Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Little Questions Answered v10

Old March 13th, 2007, 7:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Little Questions Answered v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffybot View Post
Yes, probably.
But how was Sirius, and Hagrid for that matter, able to get to the house if Peter was the secret-keeper? If Sirius knew from when he was secret-keeper, then really what is the point in switching, since Voldemort could attack Sirius for the information anyway?
Was Sirius ever the secret-keeper, or was he just "in the running" for the job?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2007, 7:30 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Was Sirius ever the secret-keeper, or was he just "in the running" for the job?
Buffybot made a mistake there. Sirius wasn't the secret keeper, he was the one who was as you say a candidate for it.

Old March 13th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Question about the start of the books

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
Exactly, that is the purpose of the sectumsempra hex (to cut), AK normally leaves no traces whatsoever (the authorities had no idea how the Riddles had died, their bodies were unmarked).
But weren't those Muggle authorities? Aurors or MoM officials must recognise an AKed body when they see one...

Old March 13th, 2007, 7:53 pm
Oracle Octopus

Re: Question about the start of the books

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuka View Post
Aurors or MoM officials must recognise an AKed body when they see one...
That is out of experience and because they know that the only curse that does that is the AK.

Old March 13th, 2007, 9:29 pm
Third Year

I've only skim-read the last few pages, so forgive me if anyone's brought up this before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestLBeing View Post
I looked up what Fudge actually said for you Buffybot. Here it is;

"You'll forgive me, Dumbledore, but I've never heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before..." (GOF, American version, (706) ).
I read this just a few weeks ago, and it made me think of the Dark Mark. I don't know if it's a curse scar, but it certainly does act like an alarm bell... But Fudge suggesting that Harry's scar acts in the same way doesn't really make sense...

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. (In the British paperback of GoF, p. 613, it says: "I've heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before" - never is not in there... - but I see anabel has pointed that out already.)

-we might as well be hanged for a dragon as an egg. (Mrs. Figg is fantastic!)

Old March 13th, 2007, 9:48 pm
The Fairy Godmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanksfan View Post
Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. (In the British paperback of GoF, p. 613, it says: "I've heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before" - never is not in there... - but I see anabel has pointed that out already.)
I saw that earlier but had to leave for class. Isn't it odd that the books are written so differently.Of course, if Fudge was being sarcastic it would give both ways of saying it the same meaning. My brain hurts now.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue,
and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Old March 13th, 2007, 11:22 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanksfan View Post
I've only skim-read the last few pages, so forgive me if anyone's brought up this before.

I read this just a few weeks ago, and it made me think of the Dark Mark. I don't know if it's a curse scar, but it certainly does act like an alarm bell... But Fudge suggesting that Harry's scar acts in the same way doesn't really make sense...

It's a mistake in some of the earlier editions of GoF, "never" is included in the more recent ones.

Old March 14th, 2007, 2:37 am
Second Year

I'm not quite sure this is the the right place, but I couldn't find a better place. We all know that some witches and wizards are born to Muggle parents hence making them Muggle-born. But is it, for lack of a better word, a genetic thing. For example Colin Creevy we learn is the son of a milk man, yet Dennis Creevy is also a wizard. Yet Lily Evans was a Muggle-born witch and Jo has confirmed that Petunia Evans is a Muggle. Is there a likelyhood one way or the other? Another example I may have missed?

Old March 14th, 2007, 2:45 am
First Year

I think Sirius was a definite secret-keeper for the Potters because no where does it say he wasnt NOT the secret keeper (nouble negative). I dont think this subject would be as important for JK rowling to elaborate on in book 7, she has to spend time on the plot ok the book. she might brush by the subject, this is all in my opinion take or leave it.

Old March 14th, 2007, 5:23 am
The Fairy Godmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2voldi View Post
I think Sirius was a definite secret-keeper for the Potters because no where does it say he wasnt NOT the secret keeper (nouble negative).
When Sirius, Lupin and the kids were in the shrieking shack he said he talked the Potters into using Pettigrew instead. Sirius definitely was not the secret keeper for the Potters.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue,
and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Old March 14th, 2007, 6:38 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

In the scene in the shreaking shack where Remus & Sirius turn the rat Wormtail back into Peter the Man . Does it ever say what the spell was that they used to do it ? I can't find any mention of it in my books (Canadian version) does it say anything about it in the British or US or other Foreign Language Books ?

thanks
twins

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 14th, 2007, 6:43 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
In the scene in the shreaking shack where Remus & Sirius turn the rat Wormtail back into Peter the Man . Does it ever say what the spell was that they used to do it ?
Sirius used a non-verbal spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus_fan View Post
Another example I may have missed?
The Patil twins, though it is not confirmed that they are muggle born, but one can hazard a guess in their case.

Old March 14th, 2007, 11:13 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus_fan View Post
I'm not quite sure this is the the right place, but I couldn't find a better place. We all know that some witches and wizards are born to Muggle parents hence making them Muggle-born. But is it, for lack of a better word, a genetic thing. For example Colin Creevy we learn is the son of a milk man, yet Dennis Creevy is also a wizard. Yet Lily Evans was a Muggle-born witch and Jo has confirmed that Petunia Evans is a Muggle. Is there a likelyhood one way or the other? Another example I may have missed?
Hermione of course, and Justin Finch-Fletchley are also Muggle-born. There you can find a table, which showed Jo in an interview. The second row is the interesting part for this question. It contains the blood pupils are born with. Stars have those who are purebloods, stars with a circle halfbloods. The N described muggleborn people like Hermione. There are 5 visible inclusive 3 we know so far, but there are more because the other part of the page isn`t visible.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:35 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenEye View Post
It's a mistake in some of the earlier editions of GoF, "never" is included in the more recent ones.
I like the sarcastic version better - it sounds more realistic, but I suspect it was changed so as not to confuse people. I wonder how long after DH it will be "safe" to buy a complete boxed set with all the corrections in place?

Old March 14th, 2007, 11:55 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
I like the sarcastic version better - it sounds more realistic, but I suspect it was changed so as not to confuse people. I wonder how long after DH it will be "safe" to buy a complete boxed set with all the corrections in place?
oh i say about 6 years!!!

looking at that note book page i noticed micheal corner on there. is it just my bad memory or is he (like i thought) in ginny's year? i'm easily confused and don't have my books at the moment.

Old March 14th, 2007, 12:28 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
looking at that note book page i noticed micheal corner on there. is it just my bad memory or is he (like i thought) in ginny's year? i'm easily confused and don't have my books at the moment.
No, I'm pretty sure he's in Harry's year.
Quote:
Corner, Michael (1980 [Y0] - present) RavenclawDumbledore's Army
Ravenclaw, 1991 - 1998 [Y11 - Y18]
Michael is a dark-haired boy who met Ginny Weasley at the Yule Ball and began dating her at the end of the 1994 - 1995 [Y14 - Y15] school year; through Ginny, Michael and his friends joined the DA (OP16). Michael sulked so much after Gryffindor defeated Ravenclaw in 1996 [Y16] that Ginny dumped him, after which he took up with Cho Chang (OP38).
Michael Corner appeared on JKR's list of students in Harry's year (HPM) but was noted as a Hufflepuff on that paper. This list contradicts books in many places and cannot be considered canon.

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/a-z/c.html

Old March 14th, 2007, 12:48 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestLBeing View Post
1) The three that are capitalized all have to do with magic, ie: spells.
Thanks for the grammar lesson CelestBeing...I really need to go back to school! Heck I'm having trouble with my girl's first grade math

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
That has been asked numerous times in assuming Regulus is RAB thread. We haven't got a certain answer for that one...
Thanks mysterious! I've tried to read all the post since I've joined, but I must have missed that topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious
Wand-less magic is something that is not unheard of. But the power is magic performed is better concentrated through a wand, that is why wizards use wands.
I brought this over from v 9 (hope you don't mind). I know that wand-less magic is possible (but I don't think we've seen that very much), and even though Tom is only around 9 or 10, I still can't imagine how he accomplished these acts (I know he is powerful, but still a kid). I could see a kid strangling a rabbit, tying it to some string and throwing it over a beam or something like that and depending on how he tied it, he could have slipped it off. But being able to levitate two kids down a cliff has me stumped.

Anyway, I have another two fold question. I asked one the other day, but no one responded.

1.How was Tom's name put down to attend Hogwart's since birth. Who registered him or is a magical student automatically entered?

2.And lastly, since Tom was performing underage magic, how come the MoM never sent him any owls or some type of warning? I realize that Harry's accidental magic (before he was accepted to Hogwarts) he didn't receive any messages, but no doubt this magic had to be noticed by them..they tend to be johnny on the spot, but you would think that MoM would have been aware that Tom's magic was way over the top and dangerous.

Old March 14th, 2007, 1:40 pm
Registered Animagus

McGonagall has a magic book that writes down all the names of witches and wizards that are born. Each year she checks the book and sends owls to those turning 11 before September 1st.

Sounds a bit on the "Happy Ever After" side of things for me, but that's what Jo said.

I assume that, as Tom was under 11, and thus wasn't explicitly told he was a wizard, he was let off. It's the same theory for Harry and his levitating onto the roof or his hair growing back.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old March 14th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottriplets View Post
1.How was Tom's name put down to attend Hogwart's since birth. Who registered him or is a magical student automatically entered?
That has been answered by Jo...

Online chat transcript, Scholastic.com, 3 February 2000 How can two Muggles have a kid with magical powers? Also how does the Ministry of Magic find out these kids have powers?

A. It's the same as two black-haired people producing a redheaded child. Sometimes these things just happen, and no one really knows why! The Ministry of Magic doesn't find out which children are magic. In Hogwarts there's a magical quill which detects the birth of a magical child, and writes his or her name down in a large parchment book. Every year Professor McGonagall checks the book, and sends owls to the people who are turning 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottriplets View Post
2.And lastly, since Tom was performing underage magic, how come the MoM never sent him any owls or some type of warning? I realize that Harry's accidental magic (before he was accepted to Hogwarts) he didn't receive any messages, but no doubt this magic had to be noticed by them..they tend to be johnny on the spot, but you would think that MoM would have been aware that Tom's magic was way over the top and dangerous.
MoM detects magic, and not underage magic per se. So when Tom performed magic, the Ministry knew that someone had performed magic, but since it was an isolated area and not a muggle occupied area, therefore they didn't bother to check.

Old March 14th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Third Year

I always wonder about Irish witches and wizards- do you think they all go to Hogwarts, or is there a school in Ireland? Seamus Finnegan is Irish, and Luna seems to be, but no other Irish students are mentioned. Also in one scene we see Seamus buying his school supplies in Diagon Alley, I would imagine there has to be a place in Ireland where witches and wizards can buy stuff.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives