Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts > The Library

Love, Loss, and Devotion: A Collection of Short Stories

Closed Thread

Old March 10th, 2007, 6:10 pm
Third Year

Love, Loss, and Devotion: A Collection of Short Stories

Love, Loss, and Devotion
A Collection of Short Stories

These are a wide variety of short stories I've written of no particular topic or genre. Listed are my current, latest, and next stories; beneath that would be the table of contents, where you can check out what stories you want to read first! Enjoy!

Current: A whole bunch of surprises! Probably some Songfics included in that bunch! Maybe even a short story or two . . . who knows?

My Latest: A Complex Relationship--the Seventh Year - Post #23 - ? - At the beggining of what would be their seventh year at Hogwarts, Hermione, Ron, and Harry adventure into the world of horcrux hunting. It is definately much more difficult than expected and on top of it all they have Bill and Fleur's wedding, the Ministry, and Voldemort to deal with. The story evolves a lot around the developing relationship of Ron and Hermione (and Ginny/Harry, too!) But this time their relationship actually blossoms, and at a very inconvenient time, too. This is a continuation of my last story, A Complex Relationship, though it stands alone. Read it while you still can!

Up Next: Probably more songfics

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Want to read stories that are short, sweet, and to-the-point, yet filled with fluff? Problem solved! I felt like creating a fan fiction of short stories since one ongoing story would become dreary for us all. So I created this thread to post my short(er) stories of various topics. It will include anything from action/adventure to mystery to romance so I guess it depends on my mood. I'll go ahead and say that none of these are my characters nor settings nor major plot lines; I just put JK's pieces together. I enter the writing contest almost every week so this isn't truly my first fanfic (I also recommend entering or voting in that because there are some really talented writers).

Anyway, without further ado, I present my first story. I had this urge to write about Sirius so this one's about his choice to leave the Black Family. I think it will have four parts and here is the first. Hope you like it!

The Black Family Reunion

Part 1: The Woman in the Portrait

You could say that Sirius was the odd one out in his “happy family.” Though it was becoming rarer for wizards and witches to be completely pure, he was a pure-blood. His family fawned over this fact, for nothing made them more proud than being entirely magical. And nothing made them more irritable than mixed breed commoners, mudbloods, who knew nothing of purity. Squibs and Muggle lovers. The thought of them disgusted the Blacks, and even brought shame to the family name. Nobody within the family ever dishonored it, at least according to the tapestry. Yes, the tapestry. Burns, scrapes, scratches, and blanks: the disobedient ones always left their mark. “Let them be shunned, for all we care,” they would say. But they did care. They cared so much that Sirius had trouble facing the fact that soon he would be just another abrasion in the plaque, doomed to be forgotten. However, they would not forget him, they couldn’t; each generation would go on hating him eternally. It was a most satisfying punishment for the most imprudent ones, and it always would be until the Black family faltered. Little did they know, betrayal was in their midst.

Every 7 years or so, they had a family reunion (because the family obviously needed some reuniting). Everybody would come, excluding the filthy traitors, and they would have a jolly old time drinking and eating. It may seem odd, and that is because it was. That year, Walburga Black (Sirius’s mother) was hosting the festivities. It was the day before it was to be held and Sirius was about to explode from annoyance.

“Midge! We are to have tea in the dining room, now. I would appreciate it being hot this time?” Walburga hissed at the senile house elf. She nodded and scurried off.

They seated themselves in the living room, which at the time was filled with green furnishings. They lived at Number 12 Grimmauld Place in London where centuries upon centuries of Blacks had lived.

“You said you had something to tell me, dear?” she continued towards Sirius, who was watching Midge cross the threshold with their tea.

“Yes, I did. I don’t know how to say this, but—,” Sirius began.

“My, you have certainly grown handsomer, have you not? I do not remember your face being so structured, or your hair being so . . . clean. Is this improvement for a certain lady?” his mother interrupted.

“I—,” he began once more.

“Is she one of us?” she insisted, narrowing her eyebrows. Her eyes were sharp, similar to his, but her face was a slight shade of grey and her thin, bony features were very unlike his own. She opened her mouth to say more and was stopped by the crash of the tea tray to the floor. They glanced over and noticed that Midge was scrambling to clean up the mess she had made.

“Make us more tea and return here promptly. If only Aunt Elladora were here to see this. I assure you she would have something to do about you tomorrow,” she remarked as Midge ran into the kitchen.

“Aunt Elladora?” he said raising his eyebrows.

“Why, do you not remember? She initiated the family’s house elf tradition,” she gestured to the wall where several heads of previous house elves who had served their duty hung. “I suppose this year my brother, Cygnus, will have the honors.” Sirius nodded. The more he was reminded of them, the more he despised the Black traditions.

“So back to this girl, who is she?”

“Mum, there is no girl,”

“You know, your cousin Bellatrix will be here tomorrow,”

“I’m not inbreeding if that’s what you are implying,” he said sarcastically.

“That is not quite what I meant. What’s her name?”

“There is no ‘her’,” he insisted.

His mother observed him, her eyes moved closer to his as if she was reading them and said, “Do you dare lie to me, Sirius?”

“I’m not. What do you expect me to say?”

“I expect you to tell the truth. I cannot monitor your behavior at that school and heaven knows what you are up to. You could be off mingling with some—some—,”

“Muggle-born?”

She shuddered and explained, “You do not seem to be excelling at Hogwarts.”

This was true, his grades were low and he was always up to something. He was known at school for being a mischief maker, but he kept if from his relatives. What could he say? There was no denying it. Sirius nodded and stood up to leave, but his mother’s words stopped him,

“Maybe if you were a Slytherin like the rest of the family this would not be a problem.”

“What does being in Gryffindor have to do with anything? I did not choose my house!”

“You dare lie to me?” her voice was rising echoing throughout the house, “That foul hat follows the wants and needs of the student. If you wanted to be in Slytherin you would be in Slytherin!”

Sirius remained silent. His mother, however, continued with much more vivacity.

“No, you chose to remain with the common mudbloods and weaklings who allow their foolish hearts to guide the way. They have no power. They have no strength. They have nothing. And let me tell you something,” she lowered her voice and adjusted her eyes so they met his, “bravery gets you nowhere. Power and strength are the only virtues any person could ever hope for, any mother could ever hope for. And you do not have them.”

Sirius remained still and silent. He had heard this before, several times in fact, from his mother, father, brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It no longer fazed him. He was proud to be in Gryffindor, and they knew it.

“And at the family reunion tomorrow there will be generations of Slytherins. I need you to show them your respect by acting like you would want nothing more than to have been chosen as one.” She concluded.

This had been asked of him before. He nodded and turned up the stairs to the hallway. As he was on the sixth step his mother added, “And if there is a girl, you’d better hope she is one of us.”

One of us. One of us? Since when was a muggle-born not a witch? Since when do I not have a choice between what was right and wrong?” he thought. He was tired of these rules. He was tired of this family. He was tired of this life. He just wanted the reunion to be over so he could go back to school to see his friends, people who actually cared about him.

I know it isn't much yet, but please give me FEEDBACK!

“I must learn to love the fool in me: the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.”

Read Love, Loss, and Devotion And also read Journey to Peace by Secunda

Rising Above the Rivalry (A Feud of the Past Must Come to an End . . . )

Last edited by magical4life; September 2nd, 2007 at 5:05 am.
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 5:02 am
Third Year

Re: Love, Loss, and Devotion: A Collection of Short Stories

Part 2: One Stormy Morning

The day of the family reunion was greeted by stormy skies, rainy and windy weather, and the booming sound of thunder echoing through the house. Sirius had been dreaming about a house elf that was stuck in a tree when he was shaken awake. Sirius opened his eyes slowly to see his brother, Regulus, standing above him.

“Mum told me to come and wake you,” he said. He looked much more like his mother and his eyes looked as if they were permanently narrowed because he was always glaring. He walked to the doorway.

“Okay,” Sirius responded, rolling over in his bed to go back to sleep.

“Sirius, don’t push it today. The day of the family reunion is rather important,” he assured him, but it was too late, “Fine.”

Zzzzzz . . .

Zzzzzz . . .

There was a booming sound from the hallway, but this time it was not thunder. Walburga raged up the stairs with her wand at the ready and thrust Sirius’s bedroom door open. She rushed in and Sirius found himself being woken by a painful electric shock. He shot straight up in his bed.

“Regulus woke you up half an hour ago!” she screamed.

“I must have—AGH!” she shot him with another white flash.

“Get up!” she said threatened, pointing her wand at him once more.

“I’m UP! I’m UP!” he put his hands over his head, as if it would protect him from her wrath, but she shocked him once more for the sake of it. The energy in his body was steadily decreasing with each shock.

“You better be, because one more hit and you will be out cold. Get out of bed and go down stairs! If you make me come up here again you truly will be sorry,” she warned at last, slamming the door behind her.

Sirius came down the stairs slowly, for he was aching from his wake up call, and entered the kitchen where his mother was cooking and Regulus was sitting.

“You made it,” Regulus said s******ing in his I-told-you-so tone.

Sirius rolled his eyes and continued to ask his mother what he should do to help.

“I need you to set up the tables for out guests. Go into the living room, clear the furniture and set up the chairs,” she stopped and looked around for a moment before continuing, “They will be here in about an hour so hurry up. And where is that godforsaken house elf?”

Sirius nodded and entered the living room. There were piles of chairs everywhere and the room suddenly looked tiny. Sirius pulled out his wand and waved it, muttering an incantation. The chairs mystically flew into the air and he flicked his wand in the places they should be. The door in front of him opened and he was joined by his brother, who seemed to be doing nothing whatsoever.

“Don’t you want to be following Dumbledore’s orders and not do magic outside of school? I thought you respected him.”

“Shut up, Regulus. You know mother thinks it is ‘good practice’ for us to do magic when not in school.”

“Is something wrong, Sirius? I am aggravating you? Do you want me to leave?”

Sirius said nothing. He just continued placing the chairs in order while his brother continued,

“Do you remember what happened at the last family reunion, Sirius?”

“I remember quite well,” he said in a hollow voice.

“I am sure the rest of the family has forgotten, don’t worry.”

“I am not worried.”

“Good. Mum thinks you are going to mess up again.”

Mess up? That was not my fault. You know that.”

“I do know that. But mom and dad don’t. The rest of the family doesn’t.”

“You said the rest of the family had forgotten.”

“I lied. I’m positive they will remember. The Black family forgets nothing,” he responded in a pitiful way. Sirius clenched his teeth.

“It was seven years ago, and I was only six. You were not even there at the time. It is not like I knew what I was saying. I was only six.”

“That’s too bad. Maybe the rest of the family would like you more if you had just kept your mouth shut. Or, maybe the rest of the family would like you more if you would just keep mouth shut all the time.”

Sirius filled with rage and swiftly shot a hex at Regulus. He missed by only inches and the purple beam hit the kitchen door, burning a hole through it. There was a scream from inside and Sirius cursed. The door was pushed open and their mother came out slowly.

“What happened?” she asked dangerously to Regulus.

“Sirius seems a little angry about something,” Regulus said, gesturing to the door.

She turned on Sirius who was glaring at Regulus and about to through another curse at him. She stepped over to him put down his outstretched wand arm and looked as if she was about to give him another electric shock. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Their three heads turned towards the door and Walburga stepped away from Sirius, giving him the same dangerous look.

“Somebody’s early,” she said. She walked down the hall entryway, stopped in front of a mirror to make sure she looked decent, and opened the door.

Good? Bad? Like it? Don't? Did you read it? PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK! I'm desperate here.

“I must learn to love the fool in me: the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.”

Last edited by magical4life; June 28th, 2007 at 6:36 am.
Old March 16th, 2007, 4:56 am
Third Year

Part 3: The Broken Black Brigade

“Cygnus!” cried Walburga. In walked Sirius’s uncle, a false smile spread across his face as he greeted them.

“How lovely it is to see you,” he said nicely.

“Where is the family? Are they not with you?” she asked.

“Oh, they’re on their way. I couldn’t wait around for the girls to continue getting ready. Honestly, they take forever,” he replied.

“Well come in and have a seat,” she gestured to the chairs Sirius had just set up, “And where on Earth is Orion? ORION!”

Down the steps came Sirius’s father, rushing for he was not completely ready. He was wonderfully handsome and had dark hair that swept in front of his eyes. He was stern and grave, though not entirely humorless. He rushed in to greet Cygnus.

“Good to see you. What has it been, a couple of years?” they shook hands and at that moment the doorbell again rang.

Sirius and Regulus were ordered to respond so the rest could start setting out the food. Regulus swung the door open and found himself facing four women. It was Druella, Sirius’s aunt who was married to Cygnus; Bellatrix, a foul and irritable cousin of Sirius’s; Narcissa, not much different from Bella; and Andromeda, the one cousin Sirius actually got along with. They rushed in, apparently wet from the pounding rain.

“Regulus! How is my favorite nephew? You look just as striking as ever. . . . And Sirius, you seem well also. I hope we have arrived on time,” Druella said politely. He knew that she disliked him and could see in her eyes the memory of the last reunion (it was at their house), but was just as polite.

“You have arrived just in time actually,” Sirius said formally. “I believe Uncle Cygnus is in the kitchen with my parents if you would like to join them.”

She consented and went to find her husband. Her daughters, on the other hand, lingered behind. All of them were older than Sirius, and Bellatrix and Andromeda had already graduated from Hogwarts. They seemed to get along very well with Regulus. As they began conversing, Sirius wondered when they had talked last. Andromeda, his favorite cousin, faced Sirius.

“Have you been looking forward to this?” she asked kindly.

“Not particularly,” he said. She agreed.

“Family reunions have always been such a bore. We put too much emphasis on family. It is all about being pure and being part of the right descent.”

“Yep,” he replied.

The doorbell rang several times more. The first time it was Arcturus, Sirius’s grandfather, and his wife Melania. As time passed, more people showed up and soon the whole family, plus or minus a few, was there. This included Cassiopeia and Dorea (accompanied by her husband Charlus), Sirius’s great-aunts; Pollux and Irma, Sirius’s grandparents; Alphred, his generous uncle; and Lucretia and Ignatius Prewett, his aunt and uncle. The house was consequently full and bustling with excitement. As Sirius inched his way across the room he heard bits of lofty conversation.

“—and so I said to the stupid squib, 'fine, if you want to be that way, take that!' And he turned around—,”

“—there really isn’t much you can do without having the proper ancestry, as I always say. If it wasn’t for his aunt I really don’t know what he would be—,”

“—there is no replacement for broomsticks, I tell you. This year there has been much controversy over who will win the tournament but I’m rooting for the Irish. The others have too many muggles on their team I hardly believe they have the skill to manage—,”

“—I told him I could not have my child growing up in an environment polluted with so much muggle-born society. If there is something to be taught it is who is really magical and who is just trying to be—,”

“—and then the leprechaun says to the muggle—hey Sirius! Where do you think you’re going?” Sirius stopped and looked up to see who was talking. It was Uncle Alphard. “Come join us in conversation! I haven’t seen you since the party at Callidora’s. How’ve you been?” he said good-naturedly.

“Just fine,” Sirius said with a smile.

“‘Just fine’ you say? Is Gryffindor treating you well?” Lucretia joined in mockingly.

“As a matter of fact it is,” Sirius said but decided he should follow his mother’s orders and added, “But I would much rather be in Slytherin.”

“Well, who wouldn’t? Gryffindor is far overrated. They all are lacking the most important thing . . . power. What can they do that is worth while in comparison to Slytherin? You had a dreadful fate ending up with those foul half-breeds.” Irma continued. Sirius winced.

“I agree. You think they can have a reunion so successfully? Never, their families are broken and crossed.” Arcturus continued, “Wouldn’t you agree, Sirius?”

Sirius nodded. He knew the avoided subject was surfacing.

“Your views have changed since our last meeting, have they?” said Lucretia inquired.

“My views?”

“At our last reunion, you mentioned that the pure-blood ancestry was ‘irrelevant to how much magic one can withhold.’ So outspoken for a boy,” she continued.

“Now, Lucretia, I am sure Sirius barely remembers such a thing. He was very young, after all.” Alphard insisted.

“Oh, really? A mere seven years eludes you, Sirius?”

“Well, I have been taught otherwise since then.” Sirius replied.

“I’m sure,” said Arcturus said. The rest of them cackled. “Where is that house-elf? How unreliable it has been, I need another drink. This will definitely be its fatal day.” Sirius took this time to excuse himself. His frustration was overwhelming.

He shuffled into the kitchen pretending to be getting something; dinner was happening soon. Surprisingly, the Black sisters were inside discussing something in privacy. They stopped and gazed at him as he walked through the doorway.

“Well, look who it is: the family disappointment. Come in here to eat, Sirius, or are you just fed up with the rest of them?” Bellatrix taunted.

“It’s nice to see you too, thanks,” Sirius replied.

“Oh, you know, I’m just looking out for you. It’s what relatives do,”

Just then Regulus walked in behind him, shoving Sirius to the side. Evidently he had been in there just before because he was not at all surprised to find them all in there.

“I am not sure if I can believe it,” said Narcissa, continuing the conversation that had been having before the intrusion. “So much power is incredible.”

“Believe it. Supposedly he will be the strongest we’ve seen in a long time. It wouldn’t be too bad to be on his good side, if you know what I mean,” Regulus intervened.

“What about Hogwarts?” Andromeda asked.

“That dreadful place? We’ll be out of there soon enough. You’ve already graduated so you don’t have to worry about it. I’m not sure there is much more useful magic we can actually learn. For the real magic we will have to check into our outside sources.” said Narcissa.

“Outside sources, Cissy?” asked Andromeda.

“Well, supposing we had outside sources, we could become masters of magic not allowed at Hogwarts,”

“All the more reason to join him,” Bellatrix added.

“Dark magic will not bring you more power,” Andromeda said forcefully, “It will only cause more destruction. Is that what you want? Destruction?”

“Of course you would think that, Ande,” Narcissa replied. “We are already aware of your opinions.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“How’s Ted?”

“Cissy! You promised not to say anything here. If anybody finds out—,”

“Oh, please, Andromeda, we ALL know what you’re going to be,” Regulus chided.

“And that is?”

“Another burn on the tapestry. Being pure means nothing to you.” Bellatrix finished.

“At least our future is unraveling before us. He has got the right idea, and we will be led to greatness.” Regulus said.

“Are you sure, Regulus? What if it is some sort of trap?” Bella inquired.

“What trap can there be? Even Sirius knows a good thing when he sees it.” They all turned to him expectantly. Sirius gave them a blank stare.

“I’m not sure what you are talking about.”

They all opened their mouths to say something when interrupted by a pounding sound coming from the cabinet. All except Andromeda and Sirius s******ed. Sirius curiously approached the cabinet and listened. Faintly he could hear a voice.

“Please, sir. Let me to my duty. Please, sir!” It was Midge, the elderly house elf. Sirius quickly opened the cabinet and released the house elf. She scrambled out and Sirius looked inside to find it was one of the smallest, darkest, and stuffiest cabinets they had (and they had A LOT).

“What was she doing in there?” he said angrily.

“Oh, calm down, Sirius,” Bellatrix said, “We were only making sure she didn’t have an escape attempt before her execution. Is there something wrong with that?”

“Yes.”

“No, let her be in there. That way she won’t be in the way. Midge, stay in the cabinet until I tell you to come out,” said Regulus. Midge stopped and reluctantly reentered the cabinet, shutting the door with a sniffle.

“No, Midge, get out of there!” Sirius said.

But she already had orders. He turned to Regulus to give him a piece of his mind when dinner was announced. Regulus, Narcissa, and Bellatrix all filed from the kitchen, but Andromeda stayed behind. Sirius looked at her, upon which she hung her head. He shrugged his shoulders and exited, leaving her standing there alone, listening to the stifled cries of Midge.

The table had been magically set, and it included magnificent dark floating candles. Most guests were already sitting at the table. Sirius took his seat next to his father and mother. His brother sat across from him, also. The food was steaming, hot, and delicious. Arcturus did the honors of making a toast.

“I would like to propose a toast,” they all rose their glasses in the air, “for our dear family Black, Toujours pur!”

The clinking of glasses echoed the room and they all responded with a hearty “Toujours pur!” Without hesitation, the ensemble began eating. Sirius had lost his appetite, however, so remained picking at his food. Fortunately, the first half of the meal consisted of only light talk. He sat back and attempted enjoying himself as much as possible. It didn’t work.

His father turned to him, noticing his lack of hunger. “Is the food not suiting you, Sirius?” he asked.

Sirius sighed before replying, “No, the food is wonderful. I am not feeling well.” Visions of Midge flashed in his mind, followed by his friends from school, and sizzling burns on the tapestry. He pushed the thoughts from his mind.

“We cannot tell you how wonderful this is, Walburga.” Cassiopeia encouraged Sirius’s mother. “Reunions of the ancestors have always been so pleasant, and they have run in the family for centuries!”

“Well, it wasn’t much trouble at all. What is more fun than a house full of people?” Walburga smiled falsely.

“Speaking of which,” Grandfather Pollux declared, “I have prepared a surprise for my dearest daughter. Irma would you mind?” Irma nodded and snapped her fingers importantly. What seemed like a huge rectangle appeared, but it was covered by a hefty white sheet.

“Oh, father, you shouldn’t have!” Walburga said, leaping up. Pollux placed his hand on the sheet.

“Are you ready for a surprise?” he said. Walburga grinned and nodded excitedly. Suddenly she seemed like a young girl opening a big beautiful birthday gift.

“Well, be prepared--!” he did a great swipe of the arm and the sheet gently flowed to the ground. Sirius’s mouth fell open.

Desperate for more? I know you are. Yep, I can tell by all of those posts in my feedback thread. Just for my reassurance, however, it would be just lovely if you posted some FEEDBACK. (Note the sarcasm) Please give me feedback! I have a total of 4 posts (and 2 of them are mine!) This story is nothing without its readers, after all.

Old March 19th, 2007, 5:27 am
Third Year

Part 4: The Finale

It was a full life-size portrait of his mother. Her mannerisms were exact to the real thing and she looked identical. Walburga in the portrait and the real Walburga gazed at each other in awe. The rest of the family applauded.

“Oh, it’s wonderful!” she exclaimed.

“Where would we put it?” Regulus asked. The house was already filled with so much useless stuff (it was a hobby of his father’s to collect) that there was hardly any room.

“It will fit in the hall,” Orion said. Sirius rolled his eyes. Great, his mother would be at two places at once. There goes all privacy.

The course menu moved onto dessert, and finally, dinner came to a close. It was nearing time for people to leave. The rain had continued beating down outside and they had become accustomed to the white flashes of lighting through the windows. Sirius was thankful he had gotten through it all, but shouldn’t have counted his blessings.

“I have been given the pleasure to announce,” spoke Cygnus over the noise. They quieted. “That the night is about to come to a close.” The crowd ‘awwwww’ed. He continued, “But it is not over quite yet. It just so happens that I have also been given the pleasure of hosting the beheading of our aged and useless Midge, which will be taking place in ten minutes. She was a wonderful house elf once, but has hit her prime and can barely even carry a tea tray now. The reunion will end with some entertainment after all!”

The crowd applauded once more. Sirius and Andromeda looked at each other, in a mixture of fear and excitement. Andromeda sighed and pushed the hair out of her face. Only then did Sirius realize just how beautiful she was. She looked not much like her sisters, and had gentleness in her features that they lacked. He hoped Ted Tonks knew just how lucky he was.

“Sirius!” Walburga snapped.

“Yeah?” he answered.

“Go find her and bring her into the living room! Now, people are getting impatient!” she urged.

“Why do I have to do it?”

“Excuse me?”

Sirius grunted. He grabbed Regulus, who was standing behind him, and dragged him by the arm into the kitchen. He imagined the look on the house elf’s face, the fear flooding through her. They walked into the empty kitchen. There was silence, and Midge had settled down. Sirius braced himself and walked to the cabinet. He looked expectantly at Regulus.

“What?” he said. Realizing the house elf was still under his orders, he released her from the cabinet and returned to the living room rapidly. Midge looked wide-eyed at Sirius who sighed and bent down to her eye level.

“Are you here to lead me to my death, Sir Black?” she asked him with a quavering voice. He nodded, glancing around. Lowering his voice to a whisper, he said,

“If you want, I can get you out of here. All you have to do is get away through the back door, I’m letting you. You don’t have to have this terrible fate.”

She suddenly looked very afraid of him. Stepping backwards, she shook her head. “And not follow the family tradition?”

“And not follow the family tradition. I’ll convince everybody that you escaped and that there is no finding you now.”

She went from looking afraid to angry. “You want me to disobey the Blacks? This is the way it has been for years! Midge knows better than to defy her masters. It is my honor to die having served such a pure family. It is Midge’s honor,” she concluded. She then strode into the living room without even a glance at him, leaving him once again alone.

He didn’t understand. Why would anybody want that fate? He exited the kitchen to find that the festivities were already in place. Midge was standing next to Cygnus, who was standing next to a guillotine, which was stationed in front of the crowd. Sirius figured it was Cygnus who owned the guillotine for he had an assortment of odd treasures.

“Is everybody ready for the finale?” he asked. The family roared, sounding like they were at a Quidditch match.

Midge was placed at the bottom. Sirius winced at the shimmering blade above her. Her eyes were wide and afraid but she stayed where she was.

“Let’s have a countdown! Five . . .”

“Four!”

“Three . . .”

“Two!”

Sirius couldn’t take it; he could not watch. He rushed from the room and out the front door, unnoticed by anybody. As he was about to shut the door behind him he heard the distinct sound of “ONE!” and the slice of the blade, followed by a dull thud. The crowd thundered with excitement just as the thunder from the rain clouds outside did. Sirius stepped out into the rain and grey dullness of the outdoors, walking down the street until he felt he was far enough away. He sat down on the curb of the sidewalk and buried his head in his hands.

How could he have stood there and witnessed that? How could any of them? He could not stand it any longer; his family, his house, his . . . life, was all a mess. He was a Gryffindor and, sure, he did not value his purity (he actually resented it), but he never thought his vain family could bother him this much. There was the splash of footsteps approaching him. He raised his head and saw Andromeda approaching with a grave look upon her face.

She sat next to him slowly. She placed a hand on Sirius’s shoulder to comfort him but he pulled it away.

“Why didn’t she do anything?”

“Who?”

“Midge? She could have gotten away, she could have saved herself, but she refused. Why?”

“She’s a house elf. House elves do their duty because they are meant to. They are not supposed to have feelings or judgments or options other than the ones their masters give them. They don’t want freedom or choice. They want to be ordered around. I don’t understand it either,” she added at the look on his face.

“I guess you’re right. Then why does our family have to be so . . . so. Every tradition, every value, every concept revolves around ancestry. Even our house elves are pure!”

“We cannot change what our family values are, Sirius. There are only two of us.”

“Two burns on the tapestry.”

“Yep, something I am looking forward to. But not quite yet,” she said.

“Do you think it will ever end? Does purity matter to you?” he asked above the sound of the pounding rain.

“Me? I don’t think that a person’s magical ability is measured by who their family is. I don’t believe that pure families have it off better. We can love just as well as muggle families can. That is what’s important. I’ve learned it from Ted. We’re going to get married soon, I just don’t think now is the time to tell everyone. He makes me so happy. And, no, I don’t think it will end anytime soon. You heard Bella and Cissy talking about him.”

“Who?”

“There is a rumor spreading that there is a powerful wizard who is against all impure witches and wizards. He is causing uproar. Eventually we’ll be at war, I can feel it. I know whose side I will be on, though.”

“Me too.”

“But until then I am sticking with my kin and enjoying it while I can. There are some advantages.”

“I wish I could say the same, but I cannot take it. Any of it. Let them loathe me, wish harm against me for all I care, but I will not stand it any longer. I’m leaving, running away.”

“Where will you go?”

“There are some people I can always rely on. They remain loyal through thick and thin, they will help me.”

“Potter and Lupin?”

“Yeah. Maybe James can take me in until I can get my own place.”

“Now?”

“No, I’ll stick it out for as long as I can. I’m not sure how long that will be.”

“Then you will be the only one,” she bit her lip.

“You never know, maybe one of our relatives will have a change of heart,” he said.

Although it was hard to tell from the rain, tears spilled from Andromeda’s eyes. She instantly wiped her tears (that were not visible because of the rain) away. She never had the chance to show emotion around the rest of her family. Ted was the only one she could rely on. But Sirius understood her feelings, they were both alone. He put a hand on her shoulder.

After a short bit of time, she recovered and decided to return to the party since her parents were probably looking for her, ready to leave. Sirius bid her farewell but lingered behind; he wanted to wait until they were all gone. He sat back down on the curb and immersed himself in thoughts of escape. Eventually he would be getting away. He knew he could not do it then, without a plan or place to stay. Though, he dreaded returning to his home to find two of his mother, his idiot brother, and a fresh addition to the collection of house elf heads.

“Am I doing the right thing?” he thought to himself. He had done so much already without getting caught that he had become quite good at it. Then, it was final. His fate was decided. He walked through the street with the rain slapping against his face, smiling at his decision. He looked forward to the journey to the impure, pathetic, broken life that he had for so long desired.

The End

This was the last installment to The Black Family Reunion! If you liked it, post it in my feedback thread. Also, tell your friends, since I am lacking readers! I will treat you with another story soon, so be prepared. That's all I will tell you though, you'll have to read it! And check out my stories in the Writing Contest.

Thanks!

Old March 30th, 2007, 4:06 am
Third Year

SO before my next story I would like to thank everyone who read and/or posted feedback about The Black Family Reunion. I really appreciate it! I entered part 1 of this next story in the Writing Contest (3rd Place!) and I decided I liked it so I am going to finish. It is the HBP Ron/Hermione incident from Hermione's point of view. And trust me, there is way more than what just Harry saw. So without further ado . . .

A Complex Relationship

Hermione rushed up the steps to the dormitory after a long day. She felt . . . different. Giddy, excited, nervous, totally absentminded: all of the strange feelings overwhelmed her. She took a deep breath and opened the door she had advanced to so quickly.

Walking in, she saw Parvati and Lavender. Lavender was whispering excitedly but stopped abruptly when she saw Hermione. She looked Hermione up and down, as if evaluating her, and then wordlessly sat down on her bed. Confused, Hermione looked at Parvati, who hadn’t noticed a thing.

“Ooh, Hermione, your face is all red, something the matter?” Parvati said nosily.

“My face?” she reached up and touched her cheek. Indeed it was warm and blushing. She could not help but grinning broadly. “Well, I was walking kind of fast up the staircase. I just returned from Herbology,” she mentioned.

“That smile! There is only one thing can provoke a smile like that, especially out of you. A boy. Well, who is it?” Parvati continued. Hermione’s smile did not falter at the question; somehow, her grin felt permanent. Lavender listened intently, acting as if she didn’t care. Hermione attempted pulling herself together and said,

“What makes you say that?”

“Yep, it’s definite.” Parvati said, looking at Lavender for reassurance. She nodded. “So, who is it? Do I know him?”

“Um . . . I don’t really think that—,”

“Is he older? You seem like you would date someone older, like Krum.”

“I don’t know if I feel comfortable talking about this,” Hermione said. She bit her lip.

“Oh, please. You need to start getting used to talking to girls. It’s a wonder what having to guy friends can do to your self esteem! Is he handsome?”

“Well . . .” She thought about it. She really had never talked about this to anybody before. The only girlfriend she had was Ginny, who it would be awkward to talk about Ron with. “Yeah.”

“She admits it,” Lavender replied, smirking.

“He is handsome and funny, daring and trustworthy!” she closed her eyes and pictured him, then plopped down on her bed. “I just don’t know his feelings about me exactly. He is too shy to make the first move,”

“Why don’t you make the first move?” Parvati asked.

“I did. We are going to Slughorn’s party together, and he seemed pretty excited so I think we are on the same terms.”

“You think?” said Lavender.

“Well, yeah. I mean, I didn’t specifically say that it was a date but . . .”

Lavender and Parvati exchanged looks. Hermione looked at them questioningly.

“You see,” Lavender said knowingly, “that’s why you need to be a little more flirtatious.”

“Flirtatious?” said Hermione, raising her eyebrows.

“Otherwise,” she continued, “Someone else could just . . .” she made a swiping gesture to the air in front of Hermione, “sweep him off his feet.”

“Oh, I don’t think that will happen,” She remembered the Yule Ball in fourth year, how Ron did not even pay attention to Padma and how Harry did the same to Parvati. But she knew that Ron would not treat her that way since they already had a strong bond. However, she did not want to ruin it. She faced an internal struggle with possibly losing their friendship if things turned ugly. She convinced herself that would not happen, though, despite Ron’s stubbornness. They could not do that to each other, they could not do that to Harry.

“Maybe you’re right,” said Parvati. “Those older sensitive guys may like someone a little less upfront.”

Lavender glared at her and looked at Hermione. For some reason, her look seemed somewhat dangerous. Hermione thought she must be imagining things.

“I don’t know how to be flirtatious,” she said. “I just am myself and hope that guys like me that way.”

“I guess that works,” Lavender intervened, “for some guys. But I think you’ll find that most of them are not that way. You need to laugh at their jokes, say mysterious things, strut your stuff, play hard to get, things like that to get them to notice you right away. Then before you know it, he’s holding you in his arms.”

“I’ll stick to my own tactics, if that’s okay.”

“Alright, but I’m warning you. If you do not act fast, he’ll be taken.”

Parvati glanced between them, and then decided to agree with Lavender.

“Flirt first. Be yourself later,” she said.

Hermione considered it as she grabbed the book she had come up to get. As she was walking out of the room she looked back and said,

“I might try that.”

Hermione could have sworn that she saw Lavender wink at her, smirking, as she exited.

It is not much but . . . FEEDBACK!

Last edited by magical4life; June 25th, 2007 at 2:41 am.
Old March 30th, 2007, 4:29 am
Third Year

A week later, on Saturday, Hermione was fuming. She trudged up the grounds after the Quidditch Game alone. How could she have been so positive about Ron last week and feel so horrible now? She walked at a medium pace, there was obviously going to be a post-game party and she wasn’t particularly looking forward to it.

How was I supposed to know that Harry was trying to fool Ron into believing he was using Felix Felicis? Now he’s angry with me! Well, angrier than before. But why was angry yesterday, anyway, what did I do? He’s been ornery for the past couple of days, mostly towards me. I finally stepped up and asked him out and this is what happens.

She passed couple of first years who waved excitedly at her. She ignored them and looked straight ahead.

Maybe Lavender was right. Maybe I should be more flirtatious. But I’ve never done that before, that’s not me. Ron wouldn’t like that. Would he? I am beginning to think that I do not know Ron at all anymore. Now I’m losing a best friend, too.

She eventually made it into the castle. Several Slytherins hissed at her as she walked by, and other Gryffindors smiled cheerfully because of their win. Hermione preferred the former; when they smiled it seemed as if they were mocking her. But she knew that was not their fault.

Not wanting to deal with the crowds, she decided to take a hidden passageway. She slipped behind a peculiar statue and climbed the stairs hidden behind them. The staircase was long, extending up to the next floor, and the stairs themselves were dusty from lack of use. She ascended quietly, ignoring the stressing knot in her chest, and considered her options. Why don’t they have a book in the library on stuff like this? she thought.

Out of the corner of her eye she all of a sudden caught a glimpse of something curious. Wondering where the movement had come from, she approached the top of the staircase and saw Malfoy. He was conversing with his obtuse “friends” in a hollow voice, sounding thoroughly unpleased. He always sounded that way, nowadays. To Hermione, being stuck in an ill-used staircase with three possibly dangerous boys was not a brilliant idea, so she attempted to go back unseen. But before she could turn around, her name was called.

“Got something to say, Granger?” Malfoy’s voice rang.

She glanced up. “Not particularly.”

“You want to know why I didn’t play today, too? I’m sure Potter does.”

“No.”

He narrowed his eyebrows.

“Just leave me alone, Malfoy,” she said scathingly.

“Or what?” He pulled out his wand threateningly. For a just moment she peered into his darkened eyes. They were filled with hidden anxiety and fear, she actually found herself pitying him. She shook her head. Without a word, she walked passed his out stretched wand. The other two idiots’ mouths dropped as she went through the exit of the passageway while Malfoy did nothing.

At first, she was sort of nervous, thinking of what she might tell Harry. But she had a feeling Harry did not need more encouragement in his accusation of Malfoy. But before she could decide, her thoughts returned to Ron. She drew near a Hufflepuff couple in the hallway. They were holding hands and laughing softly at a comment he had whispered in her ear. She watched them go by and remembered her first date with Krum. For some reason it felt like ages ago. The empty hallways, the visits to the library, his polite compliments, the kiss . . .

As she was approaching the hall of the common room she took a deep breath. Her conceived solution was simple. She was going to approach Ron and talk the issue over, as friends. It sounded much easier than it was. She had no idea what she would say, or do for that matter, but she thought it might just work itself out. The fat lady asked for the password and Hermione answered willingly. The door swung open and she paused before entering. Sudden fear rushed through her. But what was she afraid of? She calmed herself down and entered.

The room was filled with bustling excitement. Instantly, she was approached by Cormac McLaggen.

“Are you just arriving?” he said.

“Oh, yes, I had some things to take care of so . . .”

“Well, the party is still going. It was a great game for Gryffindor. Would you like to join me?” he gestured to the beverage table, which was covered with butterbeers.

“Actually, I think I’m going to go to bed. I’m rather tired.”

“Suit yourself.” He shrugged and sulked off towards the table.

Hermione looked around for Ron. She noticed Harry and Ginny were carrying out conversation near the couches; Ron was not with them. She glanced by the fire, but Ron was not there. Then, the beverage table. Not there either. She attempted seeing if he was by the stairs to the dormitories, but her vision was obscured. There were people crowded around the stairs and a particularly passionate couple in the center of the room blocking her view.

Hermione suddenly froze. There he was, clutching Lavender in an affectionate embrace openly in the middle of the room. She did not know what to do. Her eyes were blurring, the sounds around her were transforming into a monotonous hum, and she felt like she was about to vomit. Tears sprung from her eyes and raced down her cheeks. She turned on her heels and dashed from the room, hoping nobody had noticed her.

She raced down the corridor. Not knowing where to go, she went from classroom to classroom shaking doorknobs in order to find an empty classroom where she could be alone. She wanted to get away from Ron, Lavender, Parvati, Ginny, Harry, everybody for as long as she could without them noticing her absence. Finally, she found a classroom unlocked and hurried in, slamming the door behind her. She sat down at one of the desks and buried her head in her hands in frustration. Unfamiliar feelings were overpowering her now: betrayal, defeat, heartbreak, and even abhorrence.

Why did I ever try? This is entirely my fault. I should have left things be. But how could he? He knew I liked him! I know he liked me. So where did I go wrong? Maybe I didn’t. Ron is just being the selfish pig he really is. Yeah. Did he not consider the way I would feel?

Not wanting to go into hysterics, she calmed herself down. She wiped her wet face on her sleeve and pulled out her wand, using a nonverbal incantation. Out of her wand’s tip came several yellow birds that zoomed around her head. The sight of them comforted her and she began twirling her bushy hair with her fingers, deep in thought. Taking a deep breath she determined that it was pointless to wallow in self-pity. There would eventually be someone else; eventually the man of her dreams would come. She had been mistaken about Ron. He had stooped lower than she ever thought he could.

Abruptly, Hermione heard her name being called outside the room. She quickly fixed her hair and wiped her eyes so it did not look like she was crying. Then, Harry walked in. There was a pause. She acted natural.

“Oh, hello, Harry,” she said weakly. “I was just . . . practicing.” She gestured to the zooming birds.

Harry seemed unaware of what to do. She could tell he was there to comfort her, but it was obvious he did not know what to say. His loyalty was comfort enough. The silence, though, was sickening as he stared blankly at her, so she spoke up in the strongest voice she could muster.

“Ron seemed to be enjoying the celebrations.” Her voice creaked.

“Er . . . does he?” She blushed.

“Don’t pretend you didn’t see him,” said Hermione frustrated. “He wasn’t exactly hiding it, was—?”

Unexpectedly, Ron walked through the door. He was guiding Lavender by the hand into the room when he saw Harry and Hermione. Abruptly he halted and Lavender said something foolishly as she backed out. Hermione wasn’t surprised; the tension in the room was revolting. Ron was not looking at her. Never the less, she stared at him with hurt eyes, wondering why he couldn’t even face her now. He mumbled something irrelevant to Harry, who refused to respond. Not wanting to remain in the room with him, Hermione got off the desk. Anger was pulsing through her blood. He was not only vindictive, he was pathetic.

“You shouldn’t leave Lavender waiting outside; she’ll wonder where you’ve gone.” She stood tall, with her head held high, and leisurely walked towards the door. The birds floating above her followed.

Let him go do whatever he wants with Lavender for all I care, she thought. If he does not want to be around me, if he doesn’t need me anymore, I don’t want to be around him either. He cannot even look at me.

She could not take his cowardice anymore. He was well aware of what he had done, and didn't own up to it. She was so angry with him her hands began to shake as she involuntarily pulled the wand from her pocket. Turning around, she saw the relieved look on his face. He obviously thought that he had gotten by without a scratch. He thought wrong.

With one last burst of aggravation she yelled, “Oppungo!” The birds twirling above her darted at Ron. It was like an old movie Hermione had seen once called The Birds except WAY better. He ducked to no avail. Without another word the emotion she had been holding in erupted as she dashed out the door. Yet, somehow, she was filled with extreme satisfaction.

Wow, that was emotional. My next installment: comedy. I am planning on one more part to this story (when Lavender breaks up with Ron) but I could also add another. Any preferences? If this story is getting old/repetetive tell me in my FEEDBACK thread along with any other suggestions. Hope you like it so far!

Last edited by magical4life; March 30th, 2007 at 4:50 am.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:48 pm
Third Year

The next a month was spent unsuccessfully loathing Ron and Hermione was miserable. The previous weeks involved several crying fits (sometimes almost during class), going to bed at seven o’clock every night, and living with the girl who at that moment she despised most. Lavender made it habit to come in late at night while Hermione was supposedly sleeping to rave about Ron. Ron this and Ron that. It even evolved into an argument between her and Hermione, in which it was evident who Hermione was speaking of during their conversation some weeks past.

Hermione was getting tired of being alone. She felt even worse for putting Harry in his current position: right in the middle. Harry conversed with her in the library while Ron was with Lavender (which was just about all the time) but it was not the same. He even attempted persuading her into talking to Ron, which she absolutely refused to do. She pretended like it did not affect her, like nothing had happened. But the fact was that something did happen and it affected her more than she wanted it to.

She ended up going to Slughorn’s party with Cormac McLaggen, who actually thought she liked him, and hid practically the whole night. The plan to make Ron jealous did not succeed. It was as if they were at war with each other, and Hermione felt that she was losing terribly. Little did she know, Ron was thinking the same.

Her Christmas consisted of staying with her parents, which was nice since they did not see each other very often. Though, it was still exceedingly boring and dull. She had nobody to talk to and ended up being alone the majority of the time there, too. Mr. and Mrs. Granger noticed a certain melancholy that Hermione usually never had when she was home. They also wondered why she was not spending Christmas with her friends like she did the past two years. Hermione convinced them that she was almost failing one of her classes because she lost one of her papers. This was far from true, especially since she spent most of her time doing homework, but they believed it. Her grades, however, were dropping due to her lack of concentration and enthusiasm that normally accompanied her work. Hermione returned from vacation determined to make things better.

Even still, she could barely stand facing Ron and could last only a few seconds around him. Once March approached all Hermione looked forward to was apparation lessons on Saturdays.

On Saturday the 1st, Hermione stumbled out of bed early in the morning. She was having trouble sleeping and having horrid dreams, so the point of staying in bed was nonexistent. She had been dreaming that she was on a boat leading to Hogwarts, like the ones the first years use, with Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, Harry, McLaggen, Parvati, Lavender, and (of course) Ron in the middle of the lake. It was quite obvious that the boat was sinking because of the weight, so they were arguing over who should be thrown off. Ron and Lavender were deeply engrossed in one another’s company, their eyes never parting the other’s gape, while Hermione sat between them. Cormac was trying to convince Hermione that the lake was filled with mistletoe and Hagrid had decided to bring some undistinguishable fire-breathing creature on board. McGonagall was calculating everyone’s weight and then suddenly it became unanimous that Hermione had to go for the boat to stay afloat. However, she did not realize it until she was hurtled into the lake.

As she hit the water, she jerked awake at 5 AM.

It’s better this way, Hermione thought comforting herself, I won’t have to deal with Lavender until our apparation lesson. Glancing at Lavender’s bed she was pleased to find that she was sound asleep. Then, Hermione had the abrupt feeling that she had forgotten something. She shrugged her shoulders, dressed, and began to exit the room. As she was leaving, she stepped on something.

It was a photograph. Hermione picked it up and realized that it must have fallen from her trunk when she was searching for her scarf. Smiling up at her were herself and Ron; it was taken in their fourth year just before the Quidditch World Cup while she was staying with the Weasleys for the first time. Mrs. Weasley gave it to her over the summer and Hermione was planning on giving it to Ron for his birthday. Hermione jumped, remembering; it was Ron’s birthday that day.

She stared at the photo for a few minutes reflecting, then pulled out her wand and started a small flame to it. It crinkled and shuddered to the ground. The last thing she wanted to remember was that quidditch match.

The Great Hall was practically empty, so she sat alone, eating nothing because of her lost appetite. She was studying for a Transfiguration exam on Monday, though she already went over it several times finding it incredibly simple.

“Hermione?” she turned around and Luna Lovegood was standing over her. Smiling, she continued. “What are you doing up so early?”

“Oh, I couldn’t sleep,” Hermione gestured for her to sit down.

“Thanks,” she sat. “I couldn’t sleep either. Though, I get up this early almost every day.” Hermione nodded. “So, how are things going with your friend Ron?”

“I don’t really want to talk about it.”

“I understand. No improvement then?”

“Not really, no.”

“I’m sure it will all work out.”

“Right about now I don’t think it will, Luna.”

“It will, trust me. People write into the Quibbler all the time asking for advice on problems like these. Then a few weeks later they write again explaining how it all worked out.”

"And you really believe all those stoires?"

"Why not?"

Hermione smiled and thanked Luna for the support. She bid her farewell and headed to the library where she might be able to relax for the next few hours.

Later that day Hermione ventured to apparation class where, surprisingly, Ron and Harry were missing. Lavender was acting fretful, saying she had not seen Ron since he ran from the common room distractedly, ignoring her, that morning. Hermione rolled her eyes and began reviewing the rules of apparation in her head. Just then, Professor McGonagall walked by, but stopped at the sight of Hermione.

“I did not expect to see you here, Ms. Granger.”

“You didn’t?”

“Why, I thought, you’d be with your friends.”

Hermione looked at her questioningly, noting the concerned look on her face. This was serious. Could Harry be hurt? Did he and Dumbledore do something she did not know about? What did it have to do with Ron? Surely, he would have come to get her if something happened to Harry. Wouldn’t he?

“What happened?” Hermione said seriously. McGonagall looked around before lowering her voice and telling her.

“Mr. Weasley is in the hospital wing, badly injured. He was almost killed—!”

Hermione’s face turned pale and she tore from the hall before McGonagall even finished her sentence. Everything she had been angry about, upset about, disgruntled about, did not matter anymore. Ron was in danger and he needed her there. She looked back and received one final glimpse of Lavender, who was now laughing at one of Seamus’s jokes, totally unaware of her boyfriend’s condition.

As she approached the hospital wing she saw Harry. She rushed up to him, practically knocking him over, and commanded him to tell her what happened.

“HARRY! Did you—how did—what—?”

“Hermione, calm down! Ron is fine; he’s alive.”

Alive? What exactly happened?”

“You remember those spiked love potions Romilda Vane gave me a while ago?”

“Oh, no.”

“Evidently, Ron’s presents got mixed up with them and he ate almost half the box.”

“I do not like where this is going. Continue!” Hermione said biting her lip.

“Well, he started acting funny and saying he could not conceal his love any longer. I did not really know who he was talking about at first,” he looked into her eyes, which were wide and confused, “because I forgot about the chocolate cauldrons. Then he started rambling on and on about Romilda Vane and I realized what happened. So I took him to Slughorn who knew exactly what to do, though it was a struggle getting him there.”

“But what happened?” she urged.

“I’m getting to that. Slughorn had the idea, after Ron was cured, to have a drink. Ron was still a little out of it and he thought it might help,” he assured. “So he opened a bottle of mead that he said he got from Madame Rosmerta for Dumbledore over Christmas. It was poisoned.”

“Then why are you and Slughorn perfectly fine?” she said, flustered and growing even paler.

“Ron drank first and instantly started to convulse. Slughorn was in shock so I shoved a bezoar down Ron’s throat. Luckily, it saved him.”

Hermione leaned against the wall and slid down, groaning. She felt terrible. All of those weeks they were fighting could have been his last. Looking up she saw Ginny approaching sternly. Hermione sat in silence while Harry explained the situation again. It was worse the second time. Ginny sat down next to Hermione and they all waited until they were allowed in.

After a while, they were admitted. Ron lay sleeping peacefully in his bed and they all gathered round. Soon after, they were joined by Fred and George. A discussion ensued. Hermione remained in disbelief, not commenting on much. She could not shake the thought of Ron’s near death experience. She stared at Ron, gently sleeping. He looked so innocent and worry-free. Her heart pounded in her chest as he shifted delicately.

“Er-my-nee,” he said completely unexpectedly. The room fell silent and Hermione leaned forward earnestly, her eyes full of hope. To her dismay, he mumbled something and fell back to sleep.

I’m here for you, Ron. I am here for you. She clasped his hand.

Okay, so I lied. There will be more than four parts to this. But I am really liking it so far and I hope you are too! Feedback

Last edited by magical4life; April 6th, 2007 at 12:15 am.
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:31 am
Third Year

The next day, everyone knew about the incident, including Lavender. Hermione, however, wanted to see him before Lavender got the chance. She decided to visit him during her free period, hoping he would be awake.

As she drew near the hospital wing, she heard voices through the door.

“But Madam Pomfrey!”

“For goodness sake, child, SHH! I cannot control when my patients sleep. And, frankly, he needs his rest so I refuse to allow you to wake him. The more sleep he gets, the sooner he will get better!”

“But he’s my—!”

“I know he’s your boyfriend but I simply cannot allow it. Come back another time!”

Hermione ducked around the corner as Lavender came storming out of the room. She walked right passed her without even noticing. After sighing with relief Hermione went to knock on the door to the hospital wing. It was worth a shot. Madam Pomfery wrenched open the door and opened her mouth to say something, thinking that Lavender had returned. At the sight of Hermione she stopped and shrugged.

“Unfortunately, Ms. Granger, I must tell you what I told Ms. Brown. Ron is sleeping at the present time and is not accepting visitors. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.”

Hermione was about to speak but Madam Pomfery shut the door abruptly. She stood there a moment, staring at the closed door, before hanging her head and heading down the corridor.

“Ms. Granger!”

She wheeled around to see Madam Pomfery poking her head out the door. She motioned for Hermione to come back. Curious, she returned.

“Miraculously, Ronald woke up as you were talking to me.” Madam Pomfery said, rolling her eyes. “He has requested to see you.”

Hermione grinned and dashed through the door. She halted at the sight of him. Ron was sitting up in his bed, wide awake, looking at Hermione anxiously. She continued walked towards him at a slow pace, seeming apprehensive. Once she reached his bed there was silence. Noticing the awkwardness, Madam Pomfery exited the room. A minute or two passed before Ron, who was deep in thought, spoke.

“I’m sorry.”

She sat on the bed, and their eyes locked.

“Me, too.”

They gazed at each other for a moment and Hermione smiled.

“What are you smiling about?”

“I’m just happy you’re alive.”

He smiled also. “I mean it. I’m sorry.”

“Ron, really, let’s not—,”

“I’ve been a jerk.”

“You’re alive.”

“And I shouldn’t have—,”

“Ron!”

Ron turned his head to the side, confused. “What—?”

“When I found out you were hurt, I realized just how important you are to me. I realized that this something much bigger than just us. I’ve been acting silly. I’ve been jealous, vengeful, and distressed. Now, when I think about how close you were to dying, it seems the whole thing is an irrelevant detail. No matter what happened, or happens, I want to make sure we are still friends.”

“You’re right.”

“Can you believe that we’ve passed the most crazy wizarding test possible, disguised ourselves with polyjuice potion in our second year, created a secret organization against Umbridge, even broke into the Ministry of Magic, but we stop talking to each other because of this?”

Ron laughed. “I suppose that’s true. It’s stupid. I’m stupid. Will you forgive me?”

“I’ll consider it.”

“That’s all I ask for.”

“I don’t know how much Lavender will like it, though.”

“Probably just as much as she liked getting told off by Madam Pomfery,” Ron joked.

“I thought you were asleep!”

“So did she.”

So I realize that this one is pretty short (and the next one will be too), but I am planning on the one after that being fairly long, so hold in there! FEEDBACK Oh, and the HUGE picture in the center is compiments of the Harry Potter Lexicon and whoever drew it.
Edit: The picture is by Marta and can be found at http://www.artdungeon.net/ so I hope it is okay that I am using it. I really love her artwork!

Last edited by magical4life; April 8th, 2007 at 5:32 pm.
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:37 am
Third Year

After their talk, they were friends again. The trio was back in action. Though, Hermione was becoming steadily irritated with Harry’s new reliance on “The Prince.” She was absolutely positive that this book could lead to something bad; she just didn’t know what it was yet. Why would this person leave their version of a diary practically lying around? Why did they want somebody else to find it? It could just be a different version of Riddle’s diary. Hermione wanted Harry to focus on getting the memory of Slughorn’s. It was obviously important, and Dumbledore knew that it was Harry’s job to get it. It might have had something to do with Harry’s defeat of Voldemort. They were currently in the middle of this conversation in the common room.

“You’re going about it the wrong way. Only you can get the memory, Dumbledore says. That must mean you can persuade Slughorn where other people can’t. It’s not a question of slipping him a potion, anyone could to that—,” Hermione went on before getting interrupted.

“How d’you spell ‘belligerent’?” said Ron. “It can’t be B—U—M—,”

“No, it isn’t,” she said, confused.

They discovered that Ron’s Spell-Check Quill was defective and had caused his whole paper to be filled with misspellings. Hermione found it rather amusing.

“And I don’t remember you changing your name to ‘Roonil Wazlib’ either.”

“Ah no! Don’t say I have to write the whole thing again!” Ron exclaimed. He had been working on this Defense Against the Dark Arts paper for a while now.

“It’s okay, we can fix it,” Hermione assured him. She subconsciously put particular emphasis on ‘we’. Pulling his essay towards her, she began tapping each of the words with her wand.

“I love you, Hermione,” Ron said, rubbing his tired eyes.

Color rose into her cheeks. She knew that he wasn’t being completely serious, but couldn’t help feeling that there was more chance of his breaking up Lavender. She just wanted him to stop being so stubborn, like always, and pluck up the courage to do so.

“Don’t let Lavender hear you saying that.”

“I won’t,” Ron said with his head in his palms. “Or maybe I will . . . then she’ll ditch me . . .”

Hermione continued correcting the words, still listening to Harry and Ron pursue the conversation, with steadily increasing hope.

I really wanted this scene to be in here, but JK did a pretty good job herself, so I didn't really add much. Really, it is more of a filler post but, like I said before, keep reading. It gets SO much better (even though it is really good already, of course!)

Old April 12th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Third Year

“Trust me, I know what I am doing . . . or at least Felix does,” Harry said as he walked to the door of the boys’ dormitories with the Invisibility Cloak draped around him.

Hermione raised her eyebrows as she and Ron followed him down the steps. They had been discussing how to get the memory from Slughorn and Harry decided upon using Felix Felicis. They could not understand why he was going to see Hagrid, though. Harry said he had a “good feeling about it” but Hermione was not so sure.

They descended the steps quickly and Harry slipped through the open door. For some reason Hermione had an enormous amount of confidence in him. Her confidence in general was rising after her reconciliation with Ron.

“What were you doing up there with her?” Lavender’s voice screamed out of nowhere when she saw them. Of course, she had instantly jumped to some conclusions, not seeing Harry. Surprised, Ron went pale except for his rosy ears.

“I—we weren’t—this isn’t what it looks like!”

“Oh, then what exactly is it!? What reason could you possibly have for being upstairs alone with her?” she screeched. The rest of the room became alert and started to gather round. Lavender stepped about three feet away from him and was yelling at the top of her lungs.

“We were—we were just . . .” he looked desperately at Hermione for help. She shrugged and looked away. Since Ron had gotten out of the hospital she had been so much more content. Was it so wrong for her to feel ecstatic about this? She clenched her jaw shut to keep from smiling.

“Hermione was just showing me her . . . book.”

Hermione involuntarily let out a small laugh, after which she clamped her hand over her mouth. That was the worst excuse she had ever heard.

“Her book?” Lavender said disbelievingly, growing even angrier and avoiding Hermione.

What could they say? They couldn’t tell her about Harry. If they told him he was just under the cloak the purpose of the cloak would be defeated.

“Yeah . . .”

“Why couldn’t she bring her book to the common room?”

“Oh, well, it was a really big book. It was about, er, trolls. Yeah, trolls. There is a lot of, er, interesting information on them, so the book was really heavy.”

“And it just happened to be in your dormitory!?” she said. He was trapped.

“I . . . it . . . okay, fine. She was not showing me a book, but nothing happened.”

“You expect me to believe that!?”

“It’s true!”

“I—but—did I do something wrong, or something? Or am I not GOOD ENOUGH for you!? Is that it? I knew all those visits to the hospital wing meant something.” She was starting to cry.

“You visited me at the hospital wing all the time, too.” Ron said, not wanting to make a scene.

“But you were always asleep!”

Ron said nothing. Hermione could tell he was now regretting feigning sleep and avoiding her.

“But then . . . how do you know I visited you so often?” Lavender said tearfully.

There was more silence. It was pitiful.

“You weren’t asleep were you?”

“No.”

“I don’t understand! I’m good enough to snog, but not compared to HER? Apparently not after you just—you just—,” she let out several angry sobs. The crowd around them was growing larger.

Hermione, feeling badly, decided it was time to speak up. “Nothing happened. All we did was talk.”

“She’s not even pretty!” yelled Lavender, ignoring her.

“Now wait, that—,” Ron said.

“Don’t you DARE defend her! After all I did for you. After so much time I spent thinking about you. WASTED time.”

“All we ever did was snog. This is one of the only real conversations I have ever had with you. Do you even know anything about me?”

“I know that you said nothing was going on between you two.”

“There isn’t! Right, Hermione?” Ron asked.

“What?” she said as if she hadn’t been paying attention, yet truthfully not wanting to admit it.

“SEE!? Maybe you should know who your girlfriend is before hanging around with people like her!”

“I’ve been hanging around with her for over five years! Maybe you shouldn’t be so clingy all the time, then guys would hang around you, too.” Ron retorted.

“Yeah, well maybe you should be glad that a girl like me would even consider a guy like you!”

Hermione looked back and forth between them, hiding back a smirk. Lavender had tears running down her face, which was burning red. Ron was blushing because of the bystanders, yet was not nearly as angry or upset as she was.

“Maybe you shouldn’t flirt all the time and give guys the wrong idea.”

Her eyes lighting up, Hermione grinned. Lavender looked fiercely at her s******ing and became even more forlorn. She sniffled and said in a low tone,

“Maybe we shouldn’t be together then.”

She ran up the to the girl’s dormitories in hysterics. Every eye in the room followed her until the sound of the slamming door noted the argument was over. Hermione was beaming. Ron was upset, mostly because he had made her so upset. He sat down on one of the couches and ran his hand through his hair. She sat next to him.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. You know I wanted it to end.”

“But I didn’t think you wanted it to end like that.”

“It’s for the better.”

From behind them they heard more arguing. They turned and saw Ginny and Dean, who were not creating the same kind of scene Lavender had, but were still at variance. Evidently, Harry had lucked out more than he thought.

That night, Hermione returned to her dormitory reluctantly. Meeting Lavender after that bizarre incident was probably one of the last things she wanted to do. However, she inevitabley journeyed up the staircase at around midnight, hoping Lavender had calmed down and went to sleep.

Quietly, Hermione pushed the door open and slipped into the room, tiptoeing towards her trunk. She glanced over at Lavender, thinking that her plan had worked perfectly, when she started. Lavender was staring at her from her bed, wide awake. The moonlight was streaming through the window and casting shadows on her tearstained face. She had evidently been up all of this time wallowing.

Hermione took a deep breath and was left speechless. Lavender silently turned to the side so she wasn’t facing her. She continued extracting pajamas from her trunk and changed, considering the possible remarks and/or criticisms she would have to deal with. Afterward, she crawled into bed and found that she was not remotely tired. The argument had left her excited and nervous. She stared at her bedposts for a while when finally Lavender’s weak voice spoke.

“I really didn’t have a chance with Ron, did I? His heart was always elsewhere . . .”

Hermione made no reply, but the silence verified the statement. Hermione supposed that she had finally accepted that Ron was telling the truth. Lavender muttered an angry sigh and pretended to fall asleep.

The morning came more rapidly than she had expected. Hermione rubbed her eyes, sitting up in bed. Her heart jumped as she realized that she not only had school, but Harry had attempted getting the memory from Slughorn. She leaped out of bed and got ready as fast as she could, accompanied by the questioning glares of Parvati and Lavender who were already up and preparing for the day. They always took forever to get ready, so Hermione was used to being the first one out the door.

The first chance they got to discuss Harry’s night was during Charms when they used the muffliato spell so they would not be overheard. Harry’s story was incredible. He had gotten by so easily with the lucky potion guiding him. The memory and Dumbledore’s plan were even more enthralling.

Lost in the story, Ron reflected on the matter. But Hermione wasn’t listening to him; she was distracted by the white flakes falling from the air where Ron’s wand was waving aimlessly.

“Ron,” she said, “You’re making it snow.” She grabbed his wrist to stop the spell from continuing. Unnoticed by Ron, Lavender gave Hermione a dirty look from the table across the room. She was again red in the face and had clearly been crying. Hermione quickly let go of Ron’s wrist, not wanting to make her feel worse than she already did.

Ron shook the white flakes out of his hair and brushed them off of his shirt. “Sorry, it looks like we’ve all got horrible dandruff now. . . .” Hermione’s heart fluttered as he brushed some of the flakes off of her shoulder. A loud cry was heard from behind her and Lavender was again weeping. Ron withdrew his hand just as quickly as Hermione had and looked away from his now ex-girlfriend. Undoubtedly, he was feeling guilty.

“We split up,” he said quietly to Harry. “Last night. When she saw me coming out of the dormitory with Hermione. Obviously she couldn’t see you, so she thought it had just been the two of us.”

Hermione bit her lip and looked at Lavender again. She was heaving deep breaths as Parvati pat her on the shoulder, saying friendly words of comfort. Parvati did not particularly like Ron and Lavender’s ‘snogging’ relationship (Lavender had ignored her and called her jealous most of the time), so she sympathized with Hermione, realizing that she had been the one who liked Ron in the first place. She even helped Hermione try to get Ron jealous in hope of getting her gossip-friend back, but to no avail. Now, she seemed annoyed about being called to the duty of a “good friend.” Hermione agreed that comforting Lavender would not be the most joyful task. But it hadn’t even been a full day yet, so she would get over it soon. Hopefully . . .

“Ah,” Harry replied. “Well—you don’t mind it’s over, do you?”

“No, it was pretty bad while she was yelling, but at least I didn’t have to finish it.” Ron confessed.

“Coward,” Hermione said jokingly. Their fight had left her more satisfied than she had expected. Not wanting to continue the subject with Lavender close by, however, she changed the subject.

Hermione and Ron’s relationship did not progress over the next few months due to events that Harry needed assistance with. This was another thing that made being together difficult. There was so much to do in so little time that Hermione even felt school was getting in the way. She couldn’t even imagine having a boyfriend on top of it all. (Or maybe she could . . .) And the Half Blood Prince just made things complicated. The world was in a time of chaos where nobody knew who to trust. So, Hermione and Ron held off on their relationship, thinking that Harry would appreciate it a little more if they waited until school ended. This was a non-verbal agreement of course, a sort of common knowledge between them.

Hermione was very indecisive about the whole thing. She was hoping that Ron would make the first move because, well, he owed that to her. On the other hand, she wanted it to just fall into place. This way they could avoid the spilling of emotions and confessions that she did not necessarily want to hear for the time being. But was that even possible? Should she just get the revelations over with to prevent further confusion? Ron was not exactly the type to talk about his feelings. He kept to himself most of the time, one of the things Hermione liked about him.

Each was hoping that everything would turn out by summer because if not it would be too late. They were on a mission much more important to the world. So they both ended up waiting for the exact same thing to happen, both too stubborn to initiate it themselves. The outcome would be unexpected and emotional and neither of them wanted to be at fault. There was not much they could do about that, though; it truly was a complex relationship.

The End

. . . Or is it?

Like the story? Give me feedback in my FEEDBACK thread.
Can you guess which one is the real link on your first try?
FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK

So, I know I have this tendency to end things rather abruptly, but this one is different. I am planning A Complex Relationship Meets Deathly Hallows as we speak. It probably wont be posted until after my next two short stories, though. I have already started my next and it has to do with the ghosts of Hogwarts. It is a little different than the last two I wrote so it is in a different format. I hoped you liked it!

Last edited by magical4life; April 12th, 2007 at 7:40 pm.
Old April 17th, 2007, 5:55 am
Third Year

You got it right, my next story is about GHOSTS (ooooo, ahhhh). Most people haven't written about this before so I consider it a pretty original idea (not to BOAST or anything). Some of them are about how they died and some are just what they do once they enter the ghostly state. There are a great deal of ghosts but I chose the one I thought readers would be the most curious about for my first story. Enjoy!

Hem, hem, introducing my new and different line of stories . . .

Ghost Tales, Eerie Wails, and Odd Hallucinations from the Abyss

The Bloody Baron’s Tale

The portraits along the darkened corridor of the vacant mansion were sleeping in their frames. Silence pervaded the still, dusty air. The windows were clamped shut permanently and sunlight never streamed through their once used panes. Besides the remains of old furniture and useless trinkets, the house was entirely empty. Everything remained in its perfect position, awaiting a visitor that would never come. If one were to ring its doorbell, the door would swing open expectantly yet nobody would be standing there. This frightened inquisitive visitors and prevented people from investigating the house. Thus, nobody could dare venture into the second floor, where, in the second room to the left, was the remains of a certain Fiero Angelo.

Legend had it, according to the neighboring estates, that the manor had been abandoned centuries ago when the house’s bustling activity halted, the lights flickered off, and the life from inside vanished. It was so abrupt that few neighbors witnessed the scene from the outside, and most that witnessed it from within did not live to tell the tale. Since then, only dust accumulated in the endless hallways and bare shelves.

Unknown to most was the fact that the manor had been owned by a rich bachelor and was occupied by him and his vast array of servants many years ago. The disappearance that had caused many rumors to spread was only truly known to those who experienced it, and the lone remaining relic of the event was indeed that same baron who owned the mansion. It was that mysterious night of which the outcome he would never tell . . .

107 years ago

The man known as Fiero Angelo stepped into the elegant ballroom of which had just been prepared for a most memorable night. Tycoons, noblemen, heiresses, and the like were to attend, along with others who were lucky enough to merit an invitation. Chandeliers floated magically above the shining dance floor that was slowly being occupied by ravishing guests. Fiero observed them, arranging to introduce himself, before being swiftly interrupted. A glamorous lady of about his age in a deep purple flowing gown stepped behind him and tapped him on the shoulder.

“The place looks wonderful, Fiero,” she said lavishly, pushing a strand of her dark brown hair from her eyes. He turned around and smiled at her.

“I’d like to think so, too, but it truly only became wonderful when you stepped through the door.”

“Extremely tacky yet flattering lines like that do not work on me, darling.”

“Well, Meredith, to make up for it, why don’t you accompany me in a dance?” Fiero inquired, extending his hand and bowing slightly.

“I’d love to,” she replied, placing her gloved hand into his. He kissed it and then twirled her onto the dance floor. The wizard orchestra began playing a slow, romantic tune that was mesmerizing enough to keep the guests dancing for hours on end. They swayed back and forth a bit, spinning occasionally, until the dance concluded with one last dip. Laughing, Meredith stood back up and pulled Fiero from the dance floor.

“That was lovely, I absolutely adore that song!” she said, flashing the beautiful grin she had upheld since their confrontation.

“As do I, as do I,” he agreed, glancing about the room at the other guests.

“However, I am afraid I must sit the next one out; I am dreadfully tired. I’m sure you have many other guests to grace with your company.”

“Unfortunately so. I’m sure that later tonight, though, I will be free from the business acquisitions and sycophantic ladies long enough for a final dance.” He winked.

“I am eagerly awaiting your return then,” she said, returning his wink and exiting towards one of the manor’s wings. He desperately wondered where she was going when he was confronted by the very man he had been avoiding, Thomas P. Angelo.

“Fiero, my lad, how long it has been!” he put one of his arms around him in a sort of gentlemanly embrace. Fiero winced and let out a false laugh.

“Certainly it has. I believe the last we spoke was at my sister’s wedding.”

“And what a wedding it was. I still remember when the bluebell flames charm wore off, complete darkness! I’m not sure whose idea that was. So how’ve you been? Obviously the family wealth is still in tact . . .” Thomas said, gesturing towards the luxurious ballroom.

“As I am the last remaining beneficiary of the family wealth, I should certainly hope that I live up to its name. My sister seems a little disconcerted about it but my father strictly insisted that I inherit the money once he was deceased. Clearly we followed his wishes.”

“A noble thing to do, I must say. And who knows, maybe another inheritor will be born. Why, I saw you dancing with an appealing lady just a moment ago. You have always been quite the charmer; it must be those hereditary good looks.”

“Oh, Thomas, you are making me blush.”

“I most certainly am not. And it’s true! You are just like your father: strong, clever, assertive, polite, and talented, nonetheless. Aunt Luisa once even told me that you were a better artist than her cousin Gerardo, the one who owned the painting business, and that is saying something.”

“Your kindness is uncalled for, Uncle Thomas. Is there something you wanted to speak to me about?” Fiero said impatiently.

“Yes, yes, of course. Unfortunately, I have come into a spot of trouble and am looking to borrow some money. It won’t be much, and I promise to pay you back. These men are dangerous and I don’t want to possibly run the risk of getting, well, damaged. Unforgivable curses are customary to them and who knows what they could do. Would you help me out, Fiero?”

“How many times has this come about before? You are a baron, for heaven’s sake; can you not pay for your own debts?”

“You of all people know that I am not truly a wealthy nobleman like yourself. I just pass by as one. The money I earn is not enough to pay off these debts—,”

“—because you use it all gambling! I am sorry, but this time I cannot do it. This time you are on your own.”

“Fiero, you cannot honestly mean that!”

“Oh, but I do. Now I would appreciate it if you let me alone, I threw this ball to have a bit of fun myself,” he concluded. Thomas, looking hurt, turned and stalked away. Fiero, on the other hand, let out a sigh of relief. Thomas’s gambling debts should be the least of his worries. The last thing he wanted was to get involved with dangerous wizards.

Suddenly, from across the room his name was called. The voice was faint but clear. He searched for the perpetrator to no avail. At first he thought it had come from the West Wing but when he listened once more it sounded as if it came from the Entrance Hall.

“Fiero!” it came again.

Fiero looked about once more. This time it sounded like it was coming from the East Wing, the same that Meredith had disappeared to. Torn, he decided to follow his instinct in that direction.

“Fiero . . .” it called again, this time in a sing-song voice.

“What!?” Fiero whispered loudly. He ascended the spiral staircase leading to the second floor in pursuit of the voice. Abruptly, an evil cackle faded into the dark hallway he was now traversing. Silence commenced but Fiero, who was not thoroughly satisfied, continued down the hallway cautiously.

The hallway was dark and eerie, a place he had never entered at night, and sent shivers up his spine. As he neared the end, he approached the second-to-last door on the left, which was peculiarly ajar. He stepped closer to get a better view. The opening emitted a faint emerald light, which flickered as if it were fire fighting the wind. He reached out and pushed open the door gradually until a lustrous green flames came into view. The rest of the room was dim and empty. As he approached the hearth he let out the breath he had been inwardly holding.

“Hello?” he stuttered. The wicked laughter returned from the flames. He gulped before making his next statement. “W- who’s there? Reveal yourself!”

Now that he was curious, he would not back down, even with the response of silence. It was in his nature, and the nature of the pure-blood family of which he grew up, to stand his ground. Being a most powerful wizard also prevented much harm to usually come across his path. Decidedly he reached his hand into the green flames, reassuring himself that it was part of the Floo-Network. Indeed it was.

Taking a deep breath, he dove through the flames, instantly landing in a familiar place. It was still dark and dim, and only emerald light emanated, but Fiero somehow felt at home. He felt strangely safe and he was absolutely sure he had been in this room before. If only the light was better . . .

From what he could see, there were some couches accompanied by a matching coffee table and drapery covering the stone walls. There was a suit of armor in the corner holding a rather large weapon. A foreboding shiver surmounted Fiero; something was terribly wrong.

“Fiero!”

He twirled around as if still on the dance floor to finally meet the perpetrator of the incessant calling. Floating a few feet away, smirking childishly, was the annoying and devious Peeves.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Oooo . . . what happens next? Find out next time on Ghost Tales, Eerie Wails, and Odd Hallucinations from the Abyss. You know what I love? You guessed it, FEEDBACK.

Old April 25th, 2007, 5:59 am
Third Year

Peeves! What is going on? Why is the fire linked here?”

“Oooooo, look who it is! It has been a couple of years hasn’t it, Fiero?”

He shrugged and gazed around the Slytherin common room. Nothing had remotely changed since the 4 years he had graduated. And there sat the indestructible spirit of chaos who had always treated Hogwarts with his company. Indeed, he “came with the building.” Peeves cackled that same obnoxious laugh as if he knew something Fiero didn’t.

“Just answer my question,” he said forcefully.

“What is the magic word?”

Please?”

“Oh, that will never do! You’ve been a wizard for how long and the only magic word you can think of is ‘please’?”

“I am not in the mood for games right now. Did a lady come rushing through here moments ago?”

“I’m not sure . . .” he replied teasingly.

“Peeves, if you do not tell me this instant I will make sure that you have the most horrid experience of your lif—ghos—spiritual being and will wish that you had listened to me. Understand?”

“Poor, poor, Fiero. Too bad he’ll never know . . .”

Fiero stepped up through the fire and stood next to him, glaring with a fiery gaze. He looked in several directions before departing from the common room without another word to the useless creature. Though, Peeves did not let that stop him. He zoomed into the wall and met Fiero on the other side. He ignored him and continued walking.

“If you want to find the lady, you are going in the wrong direction,” Peeves taunted.

“And yet, you would not tell me if I asked, so I know not to trust you. You will still wish you had told me, by the way. It will get you in a—hmm what’s the word?—unexpected manner.”

“What on earth could you do to a poltergeist? I do know my own capabilities, Fiero.”

“But do you know mine?” Fiero inquired coming to a halt.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Meredith cam hurtling at him with the same weapon he had seen the suit of armor holding. It was a long spear that was extremely pointy. He stepped out of the way and the spear punctured the wall. She screamed in frustration, her hair falling out of its beautiful up-do.

“Meredith, what are you doing!?”

“Can’t you see that I’m not Meredith? How could you not realize that!?” she cried.

“What?”

“I’ve been using polyjuice potion! I’m—I’m Christina.”

“Christina? I don’t know anybody named Christina!”

“But your father did. And you are just like him. The likeness is unbearable. Now, I am going to kill you, just like I killed him.”

“You—you—killed my father?”

“Yes.”

“NO!”

“Yes. He stole my money, my friends, my job, my love, my LIFE. And you are going to pay!”

She flung the spear aside and pulled out her wand delicately. She slowly raised it to his chin and he took a sharp breath. Tears were flowing down her face like a waterfall and he was looking frantic. Peeves, who had stopped and backed off, had never looked so serious.

“Are you afraid of death, Fiero?”

“N—no. I am not.”

“A master of legimens can tell when one is lying, I hope you realize. You are a fearful coward. Just like him.”

“I am not my father.”

“There you go again, looking on the bright side. Let’s just get this over with.”

“Please, NO!”

“Don’t beg me; I shall do what I like. And right now I’d like to kill you.”

Peeves glided forward, wide-eyed, and approached the wretched woman. He put on a false smile and said,

“Now, now, you don’t mean that! I would not do anything so rash in a place of learning!”

“I shall do what I like.”

“Of course, of course, who wouldn’t listen to a woman with access to an exceedingly sharp and dangerous spear? My point is he does not deserve to die.”

“And you have a right to make that decision? Even an indestructible spirit of chaos could understand the pain of death, Peeves. And you are about to experience it.”

Peeves practically screamed, but instead backed off. Fiero was afraid, his life should not be that short, it could not be.

“There is nothing worthy of sticking up for here,” she continued.

“Why did you lure me to Hogwarts?” Fiero asked anxiously.

“Why do you think? Again, I have no trouble accessing your feeble mind. This is the only place you ever considered your home; soon it will be your decision if you want to make it permanent. Think fast, Fiero.”

“I’ll fight you; after all, I am a powerful wizard. I was in Slytherin! I doubt you could do anything to stop me!” he added in one last attempt of bravery. She merely chuckled and pointed her wand at him, wordlessly cursing him.

He clutched his chest; a tight pressure was causing him immense pain. He removed his hand to find it scarlet from blood. He was bleeding profusely and uncontrollably. Deep red stains spread down his white shirt and Fiero fell to his knees. He started to shake as his body hit the ground. Peeves rushed forward, trying to help him back up.

In the process his hands, too, became a deep crimson. He looked at them, attempting to wipe them off, but to no avail. They were stained with Fiero’s life. Fiero was choking back blood, now, taking a variety of gasps. He finally uttered some practically indecipherable words to Peeves,

“Why didn’t you help me? Now you will pay.”

“What!?” Peeves screeched. “How is this my fault!?”

But then Fiero’s head lolled to the side, a sign of his death. Peeves let out a stifled cry of fear, looking around. But Meredith, or Christina, or whatever her name was, was gone. He marched down the hall, bewildered by what had just happened. The kids were sleeping unknowingly in their rooms. Peeves went behind a tapestry and started down a dark passageway when he heard his name.

“Peeves . . .”

Peeves halted and turned around. Nobody was there.

“Peeves,” said a mocking sing-song voice. He turned again. No one.

“PEEVES!”

“What?” he answered fearfully. This time there was no answer, either. He rushed down the steps quickly. He could have sworn he heard footsteps behind him, following him. He pushed aside the exit to the tapestry passage and panted. He had gotten away.

But then . . .

He glanced up slowly, now very scared. Figuring he was just imagining things, since nobody was yet again there, he sighed and turned around. Facing him bloody, angry, and dead was Fiero, The Bloody Baron.

Ever had a story that you kinda did not feel like finishing becuase you trapped yourself? That's what I just did. So I ended it. Abruptly, unexpectly, and quickly. Sorry if it isn't very good but I want to get my new Lily/James fiction up soon. Plus, I really like the part with the spear, so climactic! FEEDBACK!

Last edited by magical4life; April 25th, 2007 at 5:59 pm.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:05 am
Third Year

My new story called Perspective is about Lily and James as Voldemort becomes more powerful. It takes place after Hogwarts (so it isn't just another proud-Lily-and-persistent-James-go-to-Hogwarts-and-fall-in-love-seventh-year story). An imprtant thing to note is the title. I named it Perspective because I didn't just want it to be in Lily or James's point of view. Thus, I am going to alternate starting with Lily. That way you read both's' thoughts and emotions. I'm pretty excited! Here it goes . . .

Perspective

Part 1: What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You

Lily’s eyes fluttered open to find herself in an unfamiliar room. A cool breeze drifted through the open window next to her and the bright sunlight warmed her face. Dread flooded her as she realized where she was and her eyes snapped shut.
Ugh . . . not again, she thought.

Ever since the rise of Lord Voldemort her visits to St. Mungo’s had increased steadily. Battles, interrogations, and misjudgments on her part had often sent her there, and this was yet another occasion. The bed was cozy and the pillows were sweet in scent, yet Lily still despised the place more than most witches and wizards did. A gentle hand seized hers and gave a slight squeeze. It was then she wanted to open her eyes, wanted the comfort of home. As she did, James Potter came into view, his glasses askew and his hair naturally ruffled.

“Nice of you to join us,” he smiled, leaning in and to kiss her cheek softly. She sighed and sat up in her bed.

“How long have I been out?”

“A couple hours at most.”

“‘A couple’ as in . . . ?”

“Eight.”

Lily groaned and leaned against the bed post. “Did he get away?”

“Unfortunately, yes. But, then again, so did we.”

“We were so close. What happened?”

“Well after about four more showed up we were outnumbered . . . by about four. We were fighting them off when you took an unidentified hex to the head by some Death Eater behind you. I’m pretty sure it was Avery. Then we were outnumbered by five.”

“What did you do?” asked Lily worriedly.

“I kept fighting. With you down it was only me, Fenwick, Prewett, and Meadows. Voldemort was shouting orders at the Death Eaters and we tried to stop him, but there were too many. There was nothing more we could do. He vanished and we were left battling his Death Eaters rather than him. I finally just grabbed you and disapparated as fast as possible.”

“Oh, nothing at all went as planned! I’m sure The Order was disappointed.”

“They were. But luckily we have another strategy for next week; do you think you will be recovered by then?” James said sincerely.

“I’m sure I will. There must be something we could do to make him vulnerable, to make him realize our potential. He evades us like it’s nothing!”

“I don’t know how much more we can do, Lily. As for now I want you to get well rested.”

“Thank you, mother.

“No problem. I mean it, though, you seem pretty tired recently.”

“I'm just stressing over this. It is so aggravating for The Order’s attempts to keep failing. And what with the death toll lately. . .”

“It isn’t just you. Everybody is in a panic. Well, maybe not everybody, but they will be soon. Just get some rest, okay?”

At that moment the door swung open violently and in walked a pleasantly plump nurse carrying two potions, one green and one purple. She grinned at Lily’s awakening and set down the potions on her bedside table.

“I see you are alive and well, Mrs. Potter. How are you feeling?” she pressed her hand on Lily’s forehead.

“I am feeling as well as I could be. I am a bit tired, though,” Lily responded.

“Good, good. How long have you been awake?”

“Not ten minutes.”

“Uh-huh. And are you feeling nauseous at all? Light headed?”

“Now that you mention it, I do feel a bit woozy. I suppose it is the aftereffects of the hex,” Lily replied.

“Oh? Well, this potion will make you feel a bit better, I’m sure,” the nurse said, smiling once more and gesturing to the bubbling green potion that secreted an overpowering odor. She then turned to James. She blinked at him awkwardly as if waiting for him to say something. Not knowing quite what to do, he just looked back at her with a confused expression on his face. Finally she spoke up,

“Mr. Potter, would you mind terribly if I asked you to step outside for a few minutes? Regrettably, it is preferred for there to be no visitors while administering this type of potion or antidote. I hope you don’t mind?”

“No, of course not,” he said, furrowing his eyebrows and standing. “I’ll be back in twenty minutes, I suppose, Lily.”

After he was gone for sure, Lily directed herself towards the nurse. “Exactly what type of potion is this?”

“It is a simple draft to boost your energy. It will make you feel revitalized now that the aftermath of the hex should be gone,” she said as she conjured up a glass. Lily knew of this potion and had made it several times, though was curious as to its danger.

“And such a simple potion must be given out in private?” she asked casually, taking the glass from the nurse.

“Well, no. Drink up, my dear.”

Lily downed the glass in one foul swallow. She wiped off her mouth and returned the glass to its owner, who made it vanish.

“Then why did my husband leave?”

“It was not that potion I was referring to. It was this,” she picked up the purple potion and swished it around the glass. It had a creamy texture and was incredibly thin, less dense than water. “But, to be quite frank, it was not necessary for him to leave for this either. I just thought you might prefer it, given the circumstances.”

“Circumstances?”

“My you are the curious one, aren’t you? I will have to answer some of these questions later, as the potion is just a precaution. Though I am sure you would find out very soon, anyway.”

“Find out what?”

“Now, I need you to take this,” she conjured up a spoon, “one spoonful at a time. Don’t drink it too fast, or too slow either, or there may be some fuzzy results.”

“Results?”

“You’ll see. Come on, drink!”

Lily sighed and dunked the spoon into the smooth liquid. As soon as it entered her mouth, she tasted something very sweet. It was slightly creamy and ran down her throat smoothly. She could not think of how exactly to describe it, but thought of it as better than any potion she had ever tried before. It made her throat tingle. She took her spoonfuls steadily, as instructed. Once she was down to what seemed like her last spoonful, the nurse perked up, watching intently as she swallowed.

Instantly, as if some alarm had gone off, gold and navy sparks zoomed around the room. They soared about her, flickering and tickling her nose while blowing her hair back. Lily let out an uncontrollable, yet genuine, laugh. Something inside of her had caused immense joy but she could not see what. The nurse was applauding and beaming, watching the show of lights. After a minute or so, they faded.

“Congratulations, Mrs. Potter!” the nurse said as she threw her arms around Lily. Bewildered, Lily said,

“I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

“Why, you’re pregnant!”

Lily froze. Pregnant? It couldn’t be.

“With a lovely baby boy!” the nurse continued. “I wanted to make sure of it before I told you, and I am sure you will want to tell your husband.”

Lily remained silent and stared in disbelief. It was something she had not expected in the least, but explained her wooziness and odd feelings lately, even before last night. She placed a hand on her stomach and asked,

“How long?”

“Have you been pregnant? Oh, I’d say about two weeks.” After Lily again said nothing, “Are you not excited? You’re having a baby!”

Lily smiled politely, “Of course I am! A child of my very own . . .” She thought about her husband. “James has always wanted a family. It is just not the best time.”

“What do you mean? You will be expecting in early August, a wonderful time for a baby.”

“I meant—,”

At that moment a knock came to the door. Lily looked at her watch. Exactly twenty minutes. The nurse opened the door and (miraculously) it was James. He walked in swiftly and took a seat next to Lily, who was still flabbergasted about the news.

“Is she alright?” he asked the nurse.

“As a matter of fact, she is ready to go home. There is nothing more that she could possibly do besides get some rest.”

“Really?” he said, baffled.

“Yep!”

So Lily rose from the bed and dressed silently, wondering how to tell James and when the best moment would be. It should be romantic, but I shouldn’t make too big a deal over it, she thought. But it was a big deal. She could not imagine being a mother on top of all of her Order of the Phoenix duties. A mother. Would she be safe to do what she had been with The Order? She hated the prospect of raising a child when Voldemort was about to become more powerful than ever. It was unsafe and scared her beyond anything. It had always been her promise that when she had children she would do everything possible for them, and she had every intent on keeping that promise.

As they left, the nurse winked at her excitedly. Lily smiled back but continued walking. Nearing the exit, James eyed her strange behavior.

“Are you sure you are feeling okay?”

“I’m fine. How about you? You had a tough night yesterday, too.”

“I’m good. But I think we should stop by Grimmauld Place before we go home. I want to check in on Sirius and the rest of the gang before the surprise meeting in a few hours.”

Oh, great. More surprises. Lily thought. “That’s fine.”

“What potions did she give you?”

Lily’s mind raced. She had always been a horrible liar towards James, but did not want to reveal her secret until she was positively ready.

“Just an energy draft,” she lied, not meeting his eye, “and a potion to rid of the rest of my side-effects. It was rather strong and I had to drink it by the spoonful.”

James watched her as she suspiciously stared at her feet. Not wanting to press the matter, he didn’t ask.

“Okay . . . how about I treat you to some ice-cream?”

“That sounds absolutely wonderful.”

The door of Number 12 Grimmauld Place swung open and the couple was greeted by Sirius cheerfully.

“James! Lily! How are you after your visit to St. Mungo’s?”

“Positively exhausted,” James answered, shaking Sirius’s hand.

“Another sleepless night, then?” he asked.

“Not completely. And how are you? Do you have the plans ready?”

“That is what tonight’s meeting is about. I just hope everyone can make it on such short notice. Last night really threw everybody off.”

Lily blushed, but Sirius placed a hand on her shoulder. “It was not your fault. Don’t get caught up in that, we need you ready for our next move. What would The Order be without its most brave and intellectual witch?”

Laughing, Lily agreed. She mentioned moving out of the entryway and into the living room where they could sit down. The day had been overwhelming and was about to become even more so. As they entered the threshold they were greeted by Frank and Alice Longbottom, who had been discussing other matters.

“Lily! James!” Alice said, embracing Lily. She smiled feebly, wincing at the strong hug, and responded,

“Alice.”

“Oh, I’ve been waiting for you to arrive. We’ve got some exciting news to tell you. Don’t we Frank?”

Frank grinned and nodded enthusiastically. “Well, we are—,”

“Can I tell Lily? You’ve already told just about everybody else,” Alice interrupted.

“Oh, yes, of course. Sorry, my dear.”

“No need to be. Anyway,” Alice took a deep breath and addressed Lily, “we are going to have a baby!”

Lily’s face dropped. Was this just coincidence? It had to be.

At her long silence, James said, “Congratulations! That is wonderful news!”

“Well, seeing as it has only been three weeks, it is a bit early but we couldn’t keep it a secret any longer! A wonderful baby boy! We’ll be expecting in mid-July,” Alice conveyed. Everyone’s attention turned to Lily, who was flabbergasted at the twist of fate. James nudged her in the stomach and she came to her senses.

“Alice, Frank, that is fantastic. I am very happy for you both.”

“Thank you,” Frank said excitedly. “The only trouble we are having is with names. There are so many to choose from!
Herbert . . . or maybe Chad . . . no, Chuck! I don’t know . . .”

“Are you okay, Lily? You seem distracted,” Alice said, narrowing her eyebrows in suspicion.

“Yes, I’m fine. I’m still a bit tired from yesterday. I am truly happy for you, though, I am,” she said nervously, looking around. “It will be great to have a family of your own.”

“Yeah, I’ve always wanted a big family. Three children at least. I don’t know how Frank feels about that,” she said laughing. “What about you, planning on having an addition to the family soon?”

Lily looked at James, who took the liberty of answering, “We are planning on children, but maybe not this soon. We are awfully busy right now, considering The Order and all, so we are waiting. I love kids.” He looked back at Lily who bit her lip and nodded.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Alice asked, now growing even more curious at Lily’s odd behavior. “You aren’t yourself.” Then, as if something clicked, “Are you . . .?”

Lily stopped her. “Alice, I’m fine. Like I said, I am just tired that’s all.”

There was an awkward silence. Alice had a knowledgeable look on her face and Lily was trying to hide her stress. James was wondering why Alice knew something about Lily’s behavior that he didn’t. Finally, Frank spoke up.

“James, I think I read something about the Chudley Canons in the paper, you want the article?”

“Really? I’d love to read how they did against Ireland,” James responded. And at that, the men retreated upstairs.

Lily Potter, are you pregnant?” Alice said once everyone was out of earshot.

“How could you possibly know that?” she replied.

“Hmmm . . . the usual witty and chatty Lily not saying a word at her best friends news? Being sketchy talking about a family? Why didn’t you tell me!?”

“I—We—James doesn’t know. I haven’t told him yet.”

“When did you find out?”

“Today. I am still baffled by the whole thing. Oh Alice, I’m freaking out.”

“But you said you wanted a family!”

“I do . . .”

“Then why are you—,”

Their conversation was cut short by the announcement of the start of the meeting. Sirius rushed them into the conference room as the rest of The Order filed in.

Good start? Like it so far? LOVE L/J? Want to hear more about James? Tell me in my FEEDBACK!!!

Uh-oh, which link is it? Really this time . . .
FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK

Last edited by magical4life; May 12th, 2007 at 12:11 am.
Old May 12th, 2007, 1:05 am
Third Year

Part Two: Have No Fear

A blinding flash of flame as fiery red as the sun, appeared as James was preparing dinner in the kitchen. He rushed into the living room where Lily was resting from fatigue on the couch.

“Lily, wake up, we have to go. Dumbledore just sent the signal,” he said firmly.

“Now?”

“Yes, now.” He rushed up the stairs to change his clothes and grab a few supplies. Lily remained where she was, though, deep in thought.

As James entered their bedroom he opened the closet and pulled out his invisibility cloak. It was his most prize possession and he cherished it more than even his broom; it had gotten him out of many sticky situations. He moved quickly, grabbing shoes, a map, and the info he needed from the meeting. With the items carefully placed in his pocket, he rushed down the stairs. It had only taken him two minutes . . .

To his surprise, Lily was frozen by the foot of the stairs. She looked apprehensive.

“What’s the matter?” he asked hurriedly.

“I’m not going.”

Confused, James asked, “What do you mean?”

“I’m not going.”

James stopped now, too, forgetting his rush. He looked her in the eyes.

“Why not?”

“It’s too—er, dangerous . . . I might end up in the hospital again.”

“You never cared before.”

“This time is different.”

“Why?”

“Well, is Alice going?” she suddenly asked.

“No, she’s not.”

“Then why do I have to? The plan doesn’t involve me much anyway, I’m sure Remus could take over my part.”

“Are you . . . afraid?”

“I’m always afraid, James.”

“It never stopped you before, what makes this time special?”

“I just don’t feel well enough to go, alright?”

James could see there was something on her mind, something she wasn’t telling him. This, above going on a mission to defy Voldemort, scared him. The best part of their relationship was their trust and reliance on each other. What could be so bad she could not tell me? he thought. Her strange behavior had occurred for a few days now. They were busy, so he thought it had been weariness from working, but now he knew his assumption was wrong.

He placed a hand on her shoulder, pushing her auburn hair out of her face. Indeed, she looked frightened. Her beautiful emerald eyes widened and looked away.

“Is there something you want to tell me?” he asked gently.

She shook her head after a moment’s hesitation. James grew worried at her refusal. She could have been hurt in some way he did not know, or even have been attacked by Death Eaters at some point when he wasn’t with her. Was she being honest? James had no way of knowing. Lily hadn’t been saying much at all lately; her opinionated self was lost in something James had no clue about.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m positive.”

He was now sure she was lying; he had known her long enough to tell. James took a deep breath as his mind jumped to several more conclusions. Attempting to forget them, he addressed her, “Lily, whatever it is, you can say it. If it is sickness, tell me. If it’s overwhelming fear, tell me. If it’s someone else . . . tell me. Just don’t lie to me. I respect and love you more than anything else, I won’t judge you.”

“Why does it have to be something? You can assume it’s anything you want but—,”

“I don’t mean to assume—,”

“Then stop!” she yelled. “Just . . . stop.”

He was silent. His eyes searched her face for explanation, but she turned away towards the staircase. Realizing he received Fawkes’s signal over ten minutes ago, he walked passed her towards the door.

“You don’t have to come. I want you to, but you don’t have to.” He pulled open the door, and before he could step out she unexpectedly rushed in front of him.

“I’m coming.”

“But I thought—,”

“I changed my mind,” she turned towards him and pointed at him, “but I’m counting on you to keep me out of St. Mungo’s. I can’t go back there, I really can’t.”

He nodded in agreement, slightly satisfied with her decision.

“And James,” she continued, “I want to tell you, and I will. Just not now. I’m not ready.” Taking his inquisitive stare as acceptance, she apparated and he followed.

FEEDBACK

Last edited by magical4life; May 12th, 2007 at 1:14 am.
Old May 30th, 2007, 2:15 am
Third Year

Part 3: Confidence

“James! Quick,” Lily threw a wand towards James, meanwhile ducking from three blazing jets of light. He caught the wand and shot several non-verbal stunning spells towards some Death Eaters.

Lily was ecstatic, for some reason she felt this was where she was supposed to be. This is where her intuition, her instinct, kicked in. Her worries were lost in the flurry of motion and the elegance of the duel. She strategically figured where to be during which point in time, therefore aiming her curses abnormally well. Energy was bursting through; she felt confident, she felt safe.

The battle had lasted a while so far and the Death Eaters appeared to be wearing down. Sirius came from behind and shot a few tickling spells, causing two enemies into fits of laughter on the ground. He approached them, taking their wands one at a time, then snapping them in half. They were left defenseless. This new tactic of Sirius’s soon discontinued; after he had attempted the same technique on a few more, somebody took his own wand.

“Fighting fire with fire, ay?” Sirius screeched as he picked up a long wooden plank from the wreckage and thrust it at the Death Eater. With a thud he was thrown back, clutching his stomach and groaning in pain.

At the same time, James was fighting a particularly nasty woman named Bellatrix. She happened to be Sirius’s cousin, that is, before he was shunned from the family. Bella had a maniac laugh that got increasingly annoying. James was firing shot after shot at her, barely even grazing her. She was an expert at dodging such spells.

Lily, on the other hand, was in the process executing their plan. She forced her way through the crowd, debris, and soaring hexes to the middle of the battlefield. As she eluded a few more jinxes, her stomach panged with guilt. For a few glorious minutes, she had forgotten the danger she was putting her baby in. Quickening her pace, she made it to her destination. But someone was onto her. A Death Eater sprung at her, literally landing on top of her, and started swinging at her head with a rock from the ground. Lily kicked and screamed, wondering why this person was physically attacking her. Then she realized he didn’t have a wand. But I do, thought Lily.

She whipped out her most powerful weapon from under him, firing any spell that popped into her mind. She had been doing a fair job of avoiding the Death Eater’s beatings until she felt the rock collide with her head. Lily let out an ear-piercing scream. James heard her and left his Death Eater. He kicked the Death Eater off of Lily, stunning him.

“Thanks,” she said in a tired voice.

“No problem,” he said, winking at her. She sighed and placed a hand on her waist. Please be okay . . .

Then, driving everything from her mind, she sprung up. The space was occupied with so many occupants she hardly could tell one from the next. She rapidly sent purple sparks into the air, allowing them to shower down above the field. As if an alarm went off, the aurors fled the scene, backing away as far as they could. The remaining Death Eaters, confused, turned to Lily, who seemed to be causing the commotion.

Lily took a deep breath and spun her wand in several quick circles. As she did, the tip alighted and grew brighter the more she turned. The wand grew more resistant after each spin, making it hard for her to keep it going. The wand was charging. Death Eaters sent spells at her, but each one ricocheted around the rotating wand in a different direction. After the wand was as luminescent and opposing as physically possible, she released her pressure from the wand, yelling, “coactum!”

The rest of the aurors set up protective shields around themselves. Everything else surrounding Lily, including the Death Eaters, was sent into a fast whirlwind, speeding up as it got stronger. She, too, set up a shield. She could no longer hear anything but the gust of the air whistling past. A couple of seconds slowly passed by. Death Eaters were wailing about but the power was out of their control. It was a manmade twister.

Then, the air surrounding Lily parted. The debris and people were sent flying in every direction opposite her, hitting trees and other hard objects. Lily stood, as well as her companions. There was no trace of movement from the enemies, but Voldemort had disappeared. The air died down slowly and all was quiet.

“Lily, wait up!” James said, hurrying after her as they exited from an excited group of Order members. “What’s the rush? We just won the battle!”

Lily glanced around at the wreckage from the fight. Several unconscious Death Eaters were sprawled on the ground, ready to be sent to Askaban. It was almost dusk and, though the other side was forced to retreat, Voldemort had once again escaped. The Order members were discussing the battle’s highlights and how, astoundingly, nobody was seriously injured. Lily had a few cuts on her legs and a huge bruise on her forehead, but she wanted to leave now. She had had a special night planned out until Dumbledore’s urgent message and she was hoping it would still come into play.

“I think we should go home, that’s all. Hanging around doesn’t sound like the safest idea,” Lily said.

“Good point. I think they were going back to headquarters to celebrate, do you want to go? After all, you invented the spell we defeated them with. You should be the one congratulated!” James said back happily.

“Well, I was thinking,” Lily smirked, “we could do some celebrating of our own.”

James’s face dropped in surprise, but his grin grew even larger. “What has gotten into you today?”

“If you don’t want to we could go to their party—,”

“No, no, no. You’re idea is much better. What’d you have in mind?” James said, wrapping an arm around her waist.

“You’ll see.”

“I will? Well, that’s a relief.”

“Oh, shut it. I am trying to be mysterious.”

“Not working.”

“Well, in that case, you aren’t going to find out anything!”

“Come on, I was just kidding!”

“Of course you were, like always. Looks like you’ll just have to wait.” She crinkled her nose and kissed him as Frank and Lupin walked to them talking about the previous event.

PART 3 OR 4 TO BE CONTINUED VERY SOON

I know I have lost some readers, but please feel free to give feedback about any of my stories. There is a lot to comment about, so don't be shy. FEEDBACK<--Click there!

Last edited by magical4life; May 30th, 2007 at 2:25 am.
Old June 1st, 2007, 4:51 am
Third Year

Part 3: Continued

“Where are we going?” James asked a little farther along their path.

“I told you, you’ll see!”

“Yeah, but when you usually say that you mean ‘I don’t feel like going through an explanation’ or you don’t actually know,” James said, glad Lily was back to normal.

I may not know where we are walking, Lily thought, but I know where we are going. If that makes any sense. I know that we are going but not walking and—oh, never mind I don’t feel like explaining this . . . to myself that is. She decided it was the time to stop, so she halted. James accompanied her. Lily took his hand in hers and whispered “Are you ready?”

“For what?”

Suddenly, they were being squeezed by the pressure of apparation. They were used to the feeling, but none the less they were going somewhere else. Lily’s heart raced as she planned out the words she wanted to say. There was so much to tell him, it was lucky he was a patient listener.

They landed on a lonely beach near some radiantly glowing water. The sun had just gone down and the moon was rising over the horizon slowly. Its light shone down on the water and cast a dazzling reflection. Lily had laid down a blanket by the shore complete with a four course picnic. The basket sat upon the blanket, not having been touched since she had put it there that very morning.

They removed their shoes and, still clasping his hand, Lily led James through the velvety sand to the blanket. They sat down, dipping their feet in the cool water. Lily also took the time to flatten her hair, which was messy from the whirlwind. James’s hair, on the other hand, looked like normal.

“When did you have time to do this?” James inquired.

“Early this morning, that’s why I was so tired. The whole battle was rather unexpected. Well, not really, I was just hoping it could wait until tomorrow. Evidently not,” she replied.

“Is there any particular reason?”

“For the picnic? No. Well, yes.”

“Does it have anything to do with our argument this morning?”

“It might. But, must we continue with these questions or can I show you what I prepared?”

“It’s your choice.”

Lily reached inside her handy basket (which was actually a lot larger than it looked) and pulled out their dinner. There was salad, bread, turkey sandwiches, and a delicious pie for desert.

“I know it’s not much . . .” Lily said modestly.

“No, no, it’s perfect,” he said smiling and caressing her hand in his. They sat back on the blanket, observing the moon above them. It glimmered white and Lily was positive she could see the man on it. A chilly breeze blew past. James adjusted the blankets around them, pulling them closer together. She rested her head on his shoulder, grateful for his warmth. The sounds of crashing waves in the far outstretch of ocean soothed her nerves.

“What is it?” James all of a sudden inquired. Lily lifted her head off his shoulder curiously. She then realized that tears were lightly streaming down her cheeks. She rushed to wipe them away, then pulling the blanket closer around them.

“Sand in my eyes,” she said, rubbing them.

“Oh,” he replied, frowning in thought and looking back towards the iridescent water. There was a moment’s silence before,

“James?”

“Yes?”

“I’m pregnant,” Lily said plainly, attempting not to make a big deal out of it.

“What?” said James in disbelief.

“I’m pregnant.”

There was another moment’s silence. The sound of the crashing waves was being drowned out by Lily’s increasing heartbeat. Why isn’t he replying? James turned to her, his eyes the size of snitches, and stared. Lily winced. But then, as she had expected him to, he pulled her off of the blanket, into his arms, and spun around excitedly. Then, he set her down on the sand and they stood embracing one another.

“Is that what you have to say?” Lily said between her gasps of laughter.

“What more is there to say? We’re having a baby! It’s wonderful!” He swept her off her feet and again spun her around. Once her feet were safely on the ground again, Lily put her hands on her knees, panting for breath.

“If you do that one more time I think I’ll be sick!” she grinned at his reaction to the news.

“Sorry, I can’t help it,” he said, stepping closer and whispering in her ear, “Our love is too powerful to keep you on your feet!”

She smiled widely again, wrapping her arms around his neck and tenderly pressing her lips to his.

“I’m glad you’re glad,” she whispered back.

“Well?”

“‘Well’ what?”

“Well, how long have you known? Is it a boy or girl? What are the details?” he asked all in one breath.

“Um . . . it’s a boy!”

“A boy? Yes! Not that I care either way. We have to think of names! And we have so much to buy!”

“We’ve got plenty of time, don’t worry,” Lily said.

“When did you find out?”

Lily hesitated. James, noticing the delay, pulled away from her and searched her eyes. She blinked, as if confused, and looked away.

“Lily?” he asked.

“Yes?”

“When did you find out?” James repeated calmly.

“I—I found out . . . in St. Mungo’s, last time after the battle.”

James backed away from her. “Two and a half weeks? You waited all this time to tell me? Why?”

Lily again hesitated. James grew frustrated and inquired, “Why can’t you just be honest with me? Nothing has changed between us, has it? Do you not want to have a baby?”

“Of course I want to have a baby.”

“Enough to wait two weeks after you found out, leaving me to wonder about your strange moody behavior,” James said. He ran a hand through his hari and looked at her once more. His eyes bore deep into hers, there was nothing more she could hide.

“I would have told you—”

But?”

“I—I don’t know.”

“You don’t know? You could have just said something! I would never have made you fight today if I knew. I wouldn’t have pushed you so hard.”

“I needed the push! I just . . .”

“You just what, Lily? Say it already! If we can’t be sincere with each other we will never be able to raise our child to his full potential.”

“I want to be honest with you.”

“And what’s stopping you?”

He put a hand on her arm to give her the comfort and strength to at last reveal to him what was restraining her.

“I was afraid!” she jerked her arm back and sat back down on the blanket, turning towards the ocean.

“Well that’s perfectly clear, Lily. But afraid of what?” he said as he sat next to her again. She just shrugged, taking a deep breath and preparing to explain.

Part four from the PoV of James is up next! Be ready! Hope you like it thus far . . .

FEEDBACK

(The link is calling you. It's saying, "feed me" )

Old June 2nd, 2007, 2:51 am
Third Year

Part 4: Revelations

“I should have told you sooner, I admit, but I don’t think I could have if I hadn’t accepted it myself. Let’s face it, me a mother?”

“What’s so strange about that?”

“I don’t know, I guess I just never saw myself as the motherly type.”

“You’re brave, strong, smart. What more could any child ask for in a mother?”

“You are too kind, James. I’m also stubborn, hard-headed, and foolish, sometimes.”

“Aren’t we all sometimes?”

James smirked at her admittance to the claim. Everything about her was, to him, perfectly fit to become a parent. If it were not for those unique traits, he probably wouldn’t have fallen in love with her at Hogwarts. She was practical and thought things out. Here positive qualities overpowered the negative. But her actions lately meddled with that outlook. Until this night, of course, when she finally opened up.

“Very funny.”

“That still doesn’t explain why you are so afraid. Are you avoiding that subject purposefully?”

“Avoiding it, ignoring it, denying it. But, in truth, it is there,” Lily continued. “Our job, James, is to seek and defeat dark wizards. It has been for a while.”

“A couple years.”

“Exactly. Doesn’t it frighten you that Voldemort is still getting more powerful? We cannot defeat him right now as it is. Once he gets even stronger, he will get more followers. We won’t know who to trust anymore! There will betrayal amongst us everywhere. How can we be sure that we are safe? How can we secure our lives?”

James considered it. Their jobs would get considerably more difficult as people started switching sides. There would be no possible way to ensure that anyone was truly good unless they used powerful spells and potions. Even so, how would the drinker of such a potion know that they weren’t being poisoned, or the faithful one who permits such a spell know they were not being slain? It would turn into an every-man-for-himself situation. Attacks on the street would not allow small talk or free time. Friends would be lost, there would be no correspondence. Would the law even really be law anymore? Especially once The Ministry lost control . . .

“We can’t secure our lives. We would be in danger in our home, at work, in town . . . everywhere,” he agreed.

“Bring a baby into that picture, James. How on earth will we be able to protect something so helpless in such mad chaos?”

James sighed. This question wouldn’t be easy to answer. The Death Eaters were cruel; killing an innocent baby wouldn’t damage them in the least. They would not be able to do their job the same way, they would have to be protecting him at all times. Was there something strong enough to hold off such malevolence? Magic could only take you so far before you were facing life and death. A baby wouldn’t have a choice.

Lily put her head in her palms. James patted her on the back, answering her question with silence. He wished there was something more he could do. He wanted with all of his heart to tell her that he could prevent all this from happening, that he could keep them both safe. But it was not true. They were brought together by one thing: love.

Then an idea struck him. He straightened up, thinking clearly. Life is made from love. Love is made through living. Life protects love; nothing can wound the feeling or make it less powerful. Could the opposite be the same, too? Could love protect life and keep one living?

“Love,” he said simply.

“What?” Lily said weakly, choking back tears.

“Love. That is how we can protect ourselves and our baby in such mad chaos.”

“I don’t get your meaning.”

“Do you love me?”

“Of course I love you! Do you love me?”

“I have ever since they day we met.”

“I still don’t get your meaning.”

“You love me and I love you. Don’t you think that if our love can create something as beautiful as life it could give us the protection we need?”

“I . . . suppose so.”

‘All you need is love, love. Love is all you need!’” James cleared his throat and sang, perfectly aware of his lack of singing skills. He smiled at Lily, cheering her up. He always knew how to make her laugh.

“How do you even know that song?” she said, wiping her cheeks and grinning.

“I’ve read Muggles for Dummies in my spare time. I’m sorry, though, to impose on you with my horrid singing voice.”

“Your voice isn’t horrid! Your voice is lovely.”

“What did I say about being honest with one another?”

“To me it is lovely. To everyone else, I’m not so sure.”

“That’s comforting. At least you enjoy it.”

“I never said I enjoyed it. I just said it was lovely.”

“Oh, that’s nice. It’s lovely but it irritates you, is that it?”

“Just about.”

He sighed. “I love you, Lily Potter.”

“I love you, James Potter.”

Love is all you need!” they sang in unison, as if they had planned it.

James wrapped his arm around her. The night was still young and they hadn’t even touched their food. They at last experienced the joy and relaxation of the beach, and their new child.

The End

Like it? Craving more? Up next is a couple of one-shots while I write my longer story. Look forward to it! I'll probably post them in a couple of days. But don't forget to post some FEEDBACK first!

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:38 am
Third Year

Magical4life Proudly Presents . . .

An amazing section . . .

Of amazing stories . . .

An Array of One-Shots

So, over a long period of time, I have collected some small one-shots, poems, and other random stories I have never had the pleasure of posting. I promised myself I would start posting them when my views reached 1,000. Thanks to you, they did! And here are my one-shots. Most of them I didn't get the chance to enter in the Writing Contest, but that's okay. I am just posting them until I can start posting my next story, which I already mentioned in the feedback section. I might even add another piece from Ghost Tales, Eerie Wails, and Odd Hallucinations from the Abyss. "Might" is the key word there. Enjoy!

Ron/Hermione One-Shots
(Clearly I write about them a lot!)

Birthday Drabble (Under 300 Words)

“Well, how much do you have?”

“2 galleons,”

“Hmmm…”

“What kind of decent birthday gift is there that costs 2 galleons?”

“I am sure Hermione will love anything you get her, no matter what it is.”

“And what makes you say that?”

“Because she loves you,” Harry said, raising his eyebrows.

Ron’s ears turned rosy and Harry smirked. They strolled by the shops in Diagon Alley searching hopelessly for the perfect gift.

“How about some more of that perfume I got her for Christmas one year? She has to have used it up since then, right?”

Harry gave Ron a skeptical look.

“No offense but I don’t think Hermione was very fond of that perfume.”

“Why?”

“Because I saw her pour it down the sink a couple of days later when she thought everybody was still sleeping.”

“That would explain the odd smell that week.”

“How about a book?”

“She has enough of those already.”

Harry never thought that buying a present could be this hard, although it was last minute.

He thought long and hard about it, but then Hermione unexpectedly walked up beside them. “We have to go; your mom is expecting us for dinner.”

“Oh, yeah.”

Ron stood hiding his panic, thinking fast. But Harry was way ahead of him. He surreptitiously picked a long flower from the garden behind them and took out his wand to cast a nonverbal spell, handing off the flower to Ron behind his back.

“Hermione?”

She turned around and grinned.

“Happy birthday, it’s not much but I was a little low on money, so. . .”

As she took the flower, the blossom multiplied into a hundred stems. They both jumped at the unexpected surprise and she stumbled with the armload. She released them and threw her arms around him.

“It’s perfect.”

Ron sighed in relief, winking at Harry. He nodded in reply and beamed at his quick thinking.

Old June 8th, 2007, 5:41 am
Third Year

This is sort of cheesy . . .

Notes in Class

Hermione gave a fleeting look out of the window she was seated by in her Arithmancy classroom and then did a double take, surprised by the sudden appearance of Pig, Ron’s owl. She glanced up at the front of the class room where the Professor was seated at his desk, immersed in a new book. She quickly and quietly grabbed the miniature owl, releasing an artificial cough to cover up the joyful hooting. She tugged the note from his leg and opened it up swiftly.

Hermione

Quick- I need your help with my Potion’s essay on those one roots. It is due next period and I have barely even started! Now, what exactly do these roots do?

Hurriedly, Hermione grabbed her quill and wrote back.

Ron! I am in the middle of an exam! Why didn’t you just do the essay earlier? It is not my fault you were being lazy and didn’t finish . . . Or start for that matter.

Back in the common room, Ron waited anxiously for her response in hope that his free period would go by less quickly. When it arrived, he read it and wrote his reply.

You just wasted your time writing that when you could have just told me the answer! Now it is your fault I had to send another. What color do they turn when they are heated? Blue? No-- red? Ugh! I need you!

Of course you need me! You always need me! They turn yellow and they make potions more potent. Look in your potion’s book on page 347 and they should have all the information you need. Happy?

Yes. Thank you that really helped, although I don’t know how much I can elaborate on that. And, er . . . can I borrow your book? I think I lost mine.

It is on the table near the fire under my Runes book. Just don’t lose that one too.

No worries . . . I’ll let you get back to your exam now.

Hermione smiled. She looked around to see nobody was watching before inscribing,

Good. You know, it is a good thing I like you. Otherwise you would be failing every class you have ever taken.

Not every class. What’s that supposed to mean, “It’s a good thing I like you”?

It means that I

It means that she needs to get back to her Arithmancy exam instead of writing notes to people in other classes, no matter how desperate they are to finish their essay. Get to work!

Ron received the note and his mouth fell open wide. He blinked a couple times, a fixed gaze on the parchment, before retrieving the book and continuing. Suddenly his stress about the essay had disappeared.

Hermione sat in silence for a moment before speaking.

“Sorry, Professor, it won’t happen again.”

“I surely hope not,” he replied sternly.

After he had turned his back, Hermione wrote on the corner of her paper,

It means that I wouldn’t do it for anybody else. I really like you, Ron.

She tore the writing off and slipped it in her pocket, feeling so light-hearted she could barely finish her exam.

Last edited by magical4life; June 14th, 2007 at 6:15 pm.
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:29 am
Third Year

This is a poem I wrote a while ago. I love it because it rhymes! Please pardon all of the grammar mistakes, I didn't feel like finding them all. Enjoy!

One Knight

There she was, knitting by the fire
And there he was, next to her, a night like any other
The night drew onward, and unexpected events were soon to transpire.
She yielded a sigh, and glanced to her right
Catching his eye; it was late into the night.
There was something about him so amazing and rare,
Something more unique than just his flaming red hair.
And his eyes, too, they had this sort of shine,
One that you cannot find all the time.
“Are you okay?” he asked at her gaze.
She answered slowly, “I’m tired by the end of the day.”
He, too, always felt this way on Mondays.
But, he felt there was something she wasn’t telling him.
Her throat was dry; her hands had gone numb;
Her heart was fluttering; where had this come from?
He blinked blankly, observing her knit nervously,
Then continued reading the book he had been previously.
They felt a tension that had not been there before,
One very impossible to ignore.
“Are you sure?” he persisted, as she carelessly dropped several stitches.
“I—no, I mean, yes,” she insisted, ignoring her hand’s slight twitches.
Silence.
Uncomfortable silence.
They sat with their eyes transfixed on the other for a slight time,
A moment that seemed like a lifetime.
“Hermione, I—
The door burst open, and in walked Fred and George.
Ron’s words died.
“Well, look who it is!” Fred said.
“We’ve been looking for you kids,”
“For us? Why?”
“We need someone upon whom we can rely.”
The tension was gone, but the excitement still there.
Hermione responded with a cynical glare.
“For the last time, we won’t test your stuff!”
“Not even a cure to dandruff?”
“No!”
“A musical earmuff?”
“NO!” Ron and Hermione said in unison.
“We are the kings of mischief.”
“Keep that one in mind,”
“That is enough!”
They again declined.
The twins glanced at each other, their eyebrows raised.
“I am amazed; did we walk in on something?”
They seemed unfazed.
“If that is all, could you leave us alone now?”
“Alone?” said George as he lowered his brow. “I see.”
Ron and Hermione looked at each other in mystery.
“See what?”
Hermione turned scarlet.
“Never mind, it looks private,” said Fred and they both left the room.
“Why are they so quick to assume?” thought Ron.
The awkward silence began to resume.
Silence.
Awkward silence.
“What should I say?” she thought, feeling uneasy.
Ron, too, was feeling queasy.
Silence.
Self-conscious silence.
“I think I will go to bed,”
“Me, too,” Hermione quickly said.
They both arose from the cozy chairs.
To Ron, the end of this night seemed unfair.
He had accomplished none of what he had set out to do.
“At least,” he thought, “we didn’t argue.”
Hermione seemed disappointed, too.
However, the night was not through.
As they were about to head up the flight (of stairs)
He grabbed her arm, turned her around, and whispered “goodnight.”
And in reply, as it was only polite, and being careful not be too uptight,
She kissed him in the firelight, for a fire their hearts did ignite.
And she realized that this indeed was, in shining armor, her knight.

Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts > The Library