Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

Old February 4th, 2007, 11:34 am
Third Year

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

When reading the early books, 1-4 i did think it unlikely that Harry would ever live past book 7, how he would cope with his life after all this trauma? I couldn't see where the character could go. However book 5 changed that with the help of Harry teaching DADA. I can imagine when JK plots her books she decided to have a different teacher each year for DADA, while in fact Hary was better at the subject than most of his teachers. He was certainly better than Umbridge and perhaps even Snape. I can see the books ending with Harry being given the job of DADA professor. now i know someone has asked JK this question in one of her interviews and she said Harry was no academic, but DADA is more of a practical subject than an academic one. It would also have a bit of poetic justice if Harry became DADA. Another example is that Harry wanted to be part of the ministry, but recent events have made him think differently, so he ould want a job elsewhere, so where better than Hogwarts, the place he loves as his home. And Harry has stayed at the Privet Drive and Grimmauld place, but his only true home is Hogwarts though he does love the burrow.

My second reason why I think Harry will survive is Ginny. JK has built up their love story since the first book, why would she go through all this trouble just to rip them apart in book 7? If they were still together at the end of book 6 then i could see Harry dying, this would have given a bigger shock ending, but because they split up I can see them staying together after book 7. There's hope between them.

I know 2 characters are reported to die in book 7, but how major they are remains to be seem, and anyway they could be major bad characters.

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2007, 8:45 pm
First Year

I really don't think that Harry will live at the end of deathly hallows, much to my dismay. It just seems like something JkR would do.

Old February 5th, 2007, 6:05 am
Student

" Soledad O'Brien: I'm going to pose the final question to you and I'd like all three of you to take a stab at it. You can do it in any order that you would like. If you were to have dinner with any five characters from any of your books -- take a moment to think about it -- who would you invite, and why would they be on your list? Any order.

JK Rowling: Well I'd take Harry, to apologize to him (crowd laughs). Um, I'd have to take Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Stephen King: Sure.

JK Rowling: I would - this is - (crown shouts suggestions).

Stephen King: Hagrid, take Hagrid.

JK Rowling: See, I know who's actually dead.

Stephen King: Pretend you can take them anyways.

JK Rowling: Pretend I can take anyone? Well then I would definitely take Dumbledore. I'd take Dumbledore, Harry, Ron, Hermione...and.. (crowd shouts characters) um, Hagrid. I'd take Hagrid, yeah. And Owen because he wouldn't take up much space (crowd laughs). " An Evening with Harry, Carrie and Garp:
Readings and questions #2, August 2, 2006
The trio will live. Harry is not going to die. Mayhap he might come close. But, Harry is not going to die.

Old February 5th, 2007, 6:29 am
Sixth Year

^ I don't think this proves that Harry won't die. I think it proves that he's the main character who springs to mind everytime she's asked that question Why do I keep italicizing "proves" in my head, making it sound super obnoxious and not-at-all-how-I-intended-it? We may never know. Did I mention it's 6am?

But seriously, I confess that when I saw that, I was irritated the MN hadn't put spoiler warnings near it - because I felt kind of spoiled, you know? But now I have had time to regroup and convince myself of my own delusions all over again Though I stick by the idea that she chose them straight off because hey - they're her main characters, and it would look odd if she didn't. And when I say stick, I mean, "won't be annoyed if Harry lives, either."

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old February 5th, 2007, 7:34 am
First Year

Asking will Harry die in DH?

Thats like asking will you get hit by a bus tomorrow?

We dont know! and any amount of guess work and analysing isnt going to make this topic an clearer or sway the answer towards a yes or no.

Obviously, there are excellent arguements for both, the favourite arguemnt i have found for Harry dying is: "JK will kill Harry to prevent any spin off's..."

Okay...i know what i just said (about that there is NO possible way to analyse this situation) but there is somthing that i have to say about this particular arguement. Which is as follows:

I dont see JK deciding to change the outcome of her whole series just to make sure a few nerds dont try and get the rights to publish some spin off's. If JK has it planned for Harry to die, then Harry's gonna die!
Besides, even if Harry does die, do you really think its going to prevent spinoffs? its easy to see from mugglenet fanfiction that adequet stroy lines can be written without Harry, or at least without Harry as a central character.

"Dreams are hopeless aspirations, in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up to me and you"

~ Lisa Lopes
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:16 am
First Year

I really don't want Harry to die, but I think he will. I don't think Harry Potter is a completely happy ending sort of series. And when people say that if Harry dies it will contradict the theme that good always wins, good can still win, but consequences may also come with the victory. Harry's death could be one of those consequences. Trust me I would love it if Harry and Hermione (no I don't like the idea of Harry and Ginny, she seems to childish. And she irritates me.) could live happily ever after, but I highly doubt that will be the case. I just don't think that's JKR writing style.

Old February 5th, 2007, 12:19 pm
First Year

I personally hope he does die.
I think it would be harder for me to part with the 'Harry potter' series if I knew there was a Happy ending because.. well he'd still be alive and there would be more stories that could go on but wouldn't..

- But if he was killed off, I think it would make parting easier.
Thats just how I feel anyway.

Old February 5th, 2007, 3:27 pm
Sixth Year

Krystalus, are you saying that a live Harry would ruin the story for you?!?!?!

Personally, I think it's one of Rowling's famous Herrings a la Rouge, this notion that someone would 'steal' Potter and continue stories with him, like the 'Star Wars' stuff. After all, Star Wars started off as the movie and the books were a lower-order spinoff. The Potter books have always been the prime source, and anyone trying to shove out a 'Harry Potter' book whose name is not J.K. Rowling would have a very hard task indeed. Also, a dead Harry Potter would not prevent someone from writing stories about him. I myself could see a 'prequel' Potter, say the Life of Harry Potter circa 6 years old, or an interregnum Potter wedged in between the books.

A living hero is not going to be copied, necessarily. No one seriously tried to write a Sherlock Holmes story, for example, for decades after Doyle finished the series. So far as I know, the 'Tarzan' series left the King of the Apes alive and well, and no one tried to riff on Burroughs. Shoot, we could go all the way back to Beowulf if memory serves, and no one else has done a story using him. If the hero is sufficiently great, he is not cloned, at least while the original author lives.

And the living hero is not too schmaltzy. Look at Sam Gamgee at the end of Lord of the Rings, or anyone in Roger Zelazny's 'Amber' families, or Dashiell Hammet's ace detective Sam Spade, or just about any of Tolstoy's heroes and heroines. Just because the hero gets to keep breathing, does not demote him to a Teletubby.

Old February 5th, 2007, 5:02 pm
Third Year

its definately possible that Harry dies but I dont want to even think about it because it makes me insane... I want Book 8 to be released on 08/08/08

Old February 5th, 2007, 5:45 pm
Second Year

I've been on the fence about Harry dying but I've made up my mind tonight. I think he'll die.

Voldemort will somehow force Harry in to sacrificing himself for what he loves the most, Hogwarts, his friends and Ginny, and thus protecting them from Voldemort through his love, much in the same way as his parents protected him from Voldemort through their love.

Love is the thread that runs through the books, love is the strongest and most ancient magic, and the only thing that, in the end, can defeat Voldemort.

Harry will die protecting what he loves the most so that it can stay the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
Krystalus, are you saying that a live Harry would ruin the story for you?!?!?!

Personally, I think it's one of Rowling's famous Herrings a la Rouge, this notion that someone would 'steal' Potter and continue stories with him, like the 'Star Wars' stuff. After all, Star Wars started off as the movie and the books were a lower-order spinoff. The Potter books have always been the prime source, and anyone trying to shove out a 'Harry Potter' book whose name is not J.K. Rowling would have a very hard task indeed. Also, a dead Harry Potter would not prevent someone from writing stories about him. I myself could see a 'prequel' Potter, say the Life of Harry Potter circa 6 years old, or an interregnum Potter wedged in between the books.

A living hero is not going to be copied, necessarily. No one seriously tried to write a Sherlock Holmes story, for example, for decades after Doyle finished the series. So far as I know, the 'Tarzan' series left the King of the Apes alive and well, and no one tried to riff on Burroughs. Shoot, we could go all the way back to Beowulf if memory serves, and no one else has done a story using him. If the hero is sufficiently great, he is not cloned, at least while the original author lives.

And the living hero is not too schmaltzy. Look at Sam Gamgee at the end of Lord of the Rings, or anyone in Roger Zelazny's 'Amber' families, or Dashiell Hammet's ace detective Sam Spade, or just about any of Tolstoy's heroes and heroines. Just because the hero gets to keep breathing, does not demote him to a Teletubby.
I think what Krystalus means that if Harry lives he will continue to have stories and adventures in his life that we won't know about because JKR won't write them.

Old February 5th, 2007, 7:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
OK, part 2. A LOT of people have sacrificed to keep Harry safe and alive. Do the deaths of his parents, Cedric [yes, I know Cedric wanted to live, but remember what he and Frank said in Goblet of Fire when Harry had the showdown with Voldemort], numerous members of the Order, indirectly Sirius and Albus Dumbledore make sense in the end if all they did was let Harry die later? I don't see changing 'The Boy Who Lived' into 'The Young Man Who Died Anyway' as a satisfying plot.
Okay, now that's the funniest thing I've read all week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daelin
And finally, the title. "Deathly Hallows". Ahhhhhhhhhh, there's a carefully chosen phrase.

"Deathly". NOT "Deadly", not "Dead", but "Deathly", as in contact with Death, but not dying himself. It implies help from the dead, as we saw foreshadowed in 'Goblet of Fire', and it reminds me of what Voldemort fears most. Since Voldy fears death, there is no way he can access help from the other side, and I doubt he's got a lot of friends there anyway.

And "Hallows". As in to make holy, but more important, Hallows, not Hallows' <i>Eve</i>, which is Halloween, but Hallows, as in the next day. The title clearly implies that Harry will be finished with the events and enemy of Halloween, Voldemort who killed his parents, and will be able to move on, to the 'next day' and on with his life.
I like this. The titles are pretty literal in what the main overarching plots of the books are or at least heavily entail. So Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows kinda reads like Harry Potter and the Day After. However this may just refer to the epilogue in general and things being wrapped up.

Old February 5th, 2007, 7:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
After all, Star Wars started off as the movie and the books were a lower-order spinoff.

First, I was always told that the 'Star Wars' books came first, they just weren't very good, and there are the prequels because the were the first three books but when someone thought they would make a good film, they decided book 4 was much better than book 1...

I agree that living heroes can be fine, letting them survive the end can almost give a point to everything, if you know what I mean. Of course, it is usually happy for everyone else, but it feels a bit like "this character did all that for everyone, and then they don't live to see the results, when they should benefit the most!" if the hero/heroine dies.

I agree about the title suggesting moving on - to me it seems to suggest "going back to the beginning so we can leave this all behind".

Last edited by witch1561; February 5th, 2007 at 7:49 pm.
Old February 5th, 2007, 8:01 pm
Sixth Year

Witch1561, as I recall - the advantage of being 17 when the first Star Wars movie came out - the movie came out in 1977, based on a screenplay Lucas proposed after the success of 'American Graffiti'. He had written the synopsis for each of 9 stories, but had to sell the producers on a space action film, which focused on Luke Skywalker. The other stories were basically 'backstory', not very different from what Rowling did to give depth to her characters. The retail books started coming out about 1980, after the success of 'Empire', when it was obvious that the series was a smash hit and TCF was talking about making 9 Star Wars movies. So the books were a later spin-off of the movies, and since Lucas never released the screenplays (the last 3 are still in his possession), the books were fan-fic, sold at conventions and over the Internet.

In Rowling's case, the books were the primary source, and so are less likely to see a copycat.

Old February 6th, 2007, 6:12 am
Second Year

well the way she has a flare for drammatics.. i think she will kill harry.. she has killed all the nice strong characters already.. plus no matter how secret she keeps the story.. some people know SOME DETAILS... the fact that they are making a helpline and mentioned in the next line that it is required to help cope the deaths of 2 people NOT to help people cope with the end of the series.i have a very strong feeling that harry will be killed. she has given us alotttt of hints.she does have tendencies to throw us off the mark.. but usually strong hints are usually right.. like the couples.. it was always ginny and harry.lupin and harry will die.. PLUS i almost forgot.. she has introduced the idea of death not being a bad thing in the wizard world.. and harry has already said that i wll take as many as i can with me.. i found that to be a HUGGGEEE sign.. harry isnt afraid of death.

Old February 6th, 2007, 6:48 am
Banned

'Witch1561, as I recall - the advantage of being 17 when the first Star Wars movie came out - the movie came out in 1977, based on a screenplay Lucas proposed after the success of 'American Graffiti'. He had written the synopsis for each of 9 stories, but had to sell the producers on a space action film, which focused on Luke Skywalker. The other stories were basically 'backstory', not very different from what Rowling did to give depth to her characters. The retail books started coming out about 1980, after the success of 'Empire', when it was obvious that the series was a smash hit and TCF was talking about making 9 Star Wars movies.'

No, see your right to a point but the very first Star Wars book came out in December 1976. It was a novelization of the film, ghost written by Alan Dean Foster, but credited to George Lucas based off of his screenplay for the film.

Then there was a spin-off novel for Star Wars that came out in 1978, called 'Splinter of the Minds Eye' by Alan Dean Foster as well. The rumor is, if SW wasen't successful, Lucas would turn that novel into the sequal, thats why most of it takes place on a foggy planet, to secure a lower budget.

Then there were toher spin-off likes the Han Solo adventures and Lando Calrissan adventures which came out in 1979-1980.

So there were SW spinoffs way before 1980.

Anyway, it'd be pretty fitting if history repeats itself and after destryoing all the Hrorcruxes, Harry stands weakened and defeated before Voldemort, who kindly asks him to stand aside so he could kill Ginny and Harry refuses. Voldemort kills Harry, tries to kill Ginny but once again the curse backfires but this time truly destroys him since the horcruxes are gone, thus love saves the day in the end as in the begining, and Harry having his mother in him pays off..

Just an idea. I dunno.

Old February 6th, 2007, 1:34 pm
First Year

It's just one of those things i dont think were ever going to guess. if he dies i might have a breakdown so i hope he lives, he deserves to. Is Rowling really evil enough to kill him?

"Ive never said it before because i'm too nice, but your son has the cold dead eyes of a killer"
Old February 6th, 2007, 4:57 pm
Third Year

I can see reasoning for both sides.

Reasons JKR might let Harry live:
1. He's HARRY, for the love of pumpkin juice!
2. It is supposedly a children's book series - why upset the kiddies?
3. Everyone, no matter how rich they are, likes to make more money. Though she says she'll never write any more HP books, if she lets Harry live, then she leaves the option open just in case...
4. A dead hero? Boooo!

Reasons JKR might kill off Harry:
1. No more Harry, supposedly no one can bug her to write more HP books (but of course, they will anyway)
2. To show that Harry is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.
3. It's her show, and if she started a "children's book series" with a baby's parents getting murdered, what wouldn't she do, really? People and creatures have been brutally murdered throughout the series, so why would Harry be exempt?

Personally, I hope Harry lives. It took me so long to get over Dumbledore's "death" (?) that if Harry dies, I don't think I can be held responsible. I will call in sick to work for at least a week. No kidding. I may have to change my name and move to another country. I just don't know if I can take it.

Old February 6th, 2007, 5:48 pm
Mrs Grawp

Well, I think most of you have seen already JKR update on her webpage, Diary section.

Jkrowling.com update feb6th extractWhile each of the previous Potter books has strong claims on my affections, 'Deathly Hallows' is my favourite, and that is the most wonderful way to finish the series.

She likes Harry, and if she says that it's a wonderful way to finish the serie, I have the feeling that he will survive.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old February 6th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Well, I think most of you have seen already JKR update on her webpage, Diary section.

Jkrowling.com update feb6th extractWhile each of the previous Potter books has strong claims on my affections, 'Deathly Hallows' is my favourite, and that is the most wonderful way to finish the series.

She likes Harry, and if she says that it's a wonderful way to finish the serie, I have the feeling that he will survive.

???!!!! u think that when she says its" the end of harrys story" it means harry wil survive..??? she couldve said end of harrypotter series.. she said end of harrys story..HE IS DEAD.. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. SHE KILLED HIM.. she actualy killed him. im sure of it.. she is mourning cause she kiled him.she has a flare for drammatics.im having a break down.

Old February 6th, 2007, 6:23 pm
Third Year

How many seconds must tick by until July 21st? They are surely the slowest seconds in the history of mankind....

TICK....

TICK.....

TICK.....

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies