Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

'There will be still much to discuss after Deathly Hallows....'

Old February 17th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Fourth Year

'There will be still much to discuss after Deathly Hallows....'

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

That's what JK said on her website, in response to the fact many readers may have to be upset that the series will end soon, and that they may not be able to go o nthe message boards anymore.

So...whta could this mean? Do you think there are some things that just won't be resolved?

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Second Year

Re: 'There will be still much to discuss after Deathly Hallows....'

I think with any good book, like our beloved Harry Potter, the greatest impact will come after the the last word has been written.
So let it be written, so let it done.

Old February 17th, 2007, 5:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think with any good book, like our beloved Harry Potter, the greatest impact will come after the the last word has been written.
So let it be written, so let it done.
Yeah knowing JKR she'll leave us completley confused after the last word

Old February 17th, 2007, 7:11 pm
First Year

I personally think that some things won't make sense.
But I think that most of it will.
And the things that don't make sense will hopefully be explained by JKR.

Old February 17th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Second Year

I think she will resolve most things, but have someone dissappearing/dying mysteriously, or something happening that she doesnt really explain, so she will leave us all talking/speculating about it.

Old February 17th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Fourth Year

I've heard her say at one time that the ending (whether or not this still applies) wil be one where she doesn't actually say what happens....but you've got a very good idea. I lveo those endings, because they're more subtle yet so powerful.
PLus it makes a better book!

Old February 17th, 2007, 8:23 pm
First Year

I think that given the number of questions that have been raised on this & other forums, there's no way that everything will be covered. There's got to still be loads of loose ends that just won't get tied up. I personally find that thought really annoying. I'd like to think that after a while JK would do something to answer the questions that are left unanswered, but I can't ever see that happening

Here's to the sanest person in the wizarding world
Old February 17th, 2007, 8:31 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff View Post
I've heard her say at one time that the ending (whether or not this still applies) wil be one where she doesn't actually say what happens....but you've got a very good idea. I lveo those endings, because they're more subtle yet so powerful.
PLus it makes a better book!
I've never heard her say that. I remember back in 2003, she was asked if there would be any loose ends, and she said "Oh, I hope not ... No, I'm hoping to tie it all up in one big knot. That's it."

I think the things "still to be discussed" will be minor things - questions which don't really influence the main plot in any way, but which fans might like to speculate on. All the major stuff will be resolved, though - I don't have much doubt about that.

Jo did say last year that there would still be room for fans to write fanfic about "minor characters", which implies that the fates of all the major characters will be dealt with pretty extensively in the epilogue.

Old February 17th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Banned

J.K will have to wrap everything up neat & tidy to prevent the theorising going on, unless that's what she wants, then yes.. people like us will be able to talk about Harry Potter till the dogs go home, because we love to do it, even if *gulp* HP dies, then we will still be able to talk about the rest of the characters , and possible things which they have done, maybe make up some mini-stories about them, "Dean Thomas and the Army of Inferi" for example.

What wouldn't there be to talk about? No more theorising about what happens in future books, but we don't just talk about that do we now? We talk about everything HP, past books, character analysis, everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
I've never heard her say that. I remember back in 2003, she was asked if there would be any loose ends, and she said "Oh, I hope not ... No, I'm hoping to tie it all up in one big knot. That's it."

I think the things "still to be discussed" will be minor things - questions which don't really influence the main plot in any way, but which fans might like to speculate on. All the major stuff will be resolved, though - I don't have much doubt about that.

Jo did say last year that there would still be room for fans to write fanfic about "minor characters", which implies that the fates of all the major characters will be dealt with pretty extensively in the epilogue.
Oh ho! Ron and Hermione shipping all the way!

Old February 17th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think that Jo would leave us with any huge mysteries unsolved though to write in every loose end and a novel would take far too many pages, so some less important things will have to be sacrificed. For example, we might learn more about Dumbledore and the ring, but not nessasarily about the exact specifications of how his hand got destroyed. Plus, what fun would it be if she told us everything?

Old February 17th, 2007, 8:39 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmcminn View Post
I don't think that Jo would leave us with any huge mysteries unsolved though to write in every loose end and a novel would take far too many pages, so some less important things will have to be sacrificed. For example, we might learn more about Dumbledore and the ring, but not nessasarily about the exact specifications of how his hand got destroyed. Plus, what fun would it be if she told us everything?
None at all, and the people who make fansites would be gutted

Old February 17th, 2007, 8:49 pm
Third Year

Or maybe, Deathly Hallows is SO WELL WRITTEN, that we just have to talk about it. That we HAVE to know what comes next. I mean, I really expect everything to be resolved, and if it isn't, I'll be going insane, but she won't make more. SO I think that's what she means. And plus, I think so things will be left unanswered, but small things...

Old February 17th, 2007, 8:57 pm
First Year

I think that Voldy's death will leave us in doubt. We will still be discussing whether he is truly dead or not. It may also apply to Harry's death, if he comes to die, that is.

Old February 17th, 2007, 9:01 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I think that there are so many really complex characters that we'll still be able to discuss their motivation behind their actions in all 7 books and their back story for at least another 10 years. But I think the futures of the main characters will be pretty well made clear in DH.

One of my favourite JKR quotations is the one where she said she had to make Deathly Hallows the last book, because she couldn't keep going until she reached Harry Potter and the Mid-Life Crisis!

Old February 17th, 2007, 9:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I think that there are so many really complex characters that we'll still be able to discuss their motivation behind their actions in all 7 books and their back story for at least another 10 years. But I think the futures of the main characters will be pretty well made clear in DH.

One of my favourite JKR quotations is the one where she said she had to make Deathly Hallows the last book, because she couldn't keep going until she reached Harry Potter and the Mid-Life Crisis!
People will be talking 'bout Harry Potter for decades, even if it's simply discussing how captivating the books are, scratch theorising.

Old February 17th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Third Year

Yeah. I mean, just becuase a books gone, it doesn't mean we can't still think about what WOULD happen if ______ hadn't died, and if Voldemort hadn't __________!

Old February 18th, 2007, 12:20 am
Fourth Year

I think with any well written book there is always room for discussion. Classic novels are still discussed and analyzed around the world. So there is nothing to say that JKR will not tie up all the loose ends and still leave us with information to discuss. If anyone could do it, it is definitely her.

Old February 18th, 2007, 12:42 am
First Year

[quote]
Quote:
I think this is a very valid point...there is no way JKR could answer every single question that every single fan has had...although I don't think I would mind reading the book that did answer all of them! Theorizing is part of the fun, but it's also nice to see what JKR really had in mind.

Also, sorry if the quote thing is not done correctly, this is my first post

Old February 18th, 2007, 2:13 am
Second Year

Someday Someway,after all is said and done about the future-we are about to know!!!!But we can continue arguing about stuff for about forever-years of speculation do not just stop!!!!!What happens to Harry and Voldemort yes but how many bottens on the Bloody Barons vest not it will be like that!!!!

Old February 18th, 2007, 2:17 am
Second Year

I think she will leave somethings open. I do not think she will beable to close everything for everyone. We will always think of something she did not end. She said taht we would still be here trying to rethink somethings.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies