Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Ron and Hermione - Where to from here? v6

Old March 9th, 2007, 9:43 pm
MODLY CREW

Ron and Hermione - Where to from here? v6

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

Welcome to the sixth installment of this thread!

version one
version two
version three
version four
version five

Thread Rules
1. Please treat other members with respect. There will be no bashing of other members or their ideas. If you disagree with somone please provide canon evidence and do so without condescension or bickering.
2. No character bashing. You can say "I believe Sirius/Snape/the Giant Squid acted in such and such way in this scene" but please do not make blanket statements about any of the characters like "Snape is an evil slimy git" or "Sirius is a vain loser"
3. We are prohibiting the use of non-canon sources in this thread. Non-canon sources include song lyrics, fiction by other authors, historical events etc.
4. Staff reserves the right to ban members from this thread either permanently or temporarily if we feel they are not following these rules. You will be given a warning via owl or via official warning points before you are asked to leave the thread.

Please remember that this isn't a thread for discussing shipping -- it's for hypothesising about Ron and Hermione's relationship ... or lack thereof.

last few posts of version four:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post

Well, it has a bit of a different tone in the movie than the similar scene did in HBP. So it is still possible for them to include that in the movie for HBP as well. They would just have to use a different tone - less of a joking manner and more like how it appeared in HBP. And we still have the hospital wing to look forward too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
As well as anything they might decide to add. There was quite a bit added in the PoA movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post

Exactly. And they know some more close calls can follow with what they are up to now.

It would get kind of unbelievable if JKR dragged it out much longer. I see the wedding as the latest point in time for Ron and Hermione to get together. I mean, who could resist such a romantic setting with all the Love is in the Air.

Apart from that, I still see no reason why JKR should wait with having Ron and Hermione getting together. It would not further the plot to have them apart, neither would it further character development. We have already had that in the first six books. I think it could strengthen them and as such make them even more valuable for Harry and the Horcrux hunt, when they are together. They would both get a confidence boost and the UT would not get into their way anymore. And we have seen in HBP with Tonks what unrequitited love can cause. A weakening of magical skills. And who would want that?

I think the fear that held them back is resolved for the most part by the end of HBP. Before that, Ron and Hermione firstly had to come to terms with their own feelings and then they were very unsure whether the other felt the same. Now, I think, they know that the other has feelings for them. It just lacks the last small step. A small step for Ron and Hermione, a huge leap for HP readers.

By the end of HBP, Ron and Hermione have come to terms with what they mean to each other. I donīt think they have any insecurities about their own feelings for the other any longer. There is only a very minor uncertainty left about whether the other one is willing to start a relationship. I donīt expect DH to be so prevalent with romance as HBP. The sixth was the book to deal with the shipping issues. The pairings are clear. What has to be done is just Ron and Hermione getting together and Harry and Ginny getting back together, but we wonīt see much of their romantic relationship onpage.

Wonderful post, meesha. And a very wise advice of you grandmotherīs. But tell me, how young was she when she married?

But it is true. I donīt think Ron and Hermione will die anyway, but they donīt know that of course. They would think about how horrible it will be, when one of them dies and they never had time together, they had denied themselves a relationship waiting for a future that now would never come.
If he was real and we asked Harry, if he would prefer he never had the few weeks with Ginny, I am sure he would say no.

May I post that theory over on the Horcrux thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
Exactly, and it's worse on Hermione who could quite possibly have lost him already, and they hadn't been getting along at all. I cannot see them waiting until the end, it would just not make sense.

Please continue!

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Ron and Hermione - Where to from here? v6

I think JKR has set up the last scenes in HBP to put Ron and Hermione in position to discuss their feelings for each other fairly early in DH. The final pages of HBP showed Hermione and Ron crying in each other's arms, Ron asking permission from Hermione to chastise his brother, and Hermione speaking for both of them. Those are all the signs of an established couple.

If JKR doesn't have Ron and Hermione speak about their relationship in the aftermath of all that, she'll just have to set it up again. She would have wasted the ending of HBP in terms of resolving Ron and Hermione's relationship, and she doesn't do that very often.

I think it will be resolved on the train.

I'm just wild about Harry

Proud but Surprised Owner of an OUTSTANDING on the Level 3 W.O.M.B.A.T.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm
Second Year

I have been pondering on one thing for a while. Will Ron and Hermione come clean with their feelings at the wedding, or admitting it afterwards. I somehow don't think the wedding, romantic opportunities or not, will serve as the best place, with Fleur and Bill in the spotlight, and a possible Harry/Ginny confrontation that might steal the chapter (it's from Harrys view, after all). I just don't know which chapter the BIG moment will take part in, and right now, it doesn't feel that important, since I don't need to know.

I can only hope that it will be a great scene, worthy of the six years of waiting, bickering and arguing that we followed them through.

Old March 9th, 2007, 10:32 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kaine View Post
I have been pondering on one thing for a while. Will Ron and Hermione come clean with their feelings at the wedding, or admitting it afterwards. I somehow don't think the wedding, romantic opportunities or not, will serve as the best place, with Fleur and Bill in the spotlight, and a possible Harry/Ginny confrontation that might steal the chapter (it's from Harrys view, after all). I just don't know which chapter the BIG moment will take part in, and right now, it doesn't feel that important, since I don't need to know.

I can only hope that it will be a great scene, worthy of the six years of waiting, bickering and arguing that we followed them through.
Me too!!! Although I think JKR likes them about as much as we do, so I am sure there will be something nice - just not too much, because as you said it is Harry's POV after all!

Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.
- Tom Krause

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.
- Winnie the Pooh
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
I think JKR has set up the last scenes in HBP to put Ron and Hermione in position to discuss their feelings for each other fairly early in DH. The final pages of HBP showed Hermione and Ron crying in each other's arms, Ron asking permission from Hermione to chastise his brother, and Hermione speaking for both of them. Those are all the signs of an established couple.

If JKR doesn't have Ron and Hermione speak about their relationship in the aftermath of all that, she'll just have to set it up again. She would have wasted the ending of HBP in terms of resolving Ron and Hermione's relationship, and she doesn't do that very often.

I agree. Initially, I thought it would be during the wedding, but then I saw the quote from Time magazine where Jo said she "cues up" the final scene from HBP at the beginning of DH. I started thinking about the timing of it and it just didn't work out. HBP showed them getting out of school about a month early. Since the wedding was being planned the summer before, it is unlikely that it was scheduled prior to late July or early August. Molly would have wanted everyone to be able to attend and they don't usually get out of school until the end of June - and Harry would have to return to Privet Dr. for at least a week - possibly more.

With the wedding unlikely to occur until the end of July or early August, it seems unlikely that they will put it off. As you said, they were so close at the end of HBP - they had repaired their friendship and were starting to behave like a couple. It really doesn't make any sense for them to wait two months before saying anything.

So, with that in mind, I see two possibilities. I still like the wedding because of the romantic setting and the fact that it could be witnessed without Harry appearing to be a voyeur. But that would have to be set up from the beginning - something happening on the train followed by a series of interruptions leading up to the wedding.

But, as much as I like that idea, I don't think Jo is going to put that much time into the romances for DH. So the train becomes the most likely option. And she would be able to pull that off because the train is sort of public, but still gives Harry the option to leave the compartment to give them privacy - after they start kissing of course.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old March 9th, 2007, 11:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
But, as much as I like that idea, I don't think Jo is going to put that much time into the romances for DH. So the train becomes the most likely option. And she would be able to pull that off because the train is sort of public, but still gives Harry the option to leave the compartment to give them privacy - after they start kissing of course.
I don't think there will be much romance but I think there will be a big romantic moment, bigger than H/G and I really want to see it in the movie

Old March 10th, 2007, 1:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I agree. Initially, I thought it would be during the wedding, but then I saw the quote from Time magazine where Jo said she "cues up" the final scene from HBP at the beginning of DH. I started thinking about the timing of it and it just didn't work out. HBP showed them getting out of school about a month early. Since the wedding was being planned the summer before, it is unlikely that it was scheduled prior to late July or early August. Molly would have wanted everyone to be able to attend and they don't usually get out of school until the end of June - and Harry would have to return to Privet Dr. for at least a week - possibly more.

With the wedding unlikely to occur until the end of July or early August, it seems unlikely that they will put it off. As you said, they were so close at the end of HBP - they had repaired their friendship and were starting to behave like a couple. It really doesn't make any sense for them to wait two months before saying anything.

So, with that in mind, I see two possibilities. I still like the wedding because of the romantic setting and the fact that it could be witnessed without Harry appearing to be a voyeur. But that would have to be set up from the beginning - something happening on the train followed by a series of interruptions leading up to the wedding.

So many possibillities, and only (lets see...) about Four and a Half months to go!!!!
(This isnt that long, but it's killing me! )
Well, I really like the wedding idea, and I also like the train...both romantic scenes. Your in the Both-er posse too.

Quote:
I don't think there will be much romance but I think there will be a big romantic moment, bigger than H/G and I really want to see it in the movie
DEFINATELY.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart

Last edited by potterposse; March 10th, 2007 at 2:05 am.
Old March 10th, 2007, 2:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse View Post
So many possibillities, and only (lets see...) about Four and a Half months to go!!!!
(This isnt that long, but it's killing me! )
Well, I really like the wedding idea, and I also like the train...both romantic scenes. Your in the Both-er posse too.
Yep.

A third possibility - less likely since they were supposed to get on the train right after the funeral - is that it would happen before they leave. That would be dependent on how much time they have before the train leaves I think. I'd say the train is most likely.

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old March 10th, 2007, 3:54 am
Sixth Year

How about after they get off the train, and Ron kisses her before he goes?

(a little hollywoodish, but still. )

Old March 10th, 2007, 3:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse View Post
How about after they get off the train, and Ron kisses her before he goes?
Goes where? They're supposed to go to the Dursleys with Harry.

Old March 10th, 2007, 4:03 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Goes where? They're supposed to go to the Dursleys with Harry.
Oh, yeah...my bad, forgot.

Well, Train is most logical at the moment. Then theres the option of the Dursleys, which I dont really see happening, and then theres the wedding, which is still a perfect way for everyone to find out, if they get together on the train. Even the train would be nice, when Ginny finds out, she'd just tell Mrs. Weasley when she gets home.

Why must we have to wait?

Old March 10th, 2007, 4:17 am
First Year

7[B] years people........ 7 loooong years [/b]of the tension, bickering, jealousy and romantic enuendo. I am not however convinced wholly that they will get together right at the beginning of DH. YES it would be easier BUT JKR has always intertwined many different story lines and events in the books that has kept us readers wanting more....this meaning that even when the main storyline was huge and dramatic(voldie, sirious's death, DD's Death, Snape ect.) she kept her sub-plots (H/R saga ect.) going for substance. I feel that by saying because of the scene at DD's funeral where H/R were embracing is ultimatly putting all our H/R eggs in one basket. This for me was a fabulous scene AND I feel that it was a beginning to an end in relation to them finally getting together officially BUT I think that for right now it was them comforting eachother in thier time of need. This did however validate to us readers that they need eachother. My interpertation as i read and re-read the series is that NOTHING not for any of the characters has worked out as planned..HANG in here with me I say this because look at all of the perfect opportunities (yule ball, sluggies party ect) that never came to pass. That is how JKR writes not for the perfect moments (B/F wedding) but as a stone rolling down a hill gathering speed as it goes down. This for me is how I think DH will go in relation to the R/H relationship as well as all the other sub-plots we love.

Old March 10th, 2007, 4:51 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
7 years people........ 7 loooong years of the tension, bickering, jealousy and romantic enuendo. I am not however convinced wholly that they will get together right at the beginning of DH. YES it would be easier BUT JKR has always intertwined many different story lines and events in the books that has kept us readers wanting more....this meaning that even when the main storyline was huge and dramatic(voldie, sirious's death, DD's Death, Snape ect.) she kept her sub-plots (H/R saga ect.) going for substance. I feel that by saying because of the scene at DD's funeral where H/R were embracing is ultimatly putting all our H/R eggs in one basket. This for me was a fabulous scene AND I feel that it was a beginning to an end in relation to them finally getting together officially BUT I think that for right now it was them comforting eachother in thier time of need. This did however validate to us readers that they need eachother. My interpertation as i read and re-read the series is that NOTHING not for any of the characters has worked out as planned..HANG in here with me I say this because look at all of the perfect opportunities (yule ball, sluggies party ect) that never came to pass. That is how JKR writes not for the perfect moments (B/F wedding) but as a stone rolling down a hill gathering speed as it goes down. This for me is how I think DH will go in relation to the R/H relationship as well as all the other sub-plots we love.
It has been seven long years and that is exactly why we think that Ron and Hermione can not put it off their relationship any longer. Yes, perfect oppurtunities have come and gone, but those perfect oppurtunities were when neither of them were very secure in their feelings for each other. Now, at the end of HBP, after Dumbledore's death and Ron's poisoning, they know how much they need each other and are more secure in their feelings.

And although things don't always work out as planned, something eventually goes right. And besides, you wouldn't consider Harry and Ginny's kiss a perfect oppurtunity that was taken? Why should Ron and Hermione be any different.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
It has been seven long years and that is exactly why we think that Ron and Hermione can not put it off their relationship any longer. Yes, perfect oppurtunities have come and gone, but those perfect oppurtunities were when neither of them were very secure in their feelings for each other. Now, at the end of HBP, after Dumbledore's death and Ron's poisoning, they know how much they need each other and are more secure in their feelings.

And although things don't always work out as planned, something eventually goes right. And besides, you wouldn't consider Harry and Ginny's kiss a perfect oppurtunity that was taken? Why should Ron and Hermione be any different.
Exactly.

With every other "perfect opportunity", there has always been something occur to cause a misunderstanding. Hermione wanted Ron to ask her to the Yule Ball, but his "couple of trolls" comment led her to believe he wouldn't so she accepted Krum's invitation. Ron did start to realize his feelings, but felt he couldn't compete with Krum. Slughorn's party was really a continuation of that issue because they never resolved it. Ron still felt that he couldn't compete with Krum and another misunderstanding occurred because of Ginny's assumption.

However, at this point, Jo would be scraping the bottom of the barrel for plausible ways to keep them apart for very long. At the end of HBP they are both more aware of each others feelings and are on the edge of getting together. They just need a little nudge. With everything that happened between them in HBP, another major misunderstanding really wouldn't be believable. A series of interruptions could work, but even that wouldn't be feasible for any length of time. They'll be together by the wedding at the latest - most likely sooner.

Old March 10th, 2007, 2:08 pm
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimie View Post
7[B] years people........ 7 loooong years [/b]of the tension, bickering, jealousy and romantic enuendo. I am not however convinced wholly that they will get together right at the beginning of DH. YES it would be easier BUT JKR has always intertwined many different story lines and events in the books that has kept us readers wanting more....this meaning that even when the main storyline was huge and dramatic(voldie, sirious's death, DD's Death, Snape ect.) she kept her sub-plots (H/R saga ect.) going for substance. I feel that by saying because of the scene at DD's funeral where H/R were embracing is ultimatly putting all our H/R eggs in one basket. This for me was a fabulous scene AND I feel that it was a beginning to an end in relation to them finally getting together officially BUT I think that for right now it was them comforting eachother in thier time of need. This did however validate to us readers that they need eachother. My interpertation as i read and re-read the series is that NOTHING not for any of the characters has worked out as planned..HANG in here with me I say this because look at all of the perfect opportunities (yule ball, sluggies party ect) that never came to pass. That is how JKR writes not for the perfect moments (B/F wedding) but as a stone rolling down a hill gathering speed as it goes down. This for me is how I think DH will go in relation to the R/H relationship as well as all the other sub-plots we love.
That's a fair point (actually a bunch of them ) though Jo will be quite able to keep some form of tension going now by shifting it to the other couple in residence, Harry and Ginny. Just because Ron and Hermione are likely to acknowledge where they stand fairly early in the piece won't mean that Jo has finished playing with that particular sub plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
Actually I think they may gravitate toward each other because in some ways they're less secure about their feelings than ever. This insecurity about themselves and their future may, IMO, drive them to admit things they may not have otherwise have done.

Quote:
Well they are a diametrically opposite couple dynamic to Harry and Ginny and in many ways have done the whole relationship building thin in reverse. That doesn't mean they won'd have their big outing moment but it won't be as unexpected or as sudden as the other. Still can't wait to see it though.

Old March 10th, 2007, 6:36 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkly View Post

Completely agree. Especially good point with JKR having to set everything up anew, if she waits much longer into DH. I also think, since the main-question of the romantic sup-plot in DH will be if, how, and when Harry and Ginny get back together, she will have to resolve R/Hr early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimie View Post
My interpertation as i read and re-read the series is that NOTHING not for any of the characters has worked out as planned..HANG in here with me I say this because look at all of the perfect opportunities (yule ball, sluggies party ect) that never came to pass.
That is certainly true. She loves to surprise us and to 'ignore' our expectations. But that can go only so far, IMO. In all the other situations, when there was a theoretical opportunity for them go get together, they were not ready. I strongly feel they are by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Actually I think they may gravitate toward each other because in some ways they're less secure about their feelings than ever. This insecurity about themselves and their future may, IMO, drive them to admit things they may not have otherwise have done.
I understand how the insecurity about the future can give them the necessary nudge to finally confess their feelings. But I donīt understand what exactly you mean with them being less secure about their feelings than ever. I have the impression they are more sure than ever.

Anyway, I still think they will resolve their relationship early on. My bet is on the train. But I wouldnīt mind to flip open Deathly Hallows and read on the first page:

Dennis Creevy came running up to them, shouting excitedly:

"Harry, Harry, I have a message for you".

Harry ducked, in case Dennis had his camera on him, but Dennis just told Harry McGonagall wanted to see him in the Headmistressīoffice.

Asking Ron and Hermione to wait for him infront of the castle for their departure, he made his way up the lawn to the big oak entrance door. Before pushing it open, he cast a look back to the lake, with itīs water glistening in the sunshine, and the White Tomb, which now held their late Headmasterīs body. In the distance he saw the group of trees he just had come from. Ron and Hermione were still standing there.... closely entwined, kissing deeply.

(Although, in much better writing style of course. )

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old March 10th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Lol, nice scenario Deevo, I'd be happy with it.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 10th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Second Year

Hi. I hope that in Book 7, Ron and Hermione become a couple as they would fit quite nicely for each other.

Old March 10th, 2007, 6:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Well they are a diametrically opposite couple dynamic to Harry and Ginny and in many ways have done the whole relationship building thin in reverse. That doesn't mean they won'd have their big outing moment but it won't be as unexpected or as sudden as the other. Still can't wait to see it though.
Yes, I keep wondering what JK plans for their big moment. It may be unfair but I honestly think it should be bigger than Harry and Ginny's. This has been 7 freaking years afterall. However, I keep coming up with images of one of them in mortal danger and it's all coming out cheesy in my head. I know that if that's the route JK goes it will not be cheesy and so my anticipation is also building up in finding out exactly how she'll have it play out. The great thing is that now we at least have an exact date.

Cheers

Old March 10th, 2007, 6:58 pm
First Year

I'm not quite too sure where Jo is going to have the "big moment".
I, on the other hand, am SO SUPER excited for whenever it is going to be.

I'm kind of hoping for on the train ride home. Which is quite rare because Jo rarely ever talks about the ride home.

I don't think that the Dursley's house is likely. And that is where the Trio is going, so I suspect that it needs to happen before then. Mrs. Weasley isn't going to be too happy knowing that Ron is going to the Dursley's, so maybe he can soften her up telling her that him and Hermione are an item? Since we know that she adores her.

Just an idea.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies