Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

A Study in Evil: Voldemort, the Malignant Narcissist

Old March 11th, 2007, 8:55 am
MuggleNet Editorial

A Study in Evil: Voldemort, the Malignant Narcissist

Discussion of the editorial A Study in Evil: Voldemort, the Malignant Narcissist by Maria Chang.

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:23 am
Third Year

Re: A Study in Evil: Voldemort, the Malignant Narcissist

I loved this editorial - it was very well researched, thought-out and written. I've read a few editorials that also try to analyse Voldemort's psychology, but this was definately one of the best ones. A bit on the lengthy side, but facinating enough to keep the reader interested.

Awesome work!

"We'll be there, Harry"
Old March 11th, 2007, 3:34 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well resesarched and presented.

Old March 11th, 2007, 6:54 pm
First Year

This editorial is one of the best editorial's on The Dark Lord's character and motives. I have read many editorials on the Dark Lord and this is the best I have ever read on him! Well research and presented!

Old March 11th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Curse Breaker

This is a pretty good and well discussed editorial. I disagree with the equating of these things with "evil" per se: "evil" is a simplistic and almost useless word. It means "I do not like it." (For example, it cites the current Pope, who I would simplistically described as "evil" because of his abhorrent and unethical views on many topics; this really is just a euphemism, however, and although I think that he is a bad person, I do not think that is is some sort of "orc.")

The one important point that it neglects to this end concerns free will. One thing that neurological and psychological studies stress (and which this editorial comes close to mentioning, but strays away at the end) is that free will is limited by the ability of the mind to come up with options. Smart people have more free will than do stupid people. Why? Chamber of Secrets shows us: "Why didn't you send an owl, Potter?" Harry never thought of it, therefore it was not a choice. Of course, Harry was 12, and 12 year olds are not as capable of thinking through options as are older people.

Now, let's take Voldemort. The editorial lists (correctly, I think) that lack of empathy diagnosis narcissism. However, it incorrectly states that it is an unwillingness to recognize the feelings of others. Most studies suggest that it not unwillingness: it is simply inability. I cannot play a Mozart piano concerto. Why? Not because I am unwilling. It is because I fundamentally lack the talent. Voldemort, for whatever reasons, fundamentally lacks the ability to understand that other people have their own thoughts and feelings.

This is an important thing to remember. The mentally handicapped are not so handicapped because of unwillingness to be "normal." Our minds are the products of chemical reactions - unlike in Potterverse, there is no ghost in the machine - and if the chemistry is wrong, then the potential is altered.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:25 pm
First Year

Well I noted the Alois=Elvis=Evils. I think JKR is playing with such analogies, while not going too far. I hope the mass murders will not take place in Wizard's War II, this wouldnt serve the book... This book's aim is to show that tragedy can be prevented by desacralysing things that have no reason to be sacred and should not be sacred (money for example).
She's such a hippy spirit. Today i've been listening to Queen hahaha I wonder if JKR listens to it while writing her books
I'm no religious at all, and in my depth i really dislike religion (because of my way of thinking that religion is not faith) though I like faith and faiths. But I think Evil exists, and that it takes place in the moment you are conscious of hurting someone else and you're not able to stop. I mean, I don't think the Pope is being evil while saying his opinions. He doesn't order people to do what he says. Popes have been evil when they ordered mass murders.

Old March 11th, 2007, 11:54 pm
First Year

an excellent editorial, cleary from the list of references it was very well reaserched and not just some incoherant thoughts typed in 10 minutes. It really takes the level of discussion up a notch.

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:02 am
First Year

Helpful. And Narcissia?

Old March 12th, 2007, 9:02 pm
First Year

Well written and researched, but it took a little too long to get to the point of comparison. Way too lengthy explanation/definition of a narcissist.

Old March 18th, 2007, 6:31 pm
First Year

HEy NIce work. Good opinion in my opinion.
Cheers

Why are my posts stuck at three???? I done like 20

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Dumbledore
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:19 am
First Year

mine are too they are stuck at... 0

Old June 28th, 2007, 8:22 pm
First Year

Awesome. Your editorial is very well researched, and it explains Voldemort better than anything I've read before this. Great job.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:11 pm
Doctor's Companion

Please remember that the COS Forums conduct notice is in full swing here also

COS Forums Conduct notice

Welcome one and all to the Deathly Hallows Discussion Forum.

So, now that the final book is here, you may all begin your discussion of the story that we've all been waiting for.

general notice of conduct, zero tolerance & fan submitted work

This icon is the report button. It appears in every post someone makes. Use it when you feel it needs using.

Spoiler Policy

There is a general two-month ban on discussing DH outside of this area. We will lift the ban on September 24th. The date is subject to change.

Anyone caught posting Spoilers outside the Deathly Hallows area will be subject to a three-point warning if they have been a member for longer than 30 days. For members under the 30-day period, they will be issued with a one-point warning. Second offences will result in an instant banning for either group.

No one may include spoilers in their signature, avatar or anywhere in their profiles. This instruction lasts for 45 days from the day of this thread creation. The 45 days are subject to change, either an increase or decrease.

Use of the Wizengamot for questions related to the Deathly Hallows discussion area is prohibited. Please use the High Inquisitor's Chamber.

General Conduct

Members are requested to moderate their tone and be sensitive to those whose theories are proven inaccurate or altogether, wrong. Regardless of the personal gratification you may take in being proven right, you will not last more than ten seconds as a member here and will be forgotten several seconds after we have banned you, if, you decide to act out your pleasure on here.

Private Conduct

If you are in receipt of a private message (Owl) where a member conducts themselves in a manner similar to the General Conduct notice above, you may forward such an owl onto a member of staff and we will action it accordingly. If you fake such a message we will know and you will be banned. If the message is genuine, we will warn/ban the member involved depending on the severity. I would like to point out that a heated argument is not the same as a blatant poke with the 'you're wrong' stick.
Private Messages are there for you to engage in conversation that may get heated, that would normally be removed on public forums. If you yourself have engaged or baited the person into saying something, you won't get very far if you report it to us.

Additionally, please inform us if you receive spam messages of any kind, in particular people spoiling the book.

Fanfiction & Art

All fan submissions related to the Deathly Hallows must be made in their relevant areas "Flourish & Blotts - New Premises" and "Hallowed Masterpieces" and any subforums within them. You may not post them outside the area. You may not link them in your signature. More on that below.

Signatures, Profiles etc...

No book 7 related information maybe included in your signature until after the spoiler policy is over. That means you may not have avatars, signatures or link threads of importance in the Deathly Hallows area in your profile/signature. If you do so, you will have the links removed and be warned.

As always forum rules apply. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact a staff member Better to ask the question than be proven wrong.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial