Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:15 pm
First Year

Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

I think we'll find out something significant. I think she might die, in front of Harry. Before she dies she will reveal an important secret to Harry.

"Im tall", said Ron unconsequentially
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 8:30 pm
Second Year

I have always thought that Petunia was interested in Sirius. With her love of news, it is natural to believe that she often eavesdropped on her sister and her friends. Lily's parents obviously had no problems with her being a witch and probably allowed many of her friends to visit which would give Petunia plenty of opportunity to overhear. Once Lily was involved with James, it would be reasonable to assume that his best friend would accompany him on some visits. If Petunia "fell" for Sirius and was rebuffed, it would explain a great deal about her behavior towards the wizarding world.

Old April 18th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Yeah, I always got the impression that Lily was very much accepted by the Maurauders once she became involved with James, so it makes sense they all might have visited her at some point, giving Petunia the opportunity to at the very least meet them.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 18th, 2007, 9:57 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dill View Post
Welcome DeplorableWord

I think you are right in thinking that she is trying to wash off something we don't see with her compulsive cleaning. Great modern reference with CSI to illustrate a 20th century Lady Mcbeth.

You got anything to explain her long neck and constant nosiness? I think it is more than supporting Vernon's desire to evade the hose pipe ban.
It seems she's on the look out. When she heares about Sirius'escape she is looking out...exactly, the[u]kitchen[u]window.Why? Afraid of someone returning from Azkaban?
I suspect Petunia spied a lot on her sister. This again is a wild guess, but I think she was involved in LV's plans. (One of them could well be the murder of Harry and the betrayal of Pettigrew)Maybe out of hate and envy of her sister? But because she's a Muggle she can't be sentenced at Azkaban. Like some of the wizards she worked with...?
Her 'detention' is having to care for Harry. Hence the correspondence with Dumbledore.
Maybe that's why she is oddly flushed when hearing the protection will end when Harry turns seventeen. She will be traceable and vulnerable...

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Very possible…

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:02 pm
First Year

Hmm. I certainly think that flush was odd. Perhaps the protection Dumbledore offered extended to her family as well, and once it wears off they will be in danger too?
I know Jo has squashed the idea of Petunia exhibiting magical tendicies, but I can't help to wonder where this mystery surrounding Petunia fits in. Would it be possible that she was born a witch too but chose not to take part in the world? Or that maybe she went further and gave up her powers willingly, or maybe they were taken from her? Maybe that's why she's so adamantly hateful of the world Harry belongs to? Or maybe she knows that Dudley has magic in him and when Harry's protection wears off, Dudley will be free with his powers all of a sudden?

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don’t think so… I think there’s more to it than that…

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:20 pm
First Year

I'm thinking that she'll either play a significant role in finding one of the horcruxes, or she won't be that useful at all. Regardless of the length of the book, I have a hard time seeing anything that's so special about her that could play a major role in the plot if it's not related to horcruxes.

While in the end she'll likely end feeling more sympathetic toward Harry, I still doubt her role as an important character throughout much of the 7th book.

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, it was at least implied by Jo that she was important.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:31 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
Yeah, I always got the impression that Lily was very much accepted by the Maurauders once she became involved with James, so it makes sense they all might have visited her at some point, giving Petunia the opportunity to at the very least meet them.
Especially considering that Sirius had already run away and was staying the summer with James during the time James and Lily may have been together.

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:39 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

*is missing something* What? Lol, I don’t remember that.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:10 am
First Year

"there's more to Petunia than meets the eye." Might mean that something about her appearance is deceiving. Maybe she isn't really blonde. Appearing with gloves on and a towel on the head could indicate that she is coloring her hair. Maybe it is really red, like Lily's. Or maybe Lily left her a potion so she won't gain weight. Shell run out when Harry leaves. It's amazing to me that Vernon and Dudley are so huge and she remains thin.

Maybe too literal, I know. But fun the think about.

Old April 19th, 2007, 12:38 am
Student

I think that there is definitely something more to her relationship with Lily. I would like to hear more about why she seems to dislike her.

Old April 19th, 2007, 12:54 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorableWord View Post
It seems she's on the lookout...This again is a wild guess, but I think she was involved in LV's plans. (One of them could well be the murder of Harry and the betrayal of Pettigrew)Maybe out of hate and envy of her sister? But because she's a Muggle she can't be sentenced at Azkaban. Like some of the wizards she worked with...?
Her 'detention' is having to care for Harry. Hence the correspondence with Dumbledore.
Maybe that's why she is oddly flushed when hearing the protection will end when Harry turns seventeen. She will be traceable and vulnerable...
I think your analysis that her snooping tendencies are a result of her being consistently on the lookout for something from the wizarding world is probably right, but I don't think it can be that she was involved with LV. He hates muggles--he would never have worked with one, especially one who was related to the Potters. It's more likely that he would have killed her out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylink View Post
Hmm. I certainly think that flush was odd. Perhaps the protection Dumbledore offered extended to her family as well, and once it wears off they will be in danger too?
I know Jo has squashed the idea of Petunia exhibiting magical tendicies, but I can't help to wonder where this mystery surrounding Petunia fits in. Would it be possible that she was born a witch too but chose not to take part in the world? Or that maybe she went further and gave up her powers willingly, or maybe they were taken from her? Maybe that's why she's so adamantly hateful of the world Harry belongs to? Or maybe she knows that Dudley has magic in him and when Harry's protection wears off, Dudley will be free with his powers all of a sudden?
Again, interesting, especially the idea that she has/had magical tendencies, but has a block/shield that prevents her from using them...reminds me rather of a phenomenon in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Unfortunately, I think JKR's quotes mitigate this scenario entirely. Petunia's secret is not going to involve magical ability.

What is it, then? I think it's definitely going to have to do with the fact that, despite her constant assertions to the contrary, she very much loved Lily..kind of a me-thinks the lady doth protest too much kind of thing. There's probably more to it than that, but it's a good foundation.

If we ever discovered, or even began to suspect, that our spontaneity was a part of their order...we'd be lost.

"I am not worried, Harry. I am with you."

Seriously, folks. This is our last time. Please, please, don't spoil it. Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old April 19th, 2007, 2:41 am
First Year

OK, this is my very first post, but I have been reading many of the threads out there. I just had this idea about Petunia/Snape, curious what you think.
Prior to Hogwarts, students either went to grade school or were home schooled. Since Snape’s dad was a muggle, do you think he went to regular grade school? In HBP, Bella remarks, “He lives here? “ – “Here? In this Muggle dunghill? We must be the first to set foot ---“ Do you think that Snape grew up near where Lily & Petunia grew up? Could they have gone to grade school together? Could Snape have been friends with Lily & Petunia prior to Hogwarts? I think it is possible that Snape and Petunia knew each other and that Snape is the “awful boy” that Petunia overheard talking to Lily. Maybe Petunia felt left out of the group after her sister found out she was a witch and would be going to Hogwarts. Maybe this explains Snape’s worst memory. Maybe it wasn’t his worst memory for the embarrassment, but because he felt bad for calling his childhood friend a mudblood. Just a thought, what do you think?

Old April 19th, 2007, 3:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by expelliarmus_01 View Post
OK, this is my very first post, but I have been reading many of the threads out there. I just had this idea about Petunia/Snape, curious what you think.
Prior to Hogwarts, students either went to grade school or were home schooled. Since Snape’s dad was a muggle, do you think he went to regular grade school? In HBP, Bella remarks, “He lives here? “ – “Here? In this Muggle dunghill? We must be the first to set foot ---“ Do you think that Snape grew up near where Lily & Petunia grew up? Could they have gone to grade school together? Could Snape have been friends with Lily & Petunia prior to Hogwarts? I think it is possible that Snape and Petunia knew each other and that Snape is the “awful boy” that Petunia overheard talking to Lily. Maybe Petunia felt left out of the group after her sister found out she was a witch and would be going to Hogwarts. Maybe this explains Snape’s worst memory. Maybe it wasn’t his worst memory for the embarrassment, but because he felt bad for calling his childhood friend a mudblood. Just a thought, what do you think?
First of all, to Cos Forums! A very interesting first post. A couple of thoughts: first of all, and this is just conjecture, but I always imagined Petunia growing up middle-class or upperclass, and I think while its possible that Snape came from a similar background, I always got the feeling he had a pretty frugal childhood. If the house at Spinner's end is in anyway connected to his past, that's certainly the case. As for the school issue, again, its possible, as you say, given his father, but I'm not sure. His dad does appear to have been abusive as per his bad memories: perhaps because in part because of Snape's reluctance to attend muggle school, where he might have been bullied? In terms of the "awful boy," I'm pretty sure that's just James.

Something to think about: if you're really sold on this theory, you might want to think about the "laughing girl" in his worst memories. Is this girl perhaps a young Petunia? I'm not really sure, given the above, but it's an interesting take. I hadn't thought of any of this before.

If we ever discovered, or even began to suspect, that our spontaneity was a part of their order...we'd be lost.

"I am not worried, Harry. I am with you."

Seriously, folks. This is our last time. Please, please, don't spoil it. Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old April 19th, 2007, 3:27 am
First Year

Welcome Expeliarmus_01,

I definitely think there was a wizard/petunia ship that will be revealed in book 7. Nothing in your theory goes against cannon and your speculations are as valid as any.

Last edited by dill; April 19th, 2007 at 3:31 am. Reason: clarity/grammer
Old April 19th, 2007, 3:57 am
Second Year

Wow! That was actually really similar to something that friend of mine just suggested to me, although her idea was that Petunia was possible in love with James.

Personally, there has to be a reason why Petunia hates magic so much, beyond the fact that she found Lily to be a "freak." I agree that Petunia probably felt extremely left out, and as a result began to hate her sister even more.

Again, the theory about Snape, Lily, and Petunia is very plausible; however, the one thing that I think contradicts it is that Petunia implied that Lily only brought home "that awful boy" after she began attenfing Hogwarts. If she had known Snape and he was the "awful boy" this wouldn't be the case.

But your guess is as good as mine, so...? I dunno, maybe she secretly was in love with James...but I'm grasping at straws here.

Old April 19th, 2007, 2:51 pm
First Year

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not really sold myself on my theory, but thought it was an idea, at least something to think about. Just been trying to think of what Petunia’s secret could be. Does anyone know if Lily is the older or younger sister? If Lily is older, possibly Petunia’s secret is, as simple as, she also desired to attend Hogwarts and was denied entrance as she wasn’t a witch. Maybe she never truly thought her sister to be a freak (at least not until she met Vernon and started to go along with his thinking) but instead was envious of her sister and had corresponded with Dumbledore to find out why she had also not become a witch and why she didn’t have magical powers. Maybe this also explains the “remember my last” because she had corresponded with Dumbledore in her youth.
Another possibility – is that Petunia found out about her sister’s death and Harry needing to be taken in earlier that day. Possibly she and Dumbledore had been corresponding all day back and forth, before she finally relented and agreed to take Harry in. Both of these scenarios would be something that she would not want her family to find out about.

Old April 19th, 2007, 9:36 pm
First Year

I was just reading some of the new posts on the "Huge revalation of Lily Potter-thread", when one question struck me. EMMARED wondered if Petunia had been under the Invisibility Cloak', maybe far fetched, well there is something peculiar:
In PS Petunia tells Harry 'that her sister got herself blown up'. How come, she can describe the EXACT way Lily died? Certainly Dumbledore wouldn't have corresponded something like "I'm sorry to inform you that your sister got herself blown up today."
So,why does Petunia know the precise effect of an AK?...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies