Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Old April 17th, 2007, 3:45 pm
First Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Nyaaa, right, uhm, ok, then I understand...itīs a snake in a ball. Sorry.

As for the US cover, I do believe that weīre dealing with the veil here, but who could the people in the arena be? Could they be - dead? Or just Death Eaters too lazy to join the fight? And why donīt they duel with wands?

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedp7 View Post
Alright, so I've been speculating about the cover art just as everyone else has. I kept asking myself the same thing: "Where are they? Why are they in Gringrotts? What are they grabbing at?" All of that, for the UK edition though. I've been paying more attention to that one just because it has more detail and I haven't been able to come up with a suitable theory or argument for the US children's.
So anyways, I started looking at the UK children's from a little bit of a different perspective. I got to thinking that maybe each of the trio, (Ron, Hermione and Harry) are repesenting different parts of the book. For instance, we see Ron, who looks very scared in my opinion. He definetly seems to be wanting to get away from whatever he sees. Then Hermione seems like she's trying to grab at all this gold and treasure, and she looks down right flustered. And then Harry of course, who has nothing but pure determination on his face. All three of them seem to be showing a certian emotion that will quite possibly be important, if anything, in the final book.
I don't know how many of you will be keen on this idea...
As for the gold, I think this simply represents their horcrux hunt. The way that Hermione is trying to hold on to or grab something gave me the idea. As well as, once again, all the three emtions I previously explained by the whole trio.
We all know that there is no doubt that the horcrux hunt will be a challenge. I personally can't see how it wont be. I'm not trying to underestimate our young wizards and witch, quite on the contrary...I definetly think they will succeed in destroying all the horcruxes.
I think that all the gold and whatnot in this "vault" (or whatever it is) represents their struggle to find the actual horcruxes. As I said, it will be a touh job and they will probably be confused with all these things Voldemort could have made into one of his horcruxes.
Well, let me know if you think anything of this crackpot (or maybe not) theory, I'd like to expand on it some more once i get more brain waves.
A very inventive theory. With the exception of OotP, which showed a Phoenix, the previous UK covers all showed a specific event from the respective book. I personally tend to think that is the case here again. If the trio represented different situations in the book, why are at least Ron and Hermione equally dressed up in fancy robes?

Anyway, to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkeng View Post
I have also been overanalyzing that pouch/locket/whatever around harry's neck in the US version. I have never seen Harry as the boasting type, I don't think he would bring a horcrux just to rub it in Voldemort's nose. I have never seen him wear jewelry of any type, so it seems a bit out of character if it was a locket and not a pouch. I know this is a special locket, but if it isn't useful to harry, then I don't see any need to wear it. If Harry needed to bring the destroyed horcrux with him, that would make more sense, but wouldn't he have to bring them all then? Wouldn't Dumbledore have told him this important detail?
I agree. I donīt think Harry would brag with a destructed Horcrux infront of LV either. That would be out of character. And it wouldnīt be reasonable either. Harry has to take every advantage possible. If LV, at the time of the final confrontation, still does not know that Harry knows about his Horcrux secret, he should be kept in this state, shouldnīt he?

I still tend to think it is a pouch he is wearing. And I think it could be something protective. Or maybe it is something he found at Godricīs Hollow that reminds him of his parents and thus gives him strength.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:22 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedp7 View Post
Alright, so I've been speculating about the cover art just as everyone else has. I kept asking myself the same thing: "Where are they? Why are they in Gringrotts? What are they grabbing at?" All of that, for the UK edition though. I've been paying more attention to that one just because it has more detail and I haven't been able to come up with a suitable theory or argument for the US children's.
So anyways, I started looking at the UK children's from a little bit of a different perspective. I got to thinking that maybe each of the trio, (Ron, Hermione and Harry) are repesenting different parts of the book. For instance, we see Ron, who looks very scared in my opinion. He definetly seems to be wanting to get away from whatever he sees. Then Hermione seems like she's trying to grab at all this gold and treasure, and she looks down right flustered. And then Harry of course, who has nothing but pure determination on his face. All three of them seem to be showing a certian emotion that will quite possibly be important, if anything, in the final book.
I don't know how many of you will be keen on this idea...
As for the gold, I think this simply represents their horcrux hunt. The way that Hermione is trying to hold on to or grab something gave me the idea. As well as, once again, all the three emtions I previously explained by the whole trio.
We all know that there is no doubt that the horcrux hunt will be a challenge. I personally can't see how it wont be. I'm not trying to underestimate our young wizards and witch, quite on the contrary...I definetly think they will succeed in destroying all the horcruxes.
I think that all the gold and whatnot in this "vault" (or whatever it is) represents their struggle to find the actual horcruxes. As I said, it will be a touh job and they will probably be confused with all these things Voldemort could have made into one of his horcruxes.
Well, let me know if you think anything of this crackpot (or maybe not) theory, I'd like to expand on it some more once i get more brain waves.

i very very strongly disagree
every time a cover is released, there are always these "symbolism" theories that every item on the cover is symobolic and does not actually appear in the book
however, those theories are proven wrong every time

i mostly disagree because it seems way way way too complex and there seems to be way to much going on for the entire cover to be a symbol for different things
i could understand if the cover was simply one item such as a tree, or a burning tree, or a flower, or something, however theres just to much going and its much to specific for it to not happen in the book

Old April 17th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I definitely agree, Dumbleisdead, that’s too complicated and nothing has ever been symbolic before.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:26 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
I agree. I donīt think Harry would brag with a destructed Horcrux infront of LV either. That would be out of character. And it wouldnīt be reasonable either. Harry has to take every advantage possible. If LV, at the time of the final confrontation, still does not know that Harry knows about his Horcrux secret, he should be kept in this state, shouldnīt he?

I still tend to think it is a pouch he is wearing. And I think it could be something protective. Or maybe it is something he found at Godricīs Hollow that reminds him of his parents and thus gives him strength.
No, I don't think it would be like him to dangle it in front of Voldemort, ESPECIALLY if Voldemort didn't already know. That might be one of the dumbest things to do.

I'm a fan myself of the theory that he is carrying something that reminds him of his parents of Voldemort and gives him strength and motivation. I'm not positive what it would be, but I like the idea. I'm not entirely sure if it would actually be something special, but I like the idea!

But on the topic of the locket, what importance does everyone think it has? It is on the cover of the adult edition, so it must have something important to do with the book?

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate."
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:30 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneLuvsRon View Post
But on the topic of the locket, what importance does everyone think it has? It is on the cover of the adult edition, so it must have something important to do with the book?
I think most of us believe it's the missing Horcrux locket, and that one of Harry's tasks in DH will be to find and destroy it.

Old April 17th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbleISdead View Post
i very very strongly disagree
every time a cover is released, there are always these "symbolism" theories that every item on the cover is symobolic and does not actually appear in the book
however, those theories are proven wrong every time

i mostly disagree because it seems way way way too complex and there seems to be way to much going on for the entire cover to be a symbol for different things
i could understand if the cover was simply one item such as a tree, or a burning tree, or a flower, or something, however theres just to much going and its much to specific for it to not happen in the book
I don't "very very strongly disagree," saying that seems like you're going too far. I mean..you have to give her credit, it was very clever!
Although I really like the idea that that's what it all symbolizes, I don't think that the illustrator would go into that much detail. I believe the illustrator changes every book, and I'm not sure what every children's UK cover looks like, but I don't think they would make it that difficult to understand. The readers may think it to be misleading and most probably expect to see an actual scene on the cover. THe illustrator may want to give them just that.

But it was very deep thinking, I really liked it!
We can always pretend that that's what it means if it isn't right !

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
I think most of us believe it's the missing Horcrux locket, and that one of Harry's tasks in DH will be to find and destroy it.
Oh yes, I did read that, I forgot..

I like that idea. It was one of the first that we found out about, it would be ironic if it was the last one to be found and destroyed.
Do you think what it is sitting on might be a hint at where it is located? It seems to be on a rock or something similar. It could just be a background type thing though.

Last edited by HermioneLuvsRon; April 17th, 2007 at 11:41 pm.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:48 pm
Third Year

I was looking at the US version cover again and I noticed something. If you zoom out on the picture and trace the lines Harry and Voldemort's outreached arms are making, they eventually converge to a point (off the cover of course,a s we can't see what they are reaching for, or blocking). If you adjust for spatial distance (Voldemort is "closer" to the cover, and Harry is further in the background, as can be seen using the rocks as reference points.), you will find that Harry's body is the same distance from the "object" as Voldemorts body is.

Could this mean anything, or am I reading too into the lines?

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:24 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensievepeter View Post
I was looking at the US version cover again and I noticed something. If you zoom out on the picture and trace the lines Harry and Voldemort's outreached arms are making, they eventually converge to a point (off the cover of course,a s we can't see what they are reaching for, or blocking). If you adjust for spatial distance (Voldemort is "closer" to the cover, and Harry is further in the background, as can be seen using the rocks as reference points.), you will find that Harry's body is the same distance from the "object" as Voldemorts body is.

Could this mean anything, or am I reading too into the lines?
Well..I guess it depends on what you are trying to say about it's location to them. If the object is the same distance from Harry's hand as to Voldemort's body, what would it mean before...you asking what it means..

I'm confusing myself and probably you, sorry .

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:50 am
First Year

I'm perplexed!!

The locket is on both the us and uk book covers.

UK adult - doh
US - around Harry's neck

We all know about the locket, what's the big deal!! Is Harry using the fake locket for protection?? i.e. LV would never aim the old Avada Kedavra spell at Harry in fear of hitting the locket!!

Old April 18th, 2007, 1:22 am
Third Year

so ive finally decided
i really do like the US cover a lot
before i was iffy
but it def grew on me
and i really like the orange
the only thing that i dont like is how voldemort looks about twice the size of harry
im sure it looks fine when its on the book, i just think it looks wierd as a whole

however, i do in fact like the UK cover better, and this is the only UK cover ive liked better than the US cover(although the UK and US covers for HBP are at a tie currently)
although, ive never been a fan of the UK back covers, or the side binding part of the jacket(too many colors)
its a good thing that i really like the US covers for HP, because no matter what, i always have judged books by the covers, and generally speaking if i find a book cover ugly, i dont read it

Old April 18th, 2007, 1:38 am
First Year

Ok. These are my thoughts on the cover art on the UK version. This is a weird cover but it reminds me of old magazine covers from like the 1930's Then I thought maybe it is modeled after the old children's magazine called Highlights. You know the magazine you read in the dentist's office. And the best part of that magazine in the hidden picture puzzle and I thought bingo!!! that is what this cover is all about. If you look at the picture you will find hidden pictures all over the place I found a sorcerer's stone(looks like Hermione just dropped it) a dragon (Norbert maybe) a hippogriff just to name a few. But I don't know if this is just a puzzle "highlighting" the previous six books and has nothing to do with the seventh book or if the 'Highlights" (hidden pictures)have everything to do with the seventh book. The cover reflects Harry's quest looking for the "hidden" horcruxes. What do you think and what pictures can you find I would like to hear your ideas

Donna

Old April 18th, 2007, 1:43 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmitt View Post
Ok. These are my thoughts on the cover art on the UK version. This is a weird cover but it reminds me of old magazine covers from like the 1930's Then I thought maybe it is modeled after the old children's magazine called Highlights. You know the magazine you read in the dentist's office. And the best part of that magazine in the hidden picture puzzle and I thought bingo!!! that is what this cover is all about. If you look at the picture you will find hidden pictures all over the place I found a sorcerer's stone(looks like Hermione just dropped it) a dragon (Norbert maybe) a hippogriff just to name a few. But I don't know if this is just a puzzle "highlighting" the previous six books and has nothing to do with the seventh book or if the 'Highlights" (hidden pictures)have everything to do with the seventh book. The cover reflects Harry's quest looking for the "hidden" horcruxes. What do you think and what pictures can you find I would like to hear your ideas

Donna

i think the "sorcerer's stone" in question is just a large ruby

Old April 18th, 2007, 1:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I agree, it looks like a ruby.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 18th, 2007, 2:35 am
First Year

I believe the locket around Harry's neck in the US Cover is the Slytherin Locket on the British Edition. I believe the Locket is not significant in itself. It's the locket Harry found at the end of HBP with Dumbledore. It signifies the task at hand. The fact that he is still wearing it during the confrontation with Voldemort leads me to believe that his task has almost been completed. Only Voldemort is left to destroy at the time of the scene

Old April 18th, 2007, 7:32 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post

It would be an advantage to dangle a destroyed horcrux in Volde's face though. The only thing Voldemort has ever feared (aside from DD) is death. It would be a huge mental edge for Harry to show up and be like 'Hey, I destroyed your six horcruxes, buddy' because Volde would, for the first time in ages, be susceptible to dying. He wouldn't have that subconcious reassurance that even if he dies he can always come back. It would be like picking up on someones tell in a poker game and sending them on tilt. They are gonna make stupid plays because they were caught off gaurd and scared.

I happen to beleive, though, that the object is a pouch. I think it would be cool if Petunia had this little box of Lily's stuff that she has held on to all her life, or since her sister's death. Petunia outwardly renounces her sister's 'specialness' but deep down I can see Petunia caring deeply for Lily. Maybe she has something that she gives Harry before he leaves for the last time and Harry wears it throughout the book.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

Last edited by Accio_Book7; April 18th, 2007 at 7:34 am. Reason: CoS needs a spell checker....
Old April 18th, 2007, 1:30 pm
First Year

I know the favorite theory right now for the location of the trio on the front cover of the UK version is gringotts but I just came across something while re-reading GOF. On page 550(GOF) when Harry and Cedric are talking about what the last task will be Cedric says "Fleur keeps going on about underground tunnels; she reckons we've got to find treasure." Now, I wondered if perhaps their can be underground tunnels, I think I read in one of the earlier books that the lake went under the castle. Perhaps the castle on the UK version is Hogwarts (I questioned this because it looked too shiney) and maybe....just maybe JKR put this in as a hint. Or maybe its just a smokescreen and I am reading too much into it. Anyone?

Join theASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
"It was, he thought the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew--and so do I, thought Harry with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents--that there was all the difference in the world." HBP
Old April 18th, 2007, 1:33 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneLuvsRon View Post
Well..I guess it depends on what you are trying to say about it's location to them. If the object is the same distance from Harry's hand as to Voldemort's body, what would it mean before...you asking what it means..

I'm confusing myself and probably you, sorry .
No, not terribly actually, I see what your trying to get at, and it's something I was thinking about myself.

Note the fact that Harry's hand is cupped up, as if he is trying to pull something towards Voldemort, or magically throw it. Similarly, Voldemorts hand is flattened and thrown out, as if he is trying to repel something magically. It reminds me of another similar scenario in GoF, when Priori Incantem took effect in the graveyard, and they were trying to repel the bead of light from their wands.

I think it's not so important what the object they are reaching for is, but what it's implying about the scene. We are looking at the Final Confrontation, that much is certain. We are looking on another "battle of wills" between Harry and Voldemort, just like the one in GoF. With so much foreshadowing in that one scene in the graveyard, could we speculate that Harry is once again winning his personal fight against Voldemort, in a similar manner to that of GoF.

Old April 18th, 2007, 4:18 pm
First Year

i think that gringotts is a very likely place but also that those "under ground tunnels" and such places are also worth speculating about.

I think that the locket boing on the front of the UK adult edition is just kinda to confirm that DD's theories were correct so us as fans couldn't go off on rants like: If DD was wrong...

Old April 18th, 2007, 5:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmitt View Post

Donna
YOURE TOTALLY RIGHT! I actually had a subscription to Highlights. I LOVED it, and weren't the hidden objects/picture spread related to the story/stories in the issue? It's been ages since I've read/seen one. It is an interesting idea though and honestly I hope it's more on the money than this being a scene from the book.

It seems too Goonies-esqe to have the trio dumped into a ''treasure trove'' y'know? I dunno. Haha.

Courtesy Wikipedia:
"Highlights for Children is an American children's magazine. It began publication in June 1946, started by Dr. Garry Cleveland Myers and his wife Caroline Clark Myers in Honesdale, Pennsylvania (the present location of its editorial office)." Darn, I was hoping it was a UK publication. Actually, from my neck of the woods, haha.
Incase any of you have no idea what we're talking about,

"Hidden Pictures first appeared in the June 1946 issue of Highlights and has appeared in every subsequent issue. Children must find the smaller hidden pictures within the larger picture."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies