Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #601  
Old July 7th, 2016, 5:34 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 4763 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,939
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
How did you view Founder's Mutation? I liked it ok, but the lack of chemistry/muted chemistry had it feeling like an episode of CSI at times. It was just strange. I'm glad it was moved from the 5th ep to the 2nd one. I can see why Glen wanted it later, but to have it after Babylon would have made me wonder if M & S broke up again. It worked better earlier, since Home Again didn't have the same muted tone to it.
I agree that the episode was better placed earlier on. I liked it, thought it was more like an episode from the original series. I think your feeling of "CSI-like" might be because of Mulder's skepticism now, leading him to look first for the logical explanation rather than the weird. Remember his rant in the X-files office about how many of the old x-file cases had rational explanations? He's not quite himself yet...which is why I liked the Were-Monster episode so much, Mulder comes face to face with the inexplicable and it restores his faith in himself a little. I think Founder's Mutation was a perfect episode for the series, pointing to both the past (Scully and Mulder worrying as they saw the children maimed by experimentation and worrying about their own son), and the future disaster in episode 6.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #602  
Old July 8th, 2016, 12:06 am
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4423 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,570
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I agree that the episode was better placed earlier on. I liked it, thought it was more like an episode from the original series. I think your feeling of "CSI-like" might be because of Mulder's skepticism now, leading him to look first for the logical explanation rather than the weird. Remember his rant in the X-files office about how many of the old x-file cases had rational explanations? He's not quite himself yet...which is why I liked the Were-Monster episode so much, Mulder comes face to face with the inexplicable and it restores his faith in himself a little. I think Founder's Mutation was a perfect episode for the series, pointing to both the past (Scully and Mulder worrying as they saw the children maimed by experimentation and worrying about their own son), and the future disaster in episode 6.
I disagree there, at least in terms of their interaction. It just felt off to me. Nope. That felt normal. But their bantering and such just fell flat to me. Which is strange since behind the scenes for that ep didn't feel like that at all .

Good points on that.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; July 8th, 2016 at 2:01 am.
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old October 5th, 2016, 7:34 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4423 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,570
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Now for something a bit cute: Gillian is a big fan of HP! She got sorted into Ravenclaw and got a Dun Mare as her patronus. Via her Twitter.




A bit of new news.

Source: theglobeandmail.com

So it's looking like filming might start next year and it might be around 8 eps? Just going off of what CC said there.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 5th, 2016 at 7:48 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old October 24th, 2016, 8:23 pm
marauderfan  Female.gif marauderfan is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4069 days
Location: Beyond the veil
Age: 26
Posts: 258
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Hello! Wow, so this must be my first post on the site in at least 2 years. Just happened to pop back on and saw that this thread was relatively active, which is exciting as I've been on such an X-Files kick lately. and I haven't had much of a chance to talk about the revival with people yet and I have a lot of feelings about it.

And since I've not posted in this thread before I'll start off with a few of the questions from the first post :P


What drew you into watching the show in the first place? I saw it many years after it first aired, but I first decided to start watching it because I'd heard good things about it from friends and because I heard it had a sci-fi element, and I'm a huge fan of sci fi.

What was your favorite episode(s)? Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Detour, Ice, Triangle... (how many am I allowed to list? because I could go onnnn :P)

Least favorite? Babylon. Provenance/Providence. And of course 3

first episode you ever saw - Pilot
favorite season - oh this one is hard to choose. Probably 5?
least favorite season - 9. Maybe 10.
favorite head boss - Skinner. (Duh.)
scariest/creepiest episode - Squeeze (I still can't turn the lights off after watching it. But I love it)


Re: that post Fawkesfan1 made about a new season - I'm not sure whether to be really excited or not. The revival wasn't everything I hoped it would be - there were good moments, but overall it was disappointing. So I hope season 11 will be better, but I don't know if it will. Season 8 began a kind of downward trend where the mythology made no sense and the characterization was sometimes inconsistent, maybe because the writers were kind of coming up with things as they went along, as opposed to the earlier season mythology which was well planned out (in general). It's especially apparent to me now while I'm rewatching season 1 - Scully was so sassy then! But in season 8 through the revival mostly all she does is worry about Mulder, worry about William, and cry. And she's a lot more than that, so I feel like this more recent writing of her does a disservice to her character. Yes I know she's been through a lot since early seasons, and that would change someone, but she really doesn't even feel like the same character anymore. she's sort of just becoming a stereotype.

And I won't even get into how ridiculous it was that they broke up Mulder and Scully. Dear writers, please stop fabricating drama for my OTP, thanks. :P She is his one in five billion, and he is her touchstone and constant. Case closed.

Oops that turned into more of a rant than I expected :P One thing I did like about the revival was how there actually does seem to be a really big disaster of epic proportions happening because they've been saying its coming since early on in the show, and it kept not happening haha, so... that was a kind of interesting development.


__________________


Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old October 26th, 2016, 10:23 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4423 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,570
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderfan View Post
Hello! Wow, so this must be my first post on the site in at least 2 years. Just happened to pop back on and saw that this thread was relatively active, which is exciting as I've been on such an X-Files kick lately. and I haven't had much of a chance to talk about the revival with people yet and I have a lot of feelings about it.

And since I've not posted in this thread before I'll start off with a few of the questions from the first post :P


What drew you into watching the show in the first place? I saw it many years after it first aired, but I first decided to start watching it because I'd heard good things about it from friends and because I heard it had a sci-fi element, and I'm a huge fan of sci fi.

What was your favorite episode(s)? Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Detour, Ice, Triangle... (how many am I allowed to list? because I could go onnnn :P)

Least favorite? Babylon. Provenance/Providence. And of course 3

first episode you ever saw - Pilot
favorite season - oh this one is hard to choose. Probably 5?
least favorite season - 9. Maybe 10.
favorite head boss - Skinner. (Duh.)
scariest/creepiest episode - Squeeze (I still can't turn the lights off after watching it. But I love it)


Re: that post Fawkesfan1 made about a new season - I'm not sure whether to be really excited or not. The revival wasn't everything I hoped it would be - there were good moments, but overall it was disappointing. So I hope season 11 will be better, but I don't know if it will. Season 8 began a kind of downward trend where the mythology made no sense and the characterization was sometimes inconsistent, maybe because the writers were kind of coming up with things as they went along, as opposed to the earlier season mythology which was well planned out (in general). It's especially apparent to me now while I'm rewatching season 1 - Scully was so sassy then! But in season 8 through the revival mostly all she does is worry about Mulder, worry about William, and cry. And she's a lot more than that, so I feel like this more recent writing of her does a disservice to her character. Yes I know she's been through a lot since early seasons, and that would change someone, but she really doesn't even feel like the same character anymore. she's sort of just becoming a stereotype.

And I won't even get into how ridiculous it was that they broke up Mulder and Scully. Dear writers, please stop fabricating drama for my OTP, thanks. :P She is his one in five billion, and he is her touchstone and constant. Case closed.

Oops that turned into more of a rant than I expected :P One thing I did like about the revival was how there actually does seem to be a really big disaster of epic proportions happening because they've been saying its coming since early on in the show, and it kept not happening haha, so... that was a kind of interesting development.
Hi!

I feel similarly about it. I liked half of s10 and hated the rest. It pretty much stomped on both their relationship and the mytharc.

I feel as if that trend started around s6. But to be honest, I'd even consider anything from s6 through IWTB to be better than what CC came up this time. At least he was kept in check up to a certain point. I'd say the same for Mulder, they've both become stereotypes and it's sad to see. I'm actually dreading s11 to be honest.

Word. Step away from M & S, CC... step away from M & S.

No need to apologize for that! It's been frustrating being an XF fan as of late.



Quote:
"Chris Carter will once again serve as lead writer, executive producer and showrunner. There is no word on who Carter is looking at to staff the writers room for these new episodes, which will have to pick up from the cliffhanger ending of season ten."
Source: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/fox-...-within-weeks/

Not digging this. Not at all. I hope that they're able to get Glen Morgan back. He was one of the saving graces of s10 in my opinion.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 26th, 2016 at 11:27 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old October 29th, 2016, 7:58 pm
marauderfan  Female.gif marauderfan is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4069 days
Location: Beyond the veil
Age: 26
Posts: 258
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Hi!

I feel similarly about it. I liked half of s10 and hated the rest. It pretty much stomped on both their relationship and the mytharc.

I feel as if that trend started around s6. But to be honest, I'd even consider anything from s6 through IWTB to be better than what CC came up this time. At least he was kept in check up to a certain point. I'd say the same for Mulder, they've both become stereotypes and it's sad to see. I'm actually dreading s11 to be honest.

Word. Step away from M & S, CC... step away from M & S.

No need to apologize for that! It's been frustrating being an XF fan as of late.
Honestly I loved season six. But yeah when they got into that "alien spaceship that's the key to everything" at the end of that season it got a bit out there, even for the X-Files. I don't know, honestly I was okay with the mythology until they introduced the super soldiers and the miracle baby and all the retconning of season 8 such as Mulder's brain disease that made no sense in context.

It's funny because I think that the more CC tried to make it look like M & S were platonic (I've even seen somewhere that he said they were 'just friends' for the entire 9 year duration of the show...?!) he ended up just creating more drama around them and turning them into a soap opera. Their relationship was always best when it was kind of just floating in the background and subtle. There was no drama, they just were what they were. And I don't think it would have been that hard to even confirm that they were in a relationship and then just not make a big deal of it. William didn't need to be an X-File. Instead CC kind of dragged us back and forth on who William's father was, and I just didn't care. It's a shame because I really liked Doggett and Reyes and felt like the show could have been so much better if it started to focus on them instead of on William for so long. I was sooo tired of that plot.

IWTB really bothered me, because of how they wrote Scully as just a Nagging Wife Stereotype, and it felt like CC had forgotten how much Scully loved working on X-Files. She wouldn't have done it for 9 years if she hated it! She even said in season 10 that it made her feel alive. I agree with you that how Mulder is written now is sad to see, but I disagree that he has become a stereotype, mainly because he is so inconsistent as a character now that he can't really be a stereotype of anything. The mushrooms thing in Babylon didn't seem like a Mulder idea at all. Mulder has always been a bit crazy, but there was method to his madness. The mushrooms was just madness. I thought for sure I was watching the wrong show.

Quote:
Source: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/fox-...-within-weeks/

Not digging this. Not at all. I hope that they're able to get Glen Morgan back. He was one of the saving graces of s10 in my opinion.
Yes. Thank goodness for Glen Morgan. Is it just me or has Chris Carter become the George Lucas of the X-Files? like, the world has much to thank him for for creating an incredible, beloved TV series, but without other people's input he kind of takes it out of control. The new mythology and characterisation is to the X-Files as Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. Annoying and mostly confusing and we were better off without it.

And someone needs to tell him that we GET that it's 2016. I felt like season 10 was kind of bashing us over the head with "HEY IT'S NOT THE 1990'S ANYMORE! SO MODERN! SEEEE?"

I mean, all that said, even if there is a season 11 I'm still going to watch it, as much as it hurts :P


__________________


Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old October 31st, 2016, 7:03 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4423 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,570
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderfan View Post
Honestly I loved season six. But yeah when they got into that "alien spaceship that's the key to everything" at the end of that season it got a bit out there, even for the X-Files. I don't know, honestly I was okay with the mythology until they introduced the super soldiers and the miracle baby and all the retconning of season 8 such as Mulder's brain disease that made no sense in context.

It's funny because I think that the more CC tried to make it look like M & S were platonic (I've even seen somewhere that he said they were 'just friends' for the entire 9 year duration of the show...?!) he ended up just creating more drama around them and turning them into a soap opera. Their relationship was always best when it was kind of just floating in the background and subtle. There was no drama, they just were what they were. And I don't think it would have been that hard to even confirm that they were in a relationship and then just not make a big deal of it. William didn't need to be an X-File. Instead CC kind of dragged us back and forth on who William's father was, and I just didn't care. It's a shame because I really liked Doggett and Reyes and felt like the show could have been so much better if it started to focus on them instead of on William for so long. I was sooo tired of that plot.

IWTB really bothered me, because of how they wrote Scully as just a Nagging Wife Stereotype, and it felt like CC had forgotten how much Scully loved working on X-Files. She wouldn't have done it for 9 years if she hated it! She even said in season 10 that it made her feel alive. I agree with you that how Mulder is written now is sad to see, but I disagree that he has become a stereotype, mainly because he is so inconsistent as a character now that he can't really be a stereotype of anything. The mushrooms thing in Babylon didn't seem like a Mulder idea at all. Mulder has always been a bit crazy, but there was method to his madness. The mushrooms was just madness. I thought for sure I was watching the wrong show.


Yes. Thank goodness for Glen Morgan. Is it just me or has Chris Carter become the George Lucas of the X-Files? like, the world has much to thank him for for creating an incredible, beloved TV series, but without other people's input he kind of takes it out of control. The new mythology and characterisation is to the X-Files as Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. Annoying and mostly confusing and we were better off without it.

And someone needs to tell him that we GET that it's 2016. I felt like season 10 was kind of bashing us over the head with "HEY IT'S NOT THE 1990'S ANYMORE! SO MODERN! SEEEE?"

I mean, all that said, even if there is a season 11 I'm still going to watch it, as much as it hurts :P
Word. It's like even then they didn't know exactly what to do with both the mytharc or anything else for that matter .

Yea that was priceless. People on Twitter got him good with that one. And the tag is still going strong. I hated that, the whole 'who's the daddy' drama was just because CC didn't want to go there. Ugh. I disagree on that in part, I mainly meant in the way that CC was writing him. It was over the top at times in s10. And that got under my skin a little bit. Fair point, given that some of the other writers wrote him half way decently. I agree with you on that . I didn't know what to think with that Babylon bull. And it was supposedly Niacin. Like Mulder wouldn't know the difference? Really, Chris? Do you really think that low of your own character?

Only in some ways worse. He's unwilling (at least now) to let M & S change, mature and grow and it's sad. Agreed.

But, would he listen? He seems to not take criticism or comments that well.

I am too, but this is the last chance for me.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 31st, 2016 at 8:04 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #608  
Old November 29th, 2016, 3:06 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4423 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,570
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Bad news guys, looks like we might not get s11.

Here's the news.

Source: reuters.com


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old September 9th, 2017, 5:11 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4423 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,570
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

The news regarding season 11: https://www.google.com/search?q=x+fi...hrome&ie=UTF-8


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:50 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.