Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Old April 14th, 2007, 5:57 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

I find it so interesting, since this is the first time we're seeing LV on a cover by Mary Grand Pre, that she depicts LV's hand almost the same way she does a dementors hand on the PoA cover. Same wispy fingers, same gray color. It makes sense, he's pretty much as soul-less as they are, but still didn't expect them to be drawn alike.

I also find it interesting, that along with the curtains being on both book 1 & 7 there is also that similar colonade - arches and columns - on both book 1 & 7. If the colonade in book one represents an outdoors space in Hogwarts - where Harry is flying to catch the Snitch, then (as I've seen speculated here) could the curtains/colonade/orange & red sky depicted in cover 7 be an outdoors space? For some reason I assumed it was an indoors space, I guess because I related it to the veil in the DoM, but now I'm thinking outdoors. Something to think about anyway.

Last edited by HMN; April 14th, 2007 at 6:04 am.
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2007, 3:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensievepeter View Post
Another thing I noticed with the US cover is the similarity of the "arena" to Stonehenge. Could their be a correlation?
Hmm, I don't think it looks much like Stonehenge at all.

Old April 14th, 2007, 4:18 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw82 View Post
Hmm, I don't think it looks much like Stonehenge at all.
yea, stonehenge is made up of several differnt oddly shapped boulders in a circle
not arches

Old April 14th, 2007, 4:53 pm
First Year

It has been mentioned that the repeated presence of curtains on the covers could signify a bed of some sort. So I took another look at the covers and realized that there's a good chance that these scenes that are being depicted could very well be a dream (or if you will, a daydream of sorts).

There's a few reasons that bring this idea to mind. One is the repetition of dreams throughout the plot lines of the books. Another (and more pertinent to the discussion here) is the way that Voldemort is almost "coming out of the shadows" on the U.S. cover. With the presence of so many people in the background, don't you think that someone would be coming to Harry's aid if this were something that was real? I can't believe that Voldemort would tell the Death Eaters to sit idly by once again, not after the fiasco in the graveyard, and if they were allies of Harry's they wouldn't just let it happen. Also, if you combine this with the back of the U.K Childrens edition, which has a view of Hogwarts at night, yes at night (by the way, did anyone else notice the full moon?), you end up with something that happens at night in a place that can't be real which is lit by a rather otherworldly glow.

I'm pretty sure that this is another of Harry's "dreams."

Old April 14th, 2007, 5:03 pm
First Year

Not sure if this has been mentioned but it looks like almost like a theatre, like the ones ancient greece used to have...

Old April 14th, 2007, 7:25 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneKira View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned but it looks like almost like a theatre, like the ones ancient greece used to have...
Yea..I'm from Greece and the first time i saw the cover i thought about being greek theatre. But i really don't know how this will fit with LV and Harry. Why they are in greek theatre? I was thinking that maybe there is something we do not know about why LV went to hide to Albania, which border with Greece. Oh gosh, i would really liked the last scene to be in Greece.

Old April 14th, 2007, 7:27 pm
First Year

The curtains at the side, led me to speculate that it had a mix of newage theatres too and the curtains that comedown to end a show. It's almost like a play, the cover, and the ppl in the back re the audience.

Old April 14th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well, I wonder about the robes on the UK cover. It distintly looks as if Ron is wearing Slytherin colors and Hermione is wearing Ravenclaw colors. Could this have been part of some spell or ritual involving interhouse unity?

Old April 14th, 2007, 8:33 pm
First Year

So, I got a weird theory that could perhaps work. To me, it seems that in the US version they are definately on the "other" side of the veil, there should be a reason that they crossed that veil. So i was thinking of reasons that would drive them across and what if LV hid a horcrux on the other side of the veil, which he could do cuz if he already had one horcrux, then crossing the veil wouldn't kill him. Now if harry had to destroy the last horcrux, which unfortunately is on the other side, then he would be compelled to cross the veil. And if LV had learned of Harry's quest to destroy his horcruxes, then he would pursue Harry through the veil in an attempt to thwart his quest. Thus the massive and final catacalysmic battle will fold out, beyond the veil. Unfortunately, if this is true, then I think Harry is doomed and will not be able to cross back over through the veil back to our side. This would be Harry's death. However, I think Harry will know that crossing through the veil, he would never be able to cross back and would choose to save everyone and rid the world of LV, thus giving up his life.
sad theory, cool, theory, but I think it works.

Old April 14th, 2007, 9:45 pm
First Year

What about the amulet that Harry is wearing and that is the focus of the UK version?

I think that is the necklace that is mentioned in OOTP, located in Sirius' house. I always thought that might be a Horcrux, even one that had been stolen by Regulus Black. Perhaps it now has some power that Harry can use?

Old April 14th, 2007, 10:00 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbleISdead View Post
stonehenge is made up of several differnt oddly shapped boulders in a circle
not arches
Well, Stonehenge does have something similar to arches; it has trilithons, which consist of two, plain, roughly-hewn pillars topped with another thick, flat stone, so that the trilithon looks like a door frame. And some of the trilithons are arranged in a continuous curved line. But a trilithon doesn't have a curved arch.

The idea of a Greek theater is not bad, and the Roman arena was descended from it. I think the heavy stone arches behind the seats look more Roman. Greek architecture has a lighter feeling, usually, and I don't recall purely Greek theaters having anything constructed behind the audience seats. They were usually built into a natural hillside.

There is a late Greek (Hellenistic) theater in Sicily that the Romans reworked that has a striking similarity to the Book 7 cover art, I think. Views are here http://www.travelphoto.net/a-photo-a...greek-theatre/ and here http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/co...o/turismo.html.

By the way: a remote chance Harry could be reaching up for...Hedwig?

Last edited by fruitia pickleweed; April 14th, 2007 at 10:41 pm.
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:25 pm
First Year

Hi there, I suddenly thought of Bill Weasley and went into this thread and expectedly everyone has already thought of him. He would be a good ally, to go Horcrux hunting would be like treasure hunting.

Well, Voldemort must know how to manipulate Gringotts since he had told Quirrell how to do that in Book 1. So I think that's also in line with the one-book-one-horcrux-hint idea, if this picture proves to be a very important plot in the book.

I'm guessing he placed his cup in Gringgotts or one of the places Gringgotts got its gold from and protected it with curses, coz that will make him feel like a king, or a pharaoh. In line with his I'm the king of the world megalomaniacal tendencies. However, I think he did this after he felt betrayed by Lucius, i.e. maybe he got the horcrux back from Bellatrix. Otherwise, he could have asked Quirrell to hide the Horcrux all the way back in Book 1 though at that time, the diary is not destroyed and so he may not have worried enough to warrant a change of location for his horcrux.

Old April 15th, 2007, 2:45 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
If LaDonna has only seen the US paperback version of SS/PS, then I can understand the confusion.

The paperback has only the front cover and front flap on it. The Hardcover front flap is the back cover of the paperback. The back cover and the back cover flap are not shown at all. The back cover flap contains the other half of the curtain, even though they don't match. The back cover flap curtain has stars and is also tied back.
You're right! I hadn't seen the inside cover flaps of the hardback version of book 1, and I finally found a picture of it online after searching awhile for it. And while I no longer feel that those curtains are merely bed curtains (except the one that has the child in the nightgown with the candle), I still think how the curtains look on book one and book seven are different enough to keep me from believing in the opening/closing act of a story. On the book seven cover the curtains are the same, a set if you will, both tied back and in the same condition. In the book one cover, the curtain on one flap is a pale green with yellowish color swirls on it, and the other flap has a red curtain with white stars on it. I also think that sometime in the nine to ten years since book one has been out, that theory would have been posed to Mary or she would have mentioned it on her own. Also, why didn't Levine mention it or even hint at it when he spoke of the book seven cover? He did tell us it was a wrap-around cover and all one scene. While I can see the theater idea as a valid theory (the curtains, the scene looking sort of like a stage, what could be an "audience" in the background, etc.), it's just not a theory I think or hope turns out to be true. I really think someone from scholastic or even Mary herself would have hinted or said something. Plus, if the curtains are really a part of what's happening on the book seven cover, that interests me, as we have already come up with so many theories on what context those curtains and that room may have in the story! And as someone already said, if the opening/closing curtains proves to be true, it may be a bad sign for Harry that the book seven curtains are tattered at the bottom

Old April 15th, 2007, 3:02 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarProphet View Post
So, I got a weird theory that could perhaps work. To me, it seems that in the US version they are definately on the "other" side of the veil, there should be a reason that they crossed that veil. So i was thinking of reasons that would drive them across and what if LV hid a horcrux on the other side of the veil, which he could do cuz if he already had one horcrux, then crossing the veil wouldn't kill him. Now if harry had to destroy the last horcrux, which unfortunately is on the other side, then he would be compelled to cross the veil. And if LV had learned of Harry's quest to destroy his horcruxes, then he would pursue Harry through the veil in an attempt to thwart his quest. Thus the massive and final catacalysmic battle will fold out, beyond the veil. Unfortunately, if this is true, then I think Harry is doomed and will not be able to cross back over through the veil back to our side. This would be Harry's death. However, I think Harry will know that crossing through the veil, he would never be able to cross back and would choose to save everyone and rid the world of LV, thus giving up his life.
Yeah, I agree with you. I definitely think that's a possibility. I've always thought Harry would have to go beyond the veil (and therefore die) for some reason, and since the cover was released, I'm almost convinced that he (and Voldemort) will.

Old April 15th, 2007, 3:38 am
First Year

Hi, i'm new here! I didn't read all the hundreds of posts before this, but this is so exciting, so i thought i would say something, even if it has been said before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarProphet View Post
That is a very possible theory, though i think Harry will find a way to get back to the other side. I was thinking that after he defeated Voldermort, Harry would be met by Sirius, and possibly harry's whole family as they are all dead and Harry is presumably in the afterlife when he passed through the veil (the people in the background could be people from the afterlife).
Then Harry would be so Happy to finally see all of his family and friends again. He'll want to stay with them and be happy, but they say he can't, and that he has to go back and live a life, and that eventually they will be together, but not now. Harry want's to stay, but he turns back, and finds away back through the veil.

Also, i think when they went throught the veil, they had to lose their wands for some reason. Or maybe, since their wands are not compatible to duel with each other (just look what happened in gof), they simply threw them away and contiuued fighting on some other medium.

I was also fascinated by the idea that Harry and Voldemort were doing something together to accomplish the same goal in the US version. I think only something truely lifethreatening (doesn't really mean much, seeing as they could possibly be in the afterlife, though) to both would force them to work together. So maybe they were trying to stop something from crushing both of them, or maybe they were trying to fix the viel thing to get back, i don't know.

When i saw the UK cover, I was under the impression that the trio were being pushed out, instead of sucked in. I think this is the case because there are jewly scattered high into the air, as if they bounced out. Also, Harry seems to be looking "ahead" not "backwards" if you see what i mean. If he was being sucked in, he wouldn't be looking like he is, fixed on something we cannot see. His eyes seem to be targeting something "ahead" of him. In addition, if you look at the way their air is moving, it looks like its being blown out of the vault thing, as if the vault thing were pushing them out with a lot of force and wind.

Old April 15th, 2007, 4:09 am
First Year

Shadowed people in background

Looks like there are people in the background, shadowed and watching the duel.

I dont think the curtains are the veil from the dias archway. The cover is an open arena, the dias room was dim lit and rectangular and was compared to the dungeon room that harry had has wizengamet trial.

Allthough, sense i bring it up. An interesting note about that dias... it seemed that only hermione was not entranced by the dias... and shes the only one purley muggle born. *shrug* just a thought.

Old April 15th, 2007, 4:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I was thinking perhaps it was beyond the veil, not in the dais.

And Hermione was not the only one who was not entranced by the veil; Ron appeared perfectly alert as well.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 15th, 2007, 4:32 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
I was thinking perhaps it was beyond the veil, not in the dais.

And Hermione was not the only one who was not entranced by the veil; Ron appeared perfectly alert as well.
I dont remember it saying anything about ron other than hermione took hold of rons arm, jinny, nevels and walked away.

I spose, though, it could be behind the veil, that room seemed like an execution room though, not a portal to another world.

Old April 15th, 2007, 4:38 am
First Year

I don't think the curtains in the US version have anything to do with them being in a dream or acting or anything. I think it's just Mary Grand Pre's brillliance because the only other time we see curtains is on the first book, so that was like the opening. And now the curtains reapeared because it's the end. It's like the play is ending and the curtains are being drawn. If my theory is true, she has probably been planning it since book 1.

Old April 15th, 2007, 7:38 am
First Year

I strongly agree the curtains are symbols of the beginning and end. They are tattered on 7 because they, like Harry, have been through a lot but "hung in there".

I too thought of bed curtains when I studied book 1's cover. Does any one else remember Dumbledore making a comment that he never liked those curtains. Can't think of where or why he said it and don't remember him ever being at Harry's bedside except in the hospital. I want to reread that part and can't find it. Dunno, maybe I dreamed it.

I think Harry and Luna will travel through the veil and back but it will be after LV is destroyed and nothing to do with the final battle. Harry will do it to speak with Sirius and Luna just because she's Luna. Harry will get closure about Sirius but Sirius won't come back with him.

The final battle will be at Godrics Hollow at the site of the Potter home thus the charred wood in the foreground.

I keep wanting to connect the scenes on the British and American versions but don't see how other than just being scenes from separate chapters of the same book.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies