Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

Old March 28th, 2007, 4:58 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

Personally, I think that the question merits answering, even if Rowling never addresses it in the 7th book.
I kind of figured that she did it - and she obviously put a lot of thought into this particular scene, because she's been planning it an awfully long time - for a couple of reasons.
One, it does show the balance between the muggle and magical worlds. I think it kind of makes you wonder too - are all tornados really created by wind, or are some of them really manifestations created in our minds due to destruction reaked by giants? In other words - I think it's kind of Rowling's way of pointing out that we - as in all people, magical and muggle - are only really willing to see the ends of our noses. There's so much in the Potter books that happens 'underground,' and it seems to be hidden from us - even when sometimes, the answer may be right in front of us.
Also, the magical world seems to function on this level that is so apart and separate from the muggle world - but they're never really apart - or even that distinct - are they? There are so many blurred lines. Rowling pointed out that witches and wizards are not familiar with muggle habits - think back to the Qudditch World Cup, and all of the interesting....outfits....they wore. And yet, they use muggle cars to get around (albeit sometimes megically altered), and we use so many of the same items - teapots, broomsticks, toilets, for goodness sake! And there are enough people who live sort of -between- the worlds - like children with one muggle parent, one magical parent. Magical children born to muggles and squibs. And so on.

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2007, 3:13 am
First Year

Re: Why did JKR feel it was necessary for us to know the Prime Minister of Britain?

The main purpose J.K. Rowling used this scene was not for anything special; she probably just utilized the introduction of the new minister and the prior conversation as a means of establishing that the war has begun, that the killing has started, that Voldemort has initiated his campaign. It was just intended to instill within the reader the sinister and ominous feeling that pervades the entire book.

Old April 4th, 2007, 3:25 am
First Year

I think that she showed us the Prime Minister of Britian just to tell us that he knows the truth and that the MoM was in contact with him. The best way to justify showing the PM was to show the new Minister of Magic meet with the PM.

Spoilers earn you a one-way ticket to torture. You will have to join Snape in a plane forever. It's like detention you can't escape even if you wanted to. YOU ARE WARNED!!!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

"America has this weird thing for food. Whenever they find something thats really good they have to bread it and fry it."-MEhttp://kevan.org/brain.cgi?anyankasghost
Old April 4th, 2007, 3:45 am
First Year

Ya, I think that it was simply to reveal to the reader the relation ship between the muggle and magical worlds, she might be foreshadowing to the seventh book, but I think the scene fulfills itself when its over, and doesn't need revisiting, but I would love to see it come up again.

"Sin wouldn't be so popular if its wages were paid immediately." -Anonymous-

"All gave some. Some gave all. Some are still giving. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!"

~God Bless~
Old April 4th, 2007, 6:11 am
Third Year

I don't know about you guys but it reminds me of the prophecy. ...one can't live with out the other one.... I am wondering if one can't live with out the other one????

I felt that the Muggle Prime Minster was Blair and that he was going to talk to the us president Bush. Did anybody feel the same way???

Dumbledore's Girl through and through.

Hay que evitar la fatiga. ~Noemi~

ˇViva la causa! ~Cesar Chavez~

I love The Beatles!

I love U2!

Old April 4th, 2007, 6:26 am
Third Year

In my opinion, just because JK Rowling introduced us to a new character doesn't mean they're going to come into the plot again at a crucial moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyankasghost
I think that she showed us the Prime Minister of Britian just to tell us that he knows the truth and that the MoM was in contact with him. The best way to justify showing the PM was to show the new Minister of Magic meet with the PM.
Well said.

Old April 4th, 2007, 8:56 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by esme_grint View Post
I don't know about you guys but it reminds me of the prophecy. ...one can't live with out the other one.... I am wondering if one can't live with out the other one????

I felt that the Muggle Prime Minster was Blair and that he was going to talk to the us president Bush. Did anybody feel the same way???
If we go by the time in which the books are set: the Prime Minister in 1996 was John Major while the US President would have been Bill Clinton.

Old April 4th, 2007, 9:17 am
Second Year

Quote:
If we go by the time in which the books are set: the Prime Minister in 1996 was John Major while the US President would have been Bill Clinton.
But being as the book is fiction she could model the primeminister on anyone that she wanted

The primeminister was a useful tool in adding a bit of lightheartedness as well as showing that the war had started and showing the seriousness of the situation.

Old April 4th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Fifth Year

I find it a bit interesting that few people think that there are messages to be found in this scene. I, on a personal level, find nothing lighthearted about the scene at all.
To review: Yes, the minister is afraid of the wizards - but he has every cause to be, doesn't he? Not only do they treat him with disdain and even absolute rudeness, but he knows so very little about them. Plus, it's already mentioned that, except for the very first visit, which wasn't exactly fun for him, all of the visits so far have to been to bring about bad news.
Also, this time, the news in particularly bad, isn't it? People - muggles - have died because of the wizards' war, and not in very nice ways. Between evil spells and giants, you have to imagine that the muggle world is in a state of uproar - even though they don't know what is going on, they obviously do know that something is going on.
Plus, we are meeting the British PM at a time when his career - through absolutely no fault of his own, as he obviously does seem to care for his people - is in serious trouble.
Other than a few humerous remarks about not being able to remove the portrait from the wall, I didn't find the scene funny at all.
Plus, we're also meeting Fudge at his most sincere moment througout the entire series, and we are meeting Scrimgeour for the first time.
However, Rowling could have introduced Scrimgeour in thousands of different ways - anything from having him giving media reports to being in Dumbledore's Pensieve (perhaps from a time earlier on), or even by having him introduced personally to Harry at the beginning of the book. The fact that the wizard and muggle worlds are in contact was already pretty obvious to close readers of the books, and could have merely been brought up again as a reminder.
Now, I am not arguing that the scene will take on some huge role of importance as far as the plot goes - I honestly cannot imagine the muggle PM brandishing a sword at some wizard in the name of the Queen (although, honestly, I do find it to be quite funny as a mental image ).
However, when you consider how long it took Rowling to be able to work this scene into the books - and she's much to smart to give us any kind of useless information, especially in the form of an entire chapter - and when you consider what it actually means - about the muggle world being so affected by the goings-ons between wizards, about the relationship between muggles and wizards, etc., I think the chapter holds a great deal of significance.
Particularly, if you were someone who was interested in Rowling's portrayal of the potential and existing relationship between the two worlds, the chapter would be very important. In a way, I think that it's kind of Rowling's way of reminding us of the fact that we're interconnected, and yes, I mean that in terms of the prophecy (as someone else mentioned above), but also in the Lion-King's-Circle-of-Life kind of way.
There's a lesson there, that may or not play an important role in the last book, but that, in terms of where the series is now, and in terms of where the relationship/communicational abilities and responsibilities between the worlds is of vast importance.
At least, that's what I think.

Old April 6th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Second Year

I don't think it was relevant to the story, it's just a way of showing the effect of Voldie and his DE's on the muggle world as well as the magical one. It was an interesting way of showing what has happened throughout the holidays, from a different point of view for a change.

More great writing skills from Jo...

Old April 6th, 2007, 2:14 pm
First Year

I think that she felt that it's necessary to tell us about that because she wanted to show us that thare's war not only in the magical world, but in muggle's worls either.

Old April 11th, 2007, 5:32 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
I think that she felt that it's necessary to tell us about that because she wanted to show us that thare's war not only in the magical world, but in muggle's worls either.
Couldn't have put it better myself.I agree

Old April 12th, 2007, 11:44 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenEye View Post
Please note that JKR has never (by her own admission) intentionally written any character, save one, that was meant to resemble a real, living Muggle.

Professor Lockhart is the only character she intentionally modelled after a real person that she found to be ungodly obnoxious. She actually says that she toned Lockhart down a bit from the real person.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:51 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernInkling View Post
I think it was just a good way for JKR to start off the book - give a brief summary of the major events in previous books, and describe (from a Muggle perspective, for once) how the war is going.
Personally, I think it is a brilliant first chapter, and I like it better every time I read it. Of course, that's the way it is for every other part of the book, too
these are kinda like my perspectives on the first chapter.

Old April 13th, 2007, 12:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
these are kinda like my perspectives on the first chapter.
me too,you have to sum up thepreviou book with something this kind of gives a motive and starts the sory right of.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old April 25th, 2007, 5:08 am
First Year

For one thing,to show us Fudge's fall from grace, and how he handles an "advisory capacity."
Also to introduce us to the Umbridge relative hanging on the wall.(I trust we all beleive the froglike man with the cough came from her side.)
To show us Kinsley Shaklebolt is his bodyguard.
But most of all to show us Sirius"s innocence has been acknowledged by the Ministry, but not released to the public. The fact that no one gives details about the Ministry battle, and Slughorn's question, "Ever hear of Sirius Black? Died a few weeks ago" tells us their keeping it real quiet. Still trying to cover their behinds. Luckely Fudge considers the Muggle Prime Minister someone safe to dump his surrows on to. That should play an important role in DH.

Old April 25th, 2007, 5:26 am
Second Year

I think the scene was an excellent way to let us know what specifically the MoM and wizarding world in general was thinking and feeling about the whole situation they are in. The fact that that meeting wasn't supposed to occur between the two leaders unless something really really bad happens, emphasizes the dire times. It basically sets the tone for the next two years. Therefore, the muggle PM was simply another side character involved in creating a larger picture. More specifically, we met the new wizard minister of magic.

Old April 25th, 2007, 5:32 am
First Year

I think this chaper has a few functions.

1. Introduction to Muggle PM
2. Show how bad Fudge is at restoring order and being Minister for Magic
3. Show how events in the Wizarding world have worsened over the time Fudge has been in office
4. Show how the events in the Wizarding world are spreading further and further into the muggle world
5. Introduction of Scrimgeour

it was just a good way to introduce all these things and a nice opening to the book.

Old April 25th, 2007, 5:41 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by monadblue View Post
I think this chaper has a few functions.

3. Show how events in the Wizarding world have worsened over the time Fudge has been in office
4. Show how the events in the Wizarding world are spreading further and further into the muggle world

it was just a good way to introduce all these things and a nice opening to the book.
Completely agree. Also it reminds us, as readers, that Muggles are [obviously] going to be HUGELY affected by the up-coming wizarding 'war'. We hear, that mere months after Voldemorts rise, a tremendous amount of damage has happened to the Muggles. It's showing that all these things Harry is doing, every choice he makes, is to protect a huge population of people, not just his wizarding mates/family etc.

So, ya know, no pressure Harry.

Old April 25th, 2007, 6:16 pm
First Year

I agree as well with the previous two posts. Many others seem to think there is much more going on there than there really is. Be careful of getting into this rut where out of desire to fully know what is going on there are elaborate theories derived where none are required. Occam's Razor: The simplest answer tends to be the right one.

Quote:
Simple and effective

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives