Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Could Snape be abusing Felix Felicis?

Old September 1st, 2006, 2:43 am
First Year

Re: Could Snape be abusing Felix Felicis?

I really don't see an instance when Snape is actually lucky. Maybe Draco asked Snape to brew him some and that is why his plan worked.

Harry woke with a violent turn. He got out of bed, and stepped out of his cupboard. Had he really dreamed everything? He went to the mirror and checked his reflection. There standing in front of him, was a scrawny, eleven year old boy, with glasses held together with scotch tape. He lifted his hair, on his forehead was the thing that he had recieved from the carwreck that had killed his parents, the lighting bolt scar.
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:37 pm
Second Year

You have to admit that no spells hit Snape when he was leaving in the Flight of the Prince. Even non-verbal ones. Either Snape is a lot better at dueling while runnign for his life than we know, or he was lucky. One of Harry's spells that was aimed for Snape's back missed over his head. Harry usually doesn't have that bad of aim.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:01 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry
You have to admit that no spells hit Snape when he was leaving in the Flight of the Prince. Even non-verbal ones. Either Snape is a lot better at dueling while runnign for his life than we know, or he was lucky. One of Harry's spells that was aimed for Snape's back missed over his head. Harry usually doesn't have that bad of aim.
We have to take into account that it was an outraged Harry who kept trying to bring Snape down. I mean we all saw in OOTP how Harry just swings around half blind with rage and doesn't think about what he's doing. Non verbal spells take twice the amount of thought than one you just say out loud because you have to think about what you want to happen. So it makes since when Harry tried one on Snape it did nothing. And my bet is that Harry was aiming to high with those spells sure he may have been thinking, get him in the back but his arm said, over the head.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 1:13 pm
Second Year

Ok, sure. I could see Harry missing with the over the head thing. But the non-verbal he tried (levicorpus) didn't not work because Harry didn't have the concentration or whatever. here's the quote (HBP, pg 604, US Edition)
"Mustering all his [Harry's] powers of concenration, Harry thought, Levi--
" 'No, Potter!' screamed Snape. There was a loud BANG and Harry was soaring backward, hitting the ground hard again, and this time his wand flew out of his hand."
It wasn't his weak concentration. It was that Snape saw what he was doing and used a spell against him. Snape even knew what spell, so it wasn't blind luck. he later says: " 'You dare use my own spells against me, Potter?...And you's turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you?' "He knew it was one of his spells.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
It wasn't his weak concentration. It was that Snape saw what he was doing and used a spell against him. Snape even knew what spell, so it wasn't blind luck. he later says: " 'You dare use my own spells against me, Potter?...And you's turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you?' "He knew it was one of his spells.
Ah you know you do have a point. Snape must have read Harrys mind and knew what he was trying to do. So I take back my weak concentration part of the theory but the rest could still hold true.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 1:06 am
Second Year

Agreed. The rest could hold true. Harry has had a bit of a temper problem since OoTP. But whether it effects his aim, I'm not sure.

Old September 4th, 2006, 5:53 am
Third Year

I posted this in the Snape's potions book thread, but it would fit here as well.

Has anyone considered that Snape could have used Felix Felicis in order to insure that Harry got the potions book? Snape knew that Harry would not have a textbook in advance of the class since Harry did not expect to take N.E.W.T. potions due to his "E" grade. But, Snape as a professor would also know that Ron would not have a textbook in advance for the same reason. So Snape cannot just leave the special potions book and a spare in Slughorn's classroom and just hope that Harry gets it instead of Ron. Snape also cannot just give Harry the book because of the image Snape has to maintain as being loyal to Voldemort.

Snape knows that Harry needs all the skills he can get to fight Voldemort and, if Snape knew that Slughorn has a soft spot for Lily, Snape would worry that Slughorn would go easy on Harry and Harry would not learn as much. So Snape needs to make sure Harry gets the special potions book in order to make sure that Harry learns N.E.W.T. potions properly, as well as learning the additions in the special book.

So Snape takes a swig of Felix Felicis, leaves the special book and a spare in the potions classroom, and lets the Felix do the rest. And accordingly, Harry gets the right book, Slughorn just happens to be giving a bottle of Felix Felicis to whomever brews the best Draught of Living Death, the HBP just happens to have improved on that potion, Harry just happens to follow the Prince's alternate directions, Harry wins the Felix, Harry uses the Felix to get Slughorn's memory which helps confirm Dumbledore's suspicion of seven Horcruxes, and Harry uses the Felix to protect his friends during the battle at the Astronomy Tower. Not bad.

I just cannot see Snape leaving the special potions book around for anyone to get since it contains both better directions and dangerous spells like Sectumsempra. Unless he had a guarantee that it would go to Harry and my best guess for a guarantee is if Snape took some Felix Felicis before leaving the books in Slughorn's classroom so that Harry would get the right book.

Old September 4th, 2006, 6:12 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmapince
I posted this in the Snape's potions book thread, but it would fit here as well.

Has anyone considered that Snape could have used Felix Felicis in order to insure that Harry got the potions book? Snape knew that Harry would not have a textbook in advance of the class since Harry did not expect to take N.E.W.T. potions due to his "E" grade. But, Snape as a professor would also know that Ron would not have a textbook in advance for the same reason. So Snape cannot just leave the special potions book and a spare in Slughorn's classroom and just hope that Harry gets it instead of Ron. Snape also cannot just give Harry the book because of the image Snape has to maintain as being loyal to Voldemort.

Snape knows that Harry needs all the skills he can get to fight Voldemort and, if Snape knew that Slughorn has a soft spot for Lily, Snape would worry that Slughorn would go easy on Harry and Harry would not learn as much. So Snape needs to make sure Harry gets the special potions book in order to make sure that Harry learns N.E.W.T. potions properly, as well as learning the additions in the special book.

So Snape takes a swig of Felix Felicis, leaves the special book and a spare in the potions classroom, and lets the Felix do the rest. And accordingly, Harry gets the right book, Slughorn just happens to be giving a bottle of Felix Felicis to whomever brews the best Draught of Living Death, the HBP just happens to have improved on that potion, Harry just happens to follow the Prince's alternate directions, Harry wins the Felix, Harry uses the Felix to get Slughorn's memory which helps confirm Dumbledore's suspicion of seven Horcruxes, and Harry uses the Felix to protect his friends during the battle at the Astronomy Tower. Not bad.

I just cannot see Snape leaving the special potions book around for anyone to get since it contains both better directions and dangerous spells like Sectumsempra. Unless he had a guarantee that it would go to Harry and my best guess for a guarantee is if Snape took some Felix Felicis before leaving the books in Slughorn's classroom so that Harry would get the right book.
Ohhh! I like that idea. Do you really think its possible?

Jordan

Forget Love, I'd rather fall in Chocolate.

Your'e not making any sense.

I'm the ultimate Potter NUT!!!!!!!!!!1

You Can't Stop the Motion of the Ocean!
Old September 4th, 2006, 7:21 am
Third Year

irmapince-I love your theory because it seems so likely and does make sense.
However I still don't think he abused the power of Felix Felicis but may have used it once or twice same a Slughorn.

Old September 4th, 2006, 5:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defyeverything
However I still don't think he abused the power of Felix Felicis but may have used it once or twice same a Slughorn.
I agree with this which brings us back to the question of what exactly would abusing it be?

Jordan

Old September 4th, 2006, 8:38 pm
Second Year

Maybe Snape isn't abusing Felix, but has an addiction. Abuse implies a chemical dependancy, while addiction is a compulsion to use the substance, despite the negitive consequences.
If it is a addiction, it would most liely be a pshychological addiction, or an addiction of the mind. This means that the addiction is caused by taking/using the thing, and getting rewarding behavior from it over and over again. There are no withdrawal symtoms like in a chemical addiction, only a need for the rewarding behavior and the pleasure chemicals it produces.
The scary thing about his would be that Felix is very rewarding, more so than anything muggles get addicted to. The need would be much greater than in addicted muggles. Possibly a dangerous need.
But then, maybe the Felix use is just like Slughorn's, and not over and over again.

And no, I'm not an expert on this. I just know how to use Wikipedia. Here's the link to psychological addiction

Last edited by Kerry; September 4th, 2006 at 8:41 pm.
Old September 4th, 2006, 9:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Maybe Snape isn't abusing Felix, but has an addiction. Abuse implies a chemical dependancy, while addiction is a compulsion to use the substance, despite the negitive consequences.
If it is a addiction, it would most liely be a pshychological addiction, or an addiction of the mind. This means that the addiction is caused by taking/using the thing, and getting rewarding behavior from it over and over again. There are no withdrawal symtoms like in a chemical addiction, only a need for the rewarding behavior and the pleasure chemicals it produces.
The scary thing about his would be that Felix is very rewarding, more so than anything muggles get addicted to. The need would be much greater than in addicted muggles. Possibly a dangerous need.
But then, maybe the Felix use is just like Slughorn's, and not over and over again.
I somewhat agree with this. I believe that it is a two part addiction. First the pshycological addiction like you said but also a physical addiction wherein he HAS to have it for his body to function properly.

Jordan

Old September 4th, 2006, 9:34 pm
Fifth Year

I very much doubt it. Slughorn said it is dangerous to abuse Felix Felicis and Snape doesn't appear to me to think that he can't fail.

Old September 4th, 2006, 9:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMongol
I very much doubt it
What are you doubting?

Jordan

Old September 4th, 2006, 9:57 pm
First Year

wowzerz.....i would have never thought of something like that. now that i think of it i do think that snape is a "magical druggie", so to speak. i think that he might be abusing felix felicis among other things. who knows? maybe he is abusing pollyjuice potion. which leads me to another idea....maybe dumbledore and snape used pollyjuice potion!!! snape is dead and dumbledore is wanted!!!!! rejoice!!!!

88_________________FLEX0_______ _+880_______________++80_______ _++88______________+880________ _++88_____________++88________ __+880___________++88_________ __+888_________++880__________ __++880_______++880___________ __++888_____+++880____________ __++8888__+++8880++88_________ __+++8888+++8880++8888________ ___++888++8888+++888888+80____ ___++88++8888++8888888++888___ ___++++++888888fx88888888888___ ____++++++88888888888888888___ ____++++++++000888888888888___
may Ron and Hermione have 7 children.
HP HOMIE!!!!
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:03 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPHomie
wowzerz.....i would have never thought of something like that. now that i think of it i do think that snape is a "magical druggie", so to speak. i think that he might be abusing felix felicis among other things. who knows? maybe he is abusing pollyjuice potion. which leads me to another idea....maybe dumbledore and snape used pollyjuice potion!!! snape is dead and dumbledore is wanted!!!!! rejoice!!!!
Sadly enough we have already gone over this possiblilty

Jordan

Old September 5th, 2006, 1:06 am
Second Year

Besides, JKR stated that Dumbledore is definetly d3ad, and when she says Dumbleodre is dead, I think she means Dumbledore Dumbledore is dead dead. Just like she said.

Old September 6th, 2006, 9:47 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmapince

A very interesting idea. I too have considered this a possibility for Snape to have hoped to give Harry the potions book. But I have always got stuck on how would Snape be sure that Harry and not Ron would get the book. Felix does solve this problem.

I personally think that Snape was hoping to get Harry expelled. But that wouldn't fit with Snape taking Felix now would it. I'll have to ponder this some more.

Old September 7th, 2006, 10:01 pm
Third Year

Quote:
If it is a addiction, it would most liely be a pshychological addiction, or an addiction of the mind.
Well if he is addicted to Felix that means he had to abuse it to get that way. You don't just wake up one morning with an addiction to something, it takes repeative usage.

Old September 8th, 2006, 1:44 am
First Year

I think that really is a good point, and to say that too much FF results in recklessness, we've really only got Slughorn's word for that, afterall he wouldn't want to encourage his students to be brewing this and using it for life would he, so he taught them to be cautious? (just a thought).

I think that what was mentioned about if two parties take FF it will satisfy both, without completing their goals entirely!

I never really thought about this until I saw this thread, very good point!!!

xKx

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives