Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Ron and Hermione - Where to from here? v6

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Ron and Hermione - Where to from here? v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
I know. My husband still teases me because I squealed like a fangirl when Harry kissed Ginny. I'll be whooping for joy when Ron and Hermione's moment comes. I guess I'm in for more teasing.
Well, thatīs exactly why I make sure I am alone when reading DH. No embarrassement or teasing later.

Quote:
I really wasn't surprised by that. Admittedly, my first thought was that she would slap him or something along those lines, but the canaries worked just as well. It was a more extreme reaction, but it was also a more extreme situation. Ron had accepted her invitation to Slughorn's party and then - for no reason as far as she is aware - he's snogging Lavender in the common room. That was painful and she wanted to hurt him like he had hurt her.
I didnīt really expect a physical attack. Hermione can be very effective with words as well. But it didnīt astonish me either. I have to admit, although it was a painful thing (physically and emotionally) for both, Ron and Hermione, I found the scene somewhat amusing. I was like 'see, finally she does something that openly and unmistakably shows she fancies him'. Not that I didnīt know it before, but she was utterly obvious for the first time. No safety net, not talking around the issue. Plain, simple, clear, obvious. Oh, how I love this pairing.

Quote:
It's also significant that their other fights had clear and obvious reasons behind them. Hermione knew exactly why Ron was mad at her in POA - he thought Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers. He had repeatedly expressed concern over it and Hermione had ignored those concerns. I think Hermione knew that Ron's concern over Crookshanks was valid - and it was because even though Crookshanks hadn't actually eaten Scabbers, he had been after Scabbers for Sirius - but Hermione has a major problem with admitting when she is wrong. Even when the truth came out, she still focused on the fact that she was right about Crookshanks not eating Scabbers. But she knew why Ron was mad and didn't really have any valid argument against it. That's why she didn't retaliate.

She also knew - or at least suspected - why Ron got angry during the Yule Ball. He was jealous of Krum. They yelled and argued, but underneath all that, Hermione had some hope that it meant Ron did return her feelings.

That's the difference between those fights. In HBP, it all came out of the blue for Hermione. She got up one morning and Ron was angry with her - she had no idea why and never did find out. A week later, he's snogging another girl in front of everyone - publicly rejecting her from her point of view. And, again, she had no idea why or what had happened. I think that was a lot more painful for her to deal with and she had a much more extreme reaction to it because it was a more extreme situation.
Thatīs a really good point. She couldnīt rationalize it. Explain it to herself and thus have a realistic hope that they would be okay again eventually. In this situation she was kind of lost. No explanation, no certainty about what actually bothered the other, no definite hope.

Quote:
Actually, I'd say that it would be more accurate to compare Hermione confunding McLaggen to her getting upset with Harry when she thought he put Felix Felicis in Ron's juice.
Yes, but there is a difference, meesha. Hermione only manipulated McLaggen, Harry meddled with her Ron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
Yes, teasing is fun. My father insists on pretending to be a Harry/Hermione shipper simply to make fun of me... though he as little room to talk, for his reaction when Harry kissed Ginny was priceless.
I think I would have liked to see his gobsmacked face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannah View Post
I might be totally out of line here, and please tell me if I am, but at the end of HBP, Ron was stroking Her hair! To me that implys that they are a couple, no other confermation is required.
That would not fit with JKRīs writing so far. She has given us all the big, and a lot of the smaller, R/Hr moments. Jealousy, Yule Brawl, cheek-kiss, perfume present, invitation to the Slug-Club, Er-my-knee, comforting at the funeral et al. It would be kind of anticlimactic to give us all the moments leading to Ron and Hermione getting together but not the one moment when they actually do get together.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

It wasn’t so much gobsmacked, Daddy only pretends to be a H/Hr shipper. When Harry kissed Ginny he looked like a fangirl! Mom and I laughed at him.
Quote:
That would not fit with JKRīs writing so far. She has given us all the big, and a lot of the smaller, R/Hr moments. Jealousy, Yule Brawl, cheek-kiss, perfume present, invitation to the Slug-Club, Er-my-knee, comforting at the funeral et al. It would be kind of anticlimactic to give us all the moments leading to Ron and Hermione getting together but not the one moment when they actually do get together.
Exactly! I totally agree; we need more.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:19 pm
Fourth Year

She hasn't pushed H/Hr anymore than any other ship - it's made as likely as H/R - yet most peopel except that won't happen, lol!

I think many people get influenced by the films.

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:20 pm
First Year

i think that hermione and ron will get married and have six kids 3 boys and 3 girls. ginny
cho
lily
george
ablus
michael
ron and hermione live for 675 years

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Oh, Portage, you really don’t have to tweak the same theory and post it over and over again. Have you any other ideas?

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 13th, 2007, 2:03 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
It wasn’t so much gobsmacked, Daddy only pretends to be a H/Hr shipper. When Harry kissed Ginny he looked like a fangirl! Mom and I laughed at him.
I'd be on the floor if my brother did anything like that. If he did anything along those lines, I'd have to guess the end of the world has approached.

I was more along the lines of "OH, YAY!" (covers mouth like some immature girl, reads as fast as possible to see Ron's reaction, which was pretty funny. ) I re-read that part, and all the R/Hr parts, like the Herbology scene.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart

Last edited by potterposse; March 13th, 2007 at 2:20 am.
Old March 13th, 2007, 7:41 pm
First Year

Hopefully, no where. But alas the pair will marry and have a child named after one of their fallen friends.

Old March 13th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I didn't get to see my dad's reaction. He made sure he read the book while I was asleep, probably to stop me from constantly asking what part he was at.

At the part where Ron snogged Lavender, I buried my face in my pillow and screamed! My brother came running down the hall, burst into my room, and screams, "Who died!?!?!?!" When I told him that I was just mad because of what Ron did he rolled his eyes and still gives me a bad time. He told my dad about my freak-out. They both still give me a bad time.

I want to see my dad's reaction to what ever happens in DH, be it the big moment or a death, it's only fair really.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old March 13th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
At the part where Ron snogged Lavender, I buried my face in my pillow and screamed! My brother came running down the hall, burst into my room, and screams, "Who died!?!?!?!" When I told him that I was just mad because of what Ron did he rolled his eyes and still gives me a bad time. He told my dad about my freak-out. They both still give me a bad time.
Then you should take precautions for the upcoming Ron and Hermione-ness in DH. I will make sure no one notices me behaving like a teenager again. Because it will happen, I would be the most gobsmacked person in the world if it didnīt. All the build-up for nothing would be illogical.

Whatever happens, or however it happens, we will see the big part onpage. And we will see it early. I am still rooting for the train. JKR, I can imagine, would kind of want to get over with this. It is a kind of a legacy leftr from HBP to finally let them get together officially. Then, with a stronger and more confident Ron and Hermione, she can concentrate on the other things that have to be resolved.

Old March 13th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I’m not so concerned; I am a teenage girl, and I can squeal like one if I want to!

I’m a train-er myself. I want to see it as soon as possible, and I think that that’s a very plausible idea.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Sixth Year

Both-er! (okay, I have said that too many times.)

Old March 14th, 2007, 12:42 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
Well, thatīs exactly why I make sure I am alone when reading DH. No embarrassement or teasing later.
Right, well ... *cough* ... I was upstairs in the bedroom with the door shut.

Quote:
I didnīt really expect a physical attack. Hermione can be very effective with words as well. But it didnīt astonish me either. I have to admit, although it was a painful thing (physically and emotionally) for both, Ron and Hermione, I found the scene somewhat amusing. I was like 'see, finally she does something that openly and unmistakably shows she fancies him'. Not that I didnīt know it before, but she was utterly obvious for the first time. No safety net, not talking around the issue. Plain, simple, clear, obvious. Oh, how I love this pairing.
The physical attack really didn't surprise me - not for that situation because it was much more extreme. It was a painful thing for both of them, but I agree it was an amusing way for Hermione to vent her anger. Very creative of Jo. And it certainly left no doubts as to how Hermione feels about Ron.

Quote:
Thatīs a really good point. She couldnīt rationalize it. Explain it to herself and thus have a realistic hope that they would be okay again eventually. In this situation she was kind of lost. No explanation, no certainty about what actually bothered the other, no definite hope.
Exactly. Without knowing the cause of the situation, Hermione was pretty much left to think the worst.

Quote:
Yes, but there is a difference, meesha. Hermione only manipulated McLaggen, Harry meddled with her Ron.
A good example of how Hermione's mind works. Also I think Hermione was upset because - to her - it appeared that Harry didn't have any faith in Ron.

Quote:
I agree. Ron and Hermione have always demonstrated "couple-like" behavior to some extent. But neither of them realized it and they didn't acknowledge their feelings. With all the build up Jo has put into this relationship, I firmly believe that she will include the pay off on page with a big, romantic moment for the two of them.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old March 14th, 2007, 2:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Exactly

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:51 am
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
I’m not so concerned; I am a teenage girl, and I can squeal like one if I want to!
I'll just content myself with a "yes" which'll make anyone nearby wonder just what the heck I'm on about. That's what happened when I got to Harry and Ginny's kiss in Half Blood Prince, I guess I'm a softie at heart.

Quote:
I’m a train-er myself. I want to see it as soon as possible, and I think that that’s a very plausible idea.
I'm undecided, the train seems likely but it might be a quiet moment. I'd still like to see a big 'outing' at the wedding, it'll be much more fun to read other people's reactions.

Quote:
Mine was at the laundromat on a Saturday morning, I was reading then "yes". Got me some strange looks.

Quote:
The physical attack really didn't surprise me - not for that situation because it was much more extreme. It was a painful thing for both of them, but I agree it was an amusing way for Hermione to vent her anger. Very creative of Jo. And it certainly left no doubts as to how Hermione feels about Ron.
Actually after the things she's done to other people that brassed her off over the years Ron got off fairly lightly.

Quote:
Exactly. Without knowing the cause of the situation, Hermione was pretty much left to think the worst.
Given her lack of confidence and the limb she'd already placed herself on his actions were pretty devistating to her.

Quote:
A good example of how Hermione's mind works.
Indeed, she's never been the most ... even handed individual when it's come to her expectations of how to treat others as opposed to how she treats them herself. She's been a 'do as I say, not as I do' person for a while now in certain situations.

I think Steve Kloves actually summed her character up really well in the Chamber of Secrets DVD interview, he said something along the lines of that she had this amazing intellect, coupled with a complete lack of awareness of her effect on other people.

Quote:
Also I think Hermione was upset because - to her - it appeared that Harry didn't have any faith in Ron.
Definitely, though the way she expressed that to them came out completely wrong and made it look like it was her that didn't have any faith in him.

Quote:
I agree. Ron and Hermione have always demonstrated "couple-like" behavior to some extent. But neither of them realized it and they didn't acknowledge their feelings. With all the build up Jo has put into this relationship, I firmly believe that she will include the pay off on page with a big, romantic moment for the two of them.
That's why I think after their big romantic moment they'll fall into their couple dynamic very easily, it'll be very much like they are now without the underlying tension. If anything I think they'll be more used than ever to Harry.

Old March 14th, 2007, 1:18 pm
First Year

When the canary incident took place ,was there anything concrete between the two of them to actually justify hermione ? I mean, i know i felt sorry for her and all,but overall ron ahould be ecstatic at that sorta response !

Old March 14th, 2007, 4:37 pm
Second Year

Wow, it's been a long time. Version 6? You guys have been busy since I've been gone!

Quote:
Ron and Hermione have always demonstrated "couple-like" behavior to some extent. But neither of them realized it and they didn't acknowledge their feelings. With all the build up Jo has put into this relationship, I firmly believe that she will include the pay off on page with a big, romantic moment for the two of them.
Utterly agree. They've been a couple since PoA or so, I think. Poor dears just hadn't seen it. I love the irony in their relationship.

Ron and Hermione have sort of had blinders on when it comes to their feelings for each other. I can see how Hermione, at least, would try to ignore it for the sake of school or Harry or Voldemort. Before HBP, she'd only had a really romance-induced moment once, in GoF with the "ask me next time, and not as a last resort!" comment that had Ron blubbering like a freckle-faced fish. I think she's only recently come to terms with her feelings.

P.S. Congrats, RWeasley! Seventh year....girrrrl.

REPRESENT

I will go down with this ship. I won't put my hands up and surrender. There will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love and always will be.

HMS Harmony * SS Fire and Ice * HMS Red Moon
HBP changes nothing
Portkey.org
Keep HP on Library shelves - sign the petition

Old March 14th, 2007, 5:46 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I haven't been in this topic since maybe version 1, but I was just thinking...what if everything happens after the wedding and after the Dursleys and during the trio's actual adventure to Godric's Hollow if they don't go back to school? I personally just couldn't see anything happening for the earlier parts of the book and could see it for the second half.

Old March 14th, 2007, 8:02 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Next time better try a Muffliato spell then.

Quote:
As I said, I didnīt expect it, but I wasnīt exactly surprised either. They have had fierce fights and fallouts with giving each other the silent treatment before. And those incidents must have been hurtful for both as well. Iīm just thinking about the Crookshanks/Scabbers fight. But the fact that Hermione couldnīt restrain herself from actually attacking Ron (something she would never have done before, IMO), shows how seriously she is hurt, how deep this went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
I'll just content myself with a "yes" which'll make anyone nearby wonder just what the heck I'm on about. That's what happened when I got to Harry and Ginny's kiss in Half Blood Prince, I guess I'm a softie at heart.
Arenīt we all? And isnīt that wonderful?

Quote:
I'm undecided, the train seems likely but it might be a quiet moment. I'd still like to see a big 'outing' at the wedding, it'll be much more fun to read other people's reactions.
Maybe we could have kind of both. When they get together on the train, only Harry will be the one to know. Either because he witnesses it, or because Ron and Hermione let him know as soon as possible. But the family wouldnīt be in the know. Unless Ginny notices they are a couple and tells it at home (most funny scenario, she tells the twins like she did when Ron was with Lavender). Nevertheless, there could still be some kind of outing at the wedding. Not deliberately or anything, but they could still get caught up in themselves somehow. That would not be the big outing you have in mind, but it would be something.

I wonder, should they get together before the wedding, if they would try to 'hide' their relationship from the family. It would definitely a bit awkward for them and I donīt really see Ron making an announcement to his parents a la 'Mum, Dad, err, Hermione, errr - you know her, err, we err...' If they donīt want to hide it, they could act normal just with a bit of hand-holding once in a while.

Quote:
Actually after the things she's done to other people that brassed her off over the years Ron got off fairly lightly.
True. But Iīm sure she didnīt want him running around with awful pimples all over his face like one Marietta Edgcombe.(Although, might she have had fantasies about doing something like that to Lavender once in a while? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKeDaine View Post
Wow, it's been a long time. Version 6? You guys have been busy since I've been gone!
Welcome back, VikeDaine.

Quote:
[color="Yellow"]Utterly agree. They've been a couple since PoA or so, I think. Poor dears just hadn't seen it. I love the irony in their relationship.
They already showed some couply behaviour in first and second year, IMO.

Quote:
Ron and Hermione have sort of had blinders on when it comes to their feelings for each other. I can see how Hermione, at least, would try to ignore it for the sake of school or Harry or Voldemort. Before HBP, she'd only had a really romance-induced moment once, in GoF with the "ask me next time, and not as a last resort!" comment that had Ron blubbering like a freckle-faced fish. I think she's only recently come to terms with her feelings.
Being friends, best friends at that, added certainly to the difficulty they had to come to terms with their feelings for each other. They first had to realize these feelings for themselves, then they had to accept them, then they had to find out what the other felt. I think Hermione became aware of her feelings very early on. PoA the latest. At first she would not have been sure enough about the depth of her feelings to risk her friendship with Ron. But over the time these feelings grew and she knew she had to do something about it in HBP, since it didnīt look like Ron would do anything any time soon.

Hermione did not act earlier for a variety of reasons

- unsure if Ron reciprocated her feelings

- afraid to risk their friendship

- afraid of rejection

- too many other things happening

- maybe a bit old-fashioned, but wanting for Ron to make the first move

Iīm pretty sure, I forgot some points.

Old March 14th, 2007, 8:54 pm
Sixth Year

VikeDaine! Welcome back!

Quote:
I wonder, should they get together before the wedding, if they would try to 'hide' their relationship from the family. It would definitely a bit awkward for them and I donīt really see Ron making an announcement to his parents a la 'Mum, Dad, err, Hermione, errr - you know her, err, we err...' If they donīt want to hide it, they could act normal just with a bit of hand-holding once in a while.
I am thinking once they get together, it'd be too obvious to even hide. (hopefully a public kiss )

Quote:
True. But Iīm sure she didnīt want him running around with awful pimples all over his face like one Marietta Edgcombe.(Although, might she have had fantasies about doing something like that to Lavender once in a while? )
You know she did.

Quote:
Being friends, best friends at that, added certainly to the difficulty they had to come to terms with their feelings for each other. They first had to realize these feelings for themselves, then they had to accept them, then they had to find out what the other felt. I think Hermione became aware of her feelings very early on. PoA the latest. At first she would not have been sure enough about the depth of her feelings to risk her friendship with Ron. But over the time these feelings grew and she knew she had to do something about it in HBP, since it didnīt look like Ron would do anything any time soon.

Hermione did not act earlier for a variety of reasons

- unsure if Ron reciprocated her feelings

- afraid to risk their friendship

- afraid of rejection

- too many other things happening

- maybe a bit old-fashioned, but wanting for Ron to make the first move

Iīm pretty sure, I forgot some points.
Maybe becoming ticked at Ron right when she thought about possibly asking him? I think that might follow under some of the things you listed though.

Old March 14th, 2007, 9:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Welcome back, VikeDaine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse View Post
VikeDaine! Welcome back!
Many thanks!

Quote:
I think Hermione became aware of her feelings very early on. PoA the latest.
I agree with this, but I don't think she fully understood what was happening between the two of them until later. For obvious reasons (lack of experience, close friendship), she and Ron both could not have adapted easily to the idea of loving each other on an entirely different level than the one to which they had become accustomed. Hermione especially would have been at first skeptical of the extent of her feelings, being as analytical and logical as she was and is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterposse View Post
Maybe becoming ticked at Ron right when she thought about possibly asking him? I think that might follow under some of the things you listed though.
Absolutely. Greenhouse scene much? That's a reason we've seen in canon. A reason all you R/Hr shippers adore for some reason.

REPRESENT

I will go down with this ship. I won't put my hands up and surrender. There will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love and always will be.

HMS Harmony * SS Fire and Ice * HMS Red Moon
HBP changes nothing
Portkey.org
Keep HP on Library shelves - sign the petition

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies