Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Secret Sinistra?

Old March 30th, 2007, 12:06 am
First Year

Secret Sinistra?

I have been wondering for a while about the little spoken about astronomy teacher- Professor Sinistra.
1. She is rarely mentioned in six of the books so far.
2. The only astronomy class ever described is the one in book five, where people go to attack Hagrid, during their OWLS.
3. Sinestra sounds very much like sinister.
4. What is her personality like? Would she ever join the Death Eaters?
5. Will we ever see her again in the Deathly Hallows?
What do you think?

Read my FANFIC! (You and I Collide) And then REVIEW!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:53 am
First Year

Re: Secret Sinistra?

they mention divination class all the time, so im not sure what your talking about

Old March 30th, 2007, 1:22 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurdian View Post
they mention divination class all the time, so im not sure what your talking about
Uhhh what are you talking about? I believe he was talking about Professor Sinistra and Astronomy not Divination.

I have always believed there is something mysterious about Sinistra. Astronomy is the only class that Harry takes, that is barely ever talked about. I mean, even Professor Binns and History of Magic are talked about a lot more.

Old March 30th, 2007, 2:24 am
Triple Threat in Third Place

Matt and Timex...I'm with you guys. I have always wondered about her, especially with that name. I would have thought we'd hear more about that class all along considering alot of people in these books are named after stars and the centaurs are able to divine the future via the stars and planets. Who knows? but we will all find out very soon!

Old March 30th, 2007, 2:36 am
Second Year

Hmmm...I've never really thought about this. Yeah Sinistra is a very interesting name, kind of foreboding. I would hope that a Hogwarts teacher would never become a Death Eater though, I would hope DD would be a better judge of character than that.

Harry and Ron spoiled Deathly Hallows . . . and Snape doesn't like spoilers.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old March 30th, 2007, 2:55 am
Second Year

An interesting tidbit for you:

Sinistra means 'left ' (like a direction not a past tense action) in italian. Destra means 'right'

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night, and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
-Professor Albus Dumbledore
1840 - 1997
Old March 30th, 2007, 3:26 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

The etiology of the word Sinistra goes to the Latin word "sinister" which does mean "on the left", which was then related to the old biblical referrences about position in relation to The Father. Jesus is seated at the Right Hand of the father, where as Lucifer was thought to be seated to his left.

Ancient Babyonians thought of left handed people to be practicioners of Black Magic.

In terms of handedness, left handed people are thought to be more creative, more analytical and clearer of thought, more mischieveous, and also in some cultures deviant or evilly aligned.

Professor Sinistra's name is significant in that we don't know a first name.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 30th, 2007, 3:43 am
First Year

the theory is compelling but i dont think it will happen for one main reason: Jo would never spring something like this on us! (i hope)...

The spy is likely to be someone we actually know and trust, not someone who is barely ever mentioned in the series. Even though the name has a sinister connotation (no pun intended), it seems more likely that a spy would have a more central role in the past books. Making Sinistra evil would be TOO random, if you know what I mean?

Old March 30th, 2007, 3:56 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
The etiology of the word Sinistra goes to the Latin word "sinister" which does mean "on the left", which was then related to the old biblical referrences about position in relation to The Father. Jesus is seated at the Right Hand of the father, where as Lucifer was thought to be seated to his left.

Ancient Babyonians thought of left handed people to be practicioners of Black Magic.

In terms of handedness, left handed people are thought to be more creative, more analytical and clearer of thought, more mischieveous, and also in some cultures deviant or evilly aligned.

It is also believed that on Judgement Day God will rise those worthy souls to heaven with his right hand and cast down the sinners into hell with his Left hand.

Old March 30th, 2007, 4:01 am
Fifth Year

I have wondered about this for a long time too. The sound of her name has always given me a bad feeling about her. The fact that the Bloody Baron spends time on the Astronomy tower doesn't help matters any. But maybe she was a Slytherine when she was in Hogwarts as a student.

If she was a Slytherine, it doesn't make me feel any better.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Old March 30th, 2007, 6:51 am
First Year

Quote:
I may be wrong, but isn't Professor Sinistra's first name Aurora? And apparently Sinistra is the name of a star in the constellation Ophiuchus, which means the serpent holder. So this could suggest Slytherin.

Old March 30th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfindors_heir View Post
Hmmm...I've never really thought about this. Yeah Sinistra is a very interesting name, kind of foreboding. I would hope that a Hogwarts teacher would never become a Death Eater though, I would hope DD would be a better judge of character than that.
It's definitely has a foreboding ring to it. I do think that DD is a good judge of character and certainly believes in giving people a chance to redeem themselves..I'm sure we would all think of Snape in this respect...Trelawny was not a "dab hand" at Divination, but DD took her (probably more for protection) than anything else. But he took her in, instead of putting her in the "witness (wizard) protection program" protected by the Fidelus Charm. Now...we have Dolores Umbridge..not sure how she got there. Either DD took a mighty big chance with her or she was forced onto him because he couldn't find a teacher and the MoM "found" one for him. I think there was one of those Educational Decree thingys that pertained to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewordpassers View Post
Sinistra means 'left ' (like a direction not a past tense action) in italian. Destra means 'right'
I love finding out where names of things or people are derived from, but admittedly I have never looked this one up...going to go grab my dictionary (my favorite book after the HP ones).

Quote:
Sinistra -To the left and not the to the right...maybe she's a democrat! Sorry I had to say that. You are absolutely right about the biblical references.
Quote:
One of my triplets is left handed (the only one in the immediate family) and I can assure you that the traits you have mentioned fit her to a T, especially mischievous...she isn't deviant or evilly aligned though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussman110 View Post
Making Sinistra evil would be TOO random, if you know what I mean?
She would definitely be a Random person and would be such a twist. Even though we can all agree that the name sounds foreboding...I really don't see Jo throwing her into the whole story line in the last book, but who am I to day? Maybe Jo is a big Frank "Sinatra" fan (another attempt at humor).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCON79 View Post
It is also believed that on Judgement Day God will rise those worthy souls to heaven with his right hand and cast down the sinners into hell with his Left hand.
I haven't heard that before, but it really makes a lot of sense considering the other biblical reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taupimu View Post
I have wondered about this for a long time too. The sound of her name has always given me a bad feeling about her. The fact that the Bloody Baron spends time on the Astronomy tower doesn't help matters any. But maybe she was a Slytherine when she was in Hogwarts as a student.

If she was a Slytherine, it doesn't make me feel any better.
Wow, I never even thought about the Bloody Baron hanging out around there, but you're right. I'm going to have to check out the HP Lexicon to see if it says what house she was in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
I may be wrong, but isn't Professor Sinistra's first name Aurora? And apparently Sinistra is the name of a star in the constellation Ophiuchus, which means the serpent holder. So this could suggest Slytherin.
Once again..I never really looked her up as far as the etiology goes or the Astronomical reference..going to get the dictionary or check Wikipedia (I do believe you)...but a "serpent holder" does sound sinister. I truly believe Jo's naming of her characters is so key, like Sirius...being called the dog star and he is a dog animagus, and Merope, the only star in the Pleiades not visible to the naked eye...in mythology she hid her face in shame for marrying a mortal.

OMG...my democratic joke above isn't a joke after all..Left Democrats can mean:

* Democrats of the Left (Democratici di Sinistra) - a political party in Italy
* Left Democrats (Všnsterdemokraterna) - a minor political party in Sweden

Well this is going to make my post a novel, but here it goes...Wikipedia says Professor Sinistra's first name isn't mentioned in the books and Aurora isn't canon, but the name Aurora has been noted in Jo's scribbles. Then it says this...
WikipediaProfessor Sinistra's name may originate from the Latin sinister, meaning left or with a direction to the left, this could possible be a reference to the fact that the planets of the solar system rotate counterclockwise (left). However it is more likely the the name derives from the star Sinistra which is part of the constellation of Ophiuchus "The Serpent Holder". While this suggests a Slytherin connection it doesn't suggest an evil one as Ophiuchus represents Asclepius, the demigod of medicine and healing in ancient Greek mythology who carried a staff with a snake wraped around it. An image which represents medicine the world over to this day. The contemporary meaning of the word sinister is "having bad intent", but considering Professor Sinistra's uninvolvement in the plot so far this is a less likely theory.

Her forename is derived from the sheet of scribbles, and has never been used by the author in any up-to-date source. It is, of course a reference to the Aurora or "northern lights" which themselves get their name from the Roman Goddess of the dawn. However, it unquestionably derives from Rowling. The notes also list her as a female.

Sorry this was so long...I guess we'll just have to wait until July and find out...

Old March 30th, 2007, 1:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
You're not wrong, or at least Lexicon would indicate you are right!

Just had a thought, though I'm not aware of any canon for it. Jo has indicated that using constellations is a family tradition, and that Narcissa is the exception to the rule. If Sinistra has this in common, could this mean that a) she is pure blood and/or b) related to Sirius, Bella, Draco etc?

Quote:
queenmarion: I noticed in the Black Family tree that everyone is named after a constellation. Is this intentional? Does this have any bearing on the plot?
JK Rowling replies -> It's just one of those family traditions, although Narcissa breaks the trend. I had always thought of her as 'Narcissa' so I decided not to change her to match the others when I came up with their names. There's been a lot of speculation that she is in some way linked to Lily and Petunia, because of the flower theme, but I can put that rumour to rest here: she isn't related to them.
Accio Quote

Old March 30th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Yes, and at the same time a resounding "no". Yes, Professor's Sinistra's first name was Aurora in an early draft, but did not make it to a final copy. Therefore, we cannot consider Professor Sinistra's first name to be Aurora, and it be canon. For some reason, the first name was withheld.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 30th, 2007, 9:37 pm
Second Year

Rather than her position as 'Serpent holder' being sinister, if you'll pardon the pun, maybe it means she plays a key role in holding back Voldemort? Holding the serpent at bay? The Death Eaters used the astronomy tower as a ploy before - maybe they'll try again but Sinistra stops them or alerts the others?

Old March 31st, 2007, 12:42 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingdon View Post
Rather than her position as 'Serpent holder' being sinister, if you'll pardon the pun, maybe it means she plays a key role in holding back Voldemort? Holding the serpent at bay? The Death Eaters used the astronomy tower as a ploy before - maybe they'll try again but Sinistra stops them or alerts the others?
Good thought, but I do not think (she) will take such an important role. She may be waylayed in the process of holding back an onslaught from Voldemort's minions against the school; and likely killed, since how powerful can an astronomer be?

Old March 31st, 2007, 1:05 am
First Year

there's ofcourse 1 obvious possibility why she isn't talked about. waste of pages and/or jk rowling has problems writing about astronomy

Old March 31st, 2007, 1:43 am
First Year

Just something to think about: At the Yule Ball in GoF wasn't Sinistra dancing with imposter Moody (Barty Jr)? Maybe I've been reading too much fanfiction, but do you think it's possible that Sinistra and Barty had a thing in the past and this would incline Sinistra towards the dark side? Maybe she even knew who “Moody’s” real identity was, because, personally I know I’d never dance with Moody unless I knew for sure he was really a very hot Death Eater on Polyjuice potion. LOL crack theory aside, I don’t think Jo would make such an obscure background character important in DH. There is simply no time to suddenly spring a whole new character on us. Had Sinistra gotten a bit of dialogue or screentime or mention in HBP I might be inclined to think differently, but she didn’t.

Last edited by MizzMoonyLuver; March 31st, 2007 at 1:46 am.
Old March 31st, 2007, 4:39 am
First Year

my mistake, i thought we were speaking of divination

as for the bible reference, it doesnt happen that way, those that are to be with god meet god in the sky, everyone else is given a chance to repent before all hell breaks lose, they arent sent to hell to its all over, and the book of truth sorts out everyone, who isnt with god

Old March 31st, 2007, 4:43 am
Fourth Year

If this adds anything, and I know that this has already been pointed out, but the word sinistra means "left" in Italian. Maybe this could imply la Professoressa's side leanings? Voldemort? The Ministry?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies