Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Importance Of the Mirrors

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:46 am
First Year

Re: Importance Of the Mirrors

Exactly that makes it seem like it has a different use. My main theory is that it is a channel to the spirit world. But if not that then it is used somehow in conjunction with horcruxes.

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyRules View Post
I have always supported the many ideas and theories on the veil. But using the mirrors...i dunno. And which mirrors? I hope we're still not talking about the mirror given to Harry by Sirius, because Harry broke that mirror at the end of term in OotP in his dorm. And no don't suggest that he repaired it, because the book doesn't say he did, and if Jo had another purpose for them later on she would have made sure that the reparo charm was included in the book (which it isn't).
We have already seen the use of the mirror of Erised, which i think could play a major role, if included in Deathly Hallows. Think about it, a mirror that shows your true hearts desire. Isn't the downfall of LV Harry's true hearts desire now? I think so. Let me know what you think of the idea
OotP pg. 858 American Version
Quote:
Harry remained quite still for a moment, then hurled the mirror back into the trunk where it shattered.
At the beginning of HBP, it says something about there being broken quills and empty ink pots at the bottom of Harry's trunk. I personally think that it's still at the bottom of the trunk because Harry, as far as we know, hasn't cleaned out his trunk. One quick Repairo will bring it back into the story.

I also think the Mirror of Erised will come into play. The books have been said to "mirror" each other. (no pun intended )

"Give her hell from us, Peeves."
Gred and Forge Weasley.

The best/worst day of my life:
Saturday July 21, 2007
Old February 7th, 2007, 1:05 am
First Year

I believe that the mirror might give Harry a look into his own soul or detecting people with a broken or torn soul.

Old February 7th, 2007, 1:20 pm
Fifth Year

There is always the possibility that Harry's true hearts desire, as seen in the Mirror of Erised in PS, will be fulfilled in Book 7 which would be a somewhat fitting mirror image.

I agree that the mirror Sirius gave Harry is probably going to be used as some kind of method of communication between Harry and the afterworld, but i do wonder how feasible that is. I can't really think of any other alternative use.

Old February 7th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Third Year

The two way mirror that Sirius gave to Harry isnt going to descend or ascend (however you want to look at it) into the afterworld with Sirius. How is that possible. Unless of course he had it on him when he crossed the veil. But I just dont think thats evident, possible, or true. I think Harry will use them in DH, because there was such a small reference to them and Harry didnt use them yet (even though he realized he should have). My guess is that he'll use them with Ron and Hermione, or with Ginny if they decide to get back together.

Old February 7th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWeasleyJr View Post
The two way mirror that Sirius gave to Harry isnt going to descend or ascend (however you want to look at it) into the afterworld with Sirius. How is that possible. Unless of course he had it on him when he crossed the veil. But I just dont think thats evident, possible, or true. I think Harry will use them in DH, because there was such a small reference to them and Harry didnt use them yet (even though he realized he should have). My guess is that he'll use them with Ron and Hermione, or with Ginny if they decide to get back together.
Another good one. I really hadn't thought about anyone else using the mirrors. I guess I just assumed it would be Sirius and Harry. It makes sense he could use the mirror to communicate with someone else. Maybe Sirius has left his mirror somewhere so it would be found. Whether on purpose or accident.

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:30 pm
First Year

If Sirius did not bring the mirror with him through the veil what do you think happened to it?

Old February 8th, 2007, 2:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiya227 View Post
If Sirius did not bring the mirror with him through the veil what do you think happened to it?

Good question. Maybe he left it at Grimwald Place, or with one of the Order.

Old February 8th, 2007, 7:11 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Blink View Post
There is always the possibility that Harry's true hearts desire, as seen in the Mirror of Erised in PS, will be fulfilled in Book 7 which would be a somewhat fitting mirror image.

I agree that the mirror Sirius gave Harry is probably going to be used as some kind of method of communication between Harry and the afterworld, but i do wonder how feasible that is. I can't really think of any other alternative use.
Dumbledore has said that "No Spell can reawaken the dead." But that does not rule out that there are ways of the dead returning. There might be some powerful artifact that we have yet to see. If ghosts are images or imprints of the dead, then perhaps the images captured in a mirror could be even more tangible than the ghosts, and lead to a way to bring back Harry's parents.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old February 8th, 2007, 7:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Dumbledore has said that "No Spell can reawaken the dead." But that does not rule out that there are ways of the dead returning. There might be some powerful artifact that we have yet to see. If ghosts are images or imprints of the dead, then perhaps the images captured in a mirror could be even more tangible than the ghosts, and lead to a way to bring back Harry's parents.

I may be wrong on this but I think he was meaning Harry would be rejoined with his parents through his death. His hearts desire would be to be with them. He can't bring them back to life but through death he could be reunited with them.

Old February 9th, 2007, 6:31 am
First Year

I think that maybe you are right it could be a portal to the spirit world. Or maybe the mirror is communication to the spirit world on halloween because hallowed means sacred and revered or maybe on the day of the dead I'm not sure but one of these days are supposed to be when the veil between the spirit and physical worlds are weakest.

Why is it over.

Thank you CoS forums, Thank you JKR
Harry Potter Changed my life.

Help me pay for my car and also have the opportunity to get some nice stuff yourself at http://www.cashlagoon.com/?ref=69309.

Old February 9th, 2007, 9:16 pm
First Year

I see Harry as using the mirror to simply say a final goodbye to Sirius. Wouldn't that be great?

Old February 11th, 2007, 10:10 am
Second Year

I believe that the Mirror of Erised will be seen again. There was a quote in COS where Dumbledore asked Harry to not go looking for it again when it has been moved from the castle. This mirrors (no pun intended) the conversation that Mr Weasley has with Harry about Sirius Black. I don't have an exact quote, but think it is something along the lines of "Promise me you won't go looking for Black." to which Harry replies "Why would I go looking for someone that wants to kill me?" Harry at the time believed that Sirius was evil, however turned out to be good and very helpful to Harry in the end...I think this is creating a parallel between Sirius and the Mirror of Erised as Dumbledore gave us the distinct impression that it was useless to most men, indeed people wasted their life away sat by it, but we already know that it has proved useful to Harry in the past.

I also believe that Harry will use the mirror Sirius gave him. A simple reparo will do the trick in fixing it, however I have no idea who he'll communicate with using it.

I tend to have 2 theories, the first one is that he will use the mirror of erised during a time he desperately wants to talk to Sirius and will see him in the mirror. If he uses the other mirror that Sirius gave him he will be able to communicate with Sirius.

The other one is that he will use the mirrors during the war to communicate with someone else, I don't know who this is but may be Ron as they are best friends.

Slightly off topic, but on the quote that someone used relating to "no spell can reawaken the dead"...we already know that this may not be true as we have inferi walking about in the wizarding world...is it possible that what caused the inferi was a potion? If we go back to Snape's "...even stopper death" quote, that gives us the possibility that Snape brought about the inferi by creating a potion for Voldemort.

Spoil Deathly Hallows and the cute kitty gets it!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old February 12th, 2007, 3:33 am
Second Year

Since they are to help "more than you think", their usefulness is probably not obvious. It may be, since James' mirror was probably in G Hollow, Sirius had his own and Regulus', suitably marked RAB. Perhaps (crazy, I know), some sort of priori incantatum spell could reveal past conversations. Maybe James' mirror will turn up.

Old February 12th, 2007, 4:06 am
Student

JKR said that Sirius had to die to move the plot forward, it was not just a random death. So Sirius had to go beyond the veil for a reason that we will learn in the final book. Perhaps using the two way mirrors, Sirius is able to give Harry information needed to defeat Voldemort.

Another thought about mirrors....has anyone else noticed that Harry and Voldemort mirror each other, like a reflection? In some ways alike and other ways opposites. Voldemort is trying to achieve inmortality while Harry is willing to die to save the wizarding world. Voldemort has a small, splintered soul but Harry has a whole pure soul. Harry's being is full of love which is something that Voldemort does not understand and therefore dismisses. On the flip side they are both half blood wizards who were raised by muggles. Both had sad, desperate childhoods. They both considered Hogwarts their real home. Interesting to see how many mirrors will come into play in DH.

Old February 12th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglemom22 View Post

Another thought about mirrors....has anyone else noticed that Harry and Voldemort mirror each other, like a reflection? In some ways alike and other ways opposites. Voldemort is trying to achieve inmortality while Harry is willing to die to save the wizarding world. Voldemort has a small, splintered soul but Harry has a whole pure soul. Harry's being is full of love which is something that Voldemort does not understand and therefore dismisses. On the flip side they are both half blood wizards who were raised by muggles. Both had sad, desperate childhoods. They both considered Hogwarts their real home. Interesting to see how many mirrors will come into play in DH.

Yip, I noticed that. Also Snape has a very similar background to Voldemort and Harry. I think it is to show the importance of choices, and not everyone is black and white, there are people in this world that whilst not classed as good, are neither truly evil. You have three men all with a bad childhood, all half-blood, and if the description of Snape's bare and virtually abandoned home in Spinners End is anything to go by, all considered Hogwarts as their true home.

However, their choices couldn't be more different. Voldemort used his background as an excuse to be evil, and wants to "make them pay" and so did unspeakable things.

Snape, at first felt like that, and wanted to make people (in particular James) suffer, but has repented (depending on whether you believe that Snape is good or not, I personally believe he is) and has worked hard to redeem himself, but is still very much struggling with coming to terms with his past.

Harry on the other hand appears to have very little bitterness about his childhood, and the bullying he receives and has, despite similar difficult times to the other two people, decided to not become a victim, and use his terrible past to help others.

Spoil Deathly Hallows and the cute kitty gets it!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old February 13th, 2007, 1:47 am
First Year

I have noticed that JK's prose has mirror's everywhere. There are sort of 3 shades of color with one being voldemort, snape, harry. Each of them has a crummy childhood and you know how you mentioned that everyone has their own choices. It shows how wrong people can turn out to be and It's there actions not their past that sets who they are and how they can affect the future. I don't think Voldemort has any chance of redemption and even if he does he won't be forgiven. Espiecially without his vital soul he'll never learn to love another person. Did you notice that at one point harry actually felt kind of sorry for Voldemort when he learned about his childhood. Same with Snape when he saw his memory he felt sorry for him espiecially since he is seeing his dad bully him. The mirror might only be used as symbolism or maybe it is used for a deeper purpose. It can signify the veil between the spirit and conscious world. It could be anything at all. As for the veil. I personally think that the Veil is the layer between the spirit and conscious world and that on Halloween it might get thin enough that harry could contact sirius through the two way mirrors.

Why is it over.

Help me pay for my car and also have the opportunity to get some nice stuff yourself at http://www.cashlagoon.com/?ref=69309.

Last edited by haiya227; February 13th, 2007 at 1:48 am. Reason: Typographical Errors
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:03 am
First Year

1. mirror of erised = after i read this for the nth time, i realized its importance. it reflects voldie's weakness and harry's strength - love. this is how voldie will die. i have posted my theories in some of the threads.

2. mirror of sirius = what if sirius and james were talking to each other right before voldie entered their house? maybe it has a record of what had transpired that night?

Old February 14th, 2007, 2:04 am
First Year

Mirror of erised - shows true hearts desire
Harry - needs to destroy LV, therefore destroy LV's horcruxes
i believe that harry will at some point get desperate enough to use the mirror of erised to locate the horcruxes, and furthermore if he can do that then what stops him from using the mirror to show him how to destroy the horcruxes, if he makes it his hearts desire. I can see the mirror of erised very useful, but the mirrors sirius gave harry...besides the one not being repaired and other not accounted for at the moment, i don't see how they can be of any use. Don't get me wrong i love the veil theories, and i think we can all assume that the veil will play a part in the final book, but i don't think that the mirrors and the veil have any relevance with each other.

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:52 am
First Year

Does anyone know any myths about mirrors beyond the common ones like if you break a mirror you get 7 years of bad luck.

And if anyone notices anything repeating about the mirrors or any coincidental numbers and things that appear like 7 years of bad luck and 7 horcruxes?

Good Luck!

Why is it over.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies