Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

Old February 28th, 2007, 12:47 pm
Third Year

Re: The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

I have thought of that before, probably they worked at the ministry? They were in the order but I doubt they were paid for that.
I think J.K will mention it in the 7th and final book.

Old February 28th, 2007, 2:27 pm
First Year

i think it must be of importance a lot of things which are kept hidden are

Old February 28th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

What surprises me is that although Harry now knows the truth of how his parents died, he has hardly asked any questions about how they lived.

After all of this time, it is clear that he has accepted that they are gone, and how that happened. As a child I would then want to come to know them, and what kind of people they really were. He has hardly quizzed anyone linked to them. I would have had many more conversations with Dumbledore, Lupin, and Sirius while I had the chance. This would have answered many questions about how they amassed their fortune, what they did for a living, what their interests were, how they were generally viewed by friends, neighbors, and those on the fringe.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old February 28th, 2007, 4:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I was under the impression that the bulk of their wealth was inherited by James from the Potter family, so what ever made the Potter family rich, must have happened some time ago. Perhaps it was just some prudent saving over the years?

Old February 28th, 2007, 4:33 pm
Fifth Year

I always assumed that the pile of gold in Harry's account had simply gathered interest over the ten years since his parents deaths. I also think (and it's only just occured to me) that at least one of them was probably an auror - even though they were in the original Order of the Phoenix, I think it's unlikely that they would have faced Voldemort three times unless they were aurors. And that's probably a highly paid job.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old February 28th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Registered Animagus

Do we actually know whether Gringott's PAYS interest? We can assume it's like other banks, however I'm not sure on this point.

Banks pay interest because they USE your money and make money in doing so. But at Gringotts the money doesn't actually get used by Gringotts. It sits in a vault. So WHY would the goblins pay interest? Those vaults are really much more like Safety-Deposit boxes and IF you put your money in a bank's safety-deposit box it would not earn interest.

Does anyone have bk1 nearby? How was the inside of Harry's vault described? I seem to remember a lot of dust on everything - but that could be my imagination playing tricks on me. IF however, all the coins ARE dusty, then it isn't a question of piling up interest.

And JKR has said that JAMES was rich from inheritance - he didn't need a high-paying job. Considering Uncle Vernon's comment about James as unemployed I think he probably didn't have an actual job. Most probably because he was busy spending most of his time with Order business.

James most probably could not have been an auror. It all depends upon when the family went into hiding. JKR has said it was around the time Harry was christened - which should mean around the time he was born - within a month or so.

Admittedly there are people in this fandom who believe the Potters only hid once - under Fidelius in Oct'81 - but 'I' think the clues lead to them hiding around Aug/Sept'80 (with several, if not many near misses where they recieved advance warnings of attacks)

I don't want to turn this thread into another argument about WHEN the Potters went into hiding. Please let's just leave it as MY supposition.

Anyways 'I' think they began hiding in Aug/Sept'80. Auror training takes 3 years. IF the Marauders finished Hogwarts in June'77 then they (or either one) would have only been an auror for a few months at best. Lily was in her last two months of pregnancy, so SHE would be even less likely to have served as an 'active' auror.

The big question comes in WHEN did the Marauders finish Hogwarts? It seems to me that it could have been as early as June'76 and still fit some of our clues. The most difficult being that JKR said Sirius was around 22 when he went to Azkaban and finishing in June'76 would actually have him turning 23 before the Potters' deaths. But 23 and a few months IS 'around 22'.

The other clue was in Snape's age which JKR said in interview just after GoF was released was 35 or 36. GoF takes place in '94-'95 so finishing Hogwarts in '76 doesn't seem to fit with the age she stated as he would turn 37 then in Jan'95. However, it still fits because Snape would then have been 36 in the beginning of GoF.

So - it IS possible that they finished in '76 - which does fit in with Snape apparently belonging to a group of Slytherins that included Bella. IF Snape finished in '76 then he COULD have been a first year while Bella was a 7th year.

What this all means is that James & Lily COULD have finished Auror training in time to have actually worked as aurors during the year Lily was pregnant. I tend to think their 3 defiances came more from work for the Order than for the Aurors...but it IS possible. But it would mean that Lily was pregnant at the time.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old February 28th, 2007, 5:37 pm
First Year

I don't think that either one of them were Aurors by profession, as it's almost certain that someone would have told Harry about that, given how open his ambition to become an Auror is. Their encounters with LV can be explained by their membership in the original Order of the Phoenix and their high profile in the Wizarding world during the era of Voldemort.

I am inclined to think that James came from a very wealthy family, and much of the wealth he inherited was preserved due to the Potters' relatively modest lifestyle - I can't imagine them as flamboyant or excessive despite their obvious amount of money. Also, life insurance policies (probably taken out prior to LV's original reign of terror) along with more than a decade of interest (that's probably fairly high given the possible connection to Gringotts) would have added to that significantly.

I don't think James had a job, and I doubt Lily had one either, though if she did it was probably something fairly lax and interesting where the pay wasn't an issue.

Old February 28th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Second Year

I am surprised that no one has brought this up, and I will admit that having posted/discussed this elsewhere I have been informed (but never shown proper canon evidence, that JKR dismissed the idea...

Being that they lived at "Godric's Hollow", and the fact that Rowling has gone out of her way to show the similarities between Voldemort (the heir of Slytherin) and harry, could James be descended from "Godric" Gryffindor, thus Harry is possibly the last remaining descendant of Gryffindor and that would be where the mountain of wealth came from. In addition, if this is correct, would Harry own Godric's Hollow?

-Storsy-

Old February 28th, 2007, 6:12 pm
Fifth Year

i think that as his parents lived there and left him everything they had when they died, he should technically own it now
And that's a great theory, it could be true. I know we find out something about lily in the book, but i don't know if it's that

everyone should look like him
Old February 28th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Didn’t Jo once tell us that James came into an inheritance and so he didn’t work? That makes sense since his parents are obviously dead.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:56 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storsy View Post
I am surprised that no one has brought this up, and I will admit that having posted/discussed this elsewhere I have been informed (but never shown proper canon evidence, that JKR dismissed the idea...

Being that they lived at "Godric's Hollow", and the fact that Rowling has gone out of her way to show the similarities between Voldemort (the heir of Slytherin) and harry, could James be descended from "Godric" Gryffindor, thus Harry is possibly the last remaining descendant of Gryffindor and that would be where the mountain of wealth came from. In addition, if this is correct, would Harry own Godric's Hollow?

-Storsy-
It's an interesting theory, and I certainly can see how it would make sense, but I also think that if that were the case, JKR could not have avoided mentioning it in one of the books by now. That would be the first thing on my mind to tell Harry if he asked about his parents, as he has on multiple occasions, not to mention I'd think that someone would have told him when he was first Sorted into Gryffindor.

Aside from that, though, it could make sense. Buckbeak is sort of like a griffin (ish, anyway), and what you said about the many parallels between LV and Harry apply here as well.

Old March 1st, 2007, 12:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalli View Post
I remember reading somewhere (the main site I think)that a relative of James Potter invented the Golden Snitch and that they were living on his inheritance passed down through the generations.

You are right, Bowman Wright is most likely James' ancestor. Some people may refute this idea because he was just another guy that lived in Godric's Hollow. However, in Snape's worst memory, we see that a young James, a Chaser in Quidditch, is playing with a snitch rather skillfully. Obviously he has played with these before his 1st year and he probably has a stockpile of them if he so carelessly carries a flying snitch around that could easily fly away.

Old March 1st, 2007, 4:45 pm
Second Year

Rictasempra,

Actually, if memory serves, when asked by Sirius where he got that snitch he was playing with James responded that he stole it. That goes against the idea that he has "a stockpile" of them somewhere. Also I am pretty sure that the in the pensieve memory we saw it was not his "1st year" and more likely his 5th or 6th.

Also it is quite possible that Rowling is saving the idea that Harry is the sole remaining descendant of Godric Gryffindor for the last book. It's very possible that the only ones who may know this would be DD and maybe McGonigal. Possibly this was never discussed, even back when James was going to school, in an attempt to protect him. Since Slytherin and Gryffindor were at odds with each other I would imagine that any supporter of Slytherin would be more than willing to kill off the boodline of Gryffindor.

-Storsy-

Old March 1st, 2007, 4:53 pm
Inconceivable!

I know that this seems to be a rather boring answer, but I seem to remember someone asking JK Rowling why she made Harry so rich. I think her answer had something to do with the fact that she struggled with money issues herself, and didn't want Harry to have to go through that. I'll see if I can find the quote. Along the same lines, but off topic - she gave Harry glasses becasue she wore glasses as a child and wanted to have a hero who wore glasses. Plus, it made him a little more vulnerable.

Besides, now Harry can carry on his role of saving the world without having to work a nine to five job to pay the rent.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 1:33 am
First Year

I was just thinking about this topic. I am re-reading PoA and I was thinking about the invisibility cloak. Ron said, when Harry first got it for Christmas, that it was very rare...a.k.a. expensive. Rare things usually are. So, if it was his father's either a.) it was passed down to James from an elder family member or b.) it was bought for him.

This leads me to believe in either case that James' family was wealthy. James probably didn't have to work. Draco's from a wealthy family and his dad doesn't work...he just goes around manipulating the MoM. Well, on the flip side of that coin, James could have gone around trying to help the MoM.

This thread has made me think about how the Potters "thrice defied" Voldemort. Could it have been their activity in the Order or their occupation?

Old March 2nd, 2007, 2:34 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgillyweed View Post
....James probably didn't have to work. Draco's from a wealthy family and his dad doesn't work...he just goes around manipulating the MoM. Well, on the flip side of that coin, James could have gone around trying to help the MoM.
I actually think that James was trying to influence the MoM in a similar manner to Lucius - providing money for influence. Back in CoS we have Lucius complaining about the Potters - telling Harry he would someday come to the same 'sticky end' as his parents. That has always sounded to me as if Luicus had to deal with James and Lily 'personally' on occasion.

BTW - JKR did pretty blow the Godric's heir idea for Harry in her interview upon the release of HBP:
Quote:
Anelli, Melissa and Emerson Spartz. "The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.

JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah.

MA: Another one bites the dust.

[Laughter]

JKR: Well, there you go. See, I'm aware that “Half-Blood Prince” will not delight everyone, because it does shoot down some theories. I mean, if it didn't, I haven't done my job right. A few people won't particularly like it, and a lot of people aren't going to like the death very much, but that was always what was planned to come.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.

Last edited by hwyla; March 2nd, 2007 at 2:39 am.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 3:19 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I'm sure they couldnt have sold the house because it was blown to bits. However, the money could've been passed from their family. Perhaps James was distantly related to Godric Gryffindor?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 2nd, 2007, 7:17 am
Third Year

I may be the one who started the rumor that the Potter wealth came from the invention of the mechanical Snitch. A while back I asked whether it seemed too big of a coincidence that JKR used Goderic's Hollow as the site of bothe the Potter's death and the invention of the mechanical Snitch. It wouldn't be the first clue to come from one of the Comic Relief books.

It is interesting that when Aunt MArge asks what HArry's father did for a living, Petunia is a little uncomfortable saying that he did not work. She may just be ashamed at the thought. or she may not know what he really did (the Dursleys seem surprised that HArry has any assets) or if she did know, it may not have been the sort of thing which she could translate into a Muggle profession. At the same time, to be coherent with her overall view of the Potters, what ever job they said would have to be beneath contempt. For example, an Auror could be described as a police officer. But the Dursleys would not to suggest James deserved so much respect. Some one who did not work in a traditional job would be pretty low on their list.

But I think it is more likely that Petunia did not know much about their life. She would not want to know. But she would not want to tell anyone she did n't know her Brother in law's profession, so she made up the lowest that she could.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 8:48 am
Fifth Year

Actually, this brings up two points....first, the gold. Well there was a lot wasn't there! Second, how come everyone knew 'The Potters'..In the street, when Vernon walked by, all the 'odd' people were whispering about 'The Potters'........? What did they do to command such attention!

Old March 3rd, 2007, 3:15 pm
Registered Animagus

I might be mis-remembering, but wasn't one of the people Vernon overheard really short? The one who told Vernon that 'even muggles like you should celebrate' (paraphrased)? I think I need to re-look at the book. I kind of thought Diggle was one of the people Vernon overheard - of course that might have been just because Minerva mentioned him and I blended it all together.

Otherwise, I would think that the Potter NAME (as opposed to James and Lily in particular) was probably familar to ALL of the Wizarding World - much like Malfoy and Black - just because it had been a 'pureblood' name. James and Lily MIGHT have been well-known particularly BECAUSE James had married a muggle-born in the midst of a bloodist war.

Then again, their wealth MIGHT have made them akin to celebrity status - you know - every little thing they did got into the papers? IF so, then it might have been quite newsworthy that they seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth a week earlier.

IF they HAD been in the papers for that week then imagine the gossip about them as 'missing'. Then to find out they were dead at the end of the week they had been 'newsworthy' for being 'missing'? I think they would have been rather well known on the gossip circuit of the time.

If Voldy had not disappeared with their deaths, then their names might not have been remembered outside their circle of friends after the gossip died down. Then they would have been just one couple among many to disappear and turn up dead.

Last edited by hwyla; March 3rd, 2007 at 3:26 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives