Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Old April 16th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Member of the Order

Re: Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runes View Post
I think it said once in the books that the doorway to Dumbledore's office has two stone halves which slam shut.. that doorway looks too narrow to have two halves of it shut.
The entrance to Dumbledore's office is concealed in the wall, behind the Griffin. Rather than a door, the wall just opens up.

Old April 16th, 2007, 10:50 pm
Third Year

Re: Snake in ball & skeeter in jar

Good ideas. I didn't think to connect Rita-in-jar to the snake-in-ball on the UK cover. I don't think that it will be as simple to trap it in a ball so that Hermione can do it, but maybe some advanced magic will happen and he'll get caught in there somehow... I can see it happening, yes.

Old April 16th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Second Year

I was thinking about that snake in ball and i had one idea. If LV would be an animagus then the animal he'd choose that would be snake. So the snake in the ball might be him. He would be traped there forever & that would be worse fate than death. And Harry will never use AK to kill him.
Couldn't that happen???

Old April 17th, 2007, 1:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

That’s possible, but there have been so many unregistered animagi before that I’m not sure if it’s getting a bit hackneyed. The maurauders and Rita were enough.

And I’m pretty sure that you don’t choose your animagus form, it’s like a reflection on your personality. I’m sure he would still be a snake, though.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 17th, 2007, 2:01 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiaShadow View Post
Good ideas. I didn't think to connect Rita-in-jar to the snake-in-ball on the UK cover. I don't think that it will be as simple to trap it in a ball so that Hermione can do it, but maybe some advanced magic will happen and he'll get caught in there somehow... I can see it happening, yes.
It's the PokeBall!
They were talking about that on MuggleCast, haha.

On one of the recent podcasts, they were analyzing the children's UK cover...Now I'm not a fan of the first part of the theory, I don't actually think it's what's happening but, here goes:
They thought that the clouds that are on the back may be from the Forbidden Forest on fire.

..That's what I don't think happens, but IF IT DID..

Do you think that the forest being on fire would be motivation for the centaurs to join the war or final battle on Harry's and the good's side? I think it would take a lot for them to join, they "don't care about anything closer than the moon" (Hagrid) and also don't like humans that much...But I think that something that directly affected them would inspire them to join the battle.

Any thoughts? Or am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
It could just be the fake locket hes wearing. He did keep it, didnt he?
If the art on the US cover is the final battle between Voldemort and Harry, it could be either the fake or real one, right?

Assuming it was the final battle, do you think it would be the real one (to show Voldemort that he has destroyed all of his Horcruxes and..to simply torture him) or the fake one (...maybe to torture him even MORE [teehe], or he could be wearing it as homage to Dumbledore)?

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate."
Old April 17th, 2007, 2:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

That’s very possible. Unfortunately the centaurs would not be the only creatures who would be affected if the forest burned down. Perhaps other human-like creatures (if there are any) would be inspired to join as well.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 17th, 2007, 2:13 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneLuvsRon View Post
Do you think that the forest being on fire would be motivation for the centaurs to join the war or final battle on Harry's and the good's side? I think it would take a lot for them to join, they "don't care about anything closer than the moon" (Hagrid) and also don't like humans that much...But I think that something that directly affected them would inspire them to join the battle.

Any thoughts? Or am I crazy?
I think that's a very plausible theory. It would most likely take something of that magnitude to draw them into open conflict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermoineLuvsRon View Post
If the art on the US cover is the final battle between Voldemort and Harry, it could be either the fake or real one, right?

Assuming it was the final battle, do you think it would be the real one (to show Voldemort that he has destroyed all of his Horcruxes and..to simply torture him) or the fake one (...maybe to torture him even MORE [teehe], or he could be wearing it as homage to Dumbledore)?
When you look at the picture, there is no locket. It is what appears to be a brown leather bag with a drawstring-type top, it is not flashy, nor is it metal. There are several theories that have been proposed as to what is in the bag, most of which were presented in v1 and v2 of this thread. Basically, it could be protective, symbolic, or sentimental to Harry.

"Sin wouldn't be so popular if its wages were paid immediately." -Anonymous-

"All gave some. Some gave all. Some are still giving. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!"

~God Bless~
Old April 17th, 2007, 2:14 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Thats very possible. Unfortunately the centaurs would not be the only creatures who would be affected if the forest burned down. Perhaps other human-like creatures (if there are any) would be inspired to join as well.
Yes, I suppose they wouldn't be the only creatures affected. I guess if there were any that weren't so keen to join the humans or the battle they would also be inspired. That's super thinking right there!

I was also wondering if anyone thought if what the locket is sitting on in the UK adult cover might be important? Or is it more of just a background?
I don't think it's that important but you know..you never know.

It kind of looks like a rock or something hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg_0016 View Post
When you look at the picture, there is no locket. It is what appears to be a brown leather bag with a drawstring-type top, it is not flashy, nor is it metal. There are several theories that have been proposed as to what is in the bag, most of which were presented in v1 and v2 of this thread. Basically, it could be protective, symbolic, or sentimental to Harry.
What I meant to say was that the locket was IN the pouch. How could you not see that? So obvious. .

I think I originally thought that it looked like a pouch but somehow I forgot about that..Maybe it does have the locket it in or the ring? I suppose it could have magic dust that..does something..magical.

The ring could be given to him by someone as something of Dumbledore's. Whatever it is, I think it might have something to do with Dumbledore. Besides being something that Dumbledore owned, it would remind Harry of his "impossible task" and motivate him to complete it.

Old April 17th, 2007, 2:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

It is the same shape of the necklace on the adult cover, though. I’m thinking it is the necklace but the shading of the drawing as well as the desire not to make it too prominent is making it less detailed.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 17th, 2007, 2:28 am
First Year

Quote:
What I meant to say was that the locket was IN the pouch. How could you not see that? So obvious. .

I think I originally thought that it looked like a pouch but somehow I forgot about that..Maybe it does have the locket it in or the ring? I suppose it could have magic dust that..does something..magical.

The ring could be given to him by someone as something of Dumbledore's. Whatever it is, I think it might have something to do with Dumbledore. Besides being something that Dumbledore owned, it would remind Harry of his "impossible task" and motivate him to complete it.
Of course, now that you put it like that... I personally liked the ring idea, its about the right size, and would symbolize something of Slytherins that Harry could almost parade over him (not that he would ever taunt Voldemort ). So would the locket, which would also fulfill the fact that Harry had destroyed all the Horcruxes (if that is in fact what happens).

Quote:
It is the same shape of the necklace on the adult cover, though. Im thinking it is the necklace but the shading of the drawing as well as the desire not to make it too prominent is making it less detailed.
Ya, but why pick brown as the color if it is indeed the locket? and look at the top of the pouch when you zoom in, there is a shape that isnt like any locket ive ever seen, where the drawstring goes through.

~God Bless~
Old April 17th, 2007, 2:35 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Of course, now that you put it like that... I personally liked the ring idea, its about the right size, and would symbolize something of Slytherins that Harry could almost parade over him (not that he would ever taunt Voldemort ). So would the locket, which would also fulfill the fact that Harry had destroyed all the Horcruxes (if that is in fact what happens).
Yeah, I sort of came up with that ring idea on the spot. I liked it too. OF COURSE Harry will destory all of the Horcruxes, what else could happen?! Silly!

Quote:
Ya, but why pick brown as the color if it is indeed the locket? and look at the top of the pouch when you zoom in, there is a shape that isnt like any locket ive ever seen, where the drawstring goes through.
Yeah, there is a little triangle/rhombus? shaped thing on top.

Old April 17th, 2007, 2:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

To make it blend in? I dont know, it could be a pouch.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 17th, 2007, 2:55 am
First Year

Quote:
Yeah, I sort of came up with that ring idea on the spot. I liked it too. OF COURSE Harry will destory all of the Horcruxes, what else could happen?! Silly!
Well, Harry could destroy all but one... then someone could kill LV, and Harry could keep the last horcrux under wraps, keeping Lv in a not-alive but not-dead situation that is 'worse than death'...

~God Bless~
Old April 17th, 2007, 3:03 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Well, Harry could destroy all but one... then someone could kill LV, and Harry could keep the last horcrux under wraps, keeping Lv in a not-alive but not-dead situation that is 'worse than death'...
That doesn't seem like a feasible ending to me. Voldemort could just possess someone else, get a new body, etc. etc. etc. I think the whole point is to get rid of Voldemort once and for all.

By the way, I think whatever is in the pouch is something Harry found at Godric's Hollow, perhaps something from Lily. Or perhaps Petunia had some things of Lily's all these years and gives them to Harry.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 17th, 2007, 3:11 am
First Year

Alright, so I've been speculating about the cover art just as everyone else has. I kept asking myself the same thing: "Where are they? Why are they in Gringrotts? What are they grabbing at?" All of that, for the UK edition though. I've been paying more attention to that one just because it has more detail and I haven't been able to come up with a suitable theory or argument for the US children's.
So anyways, I started looking at the UK children's from a little bit of a different perspective. I got to thinking that maybe each of the trio, (Ron, Hermione and Harry) are repesenting different parts of the book. For instance, we see Ron, who looks very scared in my opinion. He definetly seems to be wanting to get away from whatever he sees. Then Hermione seems like she's trying to grab at all this gold and treasure, and she looks down right flustered. And then Harry of course, who has nothing but pure determination on his face. All three of them seem to be showing a certian emotion that will quite possibly be important, if anything, in the final book.
I don't know how many of you will be keen on this idea...
As for the gold, I think this simply represents their horcrux hunt. The way that Hermione is trying to hold on to or grab something gave me the idea. As well as, once again, all the three emtions I previously explained by the whole trio.
We all know that there is no doubt that the horcrux hunt will be a challenge. I personally can't see how it wont be. I'm not trying to underestimate our young wizards and witch, quite on the contrary...I definetly think they will succeed in destroying all the horcruxes.
I think that all the gold and whatnot in this "vault" (or whatever it is) represents their struggle to find the actual horcruxes. As I said, it will be a touh job and they will probably be confused with all these things Voldemort could have made into one of his horcruxes.
Well, let me know if you think anything of this crackpot (or maybe not) theory, I'd like to expand on it some more once i get more brain waves.

Old April 17th, 2007, 4:29 am
First Year

I think you have a really good point charmedp7. I also agree that Gringotts is a highly likely place they could be located at.

What does anyone make of the symbol on the top of the spine of the UK childrens edition?

Old April 17th, 2007, 4:41 am
First Year

I'm not sure if this qualifies as "cover art" but there's a picture of a descending stairway in one of the posters by Scholastic.

Site: http://www.mugglenet.com/gallery/dis...bum=2102&pos=2

The first thing I thought of was DD's office and the second is one of Hogwart's stairways, such as the one where TMR was standing at in the movie version of CoS while Mytle was being carried down the stairs...

Old April 17th, 2007, 7:29 am
First Year

Hi! *first post*

i have been following this particular thread for a while and its great, but I have another impression considering the "snake in a ball" detail...

This is the image were talking about, right? To me, it looks like some part of an armour, a shield for the chest, and a helmet. They dont seem to belong to the general "treasure" but maybe to the sword the elf is holding...?

What do you think?

Old April 17th, 2007, 8:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka View Post
Hi! *first post*

i have been following this particular thread for a while and its great, but I have another impression considering the "snake in a ball" detail...
Actually I believe the snake in the ball is on the back cover of the UK childrens addtion.

I have also been overanalyzing that pouch/locket/whatever around harry's neck in the US version. I have never seen Harry as the boasting type, I don't think he would bring a horcrux just to rub it in Voldemort's nose. I have never seen him wear jewelry of any type, so it seems a bit out of character if it was a locket and not a pouch. I know this is a special locket, but if it isn't useful to harry, then I don't see any need to wear it. If Harry needed to bring the destroyed horcrux with him, that would make more sense, but wouldn't he have to bring them all then? Wouldn't Dumbledore have told him this important detail?

Also, I had thought that the thing around his neck was some sort of protection or help. I am not sure something that Voldemort made would ever be helpful or protect harry. It could be something Hermione made? or Dumbledore left for harry in case of the final battle. It is a part of the image that bothers me alot.

Then I don't wish to be right!
Old April 17th, 2007, 9:33 am
Fourth Year

has anyone talked about the text on the uk kids cover ?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies