Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Secret Sinistra?



 
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old June 3rd, 2007, 3:48 am
loona  Female.gif loona is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5099 days
Location: florida
Age: 39
Posts: 373
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurdian View Post
my mistake, i thought we were speaking of divination


as for the bible reference, it doesnt happen that way, those that are to be with god meet god in the sky, everyone else is given a chance to repent before all hell breaks lose, they arent sent to hell to its all over, and the book of truth sorts out everyone, who isnt with god
Quote:
When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world...Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels...And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. (Matt 25:31-34, 41, 46)
That was taken from Wkipedia. I think it would be (as all of the bible is) a matter of interpretation.

Point is, however, that the "goats" on the left hand are the "bad apples" if you will, and are cursed to everlasting flame (hell).

As interesting as I find this, it is hard to believe that Sinistra will play a big role. But Jo is amazing, and if thats what she has written, than it will be done well.

As far as her being related to Snape ... I have always believed Snape to be an only child. However, I wouldn't say no to her being a cousin or something.


Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old June 3rd, 2007, 6:38 pm
torrik  Female.gif torrik is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4248 days
Location: wales uk
Posts: 21
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfindors_heir View Post
Hmmm...I've never really thought about this. Yeah Sinistra is a very interesting name, kind of foreboding. I would hope that a Hogwarts teacher would never become a Death Eater though, I would hope DD would be a better judge of character than that.
erm snape was is a death eater so anythings possible?

maybe jo has nothing to say on her because she isnt worth talking about shes just a teacher and nothing more. but on the other hand she rarely mentions anyone with little background for no reason.


  #43  
Old June 4th, 2007, 1:07 pm
CathyWeasley's Avatar
CathyWeasley  Female.gif CathyWeasley is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4812 days
Location: ...erm...
Age: 52
Posts: 2,455
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Glad I found this thread. I have been thinking for a while that there must be another spy at Hogwarts - or someone whose loyalties are not to Dumbledore. I wondered if it might be Prof. Sinistra given her name. In addition to what other people have said about the Latin origins of her name I have also heard a Roman "expert" talk about how they believed that the left side was the dark side - the sinister side. And ever sonce I have had it in thge back of my mind the Sinistra could be on the dark side.
I also think that a spy should be someone who is not noticed. Someone who just gets on with their job and doesn't bring attention on themselves. This is why I don't think Snape is evil, and why I think someone like Prof. Sinistra would be perfect as a spy because nobody notices her.


__________________




Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.


Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending


Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
  #44  
Old June 4th, 2007, 7:27 pm
Polaris  Undisclosed.gif Polaris is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5219 days
Location: The Little Dipper
Posts: 125
Re: Secret Sinistra?

I found this link on the star Sinistra in the constellation Ophiuchus - from what I recall this constellation is the 13th on the Celestial Equator, though isn't considered to be part of the zodiac. Anyway, I hope this works,

users.winshop.com.au/annew/Sinistra.html

sorry, I don't know how to create links to webpages.


  #45  
Old June 4th, 2007, 9:36 pm
irmapince  Female.gif irmapince is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4599 days
Location: Weaver's Way
Posts: 436
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookwormRC View Post
This argument is incredibly thought out. I enjoyed reading it and though I don't agree with it (I'll eat my hat if Snape has a sibling who happens to also teach at Hogwarts), a couple of the points you raised definitely piqued my interest.

Firstly, why DID Snape search the Astronomy Tower? It would seem much more logical for him to search an area he's more familiar with/would be already located at (as you said, the dungeons, where his classes, office, and presumable living quarters are).

Secondly, the Bloody Baron frequenting that area of the castle is also quite thought provoking. It could mean a connection to Snape/Voldemort/Slytherin. Or it could be that it's a cold, dark, hidden section of the castle and the Baron likes to chill out on the turrets or something.

Thirdly, I think the most fascinating tidbit is regarding her name meaning "Serpent Holder." With all the serpentine symbolism that Jo carefully sprinkles throughout the series, Sinistra's name doesn't seem like something that should be cast aside so easily, simply because she's only mentioned in passing. As mentioned, the Greek mythological connotations link snakes to healing/herbalism/medicine. The caduceus (healing staff with a serpent wrapping around it) is still widely used by medical doctors (in the U.S. at least...I don't know about other countries around the globe and I don't want to make grandiose assumptions ). Sinistra as healer/aid/seer to Harry on his quest? Sinistra as healer/aid/seer to LV on his second rise to power? I don't know...just something to chew on.
Thank you! Yes, it is strange that Snape is searching the Astronomy Tower when it is so far from where his students are (the dungeons) and he should have no association with the Astronomy Tower. Second, why does the Bloody Baron, the Slytherin ghost stay in the Astronomy Tower rather than the dungeons?

I really liked how you mentioned JKR's use of serpentine symbolism. Interestingly JKR has said that snake lore will be important in book 7

Quote:
JKR - There are so many legends attached to the snake. . .And you find them all cultures, bizarrely. It fascinates me. But I can’t go on about that too long. Because, as people who watch me interviewed will know, I very boringly end up saying “you’ve got to wait for Book 7”. I can’t say too much about that.
Since Sinistra is such an obviously serpentine name this could indicate Sinistra will play a larger role in DH.

Also, the herione in Tchaikovsky' famous ballet "Sleeping Beauty" is named Princess Aurora (as in Aurora Sinistra and perhaps Princess as in Prince). In the story Princess Aurora is asleep in a tower, similar to how Sinistra is associated with the Astronomy Tower. She goes into that sleep because she is pricked by a spindle (similar to "Spinner's End").

In the Grimm version of "Sleeping Beauty," the heroine is named Briar Rose which goes back to JKR's flower themed names. Furthermore, Briar can be spelled Brier, which is Heather in French. And another name for briar rose is Eglantine, all of which can give Sinistra's first name a "triple" flower reference. The root for Eglantine if from Latin acus "needle" or aculeus "prickle," both going back to "Spinner's End" with the spindle theme.

Quote:
Interesting theory. We don't hear much about vampires and such throughout the series though, so while this is something that definitely arouses some thought, I don't think it's very likely. But you never know...
Thanks! My pet theory is that Snape and Sinistra are half brother and sister, with Sinistra's father being a Vampire. Specifically, just like Hagrid's mom left Hagrid's dad and had GWARP with a giant, Eileen might have divorced Tobias, married a Vampire and had Sinistra. This would explain why the two have different last names.


__________________

Favorie quotes - "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance" - Ophelia, Hamlet, Shakespeare "Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister." ~ Katherine Mansfield "A serpent signifies a king because of its strength." - Artemidorus, Oneirocritica "They called me the hyacinth girl.'" - T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land, as narrated by Tiresias "I have been a multitude of shapes, Before I assumed a consistent form." - Taliesin.
  #46  
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:00 pm
rigdoctorbri's Avatar
rigdoctorbri  Male.gif rigdoctorbri is offline
Purveyor of Prophesy
 
Joined: 4963 days
Location: Arguing with myself
Age: 47
Posts: 2,336
Re: Secret Sinistra?

The notion that Sinistra or Astronomy will play a part in fortelling the future events is not likely. You see, I have noticed a parallel between Divination and Astronomy in the Wizarding World to those same subjects in the Muggle World.

The Wizarding World likes to point out that anyone from the Muggle World calling themselves a wizard, magician, illusionist, southeseer, psychic, Seer, etc...are merely charlatans and tricksters. The parallel is that they seem to regard such sciences in their world the same way. Dumbledore never took much stock in Divination, and the rest think of it as an inexact or obscure branch of magic not worth the study. So far, aside from The Prophesy, that is how it is.

Not enough about Sinistra has been divulged, and I doubt it will be of importance.


__________________
Special thanks to storyteller for the Banner
Thanks to all who voted for me in the Through The Trapdoor: Fourth Challenge!

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
  #47  
Old June 27th, 2007, 2:21 pm
gottriplets's Avatar
gottriplets  Female.gif gottriplets is offline
Triple Threat in Third Place
 
Joined: 4325 days
Location: Out of my mind...
Age: 56
Posts: 706
Re: Secret Sinistra?

I have to say that Professor Sinistra will just be one of those teachers that we will not learn much about. There are other teachers that are pretty much in the same boat for instance Professor Sprout, we can see the parallel between her last name and the subject she teaches, Professor Flitwick the charms teacher has only been mentioned a few times. Professor Binns History of Magic (that bores everyone), Professor Trelawny Divination, Professor McGonagall, Professor Sinistra Astronomy. I can't think of anyone else besides Hagrid.

I know Sinistra isn't mentioned very much and I think she might just being a "filler" character. We'll have to see though in book 7. There just might be a link between her and the centaurs (or Firenze).


__________________

  #48  
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:50 pm
Kassiah  Female.gif Kassiah is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4694 days
Location: Louisiana USA
Posts: 58
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Quote:
Thanks! My pet theory is that Snape and Sinistra are half brother and sister, with Sinistra's father being a Vampire. Specifically, just like Hagrid's mom left Hagrid's dad and had GWARP with a giant, Eileen might have divorced Tobias, married a Vampire and had Sinistra. This would explain why the two have different last names.
I like this theory. Are there any passages that describe what she looks like? I don't see her as the spy though, when we know basically nothing about her. There just isn't time for a major develpment of a character like that!


__________________


Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #49  
Old June 29th, 2007, 8:45 pm
irmapince  Female.gif irmapince is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4599 days
Location: Weaver's Way
Posts: 436
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
The notion that Sinistra or Astronomy will play a part in fortelling the future events is not likely. You see, I have noticed a parallel between Divination and Astronomy in the Wizarding World to those same subjects in the Muggle World.

The Wizarding World likes to point out that anyone from the Muggle World calling themselves a wizard, magician, illusionist, southeseer, psychic, Seer, etc...are merely charlatans and tricksters. The parallel is that they seem to regard such sciences in their world the same way.
Yes, but there is a difference between astrologly and astronomy. Astrology is a pseudo-science that uses astronomy to describe a person or to predict the future. Firenze and the Centaurs practice astrology. Astronomy is a real science based on fact and boasts the likes of Galileo and Copernicus. That is what Sinistra teaches. This could be a clue that Sinistra is someone who tells the truth as it is, not some bogus version of truth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gottriplets View Post
I have to say that Professor Sinistra will just be one of those teachers that we will not learn much about.
But the fact that the final battle in HBP happened on the Astromony Tower, Sinistra's home, might be of some significance. Many readers have noted the parallel between the tower battle and and tarot card "The Tower," since the battle mimics the events on the card and the chapter title is "The Lightnigh Struck Tower" (on the tarot card the tower is being hit by lightning). The tower usually represents illusions, the lightning that strikes it a sudden flash of truth, and the people who fall from the tower are those who have their assumptions and illusions destroyed.

Here is one interpretation of the card
Quote:
Notice that the top of The Tower has a window but no door. Perhaps those two people were not comfortable in their tower, but were trapped in their own tower? ... The transition from self-delusion to dis-illusion may be uncomfortable, shocking, painful, or even life-threatening. But ultimately it leads to freedom
So when the Tower is destroyed, the people within are released and the truth is revealed. And in HP who is the person in the Tower? Sinistra. My guess is Sinistra will be able to tell Harry much of the truth that has eluded him so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiah View Post
I like this theory. Are there any passages that describe what she looks like?
Thank you! There is actually no description of Sinistra in the books, which is kind of strange. The reason I made the link between Snape and Sinistra is Snape is always described as vampirish (although JKR says she doesn't think Snape has anything to do with Vampires) and Sinistra is never seen during the day and teaches a nocturnal subject (astronomy) which could be clues that she is at least part Vampire.


__________________

Favorie quotes - "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance" - Ophelia, Hamlet, Shakespeare "Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister." ~ Katherine Mansfield "A serpent signifies a king because of its strength." - Artemidorus, Oneirocritica "They called me the hyacinth girl.'" - T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land, as narrated by Tiresias "I have been a multitude of shapes, Before I assumed a consistent form." - Taliesin.
  #50  
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Sinistra255  Undisclosed.gif Sinistra255 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4151 days
Posts: 21
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Astronomy class is sometimes mentioned when Harry and Ron are doing homework. They mention Europa being covered in ice, not mice after Hermione corrects Ron. Also, I don't think Professor Sinistra was proctoring the astronomy O.W.L. The astronomy tower plays more of a role, being the site of the showdown between Draco and Dumbledore.



Last edited by Pegasus; July 25th, 2007 at 6:24 pm. Reason: spoiler
  #51  
Old July 26th, 2007, 2:11 am
danno  Male.gif danno is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4689 days
Location: Rhode Island
Age: 27
Posts: 246
Re: Secret Sinistra?

I've always thought about her too. She is Harry's only teacher who has never really done anything, and her name makes me think there's something bad about her...


  #52  
Old July 28th, 2007, 6:03 am
zax91  Male.gif zax91 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4849 days
Location: The Kitchens of Hogwarts
Age: 27
Posts: 41
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Yeah it's really funny because the books never talk about Harry, Ron, or Hermione ever going to that class. They just talk about them having their O.W.L. in The Order of the Phoenix. I thought that was a bit weird.


__________________
Limit of 4 smile icons
  #53  
Old July 29th, 2007, 2:39 am
katishere's Avatar
katishere  Female.gif katishere is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4346 days
Location: El Dorado
Posts: 308
Re: Secret Sinistra?

In the movies they have used the same actress in every movie to play SInistra and she's been pretty much in every one.....interesting.


__________________
  #54  
Old July 29th, 2007, 3:13 pm
teardrops17  Male.gif teardrops17 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4518 days
Location: Philippines; United Kingdom
Age: 29
Posts: 205
Re: Secret Sinistra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTimexTurnerx View Post
I have been wondering for a while about the little spoken about astronomy teacher- Professor Sinistra.
1. She is rarely mentioned in six of the books so far.
2. The only astronomy class ever described is the one in book five, where people go to attack Hagrid, during their OWLS.
3. Sinestra sounds very much like sinister.
4. What is her personality like? Would she ever join the Death Eaters?
5. Will we ever see her again in the Deathly Hallows?
What do you think?
I made a topic about her in the last year and they deleted it... why did yours manage to retain?

anyway congrats... this is the idea i love most...

1. She is rarely mentioned; can be significant to make her character a Checkov's gun that needs firing, can be only a red herring, can be insignificant at all...

2. It's exams by the way, not a class. She wasn't even there. Anyway, her first appearance as far as I can recall was when Justin was petrified by the basilisk in COS. SInce then, she's only mentioned just to fill some gaps in sentences...

3. It's where JK got her name. but it could also mean 'left'... You mean sinister? 'Dark'? yeah maybe because, we can't unfog her character in the dark which made her mysterious...

4. Since she's rarely mentioned as you say in Q1, we cannot actually deduce if she's in the right side or the other side...

5. I don't think so; maybe if Hogwarts re-open...




Astronomy tower played roles in SS, OOTP, and HBP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katishere View Post
In the movies they have used the same actress in every movie to play SInistra and she's been pretty much in every one.....interesting.
I can't recall her in any movie... she's not in OOTP and POA... she wasn't supposed to be in SS/PS

that leaves us COS/ GOF...

In GOF, the one dancing with Karkaroff in the Yule Ball, can be assumed as Sinistra, BUT the one in COS is actuall Irma Pince... the librarian... she is seen in the great hall with snape in the table... but you can say it's Pince since she's also in the library the day Hermione researched for the Polyjuice Potion...


__________________
A bitter me: desperate for the Tom Riddle role in HBP movie...
It's the unknown we fear, when looking at death and darkness...
...NOTHING MORE -Albus Dumbledore (The Cave - HBP)
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:06 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright İ MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright İ its respective owners.