Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Lightning Thief

Old February 7th, 2010, 4:16 am
Fourth Year

Re: The Lightning Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
Yes they definitely misfired with annabeth. As for clarisse, they didn't cast her? That makes no sense. She is such an important character in the 2nd and last book.
They'll probably just pull a Scrimgeour and introduce her later than is canon in the books.

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2010, 6:54 pm
Member of the Order

Well...the changes do make some sense...
Columbus has been criticized with his last two big movies as having been unimaginatively "literal" and overlong. I daresay this movie will shut some of those critics up.

Spoiler: show
I was kind of hoping Columbus would have kept Ares in the script, but that didn't happen. Which makes sense since Clarisse wasn't in it either.

Columbus apparently wanted to put the god back in demigod. And I liked that. It wasn't the book in that perspective, but in some ways, ways that made sense to me, the movie was better than the book.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old February 14th, 2010, 4:32 am
Second Year

Well, I don't think it should have been called Percy Jackson and the Olympians. They should just have named it something entirely different, because it was nothing like the book.

Proud Gryffindor
Old February 14th, 2010, 5:07 am
Member of the Order

*shrugs*

No one would have swallowed the idea of three 12 year olds running around. And that's just my first gripe about the book. Another was the lack of emotional context in the book. Parental issues should have played a huge role, but I read very little of that. Columbus remedied that a little in the movie.

Ok, I can see the protests welling up from those that like the book. But to me, there were a lot of problems with Riordan's writing.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old February 14th, 2010, 5:12 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
I was kind of hoping Columbus would have kept Ares in the script, but that didn't happen. Which makes sense since Clarisse wasn't in it either.
I think we are going to see this on Monday, but I'd like to know how they did the 'lightning thief' if this guy isn't in the movie?

Old February 14th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
No one would have swallowed the idea of three 12 year olds running around.
They did for Harry Potter.

Old February 14th, 2010, 8:39 pm
Member of the Order

Harry Potter...? Lets think about that for a moment.

The threesome in a boarding school with teachers and older students constantly overseeing them.

I can swallow that.

Three 12 year olds running around the country...?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
I think we are going to see this on Monday, but I'd like to know how they did the 'lightning thief' if this guy isn't in the movie?
*winks*
Was stealing the bolt Ares' idea to begin with?

Last edited by Midnightsfire; February 14th, 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old February 15th, 2010, 1:16 am
Second Year

Quote:
Harry Potter...? Lets think about that for a moment.

The threesome in a boarding school with teachers and older students constantly overseeing them.

I can swallow that.

Three 12 year olds running around the country...?
No.

*winks*
They did change the age because of Harry Potter, and The Last Airbender is about 12 year olds running around the world and people will see that. But even if you think that wouldn't work, why not include Ares, or even make the camp look remotely like it is?

Proud Gryffindor
Old February 15th, 2010, 1:51 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
*winks*
.......oh dear. I guess it's been to long since I've read the book. I think I remember now.
Wasn't it Hades? Percy had to save his mom and get the bolt from him?

I think I'll re-read the book.

Old February 15th, 2010, 2:40 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
.......oh dear. I guess it's been to long since I've read the book. I think I remember now.
Wasn't it Hades? Percy had to save his mom and get the bolt from him?

I think I'll re-read the book.
It was actually Kronos' idea.

Proud Gryffindor
Old February 15th, 2010, 3:12 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby_26 View Post
They did change the age because of Harry Potter, and The Last Airbender is about 12 year olds running around the world and people will see that.
The Last Airbender is a cartoon. Or were you thinking of the movie? (Which has plenty of adults in it)
Quote:
But even if you think that wouldn't work, why not include Ares, or even make the camp look remotely like it is?
I can't say about Ares.
As I posted, he was someone I did want to see. And some more spoilers can be found here: Book to Movie Differences

A lot of the differences do make sense as compared to the book, which a lot of didn't, at least to me.
But I don't think that anyone wants to hear a critique of the book. Which was far too "kiddy," even when compared to the Harry Potter books. (Although a cross-comparison of either of the first books would reveal some fundamental weaknesses of Riordan's writing, which I suspect has very few adults fans as compared to JKR's writing.

Old February 15th, 2010, 3:23 am
Third Year

I just saw the movie today. I liked it alot, but there were too many differences from the book to me.

First of all, why didn't they mention Kronos and all the dreams Percy was having about him? Kronos is such a huge part of the books that I'm surprised they didn't say anything about him, as it might be hard later on to explain why he's such a big character in the books. And I was also upset that the Oracle was never mentioned. I thought it was sort of stupid that Percy never went to the Oracle to get his quest. And how come the whole quest became more of a search for the pearls? If I remember correctly, that's not what Percy's quest was supposed to be about.

Also, I was upset that Chiron just straight out told Percy that he was the son of Poseidon. I thought it might keep people who hadn't already read the books in a little bit more suspense about which of the gods was Percy's father. I know that I wanted to know right away when I was reading the books which god was Percy's father. It was a bit of a minor change, but one that still bugged me. The cabin thing that was already mentioned annoyed me too. The way I imagined the cabins, they looked more like your typical cabins that kids stay in when they go to summer camp.

I was also upset when they took out the part about Ares, and how he took the lightning bolt to start a war with the gods. Why not leave in that plot point? The whole thing with Luke was stupid, IMO.

All in all, I liked the movie, but I'm hoping the next time around there will be less changes.

Old February 15th, 2010, 3:35 am
Second Year

Quote:
The Last Airbender is a cartoon. Or were you thinking of the movie? (Which has plenty of adults in it)

I can't say about Ares.
As I posted, he was someone I did want to see. And some more spoilers can be found here: Book to Movie Differences

A lot of the differences do make sense as compared to the book, which a lot of didn't, at least to me.
But I don't think that anyone wants to hear a critique of the book. Which was far too "kiddy," even when compared to the Harry Potter books. (Although a cross-comparison of either of the first books would reveal some fundamental weaknesses of Riordan's writing, which I suspect has very few adults fans as compared to JKR's writing.
Avatar: The Last Airbender is a cartoon. The Last Airbender is a movie, and while there are adults the majority of the time its just kids and a bison and a lemur.

But I don't see why they couldn't have made the set at least right.

Proud Gryffindor
Old February 15th, 2010, 3:45 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledores1fan View Post
If I remember correctly, that's not what Percy's quest was supposed to be about.
Again, this made sense. If Columbus followed the book, then everyone would have latched on the, forgive me for saying this, but the idiocy of getting into a place without having a way out. (especially one that you don't come back from normally)
Hence, having an exit strategy was of vital importance.

Quote:
Also, I was upset that Chiron just straight out told Percy that he was the son of Poseidon. I thought it might keep people who hadn't already read the books in a little bit more suspense about which of the gods was Percy's father. I know that I wanted to know right away when I was reading the books which god was Percy's father. It was a bit of a minor change, but one that still bugged me. The cabin thing that was already mentioned annoyed me too. The way I imagined the cabins, they looked more like your typical cabins that kids stay in when they go to summer camp.
Timing. How long did you want the movie to be?

Quote:
I was also upset when they took out the part about Ares, and how he took the lightning bolt to start a war with the gods. Why not leave in that plot point? The whole thing with Luke was stupid, IMO.
*shrugs*
They slimmed things down a bit. After all Luke was the betrayer anyway

Quote:
All in all, I liked the movie, but I'm hoping the next time around there will be less changes.
Less change? Lol!
How many here remember the first two Harry Potter movies? And how literal the interpretation was...and how everyone loved it then, but...for some reason, many don't like them now?

Old February 15th, 2010, 4:22 am
Third Year

^ I just didn't want so many changes. I know that if they tried to incorporate every little detail, the movie would have been hours long and hard to follow for those who hadn't already read it, but I felt like they could have fixed these problems without the many changes.

Old February 15th, 2010, 4:36 am
Member of the Order

I feel the same way about the HP movies.

Old February 15th, 2010, 5:09 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
It was actually Kronos' idea.
I guess I really do need to re-read the book. :\

Old February 15th, 2010, 9:11 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I just saw the movie today. I liked it alot, but there were too many differences from the book to me.

First of all, why didn't they mention Kronos and all the dreams Percy was having about him? Kronos is such a huge part of the books that I'm surprised they didn't say anything about him, as it might be hard later on to explain why he's such a big character in the books. And I was also upset that the Oracle was never mentioned. I thought it was sort of stupid that Percy never went to the Oracle to get his quest. And how come the whole quest became more of a search for the pearls? If I remember correctly, that's not what Percy's quest was supposed to be about.

I just got back from the movie. Overall, I thought the acting was good and I liked the actors who portrayed Grover and Percy. I didn't care for what they did to annabeth though. What happened to the clever, witty annabeth with the invisibility cap? This annabeth was more like xena warrior princess.

I know Columbus got a lot of criticism for his literal interpretation of HP and he has said in interviews that he had a lot more creative license with PJ. Still, I think the changes took out a lot of the mystery and plot twists that made the book so enjoyable. The movie became so predictable. They told you in the opening scene who percy's father was, the lightning bolt was stolen, etc. Part of the charm of the book was figuring out who his father was. It was also painfully obvious Luke's sinister intentions as soon as he led them to medusa. It was almost like the screenplay spoonfed the audience with the plot.

Like you said, I think it was a mistake to omit Ares, the oracle and the main prophecy surrounding Percy, and especially Kronos. It was almost like Columbus wanted to simplify the story as much as possible. I think they could have made the camp look more like the book's description with the different cabins, and I thought the efx needed some work too. Sometimes, I felt like I was watching something on the sci fi channel. I will be surprised if we get the second book made.

Old February 15th, 2010, 2:43 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
What happened to the clever, witty annabeth with the invisibility cap? This annabeth was more like xena warrior princess.
Accuracy. This is more Riordan's fumble than Columbus.
Clever and wit are purviews of Hermes.
Xena warrior princess? Sounds perfect for Athena.
But as I posted, Riordan's writings are chock full of weaknesses, and one of them apparently was knowledge of Greek Myths to begin with.
But perhaps Riordan was simply taking creative license with the mythology?

Quote:
I will be surprised if we get the second book made.
Sequel already working on
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters is scheduled for release in 2012.

Old February 15th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Second Year

Wow, they really are making another lol.

But I get why people say Columbus was too literal with SS and CoS. However, I still think he needed to be, at least for the first. My personal, all around, favorite movie of the set is PoA, yet I don't think they could have built the series right without a literal adaptation of SS. Had Columbus not done it nearly exactly like the book, I don't think the casting would have been done as well nor the scenery, escpecially Hogwarts, which I think they got spot on. After the first I believe they could have given the directors more freedom, as they did, and I think Yates is too free.

But with Columbus in Lightning Thief he doesn't give a firm base for anything. Going out of that movie, had I not read the books, I would have assumed all was well and good now. I know Columbus can just get more creative with the next books, but I think a firm, literal basis would have started off the series better.

Proud Gryffindor
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion