Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Signatures

Old February 6th, 2006, 5:08 am
Superman

Re: Comments on: Signatures

No, emoticons do not count as a line of text.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Seventh Year

Question for the admin -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
Whilst we don't wish to come down hard on people for first offences in signatures (understanding that some new members may not realise), we will be stricter with those who have been here a while and where ignorance o f the rules is not an excuse.
Does this mean that if I accidentally added say 1 extra line of text or forgot to resize my image and it was slightly over you would come down hard? Or are you being stricter on the more "adult" content in signatures?

Sorry to be pedantic Its just in the past I have accidentally exceeded the rule temporarily and been completely unawards until a vigilant member tells me its slighty over to avoid the staff seeing it

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:53 pm
McMugwump Supreme

If we feel you should know better, then yes, we will "come down hard" on members who violate signature policy.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old February 7th, 2006, 10:58 pm
Seventh Year

OK, thanks Rotsie

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Old February 8th, 2006, 4:34 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_505
Does this mean that if I accidentally added say 1 extra line of text
Oops, I just noticed I may have done exacly this

Does the rule refer to the actual amount of text (number of characters) or how it's laid out, or whichever is more? I have 2 x 1.5 lines and then one line with a couple of words, so this would fit in 4 lines if put all together without line breaks, at least in the extended view layout. What if I shrink the font so that it will fit in any case?

Nobody has told me off so far, even if I've sent quite a few owls to staff with my signature, so it never occured to me I might be violating a rule.

Incantus: From Latin in-canto (verb), 1. To consecrate with charms or spells; 2. To bewitch, enchant. In analogue to cantus, ūs (noun), a musical utterance, singing, song.

Visit a Tropical Island
* Me non solum piget stultitiae meae sed etiam pudet. *
Old February 8th, 2006, 4:35 am
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusincantus
Oops, I just noticed I may have done exacly this

Does the rule refer to the actual amount of text (number of characters) or how it's laid out, or whichever is more? I have 2 x 1.5 lines and then one line with a couple of words, so this would fit in 4 lines if put all together without line breaks, at least in the extended view layout. What if I shrink the font so that it will fit in any case?

Nobody has told me off so far, even if I've sent quite a few owls to staff with my signature, so it never occured to me I might be violating a rule.

I count six.

Old February 8th, 2006, 4:49 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
I count six.
How on earth is that possible? Anyway, I fixed it now so that it should not be too much under any layout (I hope).

However, it is still a bit confusing rule if it really implies that we should check the number of lines under any possible layout. The signature editing view also is much wider than normal page view (at least in the layout I'm using), so it requires quite some checking not to accidentally break rules.

And it is still unclear whether it's ok to shrink the font so that one can fit a novel in the sig

Incantus: From Latin in-canto (verb), 1. To consecrate with charms or spells; 2. To bewitch, enchant. In analogue to cantus, ūs (noun), a musical utterance, singing, song.

Visit a Tropical Island
Old February 8th, 2006, 5:16 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
And it is still unclear whether it's ok to shrink the font so that one can fit a novel in the sig
As long as it isn't more than seven lines of text, it doesn't matter how many words there are.

Old February 8th, 2006, 6:21 am
McMugwump Supreme

Quote:
However, it is still a bit confusing rule if it really implies that we should check the number of lines under any possible layout.
Behold:

.:CoS Forums Rules:.
View full rules here
NOTE: We operate the signature rules on a standard 1024x768 resolution and on the CoS Expanded layout.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old February 8th, 2006, 6:24 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBlack22
As long as it isn't more than seven lines of text, it doesn't matter how many words there are.
Oh, thanks! How incredibly stupid of me, I don't know where I suddenly got the idea that the limit was 4 lines. So I freaked out for no reason.

Edit Reason: rotsiepots’s reply

And thanks Rotsie, that makes it clear, together with this part in signature content policy:

.:CoS Forums Rules:.
View full rules here
You may edit your signature in your profile and include one (1) small imaged of up to 300x300 pixels and up to 7 lines of 8-12 point (size1-3) text.

Visit a Tropical Island

Last edited by janusincantus; February 8th, 2006 at 6:52 am.
Old February 19th, 2006, 5:11 am
Second Year

I'm not sure where to put this - could someone please tell me how to restore my signature? It just...disappeared.

Thanks!

Old February 19th, 2006, 2:18 pm
Member of the Order

Go here and upload your pic again. There is a notice about this at the top of the main page.

Old February 19th, 2006, 7:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvery orb
I'm not sure where to put this - could someone please tell me how to restore my signature? It just...disappeared.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel
Go here and upload your pic again. There is a notice about this at the top of the main page.
Or, you can use a hosting site for your images, like Photobucket.

Nerf Herder
Old February 19th, 2006, 8:17 pm
Seventh Year

How do you convert images into links? Is that possible? I've tried doing it with HTML, but it doesn't seem to work (wrapping <a href=URL></href> around the image link).

Old February 19th, 2006, 8:23 pm
Formerly Known as 82

HTML doesnt work on COS anymore. Try wrapping URL tags around the image and link.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old February 19th, 2006, 8:23 pm
TheWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreedlover
How do you convert images into links? Is that possible? I've tried doing it with HTML, but it doesn't seem to work (wrapping <a href=URL></href> around the image link).
http://www.cosforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode

[*url=http://www.URL to site] [*img]http://www.URLTO IMAGE FILE[/img]

~ http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov

Old February 26th, 2006, 1:49 am
Second Year

Thanks!

Old March 3rd, 2006, 5:05 am
Second Year

I have a question/suggestion (maybe) concerning sig pics. I used to post on another board that had their banner size limit at 150 pixels high by 500 pixels long. Quite honestly, having a pic that is short yet wide looks a lot nicer than some big honking 300x300 pic. 500 pixels isn't too long at all. It certainly doesn't seem to mess up the width of the page.

So my question is this: if I wanted to make a banner that was like, 100 pixels by 400, could I? If the issue is whether or not people with slow connections can download them okay, I assure you, they can. I have a 56K modem and I've never had problems. The short height makes up for the width.

As I said, short banners that are wider look nicer. Is there a place where I can make an official suggestion about this?

Luke 10:27

You wouldn't spoil a Harry Potter book, would you?

For Final Fantasy VII fans, Crisis Core is equivilant to Deathly Hallows.
Please don't spoil it.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 5:09 am
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennyo
I have a question/suggestion (maybe) concerning sig pics. I used to post on another board that had their banner size limit at 150 pixels high by 500 pixels long. Quite honestly, having a pic that is short yet wide looks a lot nicer than some big honking 300x300 pic. 500 pixels isn't too long at all. It certainly doesn't seem to mess up the width of the page.

So my question is this: if I wanted to make a banner that was like, 100 pixels by 400, could I? If the issue is whether or not people with slow connections can download them okay, I assure you, they can. I have a 56K modem and I've never had problems. The short height makes up for the width.

As I said, short banners that are wider look nicer. Is there a place where I can make an official suggestion about this?

It's been suggested before. However, we're happy with the 300 x 300 limit. It's easy for staff and doesn't require multiple equations or advanced calculus for us to work with. So while you're welcome to suggest it, the odds are good it will stay the way it is.

Old March 8th, 2006, 11:23 pm
Fourth Year

Can i just check, is my sig ok? As in it doesn't break any rules hopefully. If it does, of course i will change it.

British by Birth, English by Grace of God.

Beefy's Harry Potter Music Videos. Please take a look! Thanks!Music Videos [
I'm Back from the Shadows!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services