not posting here recently, but it's been a very difficult time for me- I recently lost my mother-in-law and my heart hasn't really been in writing.

However, I've got to do something, and writing always helps, and we've still got a month to go

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:31 am
Suteki da ne

I got up to 5k-ish words, but because of a few personal reasons, I was unable to continue.

I wonder how everyone else did

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old July 12th, 2013, 4:34 am
Third Year

I didn't get to my goal either but I'm going to try again for the rest of this month until August!

Old July 16th, 2014, 7:28 am
Sixth Year

Hello, fellow writers! Obviously it's 2014 now, and this 2013 CoS Speed Writing Competition is long gone. But if you are still interested in writing, I found an awesome new tool!

It's called ilys.com, and it's fantastic! It prevents you from editing until you've reached your word count goal. You can only see one letter at a time, which I thought would be annoying, but it's actually very conducive to creative flow because you can only focus on what you're writing now in the moment instead of worrying about what you've already written. If you're like me, always fussing over every sentence and reading previous paragraphs, this is 100% worth your time. It used to take me hours to reach my daily word count goal, and now I'm plunking out 1,000 words like it's nothing.

I took a leap of faith and decided to do Camp NaNoWriMo. Unlike the November session of NaNo, you can choose any word count goal for Camp. But I decided to keep the default goal 50,000 since that's what the real NaNo is. So far I'm almost 25k in after only about two weeks. This is unheard of for me. I'm still shocked I got this far. And I intend to finish! If I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck, everyone! Seriously, give ilys a try. It's done wonders for me.

ETA:

I did it! I won Camp NaNoWriMo by reaching my word count goal of 50k during the month of July. My novel is still far from finished, but I've gotten farther than I ever have before. I know have an actual, novel- (or at least novella-) length manuscript. Time to power through till the end! However, I am considering putting it on pause to try my hand at the real NaNoWriMo come November. It'll be especially tricky since I'll be in school. But now that I know I have it in me to write 50k words in a month, let's see how I do with a little extra pressure added on.

Last edited by GrangerHermione; February 7th, 2015 at 6:40 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner