Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Old April 19th, 2007, 9:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Well, actually the Killing Curse does not blow you up, it just kills you in a flash of green light, so I’m thinking the “went and got herself blown up” part was Petunia’s interpretation of what she heard had happened. If Petunia had actually seen the Avada Kedavra performed she would not have described it as blowing up.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:00 pm
First Year

Yes,you're right,thanks for correcting me on that one.

Old April 19th, 2007, 10:36 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorableWord View Post
I was just reading some of the new posts on the "Huge revalation of Lily Potter-thread", when one question struck me. EMMARED wondered if Petunia had been under the Invisibility Cloak', maybe far fetched, well there is something peculiar:
In PS Petunia tells Harry 'that her sister got herself blown up'. How come, she can describe the EXACT way Lily died? Certainly Dumbledore wouldn't have corresponded something like "I'm sorry to inform you that your sister got herself blown up today."
So,why does Petunia know the precise effect of an AK?...
First off, welcome to the forums!!

Secondly, being blown up is not an effect of Avada Kedavra. In a normal circumstance, the person hit with the curse woudl just fall down dead with no mark whatsoever. However, the "blowing up" was more to do with the fact that the Avada Kedavra curse rebounded, which had never been done before.

That being said, I find it very difficult to believe that Petunia would have been at Godric's Hollow that night. I think she probably got the "blown up" bit from the fact that the house was destroyed. I think that that would be a bit of information that Dumbledore would have shared with Petunia.

Edit: RWeasleysgirl beat me to it. And that's what I get for not realizing there is another page after the one I'm viewing...whoops.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Last edited by sllagnire; April 19th, 2007 at 10:42 pm.
Old April 20th, 2007, 2:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
First off, welcome to the forums!!

Secondly, being blown up is not an effect of Avada Kedavra. In a normal circumstance, the person hit with the curse woudl just fall down dead with no mark whatsoever. However, the "blowing up" was more to do with the fact that the Avada Kedavra curse rebounded, which had never been done before.

That being said, I find it very difficult to believe that Petunia would have been at Godric's Hollow that night. I think she probably got the "blown up" bit from the fact that the house was destroyed. I think that that would be a bit of information that Dumbledore would have shared with Petunia.

Edit: RWeasleysgirl beat me to it. And that's what I get for not realizing there is another page after the one I'm viewing...whoops.
I agree with you; however I also agree with the person who said that it's possible that Petunia had corresponded - or at least me - Dumbledore before.
However I don't think that she was informed about what happened earlier that day - she wouldn't have screamed as hard as she did when she found Harry if Dumbledore had warned her in advance.

Old April 20th, 2007, 9:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, Jo is the one who said that Petunia and Dumbledore had corresponded before, I think it was either on the Mugglenet interview or on her website, but she did say it, so that’s a given. But you’re right, I don’t think she was expecting to find a baby on her doorstep that day.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
Well, Jo is the one who said that Petunia and Dumbledore had corresponded before, I think it was either on the Mugglenet interview or on her website, but she did say it, so thatís a given. But youíre right, I donít think she was expecting to find a baby on her doorstep that day.
First,thank you all for the welcome!

Yes, I definitely think that Petunia wasn't informed about what happened at Godric's Hollow until the moment she found Harry at her doorstep. Still, she was expecting something, but (Yes,I'm in the 'Petunia-is bad-camp') something quite opposite. At least not being stuck with a baby.
The day the Potters die and Harry survives Petunia is in a surprisingly good mood, expecting herself to have been of great help by what? May be someone just taking a firm line with that 'popular, brilliant and weird sister'. She, however never expected or wished her death.
I think Petunia's envy of her sister was used by LV's followers to locate and trick the Potters. In my opinion, Dumbledore's correspondence was about warning Petunia not to give in to the Dark Side.Hence, there was no correspondence on 'the Fatal Day'.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:03 am
First Year

DD said "remember my last" in the 5th book and stopped by in the beginning of the 6th. Is it possible he continued to correspond with Petunia throughout HBP? Possibly left her with some information? Or maybe he had already left her with some sort of information when he left Baby Harry? Everyone is wondering how DD will get more information to Harry in Book 7, but wouldn't it be easier to leave Petunia with directions to where Harry can learn more? Possibly a penseive and some more memories for Harry to view? I am under the belief that Harry will use the penseive to view the night Voldemort tried to kill him, and that would be the easiest way for DD to give Harry information. JKR has said portraits and ghosts are limited in what they can do. It seems the Order didn't know about the horcruxes, so it would make sense to leave information with someone who didn't understand or really care, plus had protection through Harry.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 6:33 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylink View Post
Hmm. I certainly think that flush was odd. Perhaps the protection Dumbledore offered extended to her family as well, and once it wears off they will be in danger too?
I know Jo has squashed the idea of Petunia exhibiting magical tendicies, but I can't help to wonder where this mystery surrounding Petunia fits in. Would it be possible that she was born a witch too but chose not to take part in the world? Or that maybe she went further and gave up her powers willingly, or maybe they were taken from her? Maybe that's why she's so adamantly hateful of the world Harry belongs to? Or maybe she knows that Dudley has magic in him and when Harry's protection wears off, Dudley will be free with his powers all of a sudden?
I'm kind of the same mind here. JKRowling said that Petunia isn't a 'squib'. Well we know that squibs are people born into a wizard family without any magic. But, we have never seen a name for someone born who has magic, but voluntarily chooses not to be a witch/wizard. She actually says in that interview that she is being shockingly indiscreet. Could that be the reason? Petunia is so prim and proper that from early on she despised witchcraft.
Does make you wonder, doesn't it?
Kim

Old April 23rd, 2007, 5:55 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvquidditch View Post
DD said "remember my last" in the 5th book and stopped by in the beginning of the 6th. Is it possible he continued to correspond with Petunia throughout HBP? Possibly left her with some information? Or maybe he had already left her with some sort of information when he left Baby Harry? Everyone is wondering how DD will get more information to Harry in Book 7, but wouldn't it be easier to leave Petunia with directions to where Harry can learn more? Possibly a penseive and some more memories for Harry to view? I am under the belief that Harry will use the penseive to view the night Voldemort tried to kill him, and that would be the easiest way for DD to give Harry information. JKR has said portraits and ghosts are limited in what they can do. It seems the Order didn't know about the horcruxes, so it would make sense to leave information with someone who didn't understand or really care, plus had protection through Harry.

That is a brilliant idea . Give information/directions to someone that does not fully understand them, but be able to give them to Harry at the right time. Petunia would be perfect for this, because she knows of the magical world but cannot fully participate and is not in danger of being caught by Voldemort as she has protection through Harry.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 9:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
PoA Ch 9 "Grim Defeat""Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!"

"Stand aside , you silly girl... stand aside, now...."

"Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead --"

What I, personally, find interesting, is that Lily says "kill me instead" implying that whatever Voldemort was there to kill Harry for could be accomplished just as easily with her death instead of Harry's. We know now, via DD, that Voldemort intended to make his final horcrux with Harry's death since Prophecy made Harry and important person and Voldemort likes to make horcruxes out of important deaths. Funnily enough, had he done what Lily said i.e. killed her INSTEAD of Harry letting Harry live, the prophecy would not have come true. The "kill me instead" seems to indicate that she knew about the horcruxes...the question is when. Had she known about it pre-fidelius charm she would have told DD, but he claims not to have suspected a horcrux until COS. Did she find out about the horcruxes that night at Godric's Hollow?
Reading this post something occured to me: Couldn't Petunia also have known about , or heard about Horcruxes, through her sister? (Or maybe it's even reversed: Petunia overheard, or was involved in an Horcrux-conversation, and told her sister).
Could this be the reason why Harry doesn't get anything (valuable) for himself? Because Petunia is afraid that her magical nephew will produce some himself? And that's why she's so keen on having no 'magical damage' done to Dudley.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 9:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don’t know, but that is possible.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 25th, 2007, 6:40 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorableWord View Post
Reading this post something occured to me: Couldn't Petunia also have known about , or heard about Horcruxes, through her sister? (Or maybe it's even reversed: Petunia overheard, or was involved in an Horcrux-conversation, and told her sister).
Could this be the reason why Harry doesn't get anything (valuable) for himself? Because Petunia is afraid that her magical nephew will produce some himself? And that's why she's so keen on having no 'magical damage' done to Dudley.
LOL I can just imagine Ron, Hermione, and Harry saying something about horcruxes and Petunia hears and gets all fearful and says, "Did you just say ::whispers:: horcruxes?" And the trio's jaws drop and Harry says, "YOU know about horcruxes?!" And Vernon says, "Whore crushes? What's this rubbish? Petunia?"

Old April 25th, 2007, 5:12 pm
Third Year

Read ME!!!

Did Jk Say who's older between Petunia and Lily?

If not, could they be non-identical twins?

Could this be the something more?

Could this be why DD wanted Harry to stay with Petunia, so the blood- protection thig could continue. Is it because Lily and Petunia not only have the same blood but the same DNA?

Am I crazy with this idea?

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.

Last edited by toonmili; April 25th, 2007 at 5:15 pm.
Old April 25th, 2007, 7:35 pm
Third Year

Well I hope its a lot, because there are some very interesting things that happened throughout the books, which leads me to beleive that Petunia knows a lot more of the wizarding world then she lets on.

The correspondance that DD and Petunia had might be through out Harry's school years. Like in the first year about the SS stone , second CoS, third about the demontor attack, fourth TriWizard Tournamnet, fifth stuff at the ministry.

It seems to me the DD kept Petunia notified of Harry's progress in school.

How else would Petunia know about things that happened to Harry, surely he did not tell her himself.

As for the phrase Blown Up in SS/PS I think she just surmised what happened to Lily and James and thought that. I don't think she knows exactly what the Avada Kedavra looks like.

Also When DD send the Howler in the fifth book, Remember My Last well I think that before Lily and James went into hiding that there was a communication between Lily and Petunia that we don't know about, that hopefully we'll find out about in the last book.

And so at last I was forced to put the world
behind me and go and hide. I made myself
a hole to hide in, pulled the hole in behind me,
and there I was: nowhere.

-Greatghalont Archwizard of the
play, Endings In Innarlith by
Skamart Thallea. Elminster Series.

Last edited by latiem; April 25th, 2007 at 7:37 pm.
Old April 25th, 2007, 9:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Actually, when Dumbledore said “Remember my last” he was referring to the letter that came with the delivery of baby Harry; Jo has told us this. So the correspondence was before that. And who’s to say Petunia really knows what Harry has been doing these past few years?

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:26 am
First Year

I have personally always presumed that Petunia was an older sister and that her attitude toward the wizarding world stemmed from jealousy of her younger sisters outshining her and getting more recognition from her parents. I actually think that there might be a bit more to it than this, as, if Petunia potentially could have gone to Hogwarts (ie, had magic) then she would have received her letter first, she would have been scared, uncertain and perhaps would have hidden it, not said anything and gone on to a muggle school instead, and then a year or two later Lily gets a letter and everyone thinks it is wonderful...

I can also imagine that magic would have been discussed between the two girls before either of them heard about Hogwarts/ knew that magic was real - they might perhaps have played at possessing magical powers, and then one day something real happened that scared Petunia but not Lily? We know that even muggleborns in possession of magical ability perform some magic before they are aware of what they are doing (Harry himself, Colin Creevey, Tom Riddle... though only Colin is actually muggleborn).

Old April 26th, 2007, 12:02 pm
First Year

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but perhaps Petunia's secret is something she has been secretly doing all these years, rather than some information she possesses or her history with Lily. Maybe she seals the spell which ensures Harry's protection at Privet Drive by some non-magical means.

I wonder if, whatever her secret is, it will change her relationship with Harry and the other Dursleys.

Old April 26th, 2007, 9:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I’m sure it will change her relationship with Harry, or at least change our view of her. My opinion of her was changed in OotP, and we learned so little, but it was like Harry actually felt a connection with her, that they understood the same thing. I think we will get that feeling again in DH; that she is an actual character rather than a prop there to make Harry miserable.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 28th, 2007, 1:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by expelliarmus_01 View Post
Does anyone know if Lily is the older or younger sister? If Lily is older, possibly Petuniaís secret is, as simple as, she also desired to attend Hogwarts and was denied entrance as she wasnít a witch. Maybe she never truly thought her sister to be a freak (at least not until she met Vernon and started to go along with his thinking) but instead was envious of her sister and had corresponded with Dumbledore to find out why she had also not become a witch and why she didnít have magical powers. Maybe this also explains the ďremember my lastĒ because she had corresponded with Dumbledore in her youth.
I like this idea. I do think Petunia is the older sister, though. We know that the Potters were relatively young when they became parents, and if Petunia is younger than Lily and has an older son, she must have been really young (again, relatively speaking) when she had Dudley. It's still possible, of course, and I think the idea someone suggested that Petunia and Lily might be twins is interesting too.

As Lily's parents were happy about Lily's acceptance to Hogwarts, I wouldn't be surprised if other Hogwarts students came to visit, and Petunia got to know some of them too. I like the theory that she fell in love with one of them, and when her feelings went unnoticed (or whatever happened), she turned her back on the magical world in anger. I hope she'll come in handy for Harry in book 7, who knows how many things she has managed to overhear...

-we might as well be hanged for a dragon as an egg. (Mrs. Figg is fantastic!)

Old April 28th, 2007, 2:14 pm
Third Year

Dudley and Harry are the same age. But I always assumed Petunia was the older one, then I realised that JK never said who was older, and usually when she leaves something like that out it's because it's important. For example she told us who was older between Sirius and Regulas but she neglects to mention who is older between Petunia and Lily.

If Lily and Petunia were twins and Lily was the favorite that would explain her behaviour.

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies