Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:32 am
First Year

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Jordmunt6, its alright,I don't care. First of all, I was astounded how well the Packers played.My team dominated last night and Brady was impressive. For those of you whose did bad on your picks. Don't feel too bad, I was lucky to go 8-8.Here is my week 1 review.

Most Surprising Result: Baltimore 35 Pittsburgh 7. I was expecting a 17-14 type game but the Steelers just imploded.
Most Surprising Winner:Chicago. I was a Falcon win but the Bears just rolled over Matt Ryan. Is it me or the Falcons are overrated. Or maybe the Bears are better then I thought.
Least Surprising Result\Winner:Houston.The Colts are nothing without Peyton Manning.
Best Moment:Wes Welker's 99.5 yard TD reception.
POTW:Tom Brady because he tore apart Miami's improved defense.
DPOTW:Ed Reed with his 2 Ints.
Team in most trouble:Kansas City. They looked terrible against the Bills?!?

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2011, 4:39 am
Curse Breaker

The Bills won't get any respect until they start stringing these wins together (rather like the Lions didn't get respect until that four-game winning streak to end the year last year). Here's the thing. The Bills were in dogfights all year last year (including one against the Pats) and just came up short more than they cashed in. If they string a few wins together, they'll get respect. The ASTOUNDING thing for me is that a poll of the ESPN "experts" ranked the Chiefs 21st, the Phins 26th, and the Bills 27th!! Excuse me?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old September 14th, 2011, 6:04 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The ASTOUNDING thing for me is that a poll of the ESPN "experts" ranked the Chiefs 21st, the Phins 26th, and the Bills 27th!! Excuse me?
Yeah, even a few of the ESPN reporters today expressed how baffled they were about that, and I'd agree I don't know if they missed this weeks Chiefs/Bills game or what...

Oh, and I tried, I tried to like Ochocinco. I can't I don't think he fits in well in NE. Maybe it's the way he trys to present himself off field...

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86

Last edited by magic_is_might; September 14th, 2011 at 6:10 am.
Old September 14th, 2011, 2:43 pm
Curse Breaker

Y'know, I didn't think I'd ever like Randy Moss. Turned out great for two and a half years. I'm fairly certain I'll never like TO, and I don't think I'll ever turn on Chad Johnson (I refuse to use that silly name he created for himelf). However, things don't seem to be going well for him so far.

In the preseason against the Lions in the first quarter (or early second but I think it was still the first quarter) he got decleated on a deep pass to a fellow reeiver (I think it was Tate, but it could have been Slater or one of the tight ends) that would have set up first and goal inside the five. He got absolutely pounded about 20 yards downfield with the ball in the air and he got called for offensive pass interference.

Monday night--after that boneheaded play where he wiped out a 40 yard pass because he didn't pay attention to the way he lined up, he had one good catch, one missed opportunity, and one pass near the goal line where he got mugged and they didn't call anything. That drive ended up stalling and they missed a field goal. Ouch.

He gets home and he gets messages from everyone congratulating him on the team effort encouraging him that he'll get his reps next time, but cautioning him not to rock the boat. In fact, just before he got in, he got a mesage from Skip Bayless of all people encouraging him about an increased role for next week, just don't rock the boat the way Randy did or...well, he'll be gone. He wakes up, he reads/listens to that flood of information and before going on with his day decides to try to head off all the "will Chad be okay with having almost no role in a juggernaut night?" stories with a tweet about how awesome it was to be there, see it in action and be a small part of it. Tedy Bruschi hears about this and rips into him on Boston Sports radio. Tough 48 hours. I'm trying to bear that in mind. I encourage you to do the same.

Old September 14th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Tedy Bruschi hears about this and rips into him on Boston Sports radio.
*sigh* I miss Teddy. And Harrison. And well most of the old defense. Showing my age I suppose. At any rate I agree with you. Chad, imo, has had his time as a player. He likes the spotlight, and believe it or not, I think if he went the sportscasting route he'd gain a bit of his reputation back. It's just his sort of ego doesn't fit in well in football these days. It used to when the NFL was all about teams like "The Greatest Show on Turf" that made egotisical fashionable. Both Randy Moss and Cory Dillon knew that NE was likely to be their last attempt at a #1 spot on any roster and played how they were asked toplay. Chad I don't think has gotten the message yet. As much as I dislike him now, since preseason/training camp was so short I'm willing to let him pick up the slack over the coming weeks. As long as he realizes, and I'm sure he does of Welker's TD, that he's never going to be top reciever.

Old September 14th, 2011, 5:19 pm
Curse Breaker

Frankly, I thought they missed Brandon Tate on Monday. Slater's a rookie and he's the son of NFL royalty, he's eager and talented, but it feels like he gets in the game and has a "wow, I'm in the game!" moment so he ends up diving for balls he should catch in stride. We SAW Tate run a route just like the one that bounced off Slater's hands midway through the fourth quarter in for a touchdown against the Bears at the end of the first half in Soldier Field last year. If Tate's there, the game ceases to be a contest before the drive that eventually set the stage for Welker's 99-yard TD. I think they cut Tate to make room for Chad. Any idea where he landed? Could they still pick him up?

Thought I'd add this note.

The Chargers signed Nick Novak (who?) as their band-aid placekicker. Novak, who just turned 30, went to Maryland and has spent parts of four seasons (counting this one) in the NFL. He bounced between the Redskins and the Cardinals in '05 and '06 and then was a backup for the Chiefs for part of '08.

He's never started a game (which I guess means he doesn't do kickoffs, or didn't) and has only played in 22 games in his brief career. He's never missed an extra point, so he's not Mike Cofer or anything, but...this is a puzzler.

He signed with the 'Skins as a rookie, had two kicks blocked in five games and was promptly let go. His longest made field goal was 40 yards.

Apparently, the Cards signed him as short-range insurance (for Rackers?) and he only attempted 3 field goals for them, none longer than 35 yards. The only field goals he missed that year were ones that were blocked, so the Skins signed him again in '06 when they had kicking troubles.

He played in 6 games for them, attempted 10 field goals and 10 extra points. He made all the PATs, but connected on only 5 field goals (no blocks). His long make that year was 47 yards (a good distance but not what you want as the top end of your range, you want your field goal kicker automatic at 40-yards or under and a safe bet inside fifty. Even money or worse outside fifty is okay, if you can live with going for it on fourth down. Some can, some can't.

He was then out of football for a year. Stats were not impressive. The Chiefs came calling in '08 because they were having trouble. He played in 6 games, starting none. He attempted 10 field goals. He made 6 (better but still not good). His long of the year was 43 yards. He was then out of football, although apparently he spent the last two years at Chargers' training camp because Norv remembered him fondly (don't know why) and he tried to win a back-up spot behind Kaeding (and failed). Um, Seifers sounds as dependable as this dude. Why'd they sign him?

Ah hah. Wikkipedia is my friend (if accurate). He was depndable in pressure situations at Maryland, though not necessarily from distance. He was signed by the Skins in September '05, kicked the game-winning extra point in the season opener (MNF at Dallas) and further cemented his cool under pressure by making a game-saving tackle on the following kickoff. Apparently he does do kickoffs.

Later he made a game-winning field goal in overtime against the Seahawks, keeping the Skins undefeated (at the time) and atop the division.

When Hall healed from his injuries, Novak was cut. The Cards picked him up for kickoffs because Rackers was injured and he hit three short field goals for them.

In '06 he resigned with the Redskins to fill in while Hall was injured again. Once again, he showed the clutch gene. He missed a 49-yarder in the closing minutes against Dallas (at home this time) but the defense blocked an answering field goal and with the return and a facemask penalty, the ball was spotted at the Dallas 30. He kicked a game-winning 47-yarder as time expired. The fans still love that win.

He also has kicked a 54-yarder in the UFL (which means no one saw it). He's clutch and he has range, but he's erratic. And that's way too much time investigating this guy.

Last edited by jordmundt6; September 14th, 2011 at 6:40 pm.
Old September 16th, 2011, 5:10 am
First Year

Let's predict some week 2 football, shall we?

Picks: 10-6
2011 overall: 10-6

Kansas City at Detroit

I'm taking Detroit. Kansas City looked absolutely atrocious, and Detroit wil go as far as Matthew Stafford's health will take them.

Oakland at Buffalo

Buffalo. I think the Raiders put on a lot weaker show than the win they got made it seem, and if Fitzpatrick can put on another show, the Raiders are in for a rough day.

Tampa Bay at Minnesota

Tampa Bay. I think the Buc's loss was more of a statement of a strong Lions team than a weak Tampa Bay team. Minnesota isn't going to perform with another performance like that from McNabb.

Chicago at New Orleans

New Orleans. The Saints put up good numbers against the Packers, and the Bears aren't as strong of a team. Look for Roman Harper to make Jay Cutler look better than he is.

Baltimore at Tennessee

Baltimore. Both of these teams experienced a rape in week 1. Tennessee was on the wrong end.

Cleveland at Indianapolis

Cleveland. The Colts looked absolutely atrocious on offense in week 1. Your QB can't put up at total QBR rating of 2.2 if you can't run the football.

Jacksonville at NY Jets

The Jets in a close one, although I would be estatic if I was wrong.

Seattle at Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh. The Steelers still have sore naughty bits from their raping last week, and who better to take it out on than the mediocre Seahawks?

Arizona at Washington

Arizona. The Redskins win was a weak Giants team, not a strong Washington team. I think Arizona will contend for their division.

Green Bay at Carolina

Green Bay. Cam Newton's not going to have a fantasy day against the Packer defense.

Dallas at San Francisco

Dallas. As tough as that was to choke out.. The Niners almost lost to the Seahawks, the Cowboys almost beat the Jets. No brainer unfortunately. Of course...Tony Romo will probably choke in the fourth.

San Diego at New England

The Patriots. I still can't believe Tom Brady put up 517 yards.

Houston at Miami

Houston. The Texans are going to be coming in hot after decimating their divisional rivals.

Cincinnati at Denver

Cincinnati. The Broncos looked like a team that had no idea what they were doing, and the Bengals stuck to their guns and fought all four quarters last week.

Philadelphia at Atlanta

Philadelphia. The Falcons will rebound, but this isn't the game to do it.

St. Louis at NY Giants

St. Louis. This still looks to be a very good Rams team, and I still can't believe the Giants lost to the Redskins.

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also
Old September 16th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Curse Breaker

Week 2 picks

KC at Detrooit

I pick Detroit. The offense has potential and the defense is strong and full of playmakers. The vocal leader on the KC defense is out for the year and they already got torched at home. I think Cassel is better than his showing, but I think that front line will put a lot of pressure on him.

Oakland at Buffalo

I pick the Bills.

As far as talent, this is probably an even matchup and that turns out to be a compliment to both teams (which we wouldn't have thought in the preseason). However, the Raiders lack discipline and the Bills are hungry. If Oakland shapes up, this could be close, but I still think the Bills should win it.

Tampa Bay at Minnesota

Bucs. I don't think Peterson will be able to carry the Vikings against a functioning offense and McNabb isn't in sync with his receivers yet.

Chicago at New Orleans

I pick New Orleans. The Saints just have too much firepower for this matchup.

Cleveland at Indy

I pick the Browns, but that's dependent on Hillis having a great day. The Browns aren't as far along as I thought they'd be and I don't think their defense can provide as much pressure as the Texans could (even if the Indy O-line is as dysfunctional as it appeared to be).

Baltimore at Tennessee

I pick Baltimore. Unless Chris Johnson rediscovers his form or the offensive line remembers how to block, that could be a rout.

Jacksonville at NY Jets

I pick the Jets (even though I hope I'm wrong). That defense is too dominant to allow MJD to carry the Jags. The only chance the Jaguars have is if their defense can stop the run and pressure Sanchez into mistakes. I hope so, but I don't think so.

Seattle at Pittsburgh

I pick Pittsburgh. Seattle is a weak team and Jackson is still prone to turnovers. Pittsburgh is angry about the embarrassment of last week and still loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. Looks like a home team romp at the big ketchup bottle.

Arizona at Washington

I pick...Washington. I'm not sold on Grossman, but that Arizona defense is Swiss Cheese. It could be a track meet, but I think the 'Skins have the guts and the talent to win a game they really should win.

Green Bay at Carolina

I pick Green Bay. They'll outmuscle the Panthers, but this could be a track meet if the Carolina offensive line holds up. Remember, the Packers' D isn't fully back yet. They could give up a lot of yards and a fair amount of points to the Newton-led Panthers.

Dallas at San Francisco

I pick Dallas, but it isn't as much of a slam dunk as it might have looked a week ago. There's some talent with the Niners' wideouts and tight ends and injuries have made the Cowboys exceptionally thin in the defensive backfield. I think the Niners will move the ball, but field goals (what they'll have to settle for with Akers) won't cut it. And no way does Ginn have another burst like he did in the 4th quarter last week.

San Diego at New England

I pick New England. I hope that New England offense is crisp enough to turn this into a track meet and that Brady throws a game-winning touchdown pass on the last drive. I'm hoping for growth on the Pats' defense, but the Chargers are loaded. The Chargers are thin on the defensive line, but New England has a lot of injuries on the offensive line.

Houston at Miami

I pick Houston. They have a more balanced attack than New England does, and that Miami defense looks disjointed and disorganized. The line should keep Schaub's jersey clean. It might be a contest for awhile but Houston should prevail.

Cincinati at Denver

Yuck. A slop festival. I'll pick Cincy but with serious reservations. Yes, they have good moemntum, yes Denver is underperforming, but I have serious doubts about both Dalton and Gradkowski.

Philly at Atlanta

Philly. A Michael Vick homecoming. If he's going to have a showcase game in the first half of the year, this should be it.

St. Louis at New York Giants

Wow. Another ugly game. I'll pick St. Louis in an upset special even without Jackson, but that's a huge limb I just decided to walk out on. Without Jackson to drive the running game, Bradford is very susceptible to pressure, but a lot of the guys who would provide that pressure (Tuck, Uemenyora, etc.) are hurt. Plus, the Giants' secondary is thin at the moment. Ugh.

Old September 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Week 2 picks

KC at Detrooit

I pick Detroit. The offense has potential and the defense is strong and full of playmakers. The vocal leader on the KC defense is out for the year and they already got torched at home.
Ugh, don't remind me... It is like sophomore slump after a great season. Ugh.

Old September 17th, 2011, 6:26 am
First Year

My Week 2 picks

Week 1:8-8

CLE@IND

I picks the Colts because its at Indy and Colts always plays weel at home, and the Browns aren't any good in my opinion. 13-10

GB@CAR

I pick the Packers because Aaron Rodgers is so unstoppable and Carolina had problems against Kolb last week. 38-20

BALT@TENN

I pick the Ravens in a rout because the Ravens have the best defense,Tennesse had trouble scoring against Jacksonville. 35-3

JAX@NYJ

I pick the Jets because the Jets have the defensie talent and Luke McCown will implode in the 3rd quarter. Also, MJD will be shut down. 24-6

KC@DET

I pick the Lions because KC had trouble stopping Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matthew Stafford will do even better against a horrible defense. 33-10

OAK@BUF

I pick the Bills because Raiders needed a 63 yard FG to help win and the Bills are at home,very confident.28-20

SEA@PIT

I pick the Steelers becaus they are angry over last week's debacle and Seattle has a hard time scoring. 34-9

AZ@WASH

This is a hard one I have to go with the Cardinals because they go a lot of offensive firepower and I believe last week's win for Washington was only because of 9-11. 30-20

CHI@NO

I pick New Orleans because they have too much offense for the Bears. 27-24

TB@MIN

Another very hard one but I have to go with the Bucs because McNabb isn't yet comfortable at this system. 20-17

DAL@SF

I pick Dallas because SF can't score TD's and Ten Ginn can't do it evert week. 14-9

HOU@MIA

I pick Houston because Miami doesn't know how to cover TE's. Owen Daniels is going to have a career game. 34-23

CIN@DEN

I pick the Broncos because its at Denver, and Cincinnati doesn't know how to handle victory. 23-21

SD@NE

I obiviously pik the Patriots because of 2 words. Tom Brady. 41-30

PHI@ATL

I pick Philly because Michael Vick will do great in his return,Atlanta is in turmoil.20-7

STL@NYG

I pick NYG because of one reason. No Steven Jackson. 24-17

Old September 17th, 2011, 12:46 pm
Snidget of Champions

Kansas City at Detroit

The Lions looked solid last week, and Kansas City looked completely bamboozled. Matt Cassel seems more or less determined to do badly this season, and he has set the stage nicely.

Oakland at Buffalo

Buffalo generally starts out fairly strong, but their gas tank empties fairly quickly. I think they still have a couple more games before they run out of steam, though, especially after their big victory in Kansas City.

Tampa Bay at Minnesota

I am a believer in the Bucs, and I think their game against the Lions last week was a showcase of two fairly good teams. The Vikings, on the other hand, simply do not have the puzzle pieces arranged yet. I think McNabb will come around, but not in this game; and to win, they have to have a passing game.

Chicago at New Orleans

The Bears looked fairly good last week, but the Saints looked better. The New Orleans offense has not changed its power, though losing Colston may have some impacts. Overall, though, Brees is good at distributing the ball to every receiver, and I do not think the Bears defense will stop them. Plus, Cutler will undoubtedly botch one or two drives (and probably shine during the rest!).

Baltimore at Tennessee

I am glad to see that Chris Johnson's new paycheck is paying off... After the Ravens' rout of the Steelers last week, I do not think the shaky Titans can compete in this one. The Ravens defense is too potent against sloppy passing, and I think they can concentrate on stopping Johnson and still protect against the pass. And Ray Rice looks like he wants to break records this season.

I do not think 1 week will have been enough for Collins to get comfortable in the Colts offense. I do not think either defense is great, but I think Cleveland knows their team a little better than the Colts do without Manning.

Jacksonville at New York Jets

This should be a decent game, but I think the Jets will pull through. Jacksonville's win last week seemed more because of a bad Titans team than a good Jaguars team. Jacksonville stopped Chris Johnson, but I do not think they will be able to stop Sanchez and that crew.

Seattle at Pittsburgh

The Steelers will not let themselves lose to what many consider the worst team in the NFL. As long as they do not turn over the ball or just play sloppy football in general, they should be able to beat the Seahawks purely through preventative play.

Arizona at Washington

I have more faith in Kolb than I do Grossman. Grossman has always been a spotty quarterback, and I do not think that it will change this season. I keep looking to Shanahan to get the Redskins' running game back on its feet, but it has not happened yet. If it does, this game could easily go to the Redskins.

Green Bay at Carolina

I always hesitate to pick my team in fear of jinxing them, but I think the Packers are just too strong and cohesive for the young Panthers team.

Dallas at San Francisco

It is always hard for me to choose Dallas in a win because I have absolutely no faith in Romo (see last week). But I do not think even Dallas can lose its head enough to lose to the 49ers.

San Diego at New England

I will choose the Chargers because of their solid defense. Tom Brady will not produce 500 yard games all season, and I think those dreams will be terminated with the potent Chargers' defense. And Philip Rivers always has the ability to score. This will be a battle of defenses getting their offenses on the field, and I think San Diego will do better in that regard. But this is probably the best game of the week, in my opinion.

Houston at Miami

Miami did not do too badly against the Patriots, despite Brady's high numbers. Henne looked good, but he is another undependable quarterback. I think Houston has a recipe for winning games against certain caliber teams, and Miami is one of those teams that Houston's strategy should work against.

Cincinnati at Denver

I choose the Broncos more out of sentimentality than anything because I do not think either team is that interesting. I think the Broncos have more potential than the Bengals, though, and I think the fans need to support the team rather than call for Tebow every other play. I do not think the fans realize how detrimental they are being toward their team this season.

Philadelphia at Atlanta

I was not impressed with the Falcons last week, but I think they want this win more than the Eagles. The entire Falcons team wants to beat Vick in Atlanta, compared to Vick being the only emotionally tied player on the Eagles to this game. So I think the Falcons will channel their considerable talent to a win over Vick's crew.

St. Louis at New York Giants

The loss of Jackson for the Rams will hurt for a long time, especially when Sam Bradford is not 100% either. The Giants still have talent (though it may seem more or less latent) on their team, and I think it will be enough to overcome the injured Rams team.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 17th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Sixth Year

I think this time I'll just simply post my picks - I do have reasoning behind them all though but no use in reiterating what you guys have already said I will say that this week was difficult for me to pick. There are a few picks that I'm not confident with either way. I've been flip flopping on some of these all weeks:

Chiefs @ Lions
Oakland @ Bills
Ravens @ Titans
Jags @ Jets
Browns @ Colts (coinflip - Collins might suck so bad, the Browns may win. Depends on who shows up that day)
Cards @ Redskins
Buccs @ Vikings
Packers @ Panthers - (our D may be rusty, but I don't think the Panthers D can handle our offense. No way Newton will have another 400 yard game)
Bears @ Saints
Seahawks @ Steelers
Cowboys @ 49er's
Chargers @ Patriots
Bengals @ Broncos
Texans @ Dolphins
Eagles @ Falcons
Rams @ Giants (my upset pick)

Old September 18th, 2011, 5:30 am
Zonko's Employee

Chiefs @ Lions (kinda self explanatory)
Oakland @ Bills (the Bills haven't been challenged)
Ravens @ Titans (I really think the Ravens are underrated. They always do well but no one evver talks about them as contenders.)
Jags @ Jets (ugh!)
Browns @ Colts (they are going to be desperate coming off a beating last week to prove they don't need Manning and the Browns are a good chance for them to do so.)
Cards @ Redskins (a game I could care nothing about so I really know very little about either team enough to make a reasonable assumption. Just winging it on this one.)
Buccs @ Vikings (because I don't like the Vikings.)
Packers @ Panthers - (the Pack is the new team nobody wants to face. Too bad for the Panthers.)
Bears @ Saints (haven't really kept up with either of these teams either but I can't believe that the Saints have slipped enough to lose to the Bears)
Seahawks @ Steelers (yet another game where a beating is going to put the fire into their bellies. )
Cowboys @ 49er's (I have little faith in Romo and less faith in coaches who call stupid goal line plays. Still, this is SF)
Chargers @ Patriots (historically we have trouble here but we'll pull it out)
Bengals @ Broncos (sounds good I guess)
Texans @ Dolphins (It's only week two but the Texans need to build on what they accomplished last week and Miami doesn't have the fortitude)
Eagles @ Falcons (dear heavens please)
Rams @ Giants (it all depends on which Giants team shows up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Dallas at San Francisco

It is always hard for me to choose Dallas in a win because I have absolutely no faith in Romo (see last week). But I do not think even Dallas can lose its head enough to lose to the 49ers.
Wow, I agreed with you almost word for word and hadn't even read your post yet!

Old September 18th, 2011, 4:51 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Philadelphia at Atlanta

I was not impressed with the Falcons last week, but I think they want this win more than the Eagles. The entire Falcons team wants to beat Vick in Atlanta, compared to Vick being the only emotionally tied player on the Eagles to this game. So I think the Falcons will channel their considerable talent to a win over Vick's crew.
I agree with this reasoning. That and Atlanta is one of those teams that tends to be very effective playing at home. Last year I don't think they lost a single game at home until the playoffs. I think the Falcons really have a good chance in this game.

Member of Ravenclaw on CoS & Member of Slytherin on Pottermore!

Wand: 13 inches, Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, Hard.

Go Falcons & Go Dolphins!
Old September 18th, 2011, 6:10 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:

I do not think 1 week will have been enough for Collins to get comfortable in the Colts offense. I do not think either defense is great, but I think Cleveland knows their team a little better than the Colts do without Manning.
You don't think playing at home will make a difference?

Old September 18th, 2011, 10:25 pm
Sixth Year

Pack played horrible and I can't believe how wrong I was. Our defense was absolutely horrible and they let Cam get 400 yards on us. We're lucky we came out with a W. Those 4 turnovers kept us in the game. We need a lot of work if we're going to win next week @ the Bears And our offense was out of sync and sloppy. Disappointing.

Also, Cam Newton and the Panthers looked good 1st quarter, but the Panthers put the entire game on Newton's shoulder by making him pass nearly every time. I think that's why Cam can get a lot of yards because their offensive coordinator is making him throw every play (which resulted in forced throws that resulted in a few picks). They need to get a running game established if they want to win. They can't expect Cam to solely win their game.

So Cam has great potential but needs a lot of work. Oh, and take the towel off your head! It makes you look childish and looks like you're hiding by putting the towel over your head and face!

And Cutler showed his poor attitude once again That is not going to win the hearts of your fans and the minds of professionals. Everyone is watching your reaction because that sets the tone of the game, and if Cutler is throwing towels around, and sulking on the bench - it makes you look bad. This is what led to the entire NFC Championship/Cutler ordeal last year. To put it bluntly - change your attitude. It only makes it worse.

Also, not surprised to see the Lions win. And Vikings, I don't know how, blew their lead. Again. Surprised the Ravens lost, but not surprised to see the Steelers shut out the Hawks.

Old September 19th, 2011, 1:44 am
Registered Animagus

Chiefs need to get their stuff together. Ugh, I don't even recognize them this year. Horrible. Completely horrible. Ugh!

Old September 19th, 2011, 1:35 pm
Second Year

GOOD, so the Falcons do still have what it takes to win big games!

Now they've just got to keep it up for the rest of the season!

Member of Ravenclaw on CoS & Member of Slytherin on Pottermore!

Wand: 13 inches, Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, Hard.

Go Falcons & Go Dolphins!
Old September 19th, 2011, 3:54 pm
Curse Breaker

I had a good week of picks (but I wish I'd been wrong on a few of them). Brady could have had an even better game than he did. He had Branch open in the endzone and just threw it through the uprights on that first field goal drive, and if the Pats were in '07 mode they'd have taken a last shot to put 40 points up on the Chargers. Defense looks just as frustrating (and beat up as last year). Argh! If Mesko's season is over, they may be going for it on fourth and short a LOT the rest of the year. The Pats could be a Madden video game come to life (at least as far as strategy). The defense played bend-don't-break and got away with it again. Another goal line stand, two picks (including that hilarious one by Wilfork) and a fumble by Tolbert that made zero sense. Who knew that the Bills and Pats might be a heavyweight clash in Week 3. Certainly not me. The Pats defense has been weak but opportunistic. The Bills can force a shootout, could even win a shootout, but that offense has to play a complete game. If they sleepwalk through the first half with a hangover from the Raiders win the way they played the first half of the Raiders game, Fitzpatrick will have to wake up the ghost of Frank Reich to bring them back.

Bears game went about the way you'd think it would go. Constant pressure on Cutler and the guy who rescues him is Forte out of the backfield, just not enough. Brees played like Brees. End of story.

If ever there was a chance of Frisco winning it was with Romo out for more than a quarter. They need a quarterback they can rely on and Smith isn't it. Who's the back-up there? Do they even have one? Romo played great through cracked ribs with a shredded receiving corps.

The biggest surprise of the week was Baltimore coming off that huge win and laying a rotten egg against the Titans. Here's the thing folks. This type of performance out of Matt H is why everyone picked them against the Jags and Luke McCown last week. They thought Hasselbeck still had the juice to get the job done (maybe he does) and that McCown was terrible (which is how he played against the Jets--with help from the Jets D). They even overcame two more picks from Sanchez.

Detroit looks positively terrifying. I think that 3rd preseason game was a taste of what they'll be dishing out all year and unless the Packers get that defense straightened out, the road to the playoffs in the North could go through Detroit. Anyone know how long it's been since that happened? TWO DECADES. I'm not a Detroit fan, but I can appreicate a drought like that (as a Cubs fan).

As for Kansas City--it looks over. The season looks done. They've lost their leader on defense and their most explosive offensive player for the season. Their defense is muddled, their offensive line is porous. Get through the rest of the year without more injuries. They've lost a quality tight end, a star safety and a star running back in the preseason and the first two games. Oh, and they cut a Pro Bowl guard. Why?

The Browns simply may not be any good. There's no excuse for letting a team playing as bad as the Colts are to hang around for more than a half and even grab a LEAD on the strength of Vinatieri's leg. No excuse. None. They righted the ship and won by eight (really more, but the Colts scored a garbage time touchdown...less than 30 ticks left) to make it look respectable. If ever there was a team in need of Andrew Luck, it's that team in Indy folks.

Minnesota looked decent for the first half and terrible in the second again and managed to lose a 17 point lead. Maybe the Bucs are on the road back, but they looked to have some serious weaknesses. The Vikings are just in the mud.

Seattle is terrible. Pittsburgh was angry over the embarrasment last week. That is it.

In spite of the turnovers they got, Green Bay let Carolina hang around after reclaiming the lead. That defense looks like it can be had right now. Newton is having a string of great almosts. Perhaps he can pull out an actual victory against the depleted Jaguars.

Last edited by jordmundt6; September 19th, 2011 at 4:13 pm.
Old September 19th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
The Pats defense has been weak but opportunistic.
What a perfect way to describe it! They are beyond lucky that they have Brady and Co on the other side because the defense isn't winning any games for them.

Quote:
The biggest surprise of the week was Baltimore coming off that huge win and laying a rotten egg against the Titans.

What is UP with that anyway?!

The Bills/Oakland game was intense. I picked the Bills and got mad when the TV station switched to my Pats game due to "contractual obligations" just as they were about to score. And can I mention that I love hail marys?