Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

How did Hagrid fly to the Rock in the Sea?

Old January 29th, 2007, 6:10 pm
Third Year

Re: How did Hagrid fly to the Rock in the Sea?

Probably Hagrid apparated and disapparated his way to the Rock in the Sea.

Old January 29th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqen View Post
Probably Hagrid apparated and disapparated his way to the Rock in the Sea.
He can't even pull off a transfiguration spell and couldn't remember how to shoot a jet of water. How is it he'd know how to Apparate?

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:08 pm
First Year

For Thestrels, did Hagrid see anyone die? Also this is also for another thread, but thinking of Thestrels, and death, can you see a Threstal if you saw an animal die, instead of a human.

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:35 pm
Third Year

I always wondered about this. He most likely didn't fly there on a broomstick, magical carpets are illegal and we didn't see any anyway.... I don't find it likely that Fawkes took him there and then left. I finally concluded that this little bit of information must have been given just to give the reader insight as to what can be done in the magical world. Everyone thinks witches and wizards can fly, and this not only amazed Harry it amazed the reader,

Old January 30th, 2007, 12:02 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermeneutic View Post
He can't even pull off a transfiguration spell and couldn't remember how to shoot a jet of water. How is it he'd know how to Apparate?
Well, considering that that charm is one out of thousands - and they only learned it in the sixth year. Hagrid was kicked out in his third year. Thus, unless he did tons of studying afterwards, it's quite an accomplishment that he had a clue on what the charm was. However, he might have been allowed to take his Apparition test because it is important for wizards (remember, when Harry turned around Hagrid was gone). I do agree, though, that he would not use the term 'fly' if he Apparated.

Therefore, I am led to believe that he flew across the lake by his umbrella, via Mary Poppins.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:08 am
First Year

that is a very valid point that Hagrid was kicked out in his third year thus, he wouldn't know very advanced magic (i.e. apparation) Maybe DD taught him? I don't know. The most logical explination is either a thestral or broom (but what broom would hold a giant?)

Old January 30th, 2007, 12:11 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius12 View Post
For Thestrels, did Hagrid see anyone die? Also this is also for another thread, but thinking of Thestrels, and death, can you see a Threstal if you saw an animal die, instead of a human.
Hmm...I doubt it. Everyone has seen flies and spiders die, so unless you don't consider them 'animals' then animals wouldn't count.
Also, Hagrid lived through the first war so he must have seen someone die, and he obviously has to be able to see them in OotP based on his comments in his lesson about thestrals.

Old January 30th, 2007, 12:25 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius12 View Post
Didn't Hagrid see his dad die?Tthat is why I think he sees the thestrels, but I could be wrong.

“If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day,
so I never have to live without you.” Winnie the Pooh
Old January 30th, 2007, 2:26 am
Second Year

I think Hagrid can definately see thestrals. Afterall, he's got the only trained herd in all of Britian.

But I don't think Hagrid would leave one of his thestrals on the island.

Maybe Dumbledore made him a Portkey.

Maybe he took the Knight Bus.

Old January 30th, 2007, 2:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemasterflex View Post
Just as the title states. We find out that in PS/SS he returned the motorbike to Sirius after he brought Harry to DD so how did he get to the rock in the sea which the Dursleys go to get away from all "the letters from no one"
I imagine he went Mary Poppins style.

Old January 30th, 2007, 2:55 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayzie View Post
I imagine he went Mary Poppins style.
By magical umbrella?

Old January 30th, 2007, 3:04 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agraphia View Post
By magical umbrella?
That's what I thought, too. When I first read the scene, I got an image of him floating over the sea dangling by the handle of the umbrella.

Old January 31st, 2007, 1:56 pm
Snidget of Champions

I believe that we may want to get back on the subject that needs to be discussed. This thread is not whether or not Hagrid can see thestrals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemasterflex
The most logical explination is either a thestral or broom (but what broom would hold a giant?)
Hagrid says himself that he does not fly a broom (also, he is not full giant, but I get your point):
OotP, Hagrid's Tale, Page 437, American, HBOver...over a friend's broomstick. I don' fly, meself. Well, look at the size o' me, I don' reckon there's a broomstick that'd hold me.

Somehow I simply doubt that Hagrid rode a thestral. I doubt, for one, that the thestral would have fit on the rock - atleast safely. Also, when Hagrid says that he was aloud to use some magic to get the letters to Harry, I believe that also suggests that he used magic for him to get to Harry. It would be asking a lot of a thestral to go around and around constantly with a half giant on his back.

As I have already stated, via Mary Poppins is the way to go.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 31st, 2007, 8:23 pm
Third Year

BY: Hermeneutic
Quote:
But despite the storm, there are three sounds Harry hears prior to Hagrid's arrival: a creak, something slapping against the rocks, and odd crunching noises. The last two, or maybe only the last one, are Hagrid's footsteps. Anyone have any wild speculations about what mode of transportation would creak and slap against the rocks? Other than a boat, which Hagrid didn't use?
Thank you for that info. I need to re-read. I thought the easiest and cleanest would be for Dumbledore to make a portkey from Hogwarts to the Island for Hagrid. But, that slapping noise against the rocks could be the wings of a Thestral. After all, that would have to be a big animal to carry Hagrid. Buckbeak never seemed large enought to carry him. There is always Faulks, who can carry heavy loads, but I still lean toward a portkey.

Old January 31st, 2007, 8:37 pm
Seventh Year

Well, i think it's a Threstal. it would explain why harry didn't see it the next day.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old January 31st, 2007, 8:57 pm
Third Year

OK i personally think that a portkey is out of the question because someone needs to set up a portkey at both ends. i.e (Ministry to and from World Cup, Pettigrew in graveyard, Moody [crouch] in Triwizard tournament). So unless an actual wizard or witch apparated onto the rock to create a portkey so Hagrid could get transported to the rock a portkey is out of the question. And someone apparating to create a portkey doesn't make much sense at all otherwise they would have gotten Harry.

I do not think he flew on a broom because he has said before he wont fly on a broom. And i also dont think he would want to leave a Nimbus 2000 on a rock in the middle of the ocean.

Thestrals at first seemed pretty logical, but I'm not sure that it would be able to hold someone of Hagrids size, let alone land on a tiny landing strip of a rock.

It's possible that Hagrid can apparate, we've never actually witnessed Hagrid apparate before, but we also dont see him outside of Hogwarts that often, and everyone knows you can't apparate inside the walls of Hogwarts ("It says so, in Hogwarts, A History" Hermione Granger)

Hagrid knows many of magical creatures (obviously) so there may be another means of transportation VIA animal that we havent heard of. Perhaps he hitched a ride on a water dwelling beasts back. We don't know because JK doesnt tell us. We can only speculate

Old January 31st, 2007, 10:42 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWeasleyJr View Post
OK i personally think that a portkey is out of the question because someone needs to set up a portkey at both ends. i.e (Ministry to and from World Cup, Pettigrew in graveyard, Moody [crouch] in Triwizard tournament). So unless an actual wizard or witch apparated onto the rock to create a portkey so Hagrid could get transported to the rock a portkey is out of the question. And someone apparating to create a portkey doesn't make much sense at all otherwise they would have gotten Harry.

Hagrid knows many of magical creatures (obviously) so there may be another means of transportation VIA animal that we havent heard of. Perhaps he hitched a ride on a water dwelling beasts back. We don't know because JK doesnt tell us. We can only speculate
portkeys don't need to be set up on both ends. Look at what DD did in OOtP: He bewitched a cauldron to take them to St. Mungos (dont have specific pages, dont have my copy with me)

As to your other point: Yes, JKR doesnt tell us and we need to speculate but, itsnt that half the fun?! :-)

Old February 1st, 2007, 1:40 am
First Year

hagrid can apparate. just before harry gets on the train to go back to the dursleys after diagon alley, he turns back to wave at hagrid (or ask him something?) but hagrid had 'vanished'. this is also mentioned when harry is remembering how people have smiled to him on the street, but when he turns around to look again, they too 'vanish'. so i think he apparated. JKR didnt introduce all the methods of wizard transport at once but she hinted at them.
anywa he said on the boat that he 'couldnt do any more magic in front of harry' (even though he does) & as you need a licence to apparate & hagrid might not have one as he was expelled, he took the boat.

& i reckon the motorbike is probably either at grimmauld place or hogwarts, but i dont think it'll come up in book 7 really.

Old February 1st, 2007, 2:33 am
Second Year

so...it's settled. he apparated. =]

as for the motorbike.. i dont really think it will be of that much significance in DH. although, as a side note, didnt harry inherit it from sirius?

Old March 4th, 2007, 3:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel08 View Post
Hagrid may have the motorcyle (I'm 100% percent sure he dose) But I don't think he used to fly to the Rock. If he did, where did it go after he rescued Harry? It can't fit in the Boat. Also how did the Dursley's get off the Rock if Hagrid and Harry stole their boat?
I think Hagrid did not use the motorcycle to get to the island. Harry heard a creak and and smack against the rocks, not the roar of the bike's engine. Also, I think Hagrid might have summoned the Dursley's boat to the harbor (Accio Boat!), rowed out to them (hence the creak and smack of the boat landing), rowed away with Harry, and then sent the boat back via magic (banishing charm). If Hagrid used a wee bit of magic to build a fire and speed the boat along, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have used a wee bit more to send the boat back to the island.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

Last edited by cincyhermione; March 5th, 2007 at 7:10 pm. Reason: typos

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives