Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Book Seven: Who Will Live and Who Will Die? v4

Old February 11th, 2007, 7:32 am
First Year

Re: Book Seven: Who Will Live and Who Will Die? v4

[quote=seamus_fan;4341959]I think Hedwigs done for...sad but true. /QUOTE]

OMG! That's great! I apologize if you're serious, but reading that made me laugh out loud.

And now to jump on the bandwagon:

A legitimate point to make, though. With the exception of Scabbers (aka Wormtail, aka Pettigrew) there has been no harm to any of the animals, has there? And they are all most definitely "characters." I mean, Fawkes just flew off. Nothing bad happened to him and Errol's still alive, right?

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalmysteryg View Post
actually, i thought dumbledore's death was incredibly obvious. He was harry's biggest protector, and harry needed to learn to stand up on his own.

and JKR did say she had an epiphany on the train in which many characters and plot lines came to her.
I have to say it hit me completely unexpected. From a narrative point of view, it was necessary that Dumbledore died, and I understood that immediately, but I didn´t really see it coming. There have not really been much hints at it, except perhaps Harry and others noting that Dumbledore seemed to weaken over the year.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old February 11th, 2007, 3:40 pm
Second Year

I must say that the death of Dumbledore was one that I both expected and also took me by surprise, if that makes any sense at all. I mean, yes Harry had to face LV alone at the end of the seventh book, which means Dumbledore had to die, but for some reason I always expected it to happen in the seventh book, so that's why I was surprised.

As for Neville dying, isn't he supposed to become a teacher or something? That would kind of rule him out - and also indicate that Professor Sprout could die.

Old February 11th, 2007, 5:23 pm
First Year

Yes. Yes yes yes. Dumbledore dying was...I dunno...I forgone conclusion for me, 'cause things were getting darker and darker, (Sirius, Umbridge, etc.) but I didn't think that Snape would be the one to kill him...

Old February 11th, 2007, 5:44 pm
Second Year

Harry - Wouldn't that be something, if he died during the last battle against Voldemort? After all he has been through, one would think his soul or mind is damaged, he has been hit by more curses than anyone else we have read about, with the exception of mrs and mr Longbottom. I think it would be somewhat a tragic ending with Harry finally joining his parents and Sirius and finally finding peace.

Ginny/Ron/Hermione - If they follow him on the hunt of the Horcruxes, and meets up with Death Eaters, then they're at great risk. In HBP, Ginny said to Harry that she believed they would all be dead if not for the Felix Felicis potion. And while it would be sad to lose one, two or three of them, I find it more realistic than the fact that the four of them will go up against LV and survive while everyone else (Dumbledore, Snape, Sirius, Malfoy, Percy, Lupin, Tonks) would be killed.

Snape - His situation is something similar to Harrys. If he's evil, then he will have to either die, escape justice or get imprisoned. If he's good, then he's probably going to oppose LV sooner or later, and given the unlikely chance that he survives that meeting, what is left for him to do in the world?

Molly or Arthur Weasley - The deaths of these two would cause alot of shock, I think. But if any Weasleys are to go, I would count on these two. If Percy is killed, that would to me, be the easy way out, at least for us, not the characters in the book. If a Weasley are to die, which I, and I hope this is not unappropriate, actually would find this more realistic rather than all of them standing on Dumbledores side for seven books without losing any members. I believe I read somewhere that Molly have lost some siblings, or cousins, but if I remember right, they were not Weasleys.

Lupin or Tonks - I hope not, but it's likely. Don't know why, but it is. I have a great fear that many side characters is in the line of risk while the main ones succeds to survive due to the others sacrifice. If Lupin and Tonks dies, I know I will put down the book and not read for a while. They are the most unlikely couple ever, and I never had a clue. That's why I want them to make it to the end, and beyond it.

Draco - He's in a bit of trouble, is he not? No matter which side he is on, Voldemort might kill him, or have someone torture him for his failure to kill Dumbledore. He's walking on a thin line, this one, and he would probably need Harrys help to get out of it.

Last edited by Lord_Kaine; February 11th, 2007 at 7:08 pm. Reason: Bad spelling.
Old February 11th, 2007, 7:00 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

At the complete risk of sounding like a whining toddler...does anyone besides me think a Dursley might bite the dust?

Seamus fan...good one about Hedwig!

Old February 12th, 2007, 1:19 am
Sixth Year

They'd better not touch Dobby!

And drill sergeants do not hug.
Old February 12th, 2007, 1:24 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottriplets View Post
At the complete risk of sounding like a whining toddler...does anyone besides me think a Dursley might bite the dust?
I really don't think that would happen. I can see maybe an attack at the Dursley's house but Vernon would offer up Harry instantly. Maybe Petunia would sacrifice herself, but I seriously doubt it. Plus, why would Voldemort want them dead?

Old February 12th, 2007, 2:11 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kaine View Post
Harry - Wouldn't that be something, if he died during the last battle against Voldemort? After all he has been through, one would think his soul or mind is damaged, he has been hit by more curses than anyone else we have read about, with the exception of mrs and mr Longbottom. I think it would be somewhat a tragic ending with Harry finally joining his parents and Sirius and finally finding peace.
Indeed, it would be a very tragic end to the series, but do you really find that it might happen? You haven't really stated this here. It is always possible that the best way for Mrs. Rowling to end the series would be to give Harry what he originally wanted in the begining of the series but that wouldn't fit into Harry's heroic achetype. There is also the point of the reason behind the series. Harry has to avenge his parents and sirius' death by killing Voldemort and freeing the wizarding world from the fear they that they have for so long... Then you must also factor in the fact that Harry Potter isn't a tragedy. I think it is unlikely that Harry will die.
Quote:
Ginny/Ron/Hermione - If they follow him on the hunt of the Horcruxes, and meets up with Death Eaters, then they're at great risk. In HBP, Ginny said to Harry that she believed they would all be dead if not for the Felix Felicis potion. And while it would be sad to lose one, two or three of them, I find it more realistic than the fact that the four of them will go up against LV and survive while everyone else (Dumbledore, Snape, Sirius, Malfoy, Percy, Lupin, Tonks) would be killed.
Harry can't have everything he wants to have, that's why he can't die because it would be to easy of an answer. Hermione and Ron are, of course, at the front of the line for the casualties because they are promised friends of Harry's and will probably go with him til the end of his quest. I give them fifty fifty odds. Then there is darling little Ginny. I'm not too sure what to do with her character after the developments of her relationship with Harry in HBP. She has always been at a risk to die, maybe Chamber of Secrets will forshadow her fate?
Quote:
Snape - His situation is something similar to Harrys. If he's evil, then he will have to either die, escape justice or get imprisoned. If he's good, then he's probably going to oppose LV sooner or later, and given the unlikely chance that he survives that meeting, what is left for him to do in the world?
Snape, I feel, took his stance in HBP. I feel that he is going to die or get the reprive and that he doesn't really have any other options. At time Snape is more of the bad guy than our dear Voldy...but then again that is nothing more than a matter of opinion. I feel that Snape is an established enemy to Harry and there he'll be in the "final battle"-- maybe the final battle after a big battle against Voldemort.....Harry takes on both of them?

Quote:
Molly or Arthur Weasley - The deaths of these two would cause alot of shock, I think. But if any Weasleys are to go, I would count on these two. If Percy is killed, that would to me, be the easy way out, at least for us, not the characters in the book. If a Weasley are to die, which I, and I hope this is not unappropriate, actually would find this more realistic rather than all of them standing on Dumbledores side for seven books without losing any members. I believe I read somewhere that Molly have lost some siblings, or cousins, but if I remember right, they were not Weasleys.
You talk about Percy here. What if he gets the reprieve in the fashion that he finally goes to his family to ask for forgiveness and is welcomed back in? I mean that isn't too far stretched or out there, right? Anyways he does that because two members of the Weasley family die. My bet would be on Arthur and one of the twins...but I don't think that the Weasly kids are going to be so easily rid of the overcaring mother.
Quote:
Lupin or Tonks - I hope not, but it's likely. Don't know why, but it is. I have a great fear that many side characters is in the line of risk while the main ones succeds to survive due to the others sacrifice. If Lupin and Tonks dies, I know I will put down the book and not read for a while. They are the most unlikely couple ever, and I never had a clue. That's why I want them to make it to the end, and beyond it.
I like their relationship, but I think that Lupin is going to die by the end of the series because it would really put an end to the Mauraders if both him and Wormtail die. With the last of the Mauraders gone and then Snape dies it would close that whole backstory nicely and make way for a new generation (harry, ron, hermione, twins, ect...) to jump into the wizarding world and take it by surprize in the aftermath.
Quote:
Draco - He's in a bit of trouble, is he not? No matter which side he is on, Voldemort might kill him, or have someone torture him for his failure to kill Dumbledore. He's walking on a thin line, this one, and he would probably need Harrys help to get out of it.
Rowling kind of gave us the impression that Draco was dieing by his frail appearance in HBP. I think that Draco is going to be one of the fiirst casualties of the next book and that Harry is going to feel pitty for him, and ultimatly forgive the boy for all the wrechedness he showed him at school.

Old February 12th, 2007, 3:21 am
Second Year

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus_fan View Post
I think Hedwigs done for...sad but true. /QUOTE]

OMG! That's great! I apologize if you're serious, but reading that made me laugh out loud.
I'm quite serious, killing Harry's owl would just increase his post-Dumbledore must-destroy attitude. Hedwig was in some ways Harry's first friend, and his constant companion.

Old February 12th, 2007, 3:59 am
First Year

Harry will not die . I find it hard to believe jkr would create a person with such a rotten life just to kill him off. as for the other people in the tale I think they are all on the table . personaly I think Hagrid will go in the final battle because he is harry's oldest friend in the wizarding world and that willcause him to find the iner strength (find the love)to defeat lv. Snape will live and turn out to be good, Dumbledore is no fool and planed for snape to kill him if Drako could not. that would put him in tight with lv and remember wizards who are dead can travel between pictures and Dumbledore is in all the chocolate frog cards can you imagine where he can go and what he will see. petigrew will die helping Harry he owes him.

Old February 12th, 2007, 4:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmcminn View Post
I really don't think that would happen. I can see maybe an attack at the Dursley's house but Vernon would offer up Harry instantly. Maybe Petunia would sacrifice herself, but I seriously doubt it. Plus, why would Voldemort want them dead?
Voldemort realized that Lily's sacrifice was ancient magic that protected Harry. LV may discover that Harry is protected at Petunia's house until he reaches 17 and may try to take out Petunia or the whole Dursley family as a means to end the protection.

You're right I don't see Petunia making a sacrifice.

The Dursley's have been brought more into the magical world with each book and Dudley was attacked in OoP by dementors (I know Umbridge sent them), but why attack Dudley? Petunia knows about LV and the dementors and DD reminds her about the whole protection business ending when Harry is 17. I can't help but think that #4 Privet Drive might be in for a big surprise.

Old February 12th, 2007, 5:06 am
Second Year

Lord Kaine was right about Molly. She did indeed lose some family members in the last battle with LV. Before she was married her name was Molly Prewett, so she was related to Gideon Prewett and his brother, whose name I forget, which took five Death Eaters to kill, so Molly is no stranger to losing family members. I agree with all the people who say that it's more likely to win lotto three weeks in a row than for all the Weasleys to survive this last HP book - but three of the Weasleys have already survived near-death experiences because of LV. I'm talking about Arthur, Ron and Bill. It would seem a bit unlucky if, after surviving these attacks, they would then die in the seventh book, so I believe that these three will not die, which reduces our possibilities to six: Molly, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George and Ginny. At least two of these will probably die. Possibly Percy, because he is a Weasley we don't really care about, but the other one could be one of the twins, or maybe Molly. I'm holding out for no deaths to the four big ones: Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ginny, mainly because it would be unbearably sad, but also because they consist of two young couples who ought to have their entire lives together.

Old February 12th, 2007, 6:21 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottriplets View Post
Voldemort realized that Lily's sacrifice was ancient magic that protected Harry. LV may discover that Harry is protected at Petunia's house until he reaches 17 and may try to take out Petunia or the whole Dursley family as a means to end the protection.

You're right I don't see Petunia making a sacrifice.

The Dursley's have been brought more into the magical world with each book and Dudley was attacked in OoP by dementors (I know Umbridge sent them), but why attack Dudley? Petunia knows about LV and the dementors and DD reminds her about the whole protection business ending when Harry is 17. I can't help but think that #4 Privet Drive might be in for a big surprise.
Voldemort already knows that Harry's protected. In GoF he says of the Dursley's " Not even I can touch him there". I'm sure he knows the protection will end when Harry turns 17. The only way the Dursleys are in danger is if Harry waits until his birthday to leave, but I think Harry will be smarter than that and anticipate LV closing in on Privet Drive.
He'll be careful to leave before his birthday.

The Dursleys will be safe up until the Birthday because of magic. They will be safe after because its a very well known fact how much Harry has hated living there. Even Ernie MacMillan in CoS said that it was no secret Harry hated the muggles he lived with. Snape, whether good or evil, knows many of Harry's bad childhood memories from the Occlumency lessons, and would probably share them with Voldemort. Harry would probably save the Dursleys if they were in danger because that's the kind of person he is, but if Voldemort wanted to pick a good way to lure Harry, it would not be the Dursleys.

Old February 12th, 2007, 8:39 am
Second Year

Well, no, I don't believe the Dursleys would make very good lures, I think there are plenty of other potential targets, such as Ginny, Ron, Hermione, indeed any of the Weasleys. But I think they Harry will be leaving Privet Drive the minute he turns seventeen, and I do indeed mean minute, although I'm not sure how he will leave, possibly by broomstick, or he might Apparate illegally, not sure which. Maybe the Order will provide him with a security team again.

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:19 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffindorsRule View Post
Lord Kaine was right about Molly. She did indeed lose some family members in the last battle with LV. Before she was married her name was Molly Prewett, so she was related to Gideon Prewett and his brother, whose name I forget, which took five Death Eaters to kill, so Molly is no stranger to losing family members.
Gideon and Fabian (where they possibly twins?) were Molly´s brothers.

Quote:
I agree with all the people who say that it's more likely to win lotto three weeks in a row than for all the Weasleys to survive this last HP book - but three of the Weasleys have already survived near-death experiences because of LV. I'm talking about Arthur, Ron and Bill. It would seem a bit unlucky if, after surviving these attacks, they would then die in the seventh book, so I believe that these three will not die,
That´s how I see it as well.

Quote:
which reduces our possibilities to six: Molly, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George and Ginny. At least two of these will probably die. Possibly Percy, because he is a Weasley we don't really care about, but the other one could be one of the twins, or maybe Molly.
Maybe both. Percy and Molly. I am very much afraid for Molly. I´ve said this before, it is a horrible thing for parents to see one (or even more) of their children die. I somehow cannot imagine JKR, a mother herself, kills one or two of the Weasley children and Molly and Arthur live to see it. Therefore, I can imagine the Weasley-loss will be one of the parents, and since Arthur already had his close call, my guess is Molly.

Quote:
I'm holding out for no deaths to the four big ones: Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ginny, mainly because it would be unbearably sad, but also because they consist of two young couples who ought to have their entire lives together.
I think that would be a wonderful 'message'. JKR did say once, if I recall correctly, she had to give people hope. I don´t recall in what context she said this, but I think it would be hope for the wizarding world, that will be in shambles once the war is over, when they have two promising young couples, Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, who can help rebuild the wizarding society.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockGirli View Post
She has always been at a risk to die, maybe Chamber of Secrets will forshadow her fate?
I don't really know, and anything can happen. (probably will happen, too)
There are rumours that says that Harry and Ginny will make it through because of their connection and its power (which I don't understand, it's ancient magic, I'm with Voldemort on this one). But if Ginny goes up against LV to save Harry, I believe she'll be dead in a heartbeat. Powerful or not, I don't think she can survive a meeting with him, unless "the small piece of himself that he left in Ginny in CoS" has something to say about it.

And you made an interesting point about foreshadowing. I find it likely that they will encounter a DE or two at some point, and will someone die there? If so, then Hermione might be the one. Reason - her grades in HBP. She was Outstanding in everything except Defense against the Dark Arts. I really hope Hermione ain't the one who dies, if any of the four does bite the dust.

Old February 12th, 2007, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamelda View Post
Voldemort already knows that Harry's protected. In GoF he says of the Dursley's " Not even I can touch him there". I'm sure he knows the protection will end when Harry turns 17.
I most likely didn't explain myself right. I shouldn't have put in my message that LV would figure out that Harry was protected until he was 17.

I guess the reason I feel unsure about the Dursley's is the fact that dementors were able to attack Harry and Dudley. But one thing I noticed when I was reading some of the OoP (for the 5th time) and I noticed that when the owls started showing up with messages..the ones from Arthur and Sirius make it a point to tell Harry "not to leave the house". Even after Petunia gets her Howler...she of course tells Vernon that Harry stays, but she goes on to tell Harry "you're not to leave the house". I have read this before but I really never really noticed the emphasis about "not leaving the house".

Harry is being followed and "guarded" by Order members, but no one is actually stationed inside the Dursley's home. It seems to me that Harry may only be truly protected "inside" the house itself.

I do believe that Harry would protect the Dursley's if they are attacked...no matter how horrible they have been to him over the years...he did protect Dudley after all. Do you think the "Order" is protecting the Dursley's when they are away from home without Harry or could they be attacked?

I know somewhere that DD said that as long as Harry could call the house his home (paraphrased) he was protected there. I can't find it right now.

Quote:
but I think Harry will be smarter than that and anticipate LV closing in on Privet Drive.
He'll be careful to leave before his birthday.
I know Harry has broken rules before, but do you really think he would intentionally leave before his birthday now that he knows about the protection especially when DD stressed how important it is?

Last edited by gottriplets; February 12th, 2007 at 5:16 pm.
Old February 12th, 2007, 4:23 pm
Second Year

I doubt that Harry would wantonly risk his life by going out of the house during the summer holidays - especially now that the fight is even more personal than ever before. He will probably stay inside until he turns seventeen and then leave immediately so as to not put the Dursleys, or himself, in too much danger.

Old February 12th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffindorsRule View Post
I doubt that Harry would wantonly risk his life by going out of the house during the summer holidays - especially now that the fight is even more personal than ever before. He will probably stay inside until he turns seventeen and then leave immediately so as to not put the Dursleys, or himself, in too much danger.
I don't think so. From CoS to HBP, Harry leaves the house every chance he gets, so much so that in OOtP, Harry has to be ordered by Dumbledore to stay inside.

I think the visit to the Dursley's will be brief, and if Harry stays even one night he will be under their roof as little as possible.

And drill sergeants do not hug.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies