Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room

Book Covers

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:21 am
Banned

Stylistic change in US edtions' covers after book 4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/series/1/re...tion=hardcover

there's a list of all the covers (in the US).

Book 1-4 all have a very consistent feel, very busy, animated.
Book 5-7 also have a consistent feel, monocolored and instead of the titles being in some kind of box or bold print, the titles are as if they were hand written.

I like both styles, and I like how 5-7 have a sort of trilogy thing going, especially since only they have deluxe editions.

I'm curious though, why the change?
Was it because of the events at the end of book 4?

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 3:34 pm
First Year

Re: Stylistic change in US edtions' covers after book 4

I think that GoF's cover goes with the later ones as much as the earlier ones. It is busy, but the characters are more detailed. Just look at Harry on GoF compared to PoA. It's like a transition between the two styles, which really fits as the middle book.

Old May 15th, 2007, 3:47 pm
Banned

I disagree, it much more belongs in the first 3's category.
The last 3 books (other than the 'Harry Potter') are all one single color for the most part (nothing contrasting such as red on green) and the title of the book is clearly different than the first four (being handwritten as opposed to being on a sign).

As far as I can tell from that page, the first 4 came out between 1998-2000 while the others didn't come out until after 2003.

I quite like the change and the distinction they make. Like the last 3 are a trilogy of sorts. Only having read the first three books this month I'm not familiar with the story too much of the last books but it seems they're more focused on the war with Voldemort while the first four are more individual events at the school.

Old May 15th, 2007, 8:11 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz View Post
The last 3 books (other than the 'Harry Potter') are all one single color for the most part (nothing contrasting such as red on green) and the title of the book is clearly different than the first four (being handwritten as opposed to being on a sign).

As far as I can tell from that page, the first 4 came out between 1998-2000 while the others didn't come out until after 2003.

I quite like the change and the distinction they make. Like the last 3 are a trilogy of sorts. Only having read the first three books this month I'm not familiar with the story too much of the last books but it seems they're more focused on the war with Voldemort while the first four are more individual events at the school.
Aside from the possibility that it just so happened to be that way, I think that the reason why the monocolored, grimmer looking covers has to do with the tension between Death Eaters and Voldemort's return rising to a point where there is going to be a final, extravagant release. The OoTP is a dark blue which shows the fact that it was probably one of the darkest books thus far. HBP seems to be the dark green with the light pouring in from the center showing that the situation is still dark, but is growing to a point where the finality is impending.

Thus, the DH cover is a bright orange (which reminds me of a starburst) which would also convey the sense that everything was finally revealed (little shadows around LV) and there would be no 8th book as this IS the final chapter.

Also, the covers can also be looked at as sort of a personal journey for Harry. In the earlier books he has a look of wonder and naivety, but in the more recent ones he shows more determination and confidence in his posture and his facial expression.

Then again, I could just be "reading" into it too much.

Old May 15th, 2007, 8:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz View Post
Sure, I agree with you that the last three form their own trilogy. What I'm saying is that the first three also make up their own trilogy and GoF sits right in the middle between the two, bridging them together. Look at the character designs for Harry. In the first three he looks pretty much the same, fairly simplistic and cartoony. With GoF he looks completely different, and you can see that Mary Grandpre took a significant step towards the more refined character designs of OotP onward. Actually, other than the fact that she aged him in OotP, I'd say she's already there with the GoF cover. So it pretty much keeps the color and activity of the first three while transitioning to the style that would be used for the rest. That's very fitting since GoF marks a major turning point for the series.

Old May 16th, 2007, 11:32 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeramus View Post
Sure, I agree with you that the last three form their own trilogy. What I'm saying is that the first three also make up their own trilogy and GoF sits right in the middle between the two, bridging them together. Look at the character designs for Harry. In the first three he looks pretty much the same, fairly simplistic and cartoony. With GoF he looks completely different, and you can see that Mary Grandpre took a significant step towards the more refined character designs of OotP onward. Actually, other than the fact that she aged him in OotP, I'd say she's already there with the GoF cover. So it pretty much keeps the color and activity of the first three while transitioning to the style that would be used for the rest. That's very fitting since GoF marks a major turning point for the series.
I completely agree with you here. Goblet does keep that tradition of the first three, incorporating many plot elements as pictures on the cover. But the drawing style is less cartoonish, more refined, like the final three. I also think it begins to make a color shift toward a more monochromatic look with all of the green hedges. GoF is not as monochrome as OotP or HBP, but it is much more so than PoA, which is quite garish and clashing, in my opinion.

It is a fitting transitional style for Goblet, since it is such a transitional book for Harry--moving from learning the wonders of the wizarding world to the harsh reality of Voldemort's return--quite the turning point of the series.

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm
First Year

Book Covers

Harry is always on the cover with someone who's not Ron or rather Hermione.

SS
Front harry on broomstick
Back Cover Quirrel unraveling turban

etc etc Im not going to list all the book covers but you get the point.

Do you think JKR did this to be like, "Muwahahah you don't know who's gunna live and who's gunna die." Except for the girl on buckbeak with harry on CoS (US) who I thought was hermione up until like maybe 2 years ago. Ginnny is the only real person to have shown up.

Pondering thoughts?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Don't Make Barney hurt you because he will,
yes he will
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:29 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Book Covers

The publisher's approve the book covers, not JK.

Book covers differ with translated books and from publisher to publisher.

Old June 6th, 2007, 1:06 pm
Seventh Year

Maybe you will find this thread interesting.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old June 6th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Sixth Year

I'm guessing Ms. GranPre (sp?) has some pretty open license for the US covers, but it's hard to say - and Kingwidgit has a point that the covers are many and varied for the different publishers/countries they are printed in. Although, this theory is blown in HBP because DD is pictured on the cover and he dies at the end, so simply being on the cover is no guarantee of staying alive. A Deathly Hollows certainly confirms this, because both Harry and Voldie are on this one and at least one of them is bound to die - if not both.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old June 6th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Second Year

yea, DD is on book six...and in terms of ron and hermione...isn't ronon CoS? my mind might be playing tricks on me but i seem to remember him being on the front of that book.

Old June 6th, 2007, 4:13 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
I'm guessing Ms. GranPre (sp?) has some pretty open license for the US covers, but it's hard to say - and Kingwidgit has a point that the covers are many and varied for the different publishers/countries they are printed in. Although, this theory is blown in HBP because DD is pictured on the cover and he dies at the end, so simply being on the cover is no guarantee of staying alive. A Deathly Hollows certainly confirms this, because both Harry and Voldie are on this one and at least one of them is bound to die - if not both.

I think that is one of the reasons why both are on the cover. If there would be only one of them I can nearly hear all the rumours that would awake.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old June 6th, 2007, 5:31 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

The Bloomsbury adult editions never have Harry (or anyone else for that matter) on the covers.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 6th, 2007, 6:15 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett View Post
I think that is one of the reasons why both are on the cover. If there would be only one of them I can nearly hear all the rumours that would awake.
But those rumors would be only that - because being on the cover or not being on the cover doesn't mean anything since book 6 was printed. Both Harry and DD were on the cover and they both didn't end up the same. Every other US cover pictures only Harry and some secondary characters from the book (if anyone).

The most prolific design I think comes from book 4, where the horntail, Fleur, Krum, a large Egg and other items are all pictured - but none of this really says much for the longevity of the characters involved, or what the outcome would be. All they give is who is involved in the story - and I think we can assume as much for the last book that both Harry and Voldemort would be involved. I agree that the theories would be FLYING, but that's mroe a product of "us" as Potter freaks than anything else.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old June 6th, 2007, 7:12 pm
Second Year

I doubt that J.K.R. really had that in mind when the artists designed the covers.... really rather the people involved in the design prob. thought that this was the last opportunity to get all 3 of the main characters on the cover.

Old June 6th, 2007, 8:39 pm
Fourth Year

She and the cover artist Grandpre, probably did it to provide a meaning and be creative.

Old June 6th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomdude59 View Post
Harry is always on the cover with someone who's not Ron or rather Hermione.
I know, that is kind of odd. I think Mary GrandPre puts what she thinks is important on the covers. JKR doesn't tell her what to do; although she probably tell her not to give anything away with the cover!

Quote:
Back Cover Quirrel unraveling turban
Ummm...isn't that Dumbledore? In his robes? I'm sure it is...

Quote:
Do you think JKR did this to be like, "Muwahahah you don't know who's gunna live and who's gunna die." Except for the girl on buckbeak with harry on CoS (US) who I thought was hermione up until like maybe 2 years ago. Ginnny is the only real person to have shown up.

Pondering thoughts?
First of all, are we talking about the American covers? I think so...if we are then, Mary GrandPre reads the book (I'm pretty sure about this, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, please) and then draws the covers with what she thinks is important and stuff. JKR probably approves it when she's done.

Quote:
Except for the girl on buckbeak with harry on CoS (US) who I thought was hermione up until like maybe 2 years ago. Ginnny is the only real person to have shown up.
POA, you mean.

Ginny isn't on any of the covers...maybe on the UK ones, I wouldn't know, I haven't seen them. And that is Hermione on the US POA cover.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
Except for the girl on buckbeak with harry on CoS (US) who I thought was hermione up until like maybe 2 years ago. Ginnny is the only real person to have shown up.

Pondering thoughts?
Am i missing something? The girl on buckbeak with Harry isn't Hermione??? Huh?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:15 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunes_foool View Post
Am i missing something? The girl on buckbeak with Harry isn't Hermione??? Huh?
No, it is Hermione.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig_3180 View Post
No, it is Hermione.
Yeah it is. What is the author of this post getting at ? (and I mean that in a nice way.)

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room