Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Dumbledore's Portrait : Can it speak? Will it be able to help Harry? v2

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:22 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Dumbledore's Portrait : Can it speak? Will it be able to help Harry? v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuer_lisse View Post
Is there a thread for ghost discussion like about coming back as one etc?
Along with those about Voldemort and Dumbledore coming back as ghosts, perhaps Why do some people become ghosts and others don't?.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2007, 2:25 am
Second Year

Thank you, i will look in to it!

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:33 am
First Year

It would only make sense.

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:38 am
Sirius' Girl

I just realized something: this is the first time that we've known a character who later dies and has a portrait of himself where something like this could happen. It will be interesting to see how much of Dumbledore is actually present in his likeness. We know that the personality carries over, but it is essential to the question to know what else remains. I doubt he has any secrets that, having died with him, could be revealed by pressing his portrait about it. I think he'll be there more as an automaton, if we see him at all.

I assume it's like the Mirror of Erised, except that the images can interact more with their environment.

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:44 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimsPensieve View Post
I just realized something: this is the first time that we've known a character who later dies and has a portrait of himself where something like this could happen. It will be interesting to see how much of Dumbledore is actually present in his likeness. We know that the personality carries over, but it is essential to the question to know what else remains. I doubt he has any secrets that, having died with him, could be revealed by pressing his portrait about it. I think he'll be there more as an automaton, if we see him at all.

I assume it's like the Mirror of Erised, except that the images can interact more with their environment.
Very true, we can only guess that Phineas' portrait acts like he really was because we didnt know Phineas in his real life... great point

How much likeness will there really be about his portrait?

Old January 8th, 2007, 3:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuer_lisse View Post
Well i think that some contact from DD was to be assumed because DD wouldn't leave such an important boy alone for 11 years without thinking about him... It could have very well been parenting advice tho because how would a muggle deal with a magical boy?
Ask hermione's parents! They wouldnt have known what she was until they got her letter (as she says on the train, "I was surprised when I got my letter" -not exact quote of course)

Old January 8th, 2007, 9:15 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimsPensieve View Post

This is a great point, Dumbledore died at Hogwarts itself and we can assume that most of the previous heads probably died else where. Dumbledore is also the only ever head to have a tomb at the school on the school grounds itself. In a way each of these events could add to the auror that might come from Dumbledore's portrait in the heads office.

Old January 8th, 2007, 9:29 pm
First Year

Yeah im also wondring what "realness" the portait will have. In many other pictures we have seen that the image has a sense of the personality of the real life wizard/witch, but we dont know if they can remember things such as memeories beyond "who was I... what did i do in life etc." It could be that the picture is simply meant to be a reminder of who the person was, not a continuation of their life.

Old January 8th, 2007, 9:53 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDays View Post
This came to my mind soon after finishing book 6 as well. I'm hoping Dumbledore will be able to give some advice or something. But I'm not sure if it's entirely possible. It would be a reassuring surprise though for Harry.
I think harry iz going through sooo much, he would break down if not for some reassurence. i think JKR knows this, so the protrait will probably help out a little.

Old January 8th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Second Year

obviously it can talk all potraits of ex-heads can talk!

Old January 8th, 2007, 10:11 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist1289 View Post
Yeah im also wondring what "realness" the portait will have. In many other pictures we have seen that the image has a sense of the personality of the real life wizard/witch, but we dont know if they can remember things such as memeories beyond "who was I... what did i do in life etc." It could be that the picture is simply meant to be a reminder of who the person was, not a continuation of their life.

Phineas was very aware that Sirius was his family when he heard that he was dead... So hopefully DD will be aware of himself as well.

Old January 8th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesarah View Post
obviously it can talk all potraits of ex-heads can talk!
I dont think that is the purpose of this thread...
Sure maybe all of the other ex-heads can talk and that is a very generous generalization. But how many ex-heads have the same history and background as DD? How many ex-heads died in the circumstances as DD? How many Ex-heads got last rights at Hogwarts itself? Dumbledore's portrait will be as special and unique as the real Dumbledore. How special and unique i dont know, and thus we come to the purpose of this thread...

Old January 8th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

The portraits of the former Headmasters and Headmistresses are duty bound to advise and assist the current Headmaster or Headmistress in anyway they can. And, Dumbledore will offer whatever assistance he can to Minerva McGonagal, that is assuming she remains the Headmistress. She is only Acting Headmistress at this moment. It is up to the Governors to appoint that position. But I digress. Whomever the new Headmistress or Master is, Dumbledore will offer his guidance.

However, there was a purpose in Dumbledore's demise. Very little will be offered to Harry from the Portrait Dumbledore. He hangs in the Headmistress's office, and Harry has no intention of returning for the next term, therefore no longer a student, ergo more limited access to that office than ever before. And, since he could not possibly guess the password (Dumbledore's always used favorite sweets or variations "Sherbet Lemon") to get by the stone statute guarding the entry, I doubt sneaking up is an option.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:28 pm
Curse Breaker

I guess I am the only one who thinks Albus was important enough to have a second portrait elsewhere...

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old January 9th, 2007, 3:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
The portraits of the former Headmasters and Headmistresses are duty bound to advise and assist the current Headmaster or Headmistress in anyway they can. And, Dumbledore will offer whatever assistance he can to Minerva McGonagal, that is assuming she remains the Headmistress. She is only Acting Headmistress at this moment. It is up to the Governors to appoint that position. But I digress. Whomever the new Headmistress or Master is, Dumbledore will offer his guidance.

However, there was a purpose in Dumbledore's demise. Very little will be offered to Harry from the Portrait Dumbledore. He hangs in the Headmistress's office, and Harry has no intention of returning for the next term, therefore no longer a student, ergo more limited access to that office than ever before. And, since he could not possibly guess the password (Dumbledore's always used favorite sweets or variations "Sherbet Lemon") to get by the stone statute guarding the entry, I doubt sneaking up is an option.
I doubt that Harry would ever have to sneak up to see DD. if McGonagal is the new head then he could simply ask her to visit DD's portrait. She knows Harry was specail to DD and i think would allow him entrance.

Old January 9th, 2007, 9:29 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
I guess I am the only one who thinks Albus was important enough to have a second portrait elsewhere...
Well if he does I will second guess at it being some where near his possible brother Aberforth.

Old January 9th, 2007, 9:43 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Nicole:
Does anyone think Albus has more than one portrait? Phineas had two, the frog-like man in the Prime Minister's office had two, Dilys had two and Everard had two. Albus says of the latter two, "Their renown is such that both have portraits hanging in other important Wizarding institutions." (Everard in the Ministry, Dilys at St. Mungo's). Phineas has his additional portrait in the ancestral family home (Grimmauld Place). Shouldn't Albus have a second portrait somewhere besides Hogwarts, considering his fame and renown?
Well if there is, we haven't seen it. The only other place we've seen a picture of DD on is the chocolate frog cards. Dumbledore seems like the kind of person who would have prepared for some obstacle like his death. Maybe Harry will discover a portrait of Dumbledore on one of his travels.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old January 9th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
He could get one at the Ministry of Magic ... although his relationship with the Ministry wasn't that great lately. But he was Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, so that would justify a portrait at the Ministry, wouldn't it?

I like the idea that he might have a portrait at his brother's place... or some family home of the Dumbledore's.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
HesHPfan:
I like the idea that he might have a portrait at his brother's place... or some family home of the Dumbledore's.
Yes but I wonder. The portrait only appear after he died, and all other portraits are of dead people. Can a portrait only be made after someone has died? If so, can they decide in their lifetime where their portraits will go. Is there some kind of spell?

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
Well if there is, we haven't seen it. The only other place we've seen a picture of DD on is the chocolate frog cards. Dumbledore seems like the kind of person who would have prepared for some obstacle like his death. Maybe Harry will discover a portrait of Dumbledore on one of his travels.

Of course we have seen Dumbledore's portrait...on the backs of many Chocolate Frog Trading Cards. Remember when Harry and Ron first meet and Harry discovers Chocolate Frogs? He said, "He's gone!", to which Ron replied, "Well you can't expect him to hang around all day!"

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies