Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:08 pm
Second Year

Re: The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

Well, another question is raised: how old were Lily and James when they died? Assuming they married after graduation, how much time would they have had to settle down, James to establish himself in a good-paying career, and to save all that?

I think James was part of an "old money" family, like the Malfoys and the Blacks, who had the name and the money to go with it. I guess James was left with all the riches from several generations.

"As you can see, hi. My name is not Lance and Iím not an addict." --- Bolshoi Booze

"Iíve changed. In a really bad way. To the point where I donít even know whatís good and bad anymore." --- Wash

--- Paul Kellerman

Other FAVORITE Quotes:

""If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills." ---- Dr. Greg House, House

"How did I get bridesmaids? Freaking stupid cotton candy colored bridesmaids?" ---- Christina Yang, Grey's Anatomy

http://www.chicklitbkwm.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:19 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklitbkwm View Post
Well, another question is raised: how old were Lily and James when they died? Assuming they married after graduation, how much time would they have had to settle down, James to establish himself in a good-paying career, and to save all that?
JKR said that Sirius was around 22 when he was sent to Azkaban, so Lily and James would be the same age when they died. This makes it extremely unlikely that they could have had time to establish themselves in well-paying careers since many of the jobs in the magical world also require additional years of training prior to working.

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Second Year

Several interesting points that have caught my attention reaading this:

1) What did the Potters do, and why has it never been mentioned or why has Harry never asked?

Surely when looking into a career he would have asked what his parents did. . . .Lupin (maybe Sirius . . timeline is a bit hazy) would have been able to tell him. Or were his parents in the Order and that was that?

2) The significance of Godric Hollow.....was this not where his parents went into hiding?? So they should have another house somewhere . . .

Generally, i think that the money would be explained very simply by inherited wealth through generations. (sorry to have repeated similar ques which i now realise someone just below has put).

As for timelines . . .im not sure exactly, but i believe on another thread some one was discussing timelines (maybe someone could link it ??)

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:47 pm
First Year

He probably did recieve a good chunk of change from the Potter side of the family. I also wonder how much money in his gringotts bank was donated? Look, if someone farts in a crowded bus and 5 people take ill and die from it sometimes families start up memorial funds or ask that instead of sending flowers make a contribution. Who knows but JKR? I can totally imagine wizars and witches from around the country/world donate gallons of galleons to Harry, orphaned, alone, the boy who lived.

This added with probably getting a full ride for free to hogwarts via dumbledore himself has probably saved him a good chunk of change in his savings. A free snowy owl as a birthday present. Two free expensive brooms assisted a little bit in extending the life of his gringotts account. And now the considerable amount of gold added and the value of a manner to his account from his godfather.

Dumbledors will is still out there and has not been read yet... who knows in many other ways how his account will grow!

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:56 pm
Second Year

Ah . . . yes when Sirius died we know that Harry inherited a considerable amount of money to add to his already substantial accoutn (i believe DD said words along those lines)....

I can't imagine DD leaving Harry money but i can imagine there will be something for him (GG's sword perhaps . . .)

Old March 5th, 2007, 4:25 am
Inconceivable!

I think JKR has left the readers in the dark about Lily's job, because it may have a connection to the plot, a connection she will FINALLY reveal in DH. Besides, Lily had a baby, maybe she was staying at home with him.

Old March 5th, 2007, 5:53 am
Third Year

I was just wondering about Lily maybe having a job. We were told that James had inherited money and didn't need one, but maybe Lily worked somewhere and it could be important in some way.

Old March 5th, 2007, 9:29 pm
First Year

Lily's job will be important everyone says she was very talented, and didn't JKR say we would find out, maybe she worked in the DOM

Old March 6th, 2007, 5:28 am
Third Year

I remember reading or hearing that JKR said or mention that James family had money. I also remember reading that it wasn't important to the plot. I am writing what I remember. I think it might have been easier to say that so that the story line could move along.
I think that it would have been horrible if Harry didn't have any money and his parents were killed. That is such to sad. He has money and he will be able to live off of that for a while. Al least until he finds Voldy and kills him.

Dumbledore's Girl through and through.

Hay que evitar la fatiga. ~Noemi~

°Viva la causa! ~Cesar Chavez~

I love The Beatles!

I love U2!

Old March 6th, 2007, 5:44 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceFO View Post
I think the money is from James' parents - passed down, I'm guessing they could of been Aurors? (Did I spell that right?) and I think Lily worked in the DoM, just a thought. Didn't Jo say James didn't need to work, because he had money passed down from his parents, but that doesn't stop Lily working does it?
I don't think it would stop James from working either. Just because he didn't have to work, doesn't mean that he didn't work. I can't really see James sitting around the house all day doing nothing. Of course it is possible that since they didnt need to work, Lily and James could dedicate all of their time to the order. I always kind of figured they were somehow working for the ministry. Everyone in the new Order either works in the ministry or at hogwarts, and since his parents didn't work at hogwarts, they must have had some sort of ministry job.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 6th, 2007, 1:53 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixashe View Post
I don't think it would stop James from working either. Just because he didn't have to work, doesn't mean that he didn't work. I can't really see James sitting around the house all day doing nothing. Of course it is possible that since they didnt need to work, Lily and James could dedicate all of their time to the order. I always kind of figured they were somehow working for the ministry. Everyone in the new Order either works in the ministry or at hogwarts, and since his parents didn't work at hogwarts, they must have had some sort of ministry job.
I think we need to remember that the Order is different than it was before. I can easily see the young people like the Marauders devoting ALL of their time to the Order (or taking jobs that would not interfere with Order work). At the time they left Hogwarts the war was in full swing - and had been going on for at least 6 years - possibly 8.

In the current books, those working in the ministry were already working there. Additionally, the ministry is not 'approving' of the Order or Albus - when they probably looked much more favorably at the Order in VW1. The Order needed to know what was going on in the Ministry and to influence the 'search' for Sirius - so in the current Order ministry workers were necessary, but also needed to be secretive. In VW1, the ministry and the Order might have been working together and then the Order would not have needed Ministry workers or aurors. At the same time, IF true, then those who were in the Order and the Ministry would not need to keep it secret.

Anyways - they MAY have worked at the Ministry, but the jobs of the current Order is probably not necessarily similar to the jobs of the past Order. And even in the current Order, we don't know what many of the members do for a job - and many of those people (Vance, Podmore, Jones, Diggle, etc.) apparently worked in the Order in the first go around. So, perhaps it only seems as if alot of Order members work for the Ministry because those are the only members whose jobs we know.

I will say that it seems unlikely that even IF James did not have a 'job' that he was sitting around doing nothing. There would have been a lot for anyone to do if they were in the Order.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old March 7th, 2007, 4:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyla View Post
. And even in the current Order, we don't know what many of the members do for a job - and many of those people (Vance, Podmore, Jones, Diggle, etc.) apparently worked in the Order in the first go around. So, perhaps it only seems as if alot of Order members work for the Ministry because those are the only members whose jobs we know.
Ooh I forgot about them. Yeah then you're probably right. Podmore, Jones and Diggle could really be working anywhere. I wonder if Wizards are allowed to have like normal muggle jobs. I know they put Shacklebolt into the Ministry office, I wonder if other Wizards have jobs in the muggle world as well. Ha could you imagine Mr. Weasely working in an electronics store?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:17 pm
Second Year

I tend to think all the money is from being a pureblood family. Almost all of then seem to have heaps of cash just lying around. Also, maybe James didnt need to work or have a well paying job like JKR said. This does raise a new question for me though: How did all these pureblood family's get all this money?

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.
Old March 18th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklitbkwm View Post

I think James was part of an "old money" family, like the Malfoys and the Blacks, who had the name and the money to go with it. I guess James was left with all the riches from several generations.
I think so, as well. If I remember it correct, James came from a "pure-blood" family (most of them wealthy, like Malfoys and Blacks), but he married the muggleborn Lily Evans, this probably making his lastname losing its "status" among those DE followers. That, and the fact that he opposed LV. But still, it wouldn't surprise me if the Potter family line comes from Gryffindors own. It would be expected, since LV is the heir of Slytherin, while Harry is the one from Gryffindor. (why else would it be mentioned that Gryffindor and Slytherin had a fight, where Slytherin left the school?) I think Gryffindor had huge wealth, just like Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Hufflepuff. Then again, it could as well be another explanation for the Potters wealth, but we've yet to be given one.

Old March 18th, 2007, 4:07 pm
First Year

I believe that the Potters are the decendents of Gryffindor. As many have said in many previous posts, the money is old and has been handed down through generations. I also picked up on that in COS after Harry killed the basilisk and was talking to DD. DD noted on pg. 334 in my version:

"Only a true Gryffindor could have pulled that out of the hat, Harry."

He was referencing the Gryffindor sword and the fact that only an heir could have pulled a sword out of the hat rather than something else. I think that it will come down to Slytherin vs. Gryffindor in the end much like it did when Slytherin left Hogwarts those many years ago.

Old March 18th, 2007, 4:15 pm
First Year

They might have delt "wizard drugs" -- or maybe not. You know, its a possibility.

Team Voldemort
Everytime you spoil, God kills a kitten
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1771 View Post
Actually, this brings up two points....first, the gold. Well there was a lot wasn't there! Second, how come everyone knew 'The Potters'..In the street, when Vernon walked by, all the 'odd' people were whispering about 'The Potters'........? What did they do to command such attention!
well, I'm pretty sure their only child just defied the most potent Dark Wizard of all time.

That aside, I'm pretty sure the entire western European magical world is rather closely-knit, and James and Lily seem to have had exceptional academic, social, extracurricular, and athletic careers at the centerpoint of the western European magical world, Hogwarts.

But back to the topic...
So one theory states some sort of Auror work by one or both parents, so does Aurors just make crazy bank?

I am personally inclined to think that James was just a rich boy, as others have suggested.

Old March 19th, 2007, 12:10 am
Seventh Year

The Potters (James parents) were of old money similar to the Malfoyís , Blacks etc. James clearly didnít need a stable well paying job, I still think he worked I cant see him not doing anything for 4 or 5 years after leaving school.

James and Lily died when they were 21 or 22 when they died. Jo said Sirius was sent to prison when he was 22 however the age would depend on their birthday. Had Sirius just turned 22 if he was sent to prison in November, or was he going to turn 23 early the next year. Because of their ages when they died I have to doubt they were Aurors. Tonks is 21 or 22 when we meet her in OOTP and she had only been a working Auror for about a year so she qualified at 20 or 21. When we take into account that James and Lily were Tonks age (when we meet her) when they died, not to mentioned they were in hiding for over a year (age 20 or 21) before they were killed this position seems doubtfully unless one of them was in Aurors school but because of events had to discontinue. As many have said I think Harry would have been told if his parents were in the field of work he is considering pursuing even if as I said above they had to drop out of the program before they were full-fledged.

Old March 19th, 2007, 8:20 pm
First Year

I would have to guess that the Potters had old money, due to James never being accused of not being a pure blood. However I do think that both James and Lilly were Unspeakables for the Department of Mysteries and that probally kept the money flowing in too.

Old March 20th, 2007, 11:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I believe that the Potters are the decendents of Gryffindor.
Very good theory ,but JKR said in the interview with Emerson and Milissa that The Potters aren't related to Gryffindor.

I wonder how far up the social chain the Potters were, my impression was that it was the Black's but I could be wrong, still the Potters had to be at least somewhat well known in the wizarding community because they didn't lose there money like the Gaunts, and James did seem popular at school (ofcourse it could have been because of his whole jock thing) Did the nobility of the family contribute to the wealth they had,or was it the other way around? I dont know maybe i'm way off just let me know what you think.

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.

Last edited by missbrunettgirl; March 21st, 2007 at 10:11 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives