Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

Old May 29th, 2007, 7:28 pm
First Year

Re: The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

The Gaunts didn't have money because, as Dumbledore said in HBP, "Lack of sense coupled with a great liking for grandeur meant the family gold was squandered several generations before Marvolo (the last descendant of Slytherin other than Morfin/Voldemort) was born."

The Potters, who were a pure-blood family as well, had money and they kept it throughout the generations because they were wiser and more conservative, methinks.

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:12 am
Third Year

All the Money that Lily inherited from her parents, she probaly traded them in for wizarding money(is that what you call it?). I did hear that a reliative of the Potters created the snitch or somthing,and the money got passed down.That is why they are rch. Also James probaly inherited the money from his parents.

I belive reading that the Potters were Aurors

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old May 30th, 2007, 3:58 am
First Year

I have always wondered about this, as well!

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating here, but could it be possible that Harry was a decendent of Godric Griffendor?

They live in Godric's Hollow, noone seems to know how they got all of that money (and as it was pointed out earlier, JK sometimes has a way of ommitting these things on purpose). Also, I keep remembering Griffendor's sword and how Harry had been able to produce it against the basklisk.

It would also make sense to me that, if Harry were Griffendor's ansistor, he would have been chosen by LV as more of a threat than Neville, in relation to the prophesy.

I know this may be a little far-fetched... any thoughts?

Old May 30th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Registered Animagus

We actually do not have canon that they 'lived' in Godric's Hollow. We only know that when they hid under the Fidelius they were in a house in Godric's Hollow. That was only for a week. And we have no idea whether it was their OWN house or not.

Hasn't JKR shut down the 'Heir of Gryffindor' theory?

Quote:
The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005 - Melissa Anelli and Emerson Spartz

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.

JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah.

MA: Another one bites the dust.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old June 1st, 2007, 2:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Anelli, Melissa and Emerson Spartz. "The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.

JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah.

MA: Another one bites the dust.

[Laughter]

JKR: Well, there you go. See, I'm aware that “Half-Blood Prince” will not delight everyone, because it does shoot down some theories. I mean, if it didn't, I haven't done my job right. A few people won't particularly like it, and a lot of people aren't going to like the death very much, but that was always what was planned to come.

Hmmm...I don't see how the Heir to Godric Gryffindor theory is shut down at all. The interviewer was the one who asked if the theory was shut down, and the question seemed to come out of the blue; J.K. might have just been playing along.

My theory is that James Potter is indeed the heir of Gryffindor, and that he left the Invisibility Cloak with Dumbledore as well as Gryffindor's sword, and Dumbledore needed the Invisibility Cloak in order to protect the sword, because he had a sneaking suspicion that Voldemort really wanted it.

But, knowing, J.K. Rowling, there will always be twists, so here is the second part of the theory:

A long time ago (maybe a hundred years ago?) the last heir of Gryffindor is dying. He is a half-blood, because Gryffindor probably didn't care if his descendants married Muggles, and probably encouraged it.

But he knows a poor pureblood family, and they are very close (kind of like Harry and the Weasleys today). The last heir of Gryffindor knows that they'll never take money that he offers to them directly, so in his last will, he leaves everything of his to them, and the poor family now becomes rich.

The family is called Potter, and three generations later, James is born, and he marries a Muggle-born (Lily), which is more of what Godric Gryffindor would have wanted to happen. James becomes able to wield Godric's sword, and he moves to Godric's Hollow, which is where Godric Gryffindor initially lived.

Any thoughts?

Old June 2nd, 2007, 4:14 pm
First Year

I like that idea! How many times has Harry said (or thought) that he would give the Weasly's his money, if they would take it? Altough, is also possible that the families married (like Harry and Ginny- that's right, I'm not giving up on them!)

I don't think that JK's interview completely shuts down the Heir theory. It seems more like he wasn't, in the context of HBP. She did kind of pause, like she wanted to make sure that she wasn't lying.

I just feel like that money had to be inherited... there is never a mention of Harry's parent's jobs- and that doesn't seem right. I suppose that James' family could have just been rich- good investing or something, but that's no fun! Also, it makes sense to me why Voldemort would chose Harry over Neville as being more of a threat if Harry were Gryffendor's heir. Voldemort was big into bloodlines!

Old June 13th, 2007, 8:52 pm
Deslumbrante

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I think the Potter's large inheritance comes in two parts.

1. They are an old Wizarding family, and their gold has accumulated through time. They were wise with their money and invested it or saved it and allowed it to accrue interest at Gringotts. Assuming that at least some of the family members had jobs at some point or another (hasn't JKR said James and Lily were employed?), then they would have kept adding money to the vault with their paychecks.

2. The Potter's ancestors created the Snitch. In rereading Quidditch Through the Ages, I noticed that Bowman Wright, the inventor of the Snitch, was from Godric's Hallow. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have noticed this, but JKR doesn't do anything without a reason, and I think it would be too coincidental for the Potters to be living in the same place as the inventor of the Snitch and not have it mean something.

Anyway, that's just my two cents worth, but I personally think both are very plausible theories.

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old June 14th, 2007, 3:06 am
First Year

I have two reasons why i think that the potters are rich.

1) First i think that james inhareted money from his parents and other family. I think that becaus that he was the last potter in his family besides harry and now james has died harry has all the money.

2) Second i think that lily was an unspeakable and was payed alot.

Well monkey's eat bananas which grow on trees and trees grow cherries too. And George Washington chopped down a cherry tree. Therefore, George Washington was a monkey

This Quote was originaly typed by Markle
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:26 pm
First Year

Just because the Potters are an old wizarding family doesn't necessarily mean that they are rich. Look at the Weasleys - I wonder if there's a good reason the Weasleys are poor( besides that they're blood traitors)?? I hope so.

Old June 15th, 2007, 2:57 am
Second Year

Quote:
Just because the Potters are an old wizarding family doesn't necessarily mean that they are rich. Look at the Weasleys - I wonder if there's a good reason the Weasleys are poor( besides that they're blood traitors)?? I hope so.
Very good asumption on the Weasleys I wonder why they are poor compared to the other pure blood families. Maybe the money has something to do with how much status you have in the eyes of the pb families.

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.
Old June 15th, 2007, 3:00 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Just because the Potters are an old wizarding family doesn't necessarily mean that they are rich. Look at the Weasleys....
True - however, Harry's vault full of gold was inherited from his parents - as per Hagrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/SS/bk1
"I haven't got any money — and you heard Uncle Vernon last night. . . he won't pay for me to go and learn magic."
"Don't worry about that," said Hagrid, standing up and scratching his head. "D'yeh think yer parents didn't leave yeh anything?"
"But if their house was destroyed —"
"They didn' keep their gold in the house, boy! Nah, first stop fer us is Gringotts. Wizards' bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/SS/bk1
Griphook unlocked the door. A lot of green smoke came billowing out, and as it cleared, Harry gasped. Inside were mounds of gold coins. Columns of silver. Heaps of little bronze Knuts. "All yours," smiled Hagrid.
All Harry's — it was incredible. The Dursleys couldn't have known about this or they'd have had it from him faster than blinking. How often had they complained how much Harry cost them to keep? And all the time there had been a small fortune belonging to him, buried deep under London.
And JKR has specifically said that James came from money and so didn't 'need' a high-paying job
Quote:
America Online chat transcript, AOL.com, 19 October 2000
What did James and Lily Potter do when they were alive?
Well, I can't go into too much detail, because you're going to find out in future books. But James inherited plenty of money, so he didn't need a well-paid profession. You'll find out more about both Harry's parents later.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old August 6th, 2007, 5:03 pm
Second Year

I believe James Potter's dad was rich, and therefore James got the fortune. I hardly doubt those money was earned by James becuz he died at around 21.

Make sure to leave Suggestions, etc. here!!
Old August 6th, 2007, 7:24 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by America Online chat transcript, AOL.com, 19 October 2000
What did James and Lily Potter do when they were alive?
Well, I can't go into too much detail, because you're going to find out in future books. But James inherited plenty of money, so he didn't need a well-paid profession. You'll find out more about both Harry's parents later.
Yeah, well we didnt found out though . But yes, i really think the Potters worked for the Minisitry, maybe Aurors, but they were wealthy beacuase of James family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny_freak View Post
I have two reasons why i think that the potters are rich.

1) First i think that james inhareted money from his parents and other family. I think that becaus that he was the last potter in his family besides harry and now james has died harry has all the money.

2) Second i think that lily was an unspeakable and was payed alot.
Why do you think Lily was an unspeakable???

Old August 6th, 2007, 8:22 pm
First Year

I personally don't think the Potters were decendents of Gryfinndor.It's possible but not enough evidence.

Dumbledore explained that only a true Grfyfindor could have pulled the sword out of the hat,which is why Nevelle pulled it out of the hat and killed Voldie's snake(her name escapes me for the moment).So that doesn't mean that Harry is a decendant,just means he was a good Gryfindor

The invisibiltiy cloak came to Harry because he was a decendant of one of the three brothers of the Deathly Hallows(can't think of his name either).So the invisibility cloak wasn't Godric's.

And Godric's Grotto was just a village named in his honer,i don't think they are descendents just because they lived there.

"....then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before,and Harry was kissing her back,and it was blissful oblivion,...,she was the only real thing in the world,Ginny,the feel of her,one hand at her back and one in her long,sweet-smelling hair-
The door banged open behind them and they jumped apart.
"Oh,"said Ron pointedly."Sorry."----DH pg 116
LOL!
Old August 6th, 2007, 9:28 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxley View Post
I personally don't think the Potters were decendents of Gryfinndor.It's possible but not enough evidence.

Dumbledore explained that only a true Grfyfindor could have pulled the sword out of the hat,which is why Nevelle pulled it out of the hat and killed Voldie's snake(her name escapes me for the moment).So that doesn't mean that Harry is a decendant,just means he was a good Gryfindor

The invisibiltiy cloak came to Harry because he was a decendant of one of the three brothers of the Deathly Hallows(can't think of his name either).So the invisibility cloak wasn't Godric's.

And Godric's Grotto was just a village named in his honer,i don't think they are descendents just because they lived there.
I think you posted in the wrong tipic

Old August 7th, 2007, 2:09 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxley View Post

Isnt there a spoiler in there?!

I would really like it for Harry to be Godric's heir, but I just really dont see that happening.
I think James inherited all the money, why? Because JKR said so, so shush

Last edited by PeerlessKid; August 7th, 2007 at 2:18 am.
Old August 7th, 2007, 4:23 am
Banned

J.K.R. said that James inherited his money, and that it was enough so that he and Lily wouldn't have to work.

Old August 7th, 2007, 4:51 am
Third Year

inheritance, IIRC.

she's said in a recent interview that Harry is not a founders descendant.

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old August 7th, 2007, 8:29 am
Third Year

Oh wow, I'm sorry but this must be the most over-asked question on this forum. James inherited the money...he came from a wealthy pure-blood family. JK said it herself.

Old August 31st, 2007, 8:06 pm
Third Year

Yh I think Jo pretty much closed the qustion by telling us that he inherited it all

But the question still yet remains as to how the Potters got so rich? I think it's basically the fact that its a Pure Blood family, they go way back and acumulated loads and loads of gold

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives