Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Old April 15th, 2007, 6:42 am
First Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmom View Post
I strongly agree the curtains are symbols of the beginning and end. They are tattered on 7 because they, like Harry, have been through a lot but "hung in there".

I too thought of bed curtains when I studied book 1's cover. Does any one else remember Dumbledore making a comment that he never liked those curtains. Can't think of where or why he said it and don't remember him ever being at Harry's bedside except in the hospital. I want to reread that part and can't find it. Dunno, maybe I dreamed it.

I think Harry and Luna will travel through the veil and back but it will be after LV is destroyed and nothing to do with the final battle. Harry will do it to speak with Sirius and Luna just because she's Luna. Harry will get closure about Sirius but Sirius won't come back with him.

The final battle will be at Godrics Hollow at the site of the Potter home thus the charred wood in the foreground.

I keep wanting to connect the scenes on the British and American versions but don't see how other than just being scenes from separate chapters of the same book.

Dumbledore mentions the curtains at the end of GoF and how he burned them down by accident.

The stone arch on the British version is very similar, at least to me, to the stones of the arena or building on the American version... I think... Maybe.

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:29 am
Fourth Year

Does anyone have any links on Mary interviews? If she's been planning to have the opening/closing curtains since book one, perhaps she's mentioned it or hinted at it and we didn't really catch on before the seventh cover was released. It just seems to me that if this was the case, Mary or Levine would have mentioned it at some point.
Edit: I just looked on a website for Communications Arts Article about Mary (the link is www.marygrandpre.com/caarticle.html) and found this quote: "Then two years ago she received a call from an art director at Scholastic. Would she be interested in working on a book cover and some inside black-and-white illustrations for a book previously published in Britain about a boy named Harry Potter? "It sounded like a nice job, so I said 'sure.' I presented three cover sketches, they chose one, and I was pretty happy with everything. They were great to work with, and I think I remember them saying there might be more. At the time, it just seemed like another job.”
A few months later, the art director called again. The first book was doing very well. The author was most pleased with the illustrations. Was she interested in doing another? That job went smoothly and was followed quickly by a third installment."
While I still can't be positive, I think this quote clearly indicates that a plan to do opening and closing curtains for the Harry Potter series was not set at the beginning. While she may have decided later on to do the last book with curtains to tie in with the first, it was not a plan she had at the very beginning. And that makes me think even more that the curtains are not an artistic statement by GrandPre signifying the beginning and end of the series.

Last edited by LaDonna; April 15th, 2007 at 10:58 am.
Old April 15th, 2007, 1:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmom View Post

I too thought of bed curtains when I studied book 1's cover. Does any one else remember Dumbledore making a comment that he never liked those curtains. Can't think of where or why he said it and don't remember him ever being at Harry's bedside except in the hospital. I want to reread that part and can't find it. Dunno, maybe I dreamed it.
RustyGoBlue was right it was from GOF, but it was only in the movie.

It was not written by Jo, that why you can't find it. Stop looking!!

Old April 15th, 2007, 3:28 pm
First Year

Thanks all, I hate it when I get movie - book confusion!

Old April 15th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Well, I wonder about the robes on the UK cover. It distintly looks as if Ron is wearing Slytherin colors and Hermione is wearing Ravenclaw colors. Could this have been part of some spell or ritual involving interhouse unity?
Then is Harry in Hufflepuff and Dobby/Kreatcher/Goblin in Gryiffindor (with the sword)?

Old April 15th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
Does anyone have any links on Mary interviews? If she's been planning to have the opening/closing curtains since book one, perhaps she's mentioned it or hinted at it and we didn't really catch on before the seventh cover was released. It just seems to me that if this was the case, Mary or Levine would have mentioned it at some point.
Edit: I just looked on a website for Communications Arts Article about Mary (the link is www.marygrandpre.com/caarticle.html) and found this quote: "Then two years ago she received a call from an art director at Scholastic. Would she be interested in working on a book cover and some inside black-and-white illustrations for a book previously published in Britain about a boy named Harry Potter? "It sounded like a nice job, so I said 'sure.' I presented three cover sketches, they chose one, and I was pretty happy with everything. They were great to work with, and I think I remember them saying there might be more. At the time, it just seemed like another job.
A few months later, the art director called again. The first book was doing very well. The author was most pleased with the illustrations. Was she interested in doing another? That job went smoothly and was followed quickly by a third installment."
While I still can't be positive, I think this quote clearly indicates that a plan to do opening and closing curtains for the Harry Potter series was not set at the beginning. While she may have decided later on to do the last book with curtains to tie in with the first, it was not a plan she had at the very beginning. And that makes me think even more that the curtains are not an artistic statement by GrandPre signifying the beginning and end of the series.

hmm
i would love to see her other sketches for book 1 cover...or any other book cover sketches shes done
anyone know if thats possible?

Old April 15th, 2007, 4:27 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbleISdead View Post
hmm
i would love to see her other sketches for book 1 cover...or any other book cover sketches shes done
anyone know if thats possible?
Have you seen the Deluxe Edition covers for OOP and HBP? OOP is the Advanced Guard arriving at #12 Grimmauld Place and HBP is Dumbledore and Harry (on the back) in the forest (pensieve) watching Bob Ogden approaching the Gault shack (both are wrap arounds). The portion of the HBP cover showing just a part of Dumbledore and Harry is in the "Header" of the HBP skin on this forum.

Otherwise, all we have is "Chapter Art" and "HP Art Calendars". I love the calendars, you get many different scenes she has never put in the books.

Old April 15th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Third Year

I'm sorry that I'm kinda jumping randomly, but has anyone had any ideas what the broken pieces of wood and cracked stone's are all about on the U.S. cover?

They are in such stark contrast with the surroundings, as the "arena" looks intact, and Harry and Voldemort do not seem to have the means of creating the destruction around them (no wands). You could argue wandless magic, but I think that the amount of destruction around them would kinda of be pushing the limit as far as that goes.

And on the subject of the curtains, has anyone noticed that the bottoms of them are torn and frayed with time? (at least in my opinion)

Old April 16th, 2007, 5:10 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0o View Post
I was thinking that after he defeated Voldermort, Harry would be met by Sirius, and possibly harry's whole family as they are all dead and Harry is presumably in the afterlife when he passed through the veil (the people in the background could be people from the afterlife)....

Also, i think when they went throught the veil, they had to lose their wands for some reason. ...

I was also fascinated by the idea that Harry and Voldemort were doing something together to accomplish the same goal in the US version....So maybe they were trying to stop something from crushing both of them...

When i saw the UK cover, I was under the impression that the trio were being pushed out... Harry seems to be looking "ahead"...fixed on something we cannot see. His eyes seem to be targeting something "ahead" of him...
Count me among those who get the definite impression that the US cover art places us on the far side of the veil, and the vague figures may be the dead. (The curtains could well be both actual curtains and symbolic of the series' end.) The setting echoes for whatever reason the circular audience seating of 1) a Quidditch field and 2) the courtroom in the MOM , suggesting it is a place of public contest and decision. (Do they play Quidditch in the afterlife? )

The site on the UK cover seems quite different, something like a treasure vault. But more I look at the two covers, the more they seem to have action in common.

The action I see in the UK cover is Ron and Hermione desperately warding off things that are pelting them, while Harry is concentrating on trying to discern something among these objects and to grab it. It may be a coin, or another small object, perhaps spherical, which would be well camouflaged in the hail of what are apparently coins, perhaps galleons or doubloons. To me, there is an echo here of the "key" task in COS.

On the US cover, what I see is LV warding off something while Harry reaches out to catch it, or to catch something else. The hand positions look superficially similar but the intentions seem different. Again, Harry is concentrating hard on something, not so much to discern it in this case as to "keep his eye on the ball" as it comes his way. What is this? Something he has Accio'd? Hedwig? Fawkes? Even -- remotely -- a snitch?

Last edited by fruitia pickleweed; April 16th, 2007 at 5:14 am.
Old April 16th, 2007, 1:57 pm
Fifth Year

Is this the right place to discuss this? Scholastic released their "There will be 7" ad, and on one of the promotional ads, there's something like the dormitory spiral staircase drawn on there...

why a drawing of the staircase??

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old April 16th, 2007, 2:05 pm
Member of the Order

Could it be the staircase up to Dumbledore's office?

Old April 16th, 2007, 3:20 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
Could it be the staircase up to Dumbledore's office?
It could be, you never know. You can sort of see the doorway, and I think it said once in the books that the doorway to Dumbledore's office has two stone halves which slam shut.. that doorway looks too narrow to have two halves of it shut.

What if it's the staircase to the girl's dorms? The ones that turn into slides if a boy runs up them?

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old April 16th, 2007, 7:39 pm
Third Year

Slytherin's locket on the DH UK adult cover. . . fascinating. To whomever guessed that the item around Harry's neck on the on the US DH children's cover could be Slyterin's locket, good eyes!

Favorie quotes - "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance" - Ophelia, Hamlet, Shakespeare "Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister." ~ Katherine Mansfield "A serpent signifies a king because of its strength." - Artemidorus, Oneirocritica "They called me the hyacinth girl.'" - T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land, as narrated by Tiresias "I have been a multitude of shapes, Before I assumed a consistent form." - Taliesin.
Old April 16th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Seventh Year

Well, we don't actually know that yet, so no-one can be considered right.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old April 16th, 2007, 8:27 pm
First Year

Snake in ball & skeeter in jar

we know how alot of things are symbolic in the books and perhaps are significant to the later stages.

When hermione found out Rita Skeeter was an animagus, she trapped her in a glass jar and was under her control.
I was considering the snake in the glass ball on the inside of the UK cover for DH. Both skeeter and ? were trapped and in glass object. Further more i happen to think the snake is voldemort's soul at the end, near death (voldemort= scaly death)
Now supposing the soul is the snake and indeed the skeeter plot has reflections on this, hermione could be the brain to yet again to trapping the soul in a glass ball, and controlling the last part of him, therefore making him weaker (The thing his loves most is control), turning him into a snake - the last residing part of his soul. At this point the physical vol is dead as the soul that is always there, is removed.

Old April 16th, 2007, 8:43 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Snake in ball & skeeter in jar

or perhaps he gets trapped in a snake body by being an animagus, by possessing Nagini, or by his body transforming as his soul gets destroyed, and he gains his 'immortality' but trapped in a globe. But I think that the US cover strongly suggests that he is going to have an actual death.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old April 16th, 2007, 9:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

It could just be the fake locket he’s wearing. He did keep it, didn’t he?

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 16th, 2007, 9:49 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Re: Snake in ball & skeeter in jar

Go back to the first book. Harry breaks the glass in the zoo, and sets the snake free ... perhaps this time the snake will remain trapped forever.

Old April 16th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Second Year

Yes he kept the locket to remind him what had cause and what he should do from now on, but by then it was in his pocket.

Old April 16th, 2007, 10:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

That’s what I thought, but that doesn’t mean he will never wear it.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies