Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why was Voldemort's true identity as Tom Riddle not common knowledge?

Old April 7th, 2007, 11:56 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Re: Why was Voldemort's true identity as Tom Riddle not common knowledge?

We noted that at the MoM encounter between Dumbledore and Voldemort, Dumbledore continued to call Volde by his given name, Tom. It really caused him a lot of angst and caused him to make mistakes. He fired curse after curse to no avail. He was leaving openings. A true warrior will not let people goad him, but will maintain control.

This means that Voldemort's true name is a weapon of power to use against him.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:02 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
We noted that at the MoM encounter between Dumbledore and Voldemort, Dumbledore continued to call Volde by his given name, Tom. It really caused him a lot of angst and caused him to make mistakes. He fired curse after curse to no avail. He was leaving openings. A true warrior will not let people goad him, but will maintain control.

Yes. I think it's because:

A.) As he said, his real name links him to his muggle father and
B.) Having an "ordinary" name would mean that he was little more than an ordinary person, and we all know that Voldemort doesn't view himself as ordinary.

"Of a sane man there can be only one safe definition: he is man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."
--G.K. Chesterton
Old April 14th, 2007, 3:45 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

If Volde managed to wipe away his true identity from most people's memories, but a select few still knew the truth--those that oppose him--why let people to continue to fear the name Voldemort, such that it can't be uttered in pleasant conversation?

Voldemort is a rather creepy name, but do you suppose people would have been just as afraid of TOM RIDDLE, if that name were associated with the same person?

You know, they never managed to wipe Tom's name from the school. They had an honor for him in the trophy case for SERVICES TO THE SCHOOL. His name was not totally forgotten, so why not let the whole world know that Tom Riddle and Voldemort were one in the same?

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old April 14th, 2007, 3:56 am
First Year

Voldemort is a Half-Blood. Before his mother (who was a witch) died, she named Voldemort, Tom Riddle after his muggle father. Tom did not like the fact that he was Half-Blood and how he was named after his "filthy" muggle father. At school, he fashioned himself the name Voldemort, to use between his friends, who for the most part, became Death Eaters. People did not knowis his name was Tom Riddle because they were afraid of everything having to do with Voldemort. So, they did not casually talk about his real name because that would have to bring about the discussion of Voldemort.

Old April 14th, 2007, 4:01 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada_Kills View Post
Voldemort is a Half-Blood. Before his mother (who was a witch) died, she named Voldemort, Tom Riddle after his muggle father. Tom did not like the fact that he was Half-Blood and how he was named after his "filthy" muggle father. At school, he fashioned himself the name Voldemort, to use between his friends, who for the most part, became Death Eaters. People did not knowis his name was Tom Riddle because they were afraid of everything having to do with Voldemort. So, they did not casually talk about his real name because that would have to bring about the discussion of Voldemort.
So, you think that the association was simply forgotten by the common folk? That sounds plausible.

Old April 14th, 2007, 9:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernInkling View Post
I've always thought that Voldemort deliberately destroyed as many traces of his old identity as he could. And, most people who accidentally stumbled upon any of the remaining evidence of his old identity, were probably too scared to say anything about it. Perhaps this was one of the reasons why he always hated and feared Dumbledore so much - he was one of the only ones who knew how he'd started out.
I agree. He wanted to wipe out all traces of his muggle father, and one of the biggest forms of this was getting rid of his father's muggle name.

Old April 14th, 2007, 9:36 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post

I hope Harry remembers this in the final battle.

Old April 19th, 2007, 5:56 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I hope Harry remembers this in the final battle.
So do I.

This is something that I think will be imparted to Harry by Dumbledore's portrait. At the time of Albus's encounter with Voldemort at the MoM, I don't think that he realised how much of a weapon it really was. When he said the name "Tom" so casually, as if talking to an old friend, I doubt Dumbledore really identified it as a weapon at the time. Later, but before he could spell it out for Harry, he may have come to that conclusion, but now will have to let his portrait speak for him.

Side note:

I have heard the numbers for the Wizarding Population of the U.K. at anywhere between 600 and 10000. It is difficult to keep secrets in such a small populous, which is why I found it so odd that this connection was never made, and attempts to exploit it were not made in the first war.

Old April 20th, 2007, 12:25 am
First Year

i think some people did know that was him but were too afraid of wat would happen if they said anything about to anyone else

or dobby will get you!!
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old April 20th, 2007, 3:52 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Well, that seems to be the common consensus...

Old April 20th, 2007, 4:47 am
Fourth Year

why no one knew tom ?

harry
everyone who was in hagworts since harry started could say they know
harry

every one in his year could say they knew harry

every one in any of his class cold say they knewe harry

so who raely knows harry ?

how many of his classmates or schoolmates would know him on sight if he
changed his name and some how stayed out of the news for about 50 years

Old April 20th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2099 View Post
why no one knew tom ?

harry
harry

I'm confused. Are you saying that because Harry was well known that Tom would be?

If that is the case, I would have to say that I disagree. Harry was famous from when he was one year old. Tom was merely an unknown orphan. Sure, some of his classmates would recognize his name, but he looks much different now. I also don't think that many people would know what Voldemort looks like.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old April 20th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Third Year

This is a good idea, if his half-blood status was known it might discourage pure-blood followers. I see a major problem in this is, the poor reporter who would have to report it. I think there would be torture and a killing curse in that reporter's future. It is a great scoop but is it really worth your life? I could see Dumbledore saying it repeatedly, but noone at the Prophet reporting it.
I do think he was well known by his schoolmates since he was head boy. I do agree with others who have said he only revealed his name to his closest "friends" and his appearence changed so drastically it would be hard to tell who he was prior. Dumbledore also mentioned he laid low for a few years it would be easy to see why not many made the connection.

Then I don't wish to be right!
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:55 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2099 View Post
why no one knew tom ?

harry
harry

Ah, but Dumbledore recognized him immediately during his interview for the DADA job. Many of his Deatheaters were "friends" of his during school, and called him Voldemort at that time. Surely someone would have made the connection pretty easily, and would not have just sat on it. They would have told anyone they could, especially after his exploits came to light.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 5:52 am
First Year

A few people would know Voldemort's real name, including Hogwarts teachers and students. However, many of these people did not see Tom again for a long time after finishing school. So I believe they just forgot and never associated Tom with Voldemort seeing that he was so different. Dumbledore knew because he kept a close watch on him. Does this make sense???? What I mean is, I'm not going to remember a few people from my school a few years from now and even if I see them on the street I may not remember them.
Voldemort looked a lot different, even his eyes were different!!! So how would some people associate him with the good looking boy at Hogwarts?? Furthermore, many people would never have heard of Tom Riddle so they could not have known. Fear is also very important here because some people would not have wanted to know who he was.

"What do you mean, I'm not brave in bed?" said Harry, completely nonplussed. "What- am I supposed to be frightened of - pillows or something?" - Harry
"Malfoy glanced around. Then he looked back at Harry and said in a low voice, "You're dead, Potter."
Harry raised his eyebrows. "Funny," he said, "you'd think I'd have stopped walking around..."

Why does HP have to end???WHY???? I want it to last forever and ever...and ever.....and ever...Please Jo...I'll do anything..
Old April 22nd, 2007, 6:58 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't know but I suppose he found no reason to tell anyone. It's personal information and I don't see him divulging it freely. Then again, those who went to school with him would know his real name so maybe he just didn't want that information to leak? Lord Voldemort, enigmatic villain seems even more heinous than Tom Riddle, former Hogwarts student even though he was always a terror.

It's also possible that he wanted to sever all ties to his past. Doing so would make it harder for Order and Ministry members alike to destroy him. After all, it was his past actions that allowed Dumbledore to figure out as much as he did. His past says a lot about him and his motives.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old April 22nd, 2007, 7:49 am
First Year

People were so afraid of him, they refused to use even his self created name--the name he created to get rid of his muggle surname. I imagine he didn't take it well if a death eater slipped up and called him Riddle--that is if they even knew that was his birth name.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 8:17 am
Fifth Year

A variety of reasons:
  • Tom only used the Voldemort alias around his closest "friends" (early DEs - most of which were killed in the first war)
  • Although Tom Riddle had renounced his birth name long ago, he was still a civilian wizard until around 1955, I believe, when he applied to become DADA teacher and was rejected. After his rejection, Dumbledore says, he went underground, learning all kinds of Dark Magic, making Horcruxes, recruiting DEs, etc. 15 years later, Tom re-emerged, this time calling himself publicly Lord Voldemort, and by this time his appearance had changed so much that very few recognized him. It's probably around this time Voldemort started to look like a snake.
  • Most of the wizarding community is unable to say his name, so I doubt any reporter/etc would want to know his real name

Excluding Harry and friends, I'd say Dumbledore, Slughorn, McGonagoll (also went to school w/Tom), the Order (possible exception of Hagrid, it's not really clear whether he ever figured out Tom was Voldemort), and maybe some Aurors.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:35 am
First Year

I guess it wasn't a popular subject, i mean, they were probably to worried thinking about Voldemont, to think about Tom Riddle.
But i agree with MrSleepyHead..

Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:50 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

I know one can't really compare apples to oranges, but here in the Muggle World, you want to get the word out with as accurate of information as possible.

For those of you who are familiar with American Old West History, then the name Billy The Kid probably rings a bell. On his Wanted Posters they had HENRY McCARTY, ALIAS, HENRY ANTRIM, ALIAS BILLY THE KID, ALIAS WILLIAM H. BONNEY, ALIAS WILLIAM H. KIDD. They wanted people to know by what names he went. Especially, they wanted people to know his real name (still a question of debate, but that is another story).

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives