Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

Old February 6th, 2007, 6:56 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

Here's the full text from JKR:

"FEBRUARY 6th

Charles Dickens put it better than I ever could:

'It would concern the reader little, perhaps, to know how sorrowfully the pen is laid down at the close of a two-years' imaginative task; or how an Author feels as if he were dismissing some portion of himself into the shadowy world, when a crowd of the creatures of his brain are going from him for ever.'

To which I can only sigh, try seventeen years, Charles...

I always knew that Harry's story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be. Even while I'm mourning, though, I feel an incredible sense of achievement. I can hardly believe that I've finally written the ending I've been planning for so many years. I've never felt such a mixture of extreme emotions in my life, never dreamed I could feel simultaneously heartbroken and euphoric.

Some of you have expressed a (much more muted!) mixture of happiness and sadness at the prospect of the last book being published, and that has meant more than I can tell you. If it comes as any consolation, I think that there will be plenty to continue arguing and speculating about, even after 'Deathly Hallows' comes out. So if you're not yet ready to quit the message boards, do not despair...

I'm almost scared to admit this, but one thing has stopped me collapsing in a puddle of misery on the floor. While each of the previous Potter books has strong claims on my affections, 'Deathly Hallows' is my favourite, and that is the most wonderful way to finish the series."

You can read that a lot of different ways ...

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Third Year

Oh, I think you have to try super extra special chocolately hard to dig clues out of that diary entry. If she really is holding herself to seven books, Deathly Hallows will be the end of Harry's story whether he lives or dies. And closing out this series, 17 years of her life, is easily enough to make someone emotional regardless of the fates of any of the individual characters.

Old February 6th, 2007, 8:11 pm
Sixth Year

Using the word "euphoric" seems telling ...

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Second Year

No I don't think he will. But if he was to die, it will be to sacrifice himself for the Wizarding World and thefore he will be reunited with everyone he loves, who has died. I hope this doesn't happen though - and I am almost certain this will not happen though. When Jo came up with the idea of Harry Potter on the train, did she think, "I'm going to write a book about a young boy who has a horrible childhood, no mum and dad, goes to Hogwarts, goes through each year trying to dodge Voldemort, fights a dragon amongst other things, learns he has to kill Voldemort - only for him to die in the end" I really don't think thats how it will work. I think there will be a huge twist at the end, I think there will be a loophole, that being Voldemort taking Harry's blood in GoF for him to rebulid his body, he no longer has Slytherin blood now, does he? I think this will weaken him, and he will be defeated.

There are somethings you can't share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

Old February 7th, 2007, 5:15 am
Third Year

On the first page of this thread, Strider {and some numbers- sorry, don't remember!} posted a list of very compelling reasons why Harry won't die and I tend to agree with those. However, having said this, my first impression reading what Jo said today about ending the book, was that she was describing killing off her hero. She used some telling words, like "mourning", and "a puddle of misery". I know that the end of the series itself could explain such intense feelings but my gut reaction was " oh ****- Harry's a goner!"

JOHN 5:24
Proud owner of EXCEEDS EXPECTATION in WOMBAT#2
Quote: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Albus Dumbledore

People who have not been in Narnia sometimes think that a thing cannot be good and terrible at the same time.

The giant squid's favorite snack is folks who spoil!
Join the ASAtoday and help preventspoilers!.
Old February 7th, 2007, 5:15 am
Second Year

I think I've always known deep down that Harry would die at the end even though I didn't want it to happen, but that bit 'I always knew that Harry's story would end with the seventh book' bit in her diary entry just makes me think that it will definitely happen. Seventeen years of writing are over, as are seventeen years of misery for Harry. Wonder how she's going to finish him off!

Last edited by squibpott; February 7th, 2007 at 5:21 am.
Old February 7th, 2007, 5:24 am
Second Year

end of harrys story. means the end of harrys story... it means tehre is no story.. cause thee is no harry.end of series means the end of series.not the end of anyone really.
it could include harrys death or not.
but end of harrys story and the words she has written to describe what she feels because it has ended pretty much describes what she would feel if she killed harry in a heroic way.. a death fit for a hero..
im feeling even worse now.she has killed him people.all signs do point to it.she doesnt really mislead us that much. its only our denial that makes us go around in circles.. like harry and ginny couple or the harry and hermy one.. it was pretty clear it was harry and ginny.
he is going to die.. he left ginny cause he didnt want her in trouble,, cause he was ready to die.to finish the work and take as many deatheaters as he could with him.. he said that to dumbledore in the broom closet.

Old February 7th, 2007, 5:59 am
Sixth Year

Okay, as much as I'm of the belief that Harry may die, I don't think Jo's diary update proves that in any way. The books have always been Harry's story, no matter how many other characters there are involved. So the end of the books are the end of his story, because Jo will no longer be writing him, whether he lives or not.

The use of the word "mourning" was also, IMO, purely about the end of a huge and life-changing chapter of her life, and not really an indication that Harry will die. You can mourn an ending, with or without someone's actual death.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old February 7th, 2007, 8:16 am
Second Year

I've somehow got the feeling that Harry has to sacrifice himself in order to kill Voldemort. Voldemort just seems way too powerful and evil that Harry can kill him and make a full recovery just like that, regardless how Harry will kill him. It's a similar situation to something that happened in the Japanese anime "Naruto". In order to defeat Kyuubi (the most powerful being in the Naruto universe) and ensure the safety of his village, its head (the Fourth Hokage) sacrificed himself. I don't think the price Harry and the wizarding world will have to pay for Voldemort's death will only be the lives of some of Harry's friends amongst many other wizards and witches, but perhaps also his own life.

If his scar indeed is a Horcrux and I believe it is, I doubt he will survive the final fight will Voldemort. If Harry indeed sacrificed himself and got rid of the final Horcrux this way, there would be not a chance in the world Voldemort would survive this. It's just not possible that Harry dies and Voldemort lives on. The prophecy said that neither can live while the other survives, but it didn't say that one of them would definitely survive. Sacrificing himself to defeat the evil forces and safe the wizarding world would be an extremely heroic and noble thing to do. I also don't think that Harry could live on happily after having gotten his revenge, but this also depends on whether his closest friends survive. Death also doesn't seem like the completely wrong destiny for Harry, he would be reunited with his parents and Sirius again (as he thought in the MoM when Voldemort possessed him). I really hope he doesn't die, but I think his death might be necessary to defeat Voldemort. That's not exactly what we want a happy ending to look like though, is it?

Old February 7th, 2007, 8:48 am
Second Year

Its too hard to tell. I really really really Really dont want him to die. But sometimes I think he will. Everyone has really good reasoning. My history teacher made the suggestion that when Harry kills Voldemort (inevitable, it cant be denied) he could create a Horcrux so that if he gets killed in the process he cant really die... If that makes any sense. I was surprised by this (didnt expect my teacher to be that into it). I thought it was pretty good until I got to thinking that creating a Horcrux is really hard and quite evil. Evil because killing people is wrong.. So I dont know. I thought it was a really interesting theory.

Its good to hope that Harry will live but it can be hard to believe that he could survive the hardhsips his been through.. But I guess thats what makes Harry special

Lord Montymort
Old February 7th, 2007, 9:29 am
Zonko's Employee

I'm gonna say that Harry will survive, based only on the fact that the last word is said to be "scar". If harry dies, I think it's unlikely that this will be the last word, not unless the last sentence is something like, "...their late friend who had the scar" and I don't see that as Jo's style.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old February 7th, 2007, 9:34 am
First Year

I can't see it to be honest. I mean a whole series of books whose main character is in each title and then dies at the end; what a real gutter!

I would have to quote Jonny Rotten from the Sex pistols then, 'Ever feel you've been cheated?'

Old February 7th, 2007, 9:45 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash View Post
???!!!! u think that when she says its" the end of harrys story" it means harry wil survive..??? she couldve said end of harrypotter series.. she said end of harrys story..
I meant that she said about the ending that is a wonderful way to end the story, and as Harry is one of her favourite characters, I sort of feel that he will survive. If he died, maybe it wouldn't be that wonderful. It's only my feeling anyway, but I don't think that Harrys death would qualify as a 'wonderful ending'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR
I always knew that Harry's story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be. Even while I'm mourning, though, I feel an incredible sense of achievement. I can hardly believe that I've finally written the ending I've been planning for so many years.
Regarding this, she is mourning the story, not necessarily Harry. It means that her saga is over, that no sequels will come and a work that lasted for nearly 2 decades is achieved. I think a story can become very important to an author, and of course she feels strange when it's finished. IMO it doesn't mean that Harry dies.
Besides, if he would die, she wouldn't have written this of fear of revealing too much.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!

Last edited by guad; February 7th, 2007 at 9:50 am.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:27 am
Fourth Year

I think he will.

I think the prophecy part "one must die at the hand of the other" can be seen as Harry defeats LV or vice versa, but it's the "neither can survive while the other lives" part that has me thinking they will both die. Throughout the books we have seen how they're like yin and yang, opposites in that one was filled with love and the other is completely void of it. So wouldn't it make sense for the peace in wizarding world that they cancel each other out in the end ?

Second, I still think Harry's scar may include a piece of LV's soul, so even if he defeats him a part of him is still in Harry. "But in essence divided?" like DD said in OOTP.

I think Harry laying down his life to defeat LV would be a fitting end to the story. Also consider no one can write a sequel later and JK wouldn't be bothered by the readers to write any more HP books (she did say she didn't ever plan anything beyond book 7 and that there will be no adult Harry books).

Last but not least, Harry has to track down the horcruxes, and neutralise them, before even facing LV. Now DD took care of one of them and it claimed his life (I do believe the potion was killing him before the AK). Even with Hermione and Ron at his side, can we see a 17 yr old wizard taking on the strongest evil wizard and getting out of it alive?

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:46 am
Fifth Year

i think she is mourning the end of a very large part of her life, not for harry himself. she could also be mourning the lives of the others that have died in the book.

i personally think that killing harry would be similar to jrr tolkien throwing frodo into mount doom

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:53 am
Fifth Year

I'm not sure at all. The Mirror of Erised still plays on my mind when I think of this debate. Being with his family is his hearts desire and maybe in the end, that is what will be fulfilled. I am pretty certain Voldermort will be defeated but I just get an awful feeling Harry will be killed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
I'm gonna say that Harry will survive, based only on the fact that the last word is said to be "scar". If harry dies, I think it's unlikely that this will be the last word, not unless the last sentence is something like, "...their late friend who had the scar" and I don't see that as Jo's style.
That's a good point. Hmm.

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:31 pm
Second Year

her exact words"I always knew that Harry's story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be."
harrys story...? its doesnt make sense.. see the sentence construction. she didnt say i always knew the series would end with the 7th book.. she is great at mincing words. she has killed him.

Old February 7th, 2007, 2:55 pm
Sixth Year

Sorry no, don't see it from the 2/6/7 diary note.

JKR also says she's "euphoric" and that the ending was a "wonderful way to finish the series".

Those are not the words I would expect from Jo if she just whacked Harry.

Old February 7th, 2007, 3:19 pm
Second Year

I know for the people who say Harry will die, and that he reward will be to join his parents and Sirius and dumbledore. But I don't know if its been mentioned but Harry best and long lasting quality is his courage and it will take real courage to live and move on from on the death and ugliness that has happened to him, and I think JKR knows that, so I think Harry will live.

Hufflepuff: We kill you with smiles and rainbows.
The Pottermore Battalion -- Unicorn Army Corp.

Pottermore Sigs Here
Old February 7th, 2007, 3:20 pm
Sixth Year

Living is not always the easy choice, though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies