Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old February 26th, 2007, 3:56 am
Banned

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Ok, now, I'm sure everyone has atleast one family member or friend who has never read the books but go with you to see the movies and are atleast casual fans of the films.

Now, I'm asking what were they confused about in the movie and you had to explain to them?

This could be a thread where people who plan to go see the next HP movies with a muggle , prepare what they will need to tell them to truly understand the story or alteast ceertain characters and details.

Because lets face it, the last two HP movies have done a really terrible job at explaining things.

So what is your story?

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 5:19 am
Fifth Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

With PS and CoS, I didn't have to explain anything to my husband.
Then came PoA and he was asking all sorts of questions about the map, and Sirius being a dog and Peter a rat and about the "thing that came out of Harry's wand".
He decided to read GoF before seeing the movie and was glad. He has just finished OotP and has gone back to read PoA, to find out what he missed, so I have now turned him into a book reader.

Old February 26th, 2007, 5:55 am
First Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Yeah, my cousin told me to "READ THE BOOKS!" because they left so many important things out of PoA and GoF. Haven't read GoF yet but read the other ones. I'm glad she did tell me though because it helps out a lot.

Old February 26th, 2007, 6:09 am
First Year

Movies without reading??? Then its better not to watch it all all...

You've actually got to go through every pages in HP novels.. feel the magic swoops you around and finally.. watch the movie...

that is when you'll know the real pleasure watching HP movies...

Old February 26th, 2007, 9:47 am
First Year

i think you understand very well the 1st and 2nd movies plot.
the 3rd plot is a bit less well explained.
the 4th plot is HORRIBLE! somebody who haven't read the book didn't understand nothing to the movie.

My drawing can be find here: http://sekhmet-the-flame.deviantart.com/
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:16 am
Fifth Year

mum and i were talking about ootp book and we had to explain to my dad who sirus was as it was before the poa movie. he's not a great reader so he's only watching the films and gets very confused. bless him.

Last edited by beth83; March 19th, 2007 at 3:23 pm.
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:21 pm
Third Year

I have managed to get most of my non-reading friends to read the books by now hehe but the things that needed the most explaining were POA things like the map, Peter Pettigrew, and why Harry's patronus was a stag.

Old February 26th, 2007, 1:23 pm
First Year

Well, my big bro has never read any of the books, and he had troubled me a lot when we first watched GOF, asking stupid questions, especially in the scene of Prior Incantatem, "why are these figures coming out, who is this girl, Cedric became alive again??" dunno what nonsense he was talking. The GOF movie in not entirely based on book, yah the story continues, but they have made so many changes in the movie, that its like entirely different from book, instead of dobby- its neville, no winky, no mention of Bertha Jorkins, no Sirius coming in open.

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."
Old February 26th, 2007, 1:54 pm
Mrs Grawp

I had to explain the relation between the map and Lupin (marauders). I also had to explain the polyjuice thing in GoF, as well as Voldemorts general motivation for wanting Harrys blood (the protection and the sacrifice). I had to explain where the ghosts came from (in the cementary). I had to explain things about the heir of Slytherin and how it could be Tom Riddle. (in CoS).

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old February 26th, 2007, 2:02 pm
Registered Animagus

During GOF, after the Quidditch Match, I had to explain that the Irish won, even though they were cheering for Krum... hmm, can't remember anything else right now.

Old February 26th, 2007, 9:05 pm
First Year

I always tell them they have to read the books. Otherwise they are really missing out.

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:20 pm
Fourth Year

Actually most of my friends haven't read any of the books and they understand everything well. Alot of things us book fans notice they don't even think about actually and the only time I had to explain something is if I brough it up first. One thing thats really funny...yet weird..is one of my friends figured the whole Prior Incantatum thing without me explaining it. He was like "Did that happen because they have the same core like they said in the first movie?"...so nah the movies do a good job, I keep telling them there's soooo much more but they're movie fans and that's how they like it.

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:29 pm
Student

My dad has only seen the movies and I had to explain how Hermione and Harry were not going to get together.

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:40 pm
Third Year

Everything, basically. I mean, my dad pretty much get's it, but the plot points that are left out....
Anyway. I try not to explain to them about the almighty-ness of Harry Potter. My theories, and opinions/expeirences, I get from the book. It's really hard to push something on people.

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Second Year

ok, i watched the first time i watched the third one, i with my mom and dad. i was so hyped up at all the things that had gotten left out, and i kept trying to explain to them things and my irritation at them leaving thigns out. they were so frustrated with me. now i know that whenever i'm seeing one of the movies for the first time, it has to be with a true fan.
fo sho.

"Bad news, Harry. I've just been to see Professor McGonagall about the Firebolt. She — er — got a bit shirty with me. Told me I'd got my priorities wrong. Seemed to think I cared more about winning the Cup than I do about you staying alive. Just because I told her I didn't care if it threw you off, as long as you caught the Snitch first." -Oliver Wood, POA

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:50 pm
First Year

I suppose one of the biggest things that I have had to explain is why I took it so hard about Cedric Diggory. I mean to those of us who read the books, we got a good introduction to his character in PoA. The movie doesn't even use the same actor or mention that it is Cedric in that rainy quidditch match. So at the end of GoF, most non-readers thought Cedric was expendable because we didn't get to know him well enough. If you read the books, everyone who snuffs it is known well on some emotional level.

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:50 pm
Second Year

Well basicly everything. The whole why is Voldemort alive, why Harry didn't die, why is the snake not lsitening to Harry in CoS, why is the murder being nice, and the whole Barty Crouch Jr./Mad Eye Moody change, impersonation thing.

"Here you leave today, and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy" -sign outside of disney <3

Sirius' woman through and through.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:57 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandra View Post
Movies without reading??? Then its better not to watch it all all...

You've actually got to go through every pages in HP novels.. feel the magic swoops you around and finally.. watch the movie...

that is when you'll know the real pleasure watching HP movies...
but i think i enjoyed the movies more (though i had 20 bazillion questions) before i read the books, because now when i watch the movies i complain about how they miss so much of the needed info! i HATE to have to explain everything to my brother , it's so difficult and complicated...it takes a looong time for him to undesrtand everything.

Old February 27th, 2007, 2:12 am
First Year

My cousin on the other hand, is missing out in pretty much everything. First, he asked me why should there be a world quidditch cup in wizarding world... I don't really feel like answering his question. Can i just bite off his head...?

Old February 27th, 2007, 2:28 am
First Year

priori incantatem and polyjuice potion in goblet of fire, and ginny opening the chamber of secrets are the only thing i've been asked about

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies