Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Old April 13th, 2007, 7:29 am
MODLY CREW

Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Welcome to the third instalment!

Opening post of version one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe
http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/default.asp?sec=4

I imagine since these blurbs have been released by official channels, they don't count as spoilers, but I'll hide the text just in case.

Things that jump out at me:

Spoiler: show

- Is that Kreacher holding Gryffindor's sword? Perhaps Dobby, since he seems to lack hair. Could the sword be a Horcurx after all? Are the other items in the "treasure" Horcruxes?
- No mention of Ron and Hermione being at Privet Drive with Harry - not that this means they aren't, of course.
- The Order seem to be keeping a close eye on Harry's movements, which could make things difficult for him.
- Harry's feeling of loneliness and isolation is emphasised again. Is he going to try to leave behind Ron and Hermione, as well as Ginny and the Weasleys, when he leaves The Burrow? Looks like the opening of this book is going to be pretty angsty.
- The prominence of Harry's Patronus.
- Hogwarts is there - could Harry be going back at some point?
- The circle inside the triangle, at the top of the children's jacket.

Edit: Not quite as much of interest in the Scholastic art, apart from the possible location of the final battle ... which I don't recognise at all:

http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotte...lows/index.htm
version two

Last posts of version two:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensievepeter View Post
Has anyone noticed the fact that the figures in the background of the arena (whoever they are) (US version) are not interfereing with Harry and Voldemort, they are just watching. Kinda of strange, considering that it's the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort.

Could they be battling in the afterlife, after they both have died, and it's the other departed souls looking upon them in the Deathly Hallows. Or (wild theory), could it be that other wizards find out the full contents of the prophecy and know that they can't interfere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitia pickleweed View Post
That was my first thought, too, especially with the ragged curtains and the broken stone and wood....

It looks like a Roman arena.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFruitJuice View Post
I'm pretty sure the curtains don't actually have to do with anything. I think it's just some drama on the artist's part. There are similar curtains on the American cover of Sorcerer's Stone - so the curtains are probably just opening/closing the story.

I mean, I guess you could say the curtains are the veil, but that would make Book 1 pretty confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig50 View Post
Quote by: Pensievepeter,

I thought the same thing. The figures in the back ground just seem to be watching, not interfering at all. The way Harrys and Voldemorts hands are shown show me that Voldemort seems to be retreating, as if backing away from something from above, while Harry, with a strong and confident look on his face seems to be steading himself with one hand on the rock and reaching out or lifting something with the other hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culte Ventosus View Post
Children's cover...Below Hermione's hands is a plate of gold. Below that is what seems to me a mail (armor) glove...
Interested in other opinions on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizKing View Post
But still, the two are dueling with out wands????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig50 View Post
I just read in another thread an interesting thought.

If they are behind the vail, Voldemort is dead if the horcruxes are destroyed, and if not his body would be destroyed again. Maybe Deathly Hollows is elsewhere.

Please continue!

No spoilers allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:12 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 7:42 am
Seventh Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDsHouseElf View Post
I've been re-reading the first two books, and some of the somewhat minor details seem more important now that I know what the book 7 cover art is. For example, in the first book there are at least 4 times in the first 2 chapters where it's mentioned that dragons safeguard the high-security vaults at Gringotts. Could that be what burned Harry's sleeve on the UK cover? Then, in book 2, it's said that Bill works at the Gringotts branch in Egypt. So now it makes sense why they are wearing Egyptian tunics and appears to be in a Gringotts vault on the UK cover... because maybe they are at the Egyptian Gringotts location where Bill works!!
I don`t think so. Bill is no longer working in Ecypt, since the beginning of HBP he is working for the order and therefore he now has a desk job at Gringotts in London. If the picture shows a fault at Gringotts, than it is located in London.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:00 am
Fourth Year

I've seen arguments for and against the idea of the American cover scene being "Behind the Veil". There are quite a few people who have posted that they believe the curtains on the cover are actually just an artistic touch by the artist, a way of showing the end of the story, the closing act. For evidence, they point to book one which also contains a curtain, which to them would represent the artistic "opening act" of the story. While I like this idea, as the story has meant so much to us and spanned ten years, I couldn't find an American cover by Mary GrandPre that has more than one curtain. The two different covers I found that have a curtain on them show one curtain, pulled back and tied and each seem to be part of the scene or the book. In one, there seems to be a child behind it in a nightdress holding a candle (which I think points to the curtain being the one around his bed) and the other cover again has one curtain pulled back and tied, only this time it does appear a little out of place with the scene depicted (arches with the hogwarts grounds behind it with a wizard and an owl). I think this curtain is merely representing the bed curtains also as the description certainly fits. While the second cover could be seen as an artistic touch, unrelated to the story, that idea usually involves a scene taking place between two curtains tied back reminding us of a stage, which doesn't appear on that cover. Now, maybe I have only seen two covers and there are more out that were done by Mary that I haven't seen. But the only two covers I've found don't involve the same format as the book 7 cover does. To me, since it's done by the same artist, I don't think the idea of an "opening act" from the book one cover and a "closing act" from the book seven cover makes sense.

Old April 13th, 2007, 11:00 am
Third Year

Here's some meanings i discovered for the symbol on the U.K. cover.

Quote:
The triangle represent the union of body, mind, and spirit, the circle stands for the Divine. In ceremonial magick the spirit summoned by the magician is contained within this symbol. Thus this symbol is one of protection and power.

Mcgonagall:Do you think it will work Severus?
Snape: Of course it will....The WB muggles will think this necklace is worth millions of dollars and they will grab it, Then the spell i casted will work and they will all turn into........
Mcgonagall:A bunch of babbling, bumbling band of baboons!....Now Hurry up and package it already!...Serves them right!.
Old April 13th, 2007, 2:30 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
I've seen arguments for and against the idea of the American cover scene being "Behind the Veil". There are quite a few people who have posted that they believe the curtains on the cover are actually just an artistic touch by the artist, a way of showing the end of the story, the closing act. For evidence, they point to book one which also contains a curtain, which to them would represent the artistic "opening act" of the story. While I like this idea, as the story has meant so much to us and spanned ten years, I couldn't find an American cover by Mary GrandPre that has more than one curtain. The two different covers I found that have a curtain on them show one curtain, pulled back and tied and each seem to be part of the scene or the book. In one, there seems to be a child behind it in a nightdress holding a candle (which I think points to the curtain being the one around his bed) and the other cover again has one curtain pulled back and tied, only this time it does appear a little out of place with the scene depicted (arches with the hogwarts grounds behind it with a wizard and an owl). I think this curtain is merely representing the bed curtains also as the description certainly fits. While the second cover could be seen as an artistic touch, unrelated to the story, that idea usually involves a scene taking place between two curtains tied back reminding us of a stage, which doesn't appear on that cover. Now, maybe I have only seen two covers and there are more out that were done by Mary that I haven't seen. But the only two covers I've found don't involve the same format as the book 7 cover does. To me, since it's done by the same artist, I don't think the idea of an "opening act" from the book one cover and a "closing act" from the book seven cover makes sense.

woah woah woah woah
hold on
you lost me when you said " i couldnt find a cover by mary grandpre that has more than one curtain"
im assuming you live somewhere that doesnt have the american editions correct?
well then, the "two different covers" you are refering to, are the front and back flaps of book 1
im trying to look for images of the flaps but i cant seem to find it
anyways ill keep looking

now you said that since the same artist does all the american covers, that it doesnt make sense to you that there would be "opening" and "closing" act curtains
however to me, it makes perfect sense, it would be kinda like finishing the covers off the way she started them
to me, it doesnt make sense that different artist would put the curtains on there
now im not saying that they def are opening and closing act curtains
but i do think it makes a lot of sense

Old April 13th, 2007, 3:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think it makes sense, too.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 13th, 2007, 3:53 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbleISdead View Post
woah woah woah woah
however to me, it makes perfect sense, it would be kinda like finishing the covers off the way she started them
to me, it doesnt make sense that different artist would put the curtains on there
now im not saying that they def are opening and closing act curtains
but i do think it makes a lot of sense
I personally like the idea of the curtains on PS and DH representing the 'opening' and 'closing' of the story. From the looks of it they (the curtains on the US DH cover) donīt seem to be part of the scenery with LV and Harry. And they look very different from how the curtain in the archway in the Room of Death was described. The latter was more a veil than a curtain. It was black and it was in once piece.

Anyway, I still like the idea of them being in the Room of Love at the MoM. That would be the appropriate place for a final confrontation (assuming thatīs what we see on the cover), seeing as JRK has put so much emphasis on the Power of Love throughout the books.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old April 13th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
Anyway, I still like the idea of them being in the Room of Love at the MoM. That would be the appropriate place for a final confrontation (assuming thatīs what we see on the cover), seeing as JRK has put so much emphasis on the Power of Love throughout the books.
But would Voldy be able to enter without being hurt in some way one he entered the room? To me, looking at the american cover, he seems to have entered okay, but is now covering his face for other reasons.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old April 13th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
I personally like the idea of the curtains on PS and DH representing the 'opening' and 'closing' of the story. From the looks of it they (the curtains on the US DH cover) donīt seem to be part of the scenery with LV and Harry. And they look very different from how the curtain in the archway in the Room of Death was described. The latter was more a veil than a curtain. It was black and it was in once piece.
I agree, I really don't think the curtains are the veil. The only thing that bothers me about them signifying the closing of the story is the fact that they are tattered at the bottom.

Old April 13th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw82 View Post
I agree, I really don't think the curtains are the veil. The only thing that bothers me about them signifying the closing of the story is the fact that they are tattered at the bottom.

That’s a good point.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 13th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Third Year

I think that we could do more progeess here in finding what the courtains are if we took a minute to discuss that place that the courtains are in. I know it has been discussed in the other versions of this thread.

I think that if the place Harry and Voldemort are in, is in the Department of Mysteries, than it would make sense for the place to have some courtains in it. I have to dissagree with the people that say that the courtains belong to the "veil". The veil was only "one" courtain, that hung down, not two courtains at each side.

Old April 13th, 2007, 6:07 pm
Second Year

Could the tattered curtains be sybolizing that this has been a long story with much conflict seen on the stage? I also wonder if the arches on both the 1st and last covers might not be part of the "theater"?

Just some probing questions!

Mercer
Elf of Old

Old April 13th, 2007, 6:21 pm
Third Year

I don't really care about the cover, yes, it does give us clues as to what will happen, but all I'm really worried about is just getting my hands on the book and reading it.

Old April 13th, 2007, 7:04 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
Could the tattered curtains be sybolizing that this has been a long story with much conflict seen on the stage? I also wonder if the arches on both the 1st and last covers might not be part of the "theater"?
Wow, that's a good point. Hadn't thought about it like that

Old April 13th, 2007, 7:56 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina
Yes, I agree. It's a nice way to bookend the books (no pun intended) and the cover art. The curtains do seem quite unattached to the scene as a whole.

I'm still puzzled about the snake in the crystal ball on the UK children's edition cover art. The obvious answer is that the snake is Nagini, but what is she doing inside a crystal ball? Perhaps Harry uses Divination, his long-term academic fiend, to aid him in his hunt for the Horcruxes. (Or maybe he de-Horcruxifies Nagini by freezing her in an ice globe. )

Old April 13th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett View Post
I don`t think so. Bill is no longer working in Ecypt, since the beginning of HBP he is working for the order and therefore he now has a desk job at Gringotts in London. If the picture shows a fault at Gringotts, than it is located in London.
Good point that Bill works for Gringotts! Perhaps he will give the trio some insider tips to break into a vault and steal a Horcrux!

Old April 13th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbleISdead View Post
woah woah woah woah
hold on
you lost me when you said " i couldnt find a cover by mary grandpre that has more than one curtain"
im assuming you live somewhere that doesnt have the american editions correct?
well then, the "two different covers" you are refering to, are the front and back flaps of book 1
im trying to look for images of the flaps but i cant seem to find it
anyways ill keep looking
If LaDonna has only seen the US paperback version of SS/PS, then I can understand the confusion.

The paperback has only the front cover and front flap on it. The Hardcover front flap is the back cover of the paperback. The back cover and the back cover flap are not shown at all. The back cover flap contains the other half of the curtain, even though they don't match. The back cover flap curtain has stars and is also tied back.

Old April 13th, 2007, 11:23 pm
Third Year

Okay, now I've re-examined the covers more closely. "J.K. Rowling unveils in spectacular fashion the answers to the many questions that have been so eagerly awaited"? I strongly believe that the curtains on the US cover represent the closing of the book but what's with this play on words? JK had to know that "unveils" would get a strong response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSphynx View Post
Yes, I agree. It's a nice way to bookend the books (no pun intended) and the cover art. The curtains do seem quite unattached to the scene as a whole.

I'm still puzzled about the snake in the crystal ball on the UK children's edition cover art. The obvious answer is that the snake is Nagini, but what is she doing inside a crystal ball? Perhaps Harry uses Divination, his long-term academic fiend, to aid him in his hunt for the Horcruxes. (Or maybe he de-Horcruxifies Nagini by freezing her in an ice globe. )
Now that I've looked at the art more closely I definitely see how you can draw this conclusion with Nagini entwined in the ball. I don't know if Harry will be able to open his mind enough to achieve Divination, but I wonder if Trelawney will help him. She obviously has a gift deep inside her, so I wonder if she will change again and tell Harry where Nagini is.

And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"

Alice in Wonderland

Old April 13th, 2007, 11:41 pm
Third Year

Another thing I noticed with the US cover is the similarity of the "arena" to Stonehenge. Could their be a correlation?

Quote:
But still, the two are dueling with out wands????????????
Maybe their using the Force.

On a more serious note, I think Harry might be using the "force" in the locked room in the Department of Mysteries, the one Dumbledore referenced at the end of OotP. I think this theory ties up a lot of loose ends.

A) It would explain why Voldemort seems to be sheilding himself and trying to cower away in a corner. After all, Voldemort could not bear to be in the presence of that "force" without being in pain, as we saw when he tried to possess Harry.

B) It would explain the cloth and the figures in the background. The room the veil was in had all those seats in them, possibly to seat the figures we see in the cover, which are from "another dimension" (for lack of a non sci-fi term).

C) It would tie in Trawleney's prophecy, about "having power the Dark Lord knows not."

Old April 14th, 2007, 12:05 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensievepeter View Post
A) It would explain why Voldemort seems to be sheilding himself and trying to cower away in a corner. After all, Voldemort could not bear to be in the presence of that "force" without being in pain, as we saw when he tried to possess Harry.
But if this is the case, then why is he only doing it then. If the power of love is as powerful as everyone makes it out to be, then why isn't he near the place where he entered?

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies