Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room

(Re) Introducing the Anti-Spoiler Association!

Old April 15th, 2007, 9:26 pm
First Year

Re: (Re) Introducing the Anti-Spoiler Association!

Did my sig in a bit of a rush, will do something bout it next month after my exams get over, still how does it look?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Second Year

Joined I'm against the spoilers!!!

(now I need to try to make a cool sig )

Sirius is alive. In my heart.
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:09 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor D View Post
And we will keep up the spoiler policy also for a time after the release to protect those members who can't get the book immediately. There will be a special area of the forums where DH discussion is allowed. Anywhere else in the forums spoiling will still be forbidden.
I guess the same rules as last time will apply to sig content as well? No quotes or images from DH (except cover art) will be allowed in sigs or avatars for about 3 months after the release, right?

Old April 15th, 2007, 11:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
It's a well know fact that Dumbledore's death by the hand of Snape was out before the release of HBP.
No, it wasn't... it was given different release dates in the US and Canada and Canada got it first- 1 lousy day. Canadian kids who already had it read told American kids who hadn't finished (or bought it) yet. It was already released and spoiled by kids who read it first. Prior to that, the only news anyone had on either spoiler was that Harry would have a fling and someone important would die- it never said who, what, when, where, why or how in any form- and the last I checked, Jo gave both of these herself. If it had really given it away that DD would be killed by Snape, would you all have still been speculating on who bites it hours before it came out?

If you're gonna have a rabid witch hunt against people who are supposedly ruining your experience with spoilers, at least get your facts straight on instances you're using to justify yourselves...

Old April 15th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtst View Post
No, it wasn't... it was given different release dates in the US and Canada and Canada got it first- 1 lousy day. Canadian kids who already had it read told American kids who hadn't finished (or bought it) yet. It was already released and spoiled by kids who read it first. Prior to that, the only news anyone had on either spoiler was that Harry would have a fling and someone important would die- it never said who, what, when, where, why or how in any form- and the last I checked, Jo gave both of these herself. If it had really given it away that DD would be killed by Snape, would you all have still been speculating on who bites it hours before it came out?
On the internet, the fact that Dumbledore dies and that Snape killed him was being posted up to one week before the book release. Staff members on this site who had to deal with these revealing posts were spoiled, as were a lot of members. Not only that, but a few people got the book early and posted screenshots of pages, chapters, and more - all before the book was officially released globally.

The point of this thread and the ASA is to help prevent anything like that happening again by getting members to swiftly report anything that could be deemed a spoiler just in case it is, and to help spread awareness that posting these things before the book release just isn't on. This isn't a "rabid witch hunt" - it's an attempt to prevent people from having crucial plot lines revealed to them again before the release.

Part of the Care Bear gang!

Last edited by leenielou; April 15th, 2007 at 11:50 pm.
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:

If you're gonna have a rabid witch hunt against people who are supposedly ruining your experience with spoilers, at least get your facts straight on instances you're using to justify yourselves...
I encountered two big spoilers in the media several months before the previous release: Dumbledore would die and Snape was the Half-Blood Prince. Fortunately, I thought the latter was ridiculous and promptly forgot about it! I was on holiday for the week before the release, but it's common knowledge that pages were scanned and posted on various websites that week.

Old April 15th, 2007, 11:50 pm
Mouse

Quote:

I can assure you that it was out well before the release. Myself and several other staff members were spoiled by someone posting a scan of the page.

You do not have to join the ASA. You do not have to think it's a good idea. But I assure that it both works and serves a purpose.

And we are quite sure of our facts. We were there. We were spoiled. We know exactly what's going on.

Old April 16th, 2007, 4:11 am
Banned

Quote:
I can assure you that it was out well before the release. Myself and several other staff members were spoiled by someone posting a scan of the page.
And yet, I can't find archives of any of you talking about this... at least fabricate some before you lie about it like that.

Old April 16th, 2007, 4:43 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
And yet, I can't find archives of any of you talking about this... at least fabricate some before you lie about it like that.
I still have the link to the page that spoiled it for me. Would you like that?

Edit: Here: http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/8...e6a8d016pa.jpg HBP spoilers, guyz!

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing

Last edited by Spritey; April 16th, 2007 at 4:46 am.
Twilight Princess

Quote:
It is really unnecessary for you to accuse us of lying about the HBP spoilers. It is a pretty well known fact that spoilers, namely chapter titles and the page containing the Snape kills Dumbledore, appeared online in the week leading up to the release of HBP and that CoS closed early as a result. You can read about the spoiler controversy at Wikipedia if you wish, although we could have fabricated that I suppose.

If you don't agree with the ASA that is fine, it isn't mandatory to participate.

Third Year

Quote:
Hey now, no need to make accusations; can't we all just get along?

Old April 16th, 2007, 4:52 am
First Year

If you look at melissa's and emerson's interview then Jo herself said that they dont know if that was a leak or someone just guessed right.

Quote:
We still don't know whether there was a genuine leak on that, or whether it was speculation that happened to be accurate.

ES: With this book?

MA: Remember the bets?

ES: Oh yeah -

JKR: Yeah, the betting scam. Well, we're now 50/50. If you remember, on Phoenix, the betting went for Cho Chang, and it was exactly the same thing. Suddenly someone put up something like £10,000 on Cho Chang to die, and you wouldn't think someone would waste that kind of money, so we think that they thought they had inside information. On the Dumbledore one, we still don't know. Was there a genuine leak or did someone just guess, and get it right?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old April 16th, 2007, 5:27 am
Mouse

The big leak came from bookstores where they get the book a week in advance. It's a shame that people who are lucky enough to read it early want to ruin the experience for other people. But we'll be doing our best to make sure that doesn't happen here for Deathly Hallows

Old April 16th, 2007, 6:34 am
First Year

and there were icons and things made about a week before , saying things like 'dumbledore dies on page ......., i just saved u 5 hours and 30 dollars" lucky at the time i hadnt been introtuced to the greatness that is the internet hp fandom..

Old April 16th, 2007, 7:39 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
I still have the link to the page that spoiled it for me. Would you like that?

Edit: Here: http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/8...e6a8d016pa.jpg HBP spoilers, guyz!
I remember that. Lani closed COS forums several days before it was scheduled because of that. I logged on and no COS. Those spoilers were also on The Dark Mark forums as well - along with all the chapter titles and some other spoilers. That was at least a week before HBP was released.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old April 16th, 2007, 8:09 am
Second Year

I think it's better not to webserf and hang around in the internet for sometime before the release Then nobody will spoil the reading for you!

Sirius is alive. In my heart.
Old April 16th, 2007, 8:58 am
McMugwump Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMagic View Post
It is really unnecessary for you to accuse us of lying about the HBP spoilers. It is a pretty well known fact that spoilers, namely chapter titles and the page containing the Snape kills Dumbledore, appeared online in the week leading up to the release of HBP and that CoS closed early as a result. You can read about the spoiler controversy at Wikipedia if you wish, although we could have fabricated that I suppose.
There's no point, MadMagic, he's definitely onto us! I thought you told me only evolved humans would be able to see through our fiendish scheme!

*runs screaming into the twilight*

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old April 16th, 2007, 9:07 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
The big leak came from bookstores where they get the book a week in advance. It's a shame that people who are lucky enough to read it early want to ruin the experience for other people. But we'll be doing our best to make sure that doesn't happen here for Deathly Hallows

I thought the big Dumbledore dies spoiler came about (I think more than a month before release) because somebody noticed a drastic rise in betting that Dumbledore would die in the town in England, where HBP was being printed. And the tabloids splashed it across their front pages. linkypoo

But then even this kind of spoiler is not always true

taken from linked article

Meanwhile, William Hill have noticed a surge of punters trying to place bets on the character Dean Thomas being the half-blood prince of the title.

Last edited by YellowRose; April 16th, 2007 at 9:25 am.
Old April 16th, 2007, 9:50 am
Superman

Quote:

Perhaps this might be worth looking out. This picture was taken several days before the release.

Of course lani might have just wanted to be cool and faked the spoilers. He's so desperate for attention

There are reasons why you won't find people discussing it. It's all rather logical really. You see spoiler discussion pre-HBP was naturally deleted and what is left would lack context and therefore you wouldn't be able to identify it. Post-HBP there was no discussion of pre-HBP spoilers simply because discussion was focused on the book.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia

Last edited by Picko; April 16th, 2007 at 9:55 am.
Old April 16th, 2007, 9:58 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
That so definitely sucks

Meh, I really hope that something like that doesn't happen this time.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room