Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old October 1st, 2012, 3:13 am
Curse Breaker

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

The Chiefs are playing ugly. I'm tempted to laugh at the idea that Cassel is or can be an elite quarterback (after all, he took the keys to a Porsche back in '08 and drove it like a Prius). However, the biggest problem for them seems to be line of scrimmage, both sides of the ball. Cassel can do very little about that.

The Pats' front four is good, the running backs and offensive line are decent. The quarterback is excellent and the recievers and tight ends are either excellent or have excellent upside. If they can improve and/or protect that secondary, they should play with and/or beat anyone they come across. I'm still not sold on the Broncos. The Raiders tend to be Jekyll and Hyde and it appears that while Peyton is getting his confidence back, he caught them on a Hyde day.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2012, 4:18 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The Chiefs are playing ugly. I'm tempted to laugh at the idea that Cassel is or can be an elite quarterback (after all, he took the keys to a Porsche back in '08 and drove it like a Prius). However, the biggest problem for them seems to be line of scrimmage, both sides of the ball. Cassel can do very little about that.
Go ahead and laugh... most of the Chiefs fans are doing it...

Although I laugh at some of the people who want them to put Ricky Stanzi in... guy is injured...

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:32 pm
First Year

Dallas should easily win tonight.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 9:35 pm
Curse Breaker

And yet, they didn't. They're an incredibly talented team, but they lack discipline. The game was closer than the final score, but Romo isn't on the same page as some of his receivers *cough*BRYANT*cough*. You have two teams that are supposed to be mirrored images of each other. Talented quarterbacks who sprinkle in EXCELLENT play with their generally above-average norm, but sometimes downshift into downright terrible performances. Beat up, undsciplined offensive lines. Talented defensive fronts and front sevens (watch out on the Bears' production if Peppers is really hurt). They have secondaries with potential, but lacking a bit in discipline. The Cowboys drafted and brought guys in with free agency to improve that secondary, but it hasn't been as consistent as they'd have liked.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:44 pm
First Year

Brady vs Manning will be absolutly epic. 41-38 PATROITS.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:58 pm
Curse Breaker

Gracious, I hope not. I'm looking for a 35-17 victory at home. I hope that secondary is up to jumping some crossing routes since they haven't been up to much else.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 5:00 pm
Registered Animagus

Just recently got tickets for the Raiders @ Chiefs game at the end of the month. I sincerely hope I don't sit near any Raiders fans... they have scary fans. Arrowhead Stadium is a blast to be in though. Been to a few games, and it is SO LOUD! Loudest stadium in the country.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:36 pm
First Year

Chiefs will win that game. Also, congrats.

Old October 5th, 2012, 4:51 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, we hope. Both teams have Jekyll-Hyde tendencies. Good running backs, talented receivers, bad quarterbacks, terrible offensive lines and sieve secondaries. If the good Chiefs show up, they should win.

Hey, look at that, the real Arizona Cardinals showed up to play a game. They are now 4 and 1 and the NFC West just got a little tighter.

Old October 5th, 2012, 9:06 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Still waiting for the Lions to show up . It's been disappointing so far this year.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:03 pm
First Year

My picks.

Last Week: 11-4
Season Record: 38-25

Won last night's game.

Baltimore over Kansas City 26-13, Ravens tend to struggle in games they should win.
Cincinnati over Miami 34-24. AJ Green is a monster.
NY Giants over Cleveland 23-6.
Pittsburgh over Philadelphia 17-14.
Green Bay over Indianapolis 34-10. Luck is confused, throws 4 INT's.
Atlanta over Washington 31-28 OT. Atlanta barely wins yet again.
Chicago over Jacksonville 28-7.
Minnesota over Tennessee. 20-17. Titan's D can't stop Percy Harvin.
Carolina over Seattle 21-16.
San Francisco over Buffalo 27-10.
New England over Denver 41-38. GRONK. Nuff Said.
New Orleans over San Diego 34-31. Sean Payton provides emotional boost.
Houston over NY Jets 31-7.

BYE: Dallas,Detroit,Oakland,Tampa Bay

Old October 6th, 2012, 3:05 am
Curse Breaker

Agree on Baltimore. More's the pity. But I think you might be underselling the spread at under two touchdowns.

I understand the Cincy pick. I'll agree (but I think Hartline has the capacity to be a possession monster and Fasano has talent).

I understand and agree on the Giants pick. However, be aware that the Giants have an extended history of coming up small at home. Still, it's Cleaveland.

Agree that Green Bay wil win, but the Packer defense is all about sellout pressure, not awesome coverage. I can see Luck throwing four picks because he's running for his life from Matthews.

I'll take Washington. I understand your reasoning and the Redskins have shown a propensity for blowing opportunities to close out games. However, I think we've seen the Falcons' feet of clay and RGIII might actually close the deal and avoid the costly turnover. I'm going out really far on a limb given

A. the poor secondary play from the Redskins so far and
B. the fact that they've been decimated by injury in that secondary.

I understand and agree on Chicago, but this could be closer if Cutler has one of his Bad Jay Cutler games.

I agree on Minnesota, but I think they'll win more comfortably. Tennessee is just awful.

I'll take the Seahawks over the Panthers, but I like the 21-16 score. Don't underestimate Lynch.

I agree on San Fran's victory, but I think you're giving the Bills too many points and shorting the Niners.

I agree on New England's victory, and it's possible that Peyton could get into a shootout on scholarship, but two things

1. Denver's defense can be had and
2. If all the Pats leave open is the deep throw, Peyton might have some trouble. I'm hoping for a 14 point win, but the point totals aren't out of the question given the state of both secondaries.

I think I'll actually agree on New Orleans, but this could be a squeaker. New Orleans does not play disciplined defense.

I agree Houston will win, but I think you're giving the Jets too much credit and the Texans too little. More like a 45-3, if that. The Texans are ballhawks and the Jets aren't any more motivated to chase down interception returns than the Titans were.

Old October 6th, 2012, 11:52 am
Sixth Year

Baltimore, Kansas City
- Arrowhead will disrupt the no huddle and our defending is poor but Ravens are still good run stuffers and without that Chiefs haven't got anything.
Cincinnati, Miami
- Love for my AFC North buddies, plus they're just a more complete team.
NY Giants over Cleveland
- Browns.
Pittsburgh, Philly
- Harrison and Polamalu are back.
Green Bay, Indianapolis
- Luck is looking good but they've just lost their head coach and y'know, it's Green Bay.
Washington, Atlanta
- Biggest offensive shootout of the week and also my upset of the week. Thing Skins might just about pull this one off.
Chicago, Jacksonville
- Honestly I don't see how Jags have got better at all
Minnesota, Tennessee.
- Hard to see if Vikings really are legit this year, but they should handle Tennessee.
Carolina, Seattle
- Seattle will struggle but it could be close.
San Francisco, Buffalo
- Clinical vs sloppy, usually clinical wins.
New England, Denver
- Could be close, pumped for Manning vs Brady but the Pats O is monstrous when it picks up some steam. Could well be the D that decides the game with a timely turnover or two.
New Orleans, San Diego
- I'm just not a big chargers fan, though I don't know how long I can keep picking Saints.
Houston, NY Jets
- Once this would be an exciting match-up. Sadly no longer.

i'm in slytherin!
Old October 8th, 2012, 1:12 am
Curse Breaker

Okay, Fury--the fans of KC have my sympathy, but your coaching staff...ARGH! I didn't realize you had a quarterback better than 16 starters in the NFL just rotting on your bench behind Cassel. To force those turnovers and do nothing with them. To kick the field goal down six because you thought your defense would hold when it hadn't for most of the game...mind-bogglingly bad strategy. The game was much closer and uglier than most partisans would have predicted, but Baltimore escaped.

Indy rose up and surprised everyone.

Cincy--ugh. Looked like the bad old days of the Bungles for awhile there.

Pittsburgh survived Philly (barely)

Minnesota, Chicago, and San Fran torched their various tomato cans.

The Giants did just about everything they could to hand the game to the Browns and still had the lead by halftime. Yikes.

Seattle survived the slop festival. Good luck welcoming New England next week.

Speaking of New England--for three quarters, that was a blowout. Then the Pats seemed to relax into believing the game was over and Manning capitalized on it. Don't want to have to rely on forced fumbles to preserve a win after they build up a twenty point lead. Yuck.

Washington-Atlanta. Is it possible that Atlanta's the worst 5-0 team in ten years. Yikes that was ugly. No quarterback controversy whatsover, but Griffin's going to have to figure out how to play aggressive AND smart.

I think Buffalo is one of the three worst teams in the league (right there with the Jets). The Pats must feel very fortunate right now that the division is shaping up the way it is.

Old October 8th, 2012, 1:58 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Okay, Fury--the fans of KC have my sympathy, but your coaching staff...ARGH! I didn't realize you had a quarterback better than 16 starters in the NFL just rotting on your bench behind Cassel. To force those turnovers and do nothing with them. To kick the field goal down six because you thought your defense would hold when it hadn't for most of the game...mind-bogglingly bad strategy. The game was much closer and uglier than most partisans would have predicted, but Baltimore escaped.
You know it is bad when you agree with a commentator when they said a certain play would have been a touchdown if the replacement refs were still there, and you WISH they were there.

Old October 8th, 2012, 2:45 am
First Year

I can't believe the Patriots almost lost. I have a history fact that relates to today's victory.

2009: Led 31-14, Lost 35-34. Ugh.
2010: Led 31-14, Won 31-28. Whew.
2012: Led 31-14, Won 31-21. Whew.

The Colt's win was amazing. I am very nervous last week because of Seattle's suffocating Defense.

Old October 8th, 2012, 5:54 pm
Curse Breaker

Pretty much. They semed to shut it down at the beginning of the fourth quarter and couldn't quite get revved up again (though they were moving the ball before the sack disaster) and they were moving the ball before Ridley's fumble. If they were four and 0 going into the game and Gostowski hadn't had a terrible experience this year, they probably would have kicked the 53-yarder to extend the lead to 34-21.

The Colts were amazing.

Fury--I was watching the early games on RedZone, so I missed the reaction when Cassel was concussed. I saw the play and was sure he was concussed, but RedZone didn't stick around for the reaction. I'm a little confused about the fanbase's relationship with and impression of Cassel. I'm hearing that there's grumbling that the Pats sold you a bill of goods or somehow hoodwinked you into taking him in '09. Huh?

Also, why wasn't Cassel benched before this? The offense has looked just awful all season. Quinn's not a superstar, but he's a perfectly competent (and maybe a bit more than just competent) NFL QB who can read defenses and throw. He's not supremely mobile, but he's mobile enough to step around in the pocket to avoid the rush. What am I missing here?

About Seattle's defense...um, I'm not all that impressed so far, and their offense seems to sputter.

Old October 8th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:

Fury--I was watching the early games on RedZone, so I missed the reaction when Cassel was concussed. I saw the play and was sure he was concussed, but RedZone didn't stick around for the reaction. I'm a little confused about the fanbase's relationship with and impression of Cassel. I'm hearing that there's grumbling that the Pats sold you a bill of goods or somehow hoodwinked you into taking him in '09. Huh?

Also, why wasn't Cassel benched before this? The offense has looked just awful all season. Quinn's not a superstar, but he's a perfectly competent (and maybe a bit more than just competent) NFL QB who can read defenses and throw. He's not supremely mobile, but he's mobile enough to step around in the pocket to avoid the rush. What am I missing here?
For the second part.. you already said it... bad coaching.

The first part... I'm not exactly following all of it. But there is a lot of mixed-talk here in Kansas City about the whole cheering at the stadium when it came to Cassel getting injured. A lot of people found that disgusting (my opinion as well) and those who side with the cheering....

Well, one person said "these players make a lot of money to do what they do, they need to earn it. We spend hard-earned money to watch our teams play and win, and they aren't doing it, so we're reacting". Some of those who sided with the cheering tried to make an excuse that they were cheering with the fact that Quinn was coming out, or cheering that Cassel walked off the field. However, there are those who said they were cheering when he was on the field, and if they wanted to cheer for him being okay, they'd do it after he was getting off the field... which they weren't. It started before.

It is just really ugly... though there are plenty of people who agree with Eric Winston (Think that was his name) when he said it was really disgusting and disrepectful. Cassel is human, just like everyone else, and he really could have been injured.

Old October 8th, 2012, 10:16 pm
Sixth Year

A lot of the cheering post-play was for Brady Quinn coming on and also the fact that the play ended in a first down thanks to Jamaal Charles so most people in the stadium are off the hook completely.

However, there were a few in the crowd who did seem to be cheering Cassel's injury which seemed a bit grim.

i'm in slytherin!
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:52 pm
First Year

Jordmunt, Seattle sacked Aaron Rodgers 8 times in one half.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports