Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Ron and Hermione - Where to from here? v6

Old March 11th, 2007, 5:32 am
Sixth Year

Re: Ron and Hermione - Where to from here? v6

Quote:
I know. When I read the part where Ginny pointed out Ron snogging Lavender, I was thinking to myself - "Ooooh, Ron's gonna get it!"

I was actually mad at Ron for doing that. I felt bad for Hermione.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2007, 5:50 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse View Post

I was actually mad at Ron for doing that. I felt bad for Hermione.
Yeah, I was rooting for Hermione with that thought.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old March 11th, 2007, 5:36 pm
Fifth Year

It seems clear from JKR's comments that she feels Ron and Hermoine have come to an understanding about how they feel about each other. She said that Ron had to "make himself worthy" of Hermoine by having another relationship (Lavender). By this I think she meant Ron had to realize that despite Hermoine's ambiguous signals, he was going to have to face his feelings about Hermione and deal with them in the open.

JKR's answer to a question about what Hermione would see in the Mirror of Erisid tells me that Hermione already realizes what she wants. The question is what to do about it.

I really don't see Ron and Hermione falling into each other's arms immeadiately after the funeral. That sort of strikes me as a little...tacky. But during the trip on the train is possible. The wedding is also a good idea. But I would expect it to happen quite unexpectedly at some point early in the last book; that just seems to be they pattern they follow. Hopefully it will be funny and sweet at the same time. I would be surprised by some grand romantic moment. Awkward and funny would be more likely. However,Ron and Hermoine have matured quite a bit so it may not be that awkward, but that would make it less entertaining.

There were so many ppl sure that R\Hr (or H\Hr ) would be settled completely in HBP, but it wasn't...not entirely. We have Ron and Hermione acting like a couple but not making it clear they are a couple. The only thing lacking is a clearly romantic moment between them.

R\Hr seems to be JKR's way of dealing with a romance about two ppl who are good friends that can't quite seem to realize how good they are for each other and what they are looking for is right under their noses, sort of like the movie "When Harry Met Sally". I suspect this has happened in her life.

Last edited by darklordspal; March 11th, 2007 at 5:38 pm.
Old March 11th, 2007, 6:29 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordspal View Post
I really don't see Ron and Hermione falling into each other's arms immeadiately after the funeral. That sort of strikes me as a little...tacky. But during the trip on the train is possible. The wedding is also a good idea. But I would expect it to happen quite unexpectedly at some point early in the last book; that just seems to be they pattern they follow. Hopefully it will be funny and sweet at the same time. I would be surprised by some grand romantic moment. Awkward and funny would be more likely. However,Ron and Hermoine have matured quite a bit so it may not be that awkward, but that would make it less entertaining.
I dont think I'd be too suprised by a Romantic moment between the two...I'd just be thrilled and jump up from by chair or bed (wherever I choose to read) and shout "OhYeah!" or "YES!!!!!!" loudly, and odds are, hit my head or hurt myself in some other stupid way, because I tend to do that. I would like to see a little bit of everything, (Drama, humor, romance,ect.) during their scene.

Last edited by potterposse; March 11th, 2007 at 8:52 pm.
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:00 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Probably not a great choice of words on my part but basically while they're both pretty sure about their own feelings with respect to the other I feel that they're completely unsure of the other's now.

After Lav Lav, Hermione will be wondering if Ron is really attracted to her at all. She's not the most confident sort and may have an issue about her appearance at least as it relates to Ron.
That is true, but since then, as meesha has already pointed out, Hermione had heard Ron muttering her name when unconscious after the poisoning. While she might have debated with herself if she really heard what she heard and what it could mean, Ron´s behaviour after the poisoning must have given her some hope. They made up, he avoided Lavender, tried to let her know he really wanted to end it with Lavender, the 'I love you' slip-up, his general behaviour. All of that would have given Hermione reason to think she might really have a chance now, after the relationship with Lavender ended. Not 100% sure, but quite sure. Of course she will still have to learn that Ron never chose Lavender over her, but had given up hope Hermione would ever consider him as a romantic partner.

Quote:
Similarly Ron went with Lav Lav because he felt that Hermione wasn't interested in him 'that way'. After the first night and the killer canaries of doom (I wonder what effect they'd have on Voldemort ) he plainly figured that he was wrong. By Christmas he was clearly regretting the whole thing but for him to back out of it now would only add another hurt to the list he was responsible for. In short, he might feel he's blown his chance of anything more than a friendship with Hermione.
I´m 50/50 on this. On the one hand, I do think there is some uncertainty for Ron if he has blown his chance with Hermione. And the Krum issue is still to be resolved as well. On the other hand, not only the canaries had shown Ron that he was wrong, that Hermione really did care. Hermione´s general behaviour after the poisoning changed as well. She was much more encouraging, she complimented Ron, she reacted very positively to his 'I love you' slip-up.

Therefore, I think Ron will overcome the little rest of doubt that might be there. He will give it a try and make a move. He´s a Weasley and a Gryffindor after all.

Quote:
Still I think he'll want to get all of this out into the open before they head off with Harry. They'll need to be focussed on what they're trying to achieve and unresolved tensions will make that more difficult and Ron is sufficiently mature and tactically astute enough to understand that now.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I agree, Deevo.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:00 am
Second Year

Quote:
Still I think he'll want to get all of this out into the open before they head off with Harry. They'll need to be focussed on what they're trying to achieve and unresolved tensions will make that more difficult and Ron is sufficiently mature and tactically astute enough to understand that now.
I think thats needed, otherwise they're all in trouble. Basically whatever happens is good as long as we get to read a bit of it and they end up married.

Old March 12th, 2007, 4:00 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I dont think I'd be too suprised by a Romantic moment between the two...I'd just be thrilled and jump up from by chair or bed (wherever I choose to read) and shout "OhYeah!" or "YES!!!!!!" loudly, and odds are, hit my head or hurt myself in some other stupid way, because I tend to do that. I would like to see a little bit of everything, (Drama, humor, romance,ect.) during their scene.
Me too! I couldn't stop smiling when Hermione asked Ron out in HBP and I seriously screamed in frustration when Ron snogged Lav-LAv. I will be cheering loudly when the MOMENT finally comes.

Quote:
Agreed, agreed, Hermione has a bit of temper, I admit, but I never thought I would see her attacking Ron with canaries. She hit Malfoy, who pretty much had it coming when he mocked Hagrid. And Rita Skeeter, well, Hermione fought fire with even bigger fires. Rita uses a dirty trick to get her news, ruining peoples lives. Hermione now holds that against her after GoF. Ron, as have been said, had given up on Hermione at the point (she and Ginny really should talk more), so he went for Lavender, not sure what he hoped to achieve there.

I just wished Hermione could have used something else to show Ron that she was angry and hurt by his actions, not attacking him with innocent canaries. It didn't exactly get her anywhere, it only left Ron with ehm.. beakmarks?

And I agree fully with the statement that Hermione doesn't follow her own rules, when she scolds Harry for his book while she herself curses Cormac.
Exactly what I was thinking. I would never deny Hermione's temper, but I never thought I would see the day that she would attack Ron. Marietta, Umbridge, Rita, and Malfoy all had it coming. Yes, she was overly-vindictive towards some, but they were all enemies and pretty muched deserved some form of retaliation.

But during all her fights with Ron and Harry she has never struck or really lashed out at either of them. That's why I was so surprised. I expected a yelling match like after the Yule Ball, not canaries directed to cause Ron physical harm. Still, hell hath no fury, right?

And I agree that Hermione was hypocritical when it came to McLaggen and the Prince.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old March 12th, 2007, 4:03 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think no one expected canaries to attack him... that was kind of a creative and original choice of weaponry...

But I was not surprised by her lashing out. Ron really, seriously hurt her.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 12th, 2007, 4:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
Me too! I couldn't stop smiling when Hermione asked Ron out in HBP and I seriously screamed in frustration when Ron snogged Lav-LAv. I will be cheering loudly when the MOMENT finally comes.
I know. My husband still teases me because I squealed like a fangirl when Harry kissed Ginny. I'll be whooping for joy when Ron and Hermione's moment comes. I guess I'm in for more teasing.

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking. I would never deny Hermione's temper, but I never thought I would see the day that she would attack Ron. Marietta, Umbridge, Rita, and Malfoy all had it coming. Yes, she was overly-vindictive towards some, but they were all enemies and pretty muched deserved some form of retaliation.

But during all her fights with Ron and Harry she has never struck or really lashed out at either of them. That's why I was so surprised. I expected a yelling match like after the Yule Ball, not canaries directed to cause Ron physical harm. Still, hell hath no fury, right?
I really wasn't surprised by that. Admittedly, my first thought was that she would slap him or something along those lines, but the canaries worked just as well. It was a more extreme reaction, but it was also a more extreme situation. Ron had accepted her invitation to Slughorn's party and then - for no reason as far as she is aware - he's snogging Lavender in the common room. That was painful and she wanted to hurt him like he had hurt her.

It's also significant that their other fights had clear and obvious reasons behind them. Hermione knew exactly why Ron was mad at her in POA - he thought Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers. He had repeatedly expressed concern over it and Hermione had ignored those concerns. I think Hermione knew that Ron's concern over Crookshanks was valid - and it was because even though Crookshanks hadn't actually eaten Scabbers, he had been after Scabbers for Sirius - but Hermione has a major problem with admitting when she is wrong. Even when the truth came out, she still focused on the fact that she was right about Crookshanks not eating Scabbers. But she knew why Ron was mad and didn't really have any valid argument against it. That's why she didn't retaliate.

She also knew - or at least suspected - why Ron got angry during the Yule Ball. He was jealous of Krum. They yelled and argued, but underneath all that, Hermione had some hope that it meant Ron did return her feelings.

That's the difference between those fights. In HBP, it all came out of the blue for Hermione. She got up one morning and Ron was angry with her - she had no idea why and never did find out. A week later, he's snogging another girl in front of everyone - publicly rejecting her from her point of view. And, again, she had no idea why or what had happened. I think that was a lot more painful for her to deal with and she had a much more extreme reaction to it because it was a more extreme situation.

Quote:
And I agree that Hermione was hypocritical when it came to McLaggen and the Prince.
Actually, I'd say that it would be more accurate to compare Hermione confunding McLaggen to her getting upset with Harry when she thought he put Felix Felicis in Ron's juice. And Harry called her on that one as well. However, he should have told her what he had done before heading down to the pitch. But it was hypocritical for her to admonish Harry when she had interfered with McLaggen's tryout.

But I was actually referring to the fact that Hermione typically advises people to do one thing, but generally does the opposite herself. When Harry and Ron were fighting, she continually tried to get them to talk to each other and work it out. But when she and Ron were fighting, she refused to talk to Ron at all. She advised Ginny to move on and date other boys. But when it came to her own choices - she decided to wait for Ron and never dated anyone. So we can't really predict what Hermione's behavior would be based on what she tells other people to do because she generally does the opposite when it comes to her own choices.

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old March 12th, 2007, 4:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesha
I know. My husband still teases me because I squealed like a fangirl when Harry kissed Ginny. I'll be whooping for joy when Ron and Hermione's moment comes. I guess I'm in for more teasing.
Ah, yes. My mom has required that I conceal myself in my room while I read DH, for my expressions give too much away. My parents were out once, and came home to find me sobbing over my Half-Blood Prince book, and therefore knew precisely at what point in the book to expect a death.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 12th, 2007, 4:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
Ah, yes. My mom has required that I conceal myself in my room while I read DH, for my expressions give too much away. My parents were out once, and came home to find me sobbing over my Half-Blood Prince book, and therefore knew precisely at what point in the book to expect a death.
I know what you mean. I was spoiled about that - deliberately on my part cause I'm one of those weird people who actually likes to know what's going to happen - but it was still heartbreaking.

But my husband hasn't actually read the books - says he doesn't need to with me around - so I don't have to worry about that. Just the teasing afterwards.

Old March 12th, 2007, 4:38 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I think no one expected canaries to attack him... that was kind of a creative and original choice of weaponry...

But I was not surprised by her lashing out. Ron really, seriously hurt her.
It was very creative. I felt really sad for her when she and Harry were just talking, I then felt some concern and was thinking..."soo, what's Hermione gonna do?" () Then the Canaries came, and all I could think was "Oh, Shoot! well, he had it coming"() The Wrath of Hermione Jane Granger. I was mad at Ron and Lavender, but overall intersted in Hermione's strike of jealousy.

Quote:
I know what you mean. I was spoiled about that - deliberately on my part cause I'm one of those weird people who actually likes to know what's going to happen - but it was still heartbreaking.
You weren't alone there. My uncle spioled it for my brother who spioled it for me!

Last edited by potterposse; March 12th, 2007 at 4:41 am.
Old March 12th, 2007, 4:46 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesha

But my husband hasn't actually read the books - says he doesn't need to with me around - so I don't have to worry about that. Just the teasing afterwards.
Yes, teasing is fun. My father insists on pretending to be a Harry/Hermione shipper simply to make fun of me... though he as little room to talk, for his reaction when Harry kissed Ginny was priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse
It was very creative. I felt really sad for her when she and Harry were just talking, I then felt some concern and was thinking..."soo, what's Hermione gonna do?" () Then the Canaries came, and all I could think was "Oh, Shoot! well, he had it coming"() The Wrath of Hermione Jane Granger. I was mad at Ron and Lavender, but overall intersted in Hermione's strike of jealousy.
Yes, I just laughed. I actually believe I drew a fanart of that scene. Of Hermione, with a tear in her eye and an expression of deep hatred, pointing her wand in the direction of the viewer, and ten very angry looking birds above her head, captioned with the words "Hell hath no fury"

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 12th, 2007, 4:49 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Yes, I just laughed. I actually believe I drew a fanart of that scene. Of Hermione, with a tear in her eye and an expression of deep hatred, pointing her wand in the direction of the viewer, and ten very angry looking birds above her head, captioned with the words "Hell hath no fury"
You did? cool. I drew one of her sitting on the desk with teary eyes, all miserable with the canaries flying around her head. And Harry (who just walked in) with a very troublesome look on his face.

Old March 12th, 2007, 4:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse View Post
You did? cool. I drew one of her sitting on the desk with teary eyes, all miserable with the canaries flying around her head. And Harry (who just walked in) with a very troublesome look on his face.
Lovely scene, worthy of much fanart.(My new word=lovely)

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 12th, 2007, 9:44 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
my first thought was that she would slap him or something along those lines
Hermione knows better than Harry, Fred and George, that display of muggle wrestling (even if it is a slap) won't do anything more than harming oneself, so she was better of displaying her skills as a witch.

Quote:
but Hermione has a major problem with admitting when she is wrong
That is telling something about Jo.

Quote:
But I was actually referring to the fact that Hermione typically advises people to do one thing, but generally does the opposite herself.
That shows that Hermione is just another girl who finds it easier to advice others but doesn't do it herself.

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:55 am
Fifth Year

Everything depends on them surviving the seventh book, don't it!

Old March 12th, 2007, 8:49 pm
First Year

I might be totally out of line here, and please tell me if I am, but at the end of HBP, Ron was stroking Her hair! To me that implys that they are a couple, no other confermation is required.

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannah View Post
I might be totally out of line here, and please tell me if I am, but at the end of HBP, Ron was stroking Her hair! To me that implys that they are a couple, no other confermation is required.
That's not quite enough confirmation. Because we (as the readers, and Harry) know Ron and Hermione so well, we know what a big step it was for him, but it was still just the act of a friend. She was crying; he was comforting her. Harry has done basically the same thing for her, like when she saw Ron and Lavendar kissing and he came in to check on her. What Ron did was much more intimate, but it was not finalization.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies