Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why did Dumbledore hire Lockhart?

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:29 am
Second Year

Re: Why did Dumbledore hire Lockhart?

I think Lockhart was the only one besides Snape that wanted the job. They had to put someone in the job so he was the one who got it.

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:43 am
Second Year

Well first of all Dumbledore obviously wanted to keep Snape from the Defense against the Dark Arts job. Second of all, he had no one else available to take the job, and at first glance, Lockhart seems to be quite knowledgeable. However, this is obviously not the case as Dumbledore was probably quick in finding out, but had to stick with him because there was no other alternative except for Snape, and that was the last thing he wanted.

Join the ASA today!
Old February 12th, 2007, 1:16 am
Third Year

Lockhart was the only one that wanted the job (and that Dumbledore could afford losing). It's as easy as that.

^
|

Finally, my two loves come together *sigh*

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old February 12th, 2007, 2:03 am
Second Year

They were the only people beside Snape for the job.

Old February 12th, 2007, 6:10 pm
First Year

He trusts people to much.

Exhibit A: Snape.

Old February 12th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Green Staff

Quote:
The job is cursed. Dumbledore believed in the curse. I think he knew Lockhart was a fake but on the odd chance that he actually DID do all the things he said than he could handle the curse. The bigger question to me is why he put people he liked (Lupin, Moody, Snape) into that job. I guess he thought they'd only last a year but wouldn't necessarily die, like Quirrell did.
I too think that DD knew Lockhart was a fake - and he may have, in a slightly mischievious way, known that having Lockhart take on the job would blow his cover. He may have figured that exposing him as a fake would have been for the greater good of the wizarding world, though the readers of Witches' Weekly wouldn't agree. I don't think he realized that Lockhart would end up in St Mungo's, though.

Addressing the three hires of people that DD liked:
Lupin: he knew Lupin had his own little secret, and that he would never last a year without it being exposed. So DD must have figured that the worst that could happen is Lupin resigns in semi-disgrace and Rita Skeeter writes about how DD makes risky hires, etc etc. Basically, the worst that could happen is what happened, and DD was willing to deal with the consequences.
Moody: This one came with a 1 yr guaruntee. Maybe DD figured he'd get around the worst of the curse with that guaruntee. He just didn't figure that Barty Crouch Jr would do his fake moody thing. Oops...
Snape: Most curious hire. A lot of the good Snape / bad Snape / out for himself Snape debate revolves around this issue. I wont' get into it too much because that's a topic for another thread (or 3...)

Old February 13th, 2007, 10:43 pm
Second Year

probably because he thought, despite their attitudes/actions, they would have taught the students something...what, i'm not sure, but the only other thing that i can come up with is that he couldn't find another alternative..and besides, ever since voldy was in school, haven't they gone through a DADA teacher every year? he probably got tired of finding new teachers, so he got what came through the door

ITS THE END!!!!!!!!!
no really, it's the END OF THE SAGA!!!
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:36 am
Green Staff

Heh, I can just see DD going:
"Well, they'll be good at memory charms...if they can remember any lessons"

Old February 14th, 2007, 12:40 am
Second Year

I always wondered, if Dumbledore is such a great wizard, why didn't he lift the curse? Did he see some advantage to having a different teacher each year that no one else caught on to?

Old February 14th, 2007, 1:40 am
Green Staff

Perhaps there are some curses that can't be broken? For instance, a lot of the merchandise at Borgin and Burkes is probably cursed with curses that are unbreakable, except perhaps by those who cast it.

DD is the most powerful wizard of the present age, and he's studied ancient magic extensively, but even he admits that LV knows more about magic, particularly old magic, better than he does. And it's possible that the most powerful wizards of the past ages were more powerful...

Old February 15th, 2007, 7:43 am
First Year

umm wasnt it because he could not get anyone for the job? I think he was just desperate so he did not care who took the job...even if it was lockhart hehehe really desperate!

Old February 15th, 2007, 9:20 am
First Year

Um...publicity for the school?
I must admit,one of my favourite bits in the books is in Ootp when the trio see Lockhart in St. Mungo's. "I didnt learn joined up for nothing!" lol

Old February 15th, 2007, 11:06 am
First Year

I think throughout the series DD hired teachers who he knew wouldn't last the year, hence reducing the risk of losing somebody that would have planned to stay for a long time and was actually good at their job. I think he thought Quirrell would lose his nerve and quit after one year, as it is often mentioned that he appeared quite scared of his subject. He knew Lockhart would make an idiot out of himself. He knew Snape wouldn't be able to stand Lupin teaching for more than a year, or for his werewolf secret would get released, hence a demand for him to be fired. He knew Moody would only be around for one year so thought he might escape the curse. 5th year was out of his control. And Snape, I guess he suspected that Snape would have to reveal himself at some stage during the war and would be unlikely to last more than a year.

Old February 15th, 2007, 11:15 am
First Year

It still baffles as to DD intentions there because anyone could have ssen through Lockhart and as a well accomplished Legilimens, DD would have seen through him even more but I guess as HAgrid said, he was the only one who had applied for the job and hence the reason why he was hired.

GO LIONS !!!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old February 15th, 2007, 2:27 pm
Fourth Year

He needed to fill the position...and plus, Lockhart could be used as a lesson himself.

"Students, whatever you do....don't you dare turn into this..."

Old February 15th, 2007, 5:17 pm
Green Staff

Good thoughts thrawn - you put simply what I had been trying to say in a complicated way before . And, yes, Lockhart could be used as a lesson by DD for the young students - don't let your Ego get in the way of your usefulness. Lockhart could have been useful as a wizarding model or an obliviator; but he chose the path that his ego dictated, and he ended up in St Mungo's instead .

Old February 16th, 2007, 2:11 am
First Year

I could have sworn that Harry said something along the lines of "Yeah, Professor Quirrel was a great teacher, apart from having Lord Voldemort on the back of his head." I got the sense that Harry wasn't being all that sarcastic when he said that, and I got the feeling that Quirrel was actually a good teacher apart from that little problem.

Old February 16th, 2007, 2:54 am
Sixth Year

I figure he hired him to keep him out of trouble. They guy is an accident waiting to happen. And well, Dumbledore could probably foresee that if the good side didn't get him, the bad side would. And well, after the bad side was done with him he'd have lost more than just his memory. He can be glad that is all he lost.

Or face the wrath of the four-legged duckling of dooooom!

Severus Snape= Pauses Nerves
Deathly Hallows= The old hallways
Old February 16th, 2007, 2:58 am
First Year

If DD knew that after Tom's visit the "rotating DADA teacher ejection system/curse" was in effect, wouldn't he try to place expendable teachers in the job?

As in teachers who wouldn't be expected to be at the school more than one school year anyway???

Old February 17th, 2007, 11:13 am
Second Year

just to fill the post and to see if what he wrote was true

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives