Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Dumbledore's Portrait : Can it speak? Will it be able to help Harry? v2

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:10 am
Curse Breaker

Dumbledore's Portrait : Can it speak? Will it be able to help Harry? v2

WARNING: This is a spoiler free area. For all Deathly Hallows discussion, please head to The Deathly Hallows Forum. Any posts in this thread that are considered to be spoilers shall be deleted by staff. Thank you.

Welcome to version two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespg, original thread View Post
After the death we heard a lot about harry coming to the realisation that he would never speak to dumbledore again. but we heard that his portrait is hanging in the headmasters office! maybe dumbledore can help the order and advise harry through this portrait. or is this not possible?
Last few posts of version one:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyGoBlue View Post
Everything I've read seems to indicate that the Witches and Wizards in the portraits act in a very conscious and in the now sort of way. They are able to act and give real time information as to what they can see and hear ie. Mr Weasley's snake bite. They can also discuss there experiances and knowledge of things past. DD will have portraits all over the wizarding world, as he was very accomplished and respected, not just the Headmasters office. So If he does Wake up, I believe Harry will be able to get info both past and present, how much info is another question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzVictoria View Post
I bet it might talk some, but this is sort of a thing Harry has do do on his own, as mentioned before. Also, as to the fact that DD didn't start giving advice right away, it probably just went with the plot, and it also went with dumbledore, kind of relaxing and being peaceful and not all OMG, although you'd think, considering the circumstances he'd be a little more, i dunno, up and at 'em. oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuer_lisse View Post
I dont think Harry will have trouble getting into the office now that DD is dead beacuse it seems as if all the rules will be relaxed. I agree with your point about how Phineas did that. That proves that even though they are just memories, that they can process and learn new information such as the Birth and death of Sirius. At first i was worried that DD may only be able to repeat old information, but now it seems as if he will be able to help. I wonder if there are other portraits of DD and where are they?

Please continue the speculation and wonderment.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs

Last edited by Pegasus; July 13th, 2007 at 8:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2007, 2:21 am
Second Year

Re: Dumbledore's Portrait : Can it speak? Will it be able to help Harry? v2

Excellent, this topic definitely deserves a v2 because it could prove to be a deciding factor in Harry's fight against Voldemort.

If DD can infact impart further wisdom upon Harry and the Order dont you think it will be kind of awkward at first for Harry to talk to someone who he just witnessed fall off a tower? Where would he start? Harry-"Hello sir, how's the weather?"

My first question to him though would obviously be about Snape's betrayal and whether or not Snape was acting under orders. Infact almost every ambiguity that we have thought about that last scene at the Lightning Struck Tower could be answered by DD.

1) Is Snape Evil?
2) What happened to you while you were drinking the potion?
3) What do i do next?

those should be Harry's first three questions

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:26 am
Animaga terpsichore

If the portrait was able to talk, I think it would help Harry a great deal, and it would also probably gives clues to Harry about where the Horcruxes could be.

Quote:
My first question to him though would obviously be about Snape's betrayal and whether or not Snape was acting under orders. Infact almost every ambiguity that we have thought about that last scene at the Lightning Struck Tower could be answered by DD.

1) Is Snape Evil?
3) What do i do next?

those are some very good questions. If I was Harry i'd be asking the exact same ones.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old January 8th, 2007, 2:27 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
tuer_lisse:

1) Is Snape Evil?
3) What do i do next?

Yes me too. Though I think that if that happened, it would take all of the mystery out of the plot, or at least most of it. Maybe Dumbledore's portrait will say that Harry was to find out for himself, or maybe it won't wake up when Harry comes, if he returns to Hogwarts.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old January 8th, 2007, 2:28 am
Second Year

Among those, Harry should also ask why dumbledore trusted snape so much, as i dont think it was revealed in HBP. I also think that he should ask what he meant by 'remember my last' as it would mean that they (AD/PD) were in contact over the years. Im curious as to why.

Seeing the portrait would obviously be very emotional for harry, wouldnt it?

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:32 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
InvaderZimmeh:
Among those, Harry should also ask why dumbledore trusted snape so much, as i dont think it was revealed in HBP. I also think that he should ask what he meant by 'remember my last' as it would mean that they (AD/PD) were in contact over the years. Im curious as to why.

Seeing the portrait would obviously be very emotional for harry, wouldnt it?
I think he was referring to the letter that he left when he dropped Harry off as a baby. Though they could have remained in contact, there's more to Petunia than we know.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old January 8th, 2007, 2:33 am
First Year

i'm wondering if the portrait will even be able to answer those questions. after all, it's not actually DD himself. i kinda think that would be all to easy for harry to just walk in and learn everything he needs to know. I don't think that the picture is going to have DD's memories. i do think that it will be able to give harry DD-ish advice though.

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:34 am
Second Year

Definitely, seeing the greatest mentor you ever had, coming to talk to you after his death, it would be a great shock but I will absolutely like Dumbledore´s portrait to speak we´ll see...

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:35 am
First Year

if i'm not mistaken, i believe jkr said that DD and aunt petunia had actually been in contact since harry was dropped off.

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:36 am
Second Year

Yes, but more along the lines as to what they were in contact over. It couldnt possibly be parenting tips...

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderZimmeh View Post
Yes, but more along the lines as to what they were in contact over. It couldnt possibly be parenting tips...
well, no, but i bet it's important..... everything we don't know seems to be rather important.

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:43 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderZimmeh View Post
Well i think that some contact from DD was to be assumed because DD wouldn't leave such an important boy alone for 11 years without thinking about him... It could have very well been parenting advice tho because how would a muggle deal with a magical boy?

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:46 am
First Year

i'm thinking his last letter had something to do with explaining why harry had to stay with them. remember what was going on when the howler came? uncle vernon was trying to kick harry out, aunt petunia got the letter, and said the boy stays.

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:51 am
Curse Breaker

Does anyone think Albus has more than one portrait? Phineas had two, the frog-like man in the Prime Minister's office had two, Dilys had two and Everard had two. Albus says of the latter two, "Their renown is such that both have portraits hanging in other important Wizarding institutions." (Everard in the Ministry, Dilys at St. Mungo's). Phineas has his additional portrait in the ancestral family home (Grimmauld Place). Shouldn't Albus have a second portrait somewhere besides Hogwarts, considering his fame and renown?

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old January 8th, 2007, 2:54 am
First Year

I think it would be kind of funny if Harry carries the portrait everywhere he goes....butthat won't happen....

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:58 am
First Year

I don't think it will. BTW, there was a great discussion of this on a recent episode of PotterCast (www.pottercast.com).

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:59 am
Second Year

Quote:
Excellent, this topic definitely deserves a v2 because it could prove to be a deciding factor in Harry's fight against Voldemort.

If DD can infact impart further wisdom upon Harry and the Order dont you think it will be kind of awkward at first for Harry to talk to someone who he just witnessed fall off a tower? Where would he start? Harry-"Hello sir, how's the weather?"

1) Is Snape Evil?
3) What do i do next?

The portrait is the imprint of the personality of the person in the painting, so I think that even if Harry asks the questions, because DD didn't answer then while he was alive, he most probably won't as a painting, especially the Snape one. I think Harry'll set up base camp somewhere for book 7 (Grimmauld Place or Godrics Hollow most probably) and will take the portrait from the headmasters office, or a portrait from somewhere else with him (I think McGonagall will want to keep DD around at the school for a bit). I think the portrait’ll be more a sounding board for ideas, than actually giving ideas.

"From here on in I may be as woefully wrong as Humphrey Belcher, who believed the time was ripe for a cheese cauldron" - Dumbledore

"Always take a banana to a party... Banana's are good..."- The Doctor

The Sorting Hat says I'm a patient, just and loyal... That's me!!
Old January 8th, 2007, 3:08 am
First Year

That is one of the first things I thought of after finishing book 6 (Dumbledore's portrait) and I think he could still help Harry though I'm not entirely sure because I don't know how the portrait works, is it some form of ghost?

Old January 8th, 2007, 3:11 am
Second Year

This came to my mind soon after finishing book 6 as well. I'm hoping Dumbledore will be able to give some advice or something. But I'm not sure if it's entirely possible. It would be a reassuring surprise though for Harry.

"No way, the old codger can see out of the back of his head!" - Seamus Finnigan
Old January 8th, 2007, 3:11 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extasis View Post
That is one of the first things I thought of after finishing book 6 (Dumbledore's portrait) and I think he could still help Harry though I'm not entirely sure because I don't know how the portrait works, is it some form of ghost?
Yeah that was my first thought as well. But it is a good point that since DD never answered those questions during the long period of his natural existence on earth(haha) he probably wont be able to answer them now.

There should most definitely be more portraits of dumbledore throughout the wizarding community which should play a part in the plot.

Is there a thread for ghost discussion like about coming back as one etc?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies