Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:13 pm
First Year

Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

I think the fact that J.K Rowling thinks she's slipped up or she's been indiscreet when she says 'Squib is a very good guess' tells us something, Petunia obvisously has more than information, she is somehow connected with the magical world.. perhaps she once wanted to be a wizard, and tried etc. or as others have suggested perhaps she simply does not use her powers.

I also really like the idea of her recieving a letter but rejecting it, but then this begs the question - surely she would still remain a witch? Which Rowling has quite obvisously said she is not.

Very interesting, I'm certainly looking forward to whatever 'secret(s)' Petunia holds, I also find it interesting as she said 'More than meets the eye'. Petunia appears to be one of the most obvisous muggles ever.. well maybe that's because she is really not a normal muggle. Though I'm not sure what she is yet, so don't ask. Hah.

"You have your mother's eyes"
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I wondered at one point whether she caused her parents’ deaths by attempting magic. Now this is just a passing thought, I don’t really believe it, but I remember Jo saying something about James’ parents having nothing sinister about their deaths, but I don’t remember her saying anything about the Evanses.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
I wondered at one point whether she caused her parentsí deaths by attempting magic. Now this is just a passing thought, I donít really believe it, but I remember Jo saying something about Jamesí parents having nothing sinister about their deaths, but I donít remember her saying anything about the Evanses.

From the Mugglenet Leaky Cauldron interview:

Quote:
MA: What about Harry's family ó his grandparents ó were they killed?
JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.
Hope that helps.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old May 4th, 2007, 11:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Thanks. Yeah, like I said, I had no belief in it, I just had thought of it at one point.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrys_wand2 View Post
i 'gree RWeasleysgirl not only does it have no canon backing For it it has against it. petunia & lly are related they are the same blood
Precisely... There's no way they aren't sisters...

I think that Petunia will show bravery at some point, and has in the past... (maybe the excessive spying?)... This bravery might even come in the form of revealing information as many have suggested... I don't believe however, that she has any magical powers... I can't find the quote, but I think it was something along the lines of "she has never been able to do magic, and never will be able to."... I'll try to find it.

HERE IT IS!

Section: Rumours
Aunt Petunia will start exhibiting magical tendencies
No, she won't. Aunt Petunia has never performed magic, nor will she ever be able to do so.

From JKR's website: http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en...view.cfm?id=37

"Sin wouldn't be so popular if its wages were paid immediately." -Anonymous-

"All gave some. Some gave all. Some are still giving. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!"

~God Bless~
Old May 5th, 2007, 2:59 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I definitely think spying has something to do with it. Perhaps that’s really why she’s so keen to keep Harry under wraps; it would be breaking the law and abandoning her duties if she let the neighbors find out.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 5th, 2007, 4:13 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIWIZARD View Post
I'm going out on a limb here but I think we'll learn that Petunia is not Lily's real sister. I think Lily was adopted and that Snape and Lily are really brother and sister. Sever-us. Snape was also adopted by Tobias Snape and that their real father is Tom Riddle. Not Voldemort but Tom Riddle.

He was quite handsome and Eileen could have used a potion to trick him into loving her the same way as Merope did with Tom Riddle Sr.
Petunia is not Lily's real sister

They have to be related though or else there would have been no point to Harry living with the Dursley's all these years for the protection his mother's blood (Petunia) gave him

I think Lily was adopted and that Snape and Lily are really brother and sister. Sever-us.

As interesting as that sounds, I think that if Lily and Snape had a relationship, it was not a sibling one.

Snape was also adopted by Tobias Snape and that their real father is Tom Riddle. Not Voldemort but Tom Riddle.
He was quite handsome and Eileen could have used a potion to trick him into loving her the same way as Merope did with Tom Riddle Sr.

Snape wasn't adopted because the newspaper clipping Hermione found mentioned Eileen Pince marrying Tobias Snape and giving birth to.... Also, I rather wonder if Tom Riddle has ever been interested in a romantic relationship. Somehow I don't think so and I also think he was too strong a wizard to be hoodwinked into a love potion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everhope View Post

I also really like the idea of her recieving a letter but rejecting it, but then this begs the question - surely she would still remain a witch? Which Rowling has quite obvisously said she is not.
I'm not sure I like the idea of her having enough magical ability but rejecting the letter. But if that were the case, she would not have a wand, and would have no training, so though she had the ability, she would not really be a witch because she doesn't know how to use her magical powers. She would be akin to muggle-raised witches and wizards who did strange things but never knew it was magic and could never control it. So it might be possible that something like this happened with her. And also, if it did.... why did she reject her letter? Did Lily (older in this case) already start Hogwarts and it scared Petunia somehow? That doesn't make sense because it seems like Petunia was jealous of how proud her parents were when Lily got her letter. So then, did she reject it (as the older sister) and then Lily got one too but Lily accepted it? Not sure what the implications of that would be....

Or did she only have a slight amount of magical ability, not enough to come (like Neville said his family was worried about-being ALMOST a squib). That sounds close in matching to JKR's comment that a squib was a good guess. She would then be jealous because she wouldn't be able to be part of the magical world like Lily. I think Dumbledore had been writing to her through the years because he, unlike many wizards, values muggles and squibs and all the in-betweens. He gave Filch a job at the school so in a sense he can still belong in the magical world. He gave Ms. Figg the important job of watching over Harry as he was growing up, and perhaps he thought it important to keep up with Petunia and let her know that she was welcome in the magical world and he could perhaps find a place for her (which was not good enough for Petunia) And things worked out so she could live a normal muggle life but still have a strong, important role in the wizarding world-providing protection for Harry, the Boy Who Lived.

Old May 5th, 2007, 1:32 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusLovesUs View Post
Petunia is not Lily's real sister
Then Dumbledore lied to Harry when he said the protection at Privet Drive was based on the bond of blood (between Petunia and Lily)?

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old May 5th, 2007, 3:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I definitely think spying has something to do with it. Perhaps that’s really why she’s so keen to keep Harry under wraps; it would be breaking the law and abandoning her duties if she let the neighbors find out.
So we all know she loves to spy on neighbors, trying to uncover a scandal and so forth...
Perhaps, she has always been this way. Therefore, when Lily brought James home, she could have evesdropped on their conversations about the wizarding world...she may have info on the first OOTP. And all sorts of things!

Old May 5th, 2007, 7:08 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Then Dumbledore lied to Harry when he said the protection at Privet Drive was based on the bond of blood (between Petunia and Lily)?
OMG on another thread someone took something I said and attributed it to someone else and here you are claiming I said this statement when it was in fact someone else. I think you took my post explaining to the original poster that Lily and Petunia had to be sisters and quote me as saying they weren't

Old May 6th, 2007, 3:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIWIZARD View Post
I'm going out on a limb here but I think we'll learn that Petunia is not Lily's real sister. I think Lily was adopted and that Snape and Lily are really brother and sister. Sever-us. Snape was also adopted by Tobias Snape and that their real father is Tom Riddle. Not Voldemort but Tom Riddle.

I think lilly and petunia are related by blood as that is the key to dumbledoor sealing the protections that lilly gave to harry. It is required that he call home the place where his mother's blood dwells.

Old May 6th, 2007, 4:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
So we all know she loves to spy on neighbors, trying to uncover a scandal and so forth...
Perhaps, she has always been this way. Therefore, when Lily brought James home, she could have evesdropped on their conversations about the wizarding world...she may have info on the first OOTP. And all sorts of things!
Thatís a probability.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 7th, 2007, 6:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusLovesUs View Post

Snape was also adopted by Tobias Snape and that their real father is Tom Riddle. Not Voldemort but Tom Riddle.

Snape wasn't adopted because the newspaper clipping Hermione found mentioned Eileen Pince marrying Tobias Snape and giving birth to.... Also, I rather wonder if Tom Riddle has ever been interested in a romantic relationship. Somehow I don't think so and I also think he was too strong a wizard to be hoodwinked into a love potion.

I'm not sure I like the idea of her having enough magical ability but rejecting the letter. But if that were the case, she would not have a wand, and would have no training, so though she had the ability, she would not really be a witch because she doesn't know how to use her magical powers. She would be akin to muggle-raised witches and wizards who did strange things but never knew it was magic and could never control it. So it might be possible that something like this happened with her. And also, if it did.... why did she reject her letter? Did Lily (older in this case) already start Hogwarts and it scared Petunia somehow? That doesn't make sense because it seems like Petunia was jealous of how proud her parents were when Lily got her letter. So then, did she reject it (as the older sister) and then Lily got one too but Lily accepted it? Not sure what the implications of that would be....

Or did she only have a slight amount of magical ability, not enough to come (like Neville said his family was worried about-being ALMOST a squib). That sounds close in matching to JKR's comment that a squib was a good guess. She would then be jealous because she wouldn't be able to be part of the magical world like Lily. I think Dumbledore had been writing to her through the years because he, unlike many wizards, values muggles and squibs and all the in-betweens. He gave Filch a job at the school so in a sense he can still belong in the magical world. He gave Ms. Figg the important job of watching over Harry as he was growing up, and perhaps he thought it important to keep up with Petunia and let her know that she was welcome in the magical world and he could perhaps find a place for her (which was not good enough for Petunia) And things worked out so she could live a normal muggle life but still have a strong, important role in the wizarding world-providing protection for Harry, the Boy Who Lived.

On Snape first: doesn't it also mention, when Harry breaks into his thoughts during an occlumency lesson that Snape looks a lot like his father - same nose, same hair?

Have already given my thoughts on Lily and Petunia, but - IF Petunia had a letter from Hogwarts then I definitely think she would have rejected it because she was scared, possibly because there had already been an encounter with magic that scared her. Of course, even if she has no magical ability whatsoever then Dumbledore may still have tried to find some way to reconcile her to the magical world, something for her to do because she is aware of it and feels so strongly about it

Old May 8th, 2007, 8:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby12 View Post
I'm SO interested in this topic. I really like the idea of the Petunia loves Snape who loves Lily who loves James. That could definitely be verrrrrry interesting. It would also explain why Petunia is so bitter towards the magical world... she loved a wizard who didn't love her back. Anyway I think that would be interesting. As to what role she'll play... well I can only assume we will learn something VERY interesting about her. I just have no idea what! But I'm SO excited to find out... because we all know it'll be GOOD!
I have sometimes imagined how scandelous it would be if Harry was actually Petunia and James' son. I'm not sure that could have happened though, becuase I believe that Dudley was born close to the same time that Harry was, right? It could have been very interesting to see how it could have worked out. It would have been one reason why Harry had to always return home, and why he has Lily's eyes, and why Lily's sacrafice could have been so important--because she was not really his blood mother, but was his mother through her love nevertheless

Old May 8th, 2007, 9:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby12 View Post
I'm SO interested in this topic. I really like the idea of the Petunia loves Snape who loves Lily who loves James. That could definitely be verrrrrry interesting. It would also explain why Petunia is so bitter towards the magical world... she loved a wizard who didn't love her back. Anyway I think that would be interesting. As to what role she'll play... well I can only assume we will learn something VERY interesting about her. I just have no idea what! But I'm SO excited to find out... because we all know it'll be GOOD!
WOW! I have never heard this theory and I thought I was paying attention to this thread. It would certainly make for a very interesting plot. Ha ha ha it is kind of funny to think though and we still don't know for sure if Lily was talking to James when Petunia overheard about the dementors. JKR did say that Snape was loved by someone before, I assumed it was just his mother, but what if it was Petunia? HA hA HAhA! It does kind of remind me of a day time drama, but I wouldn't rule it out...

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Total soap opera material. But it could be interesting if done in the right way. Still, what would be the significnce?

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Total soap opera material. But it could be interesting if done in the right way. Still, what would be the significnce?
I think just that she would have had ties to the wizarding world and would have gainned information that she can know pass on to Harry.
(I think either way she has ties with it) however, this is just one theroy to explain those ties.
I also have a feeling that her and DD sent letters back and forth or at least DD sent them to her.
Is it possible the two she over heard talking one being Lily (as we know) but the other being DD?

Old May 8th, 2007, 11:41 pm
First Year

pl;ease repondon this theory
jo SAid :
Quote:
She is not a squib, although that is a very good guess. Oh, I am giving a lot away here. I am being shockingly indiscreet.

thts interesting ... At least the "Very good gues " part. could it be that sqib means both parents are wizards and if 1 is and 1 isnt the person is just called a muggle. so pentuia is that a half muggle remem,ber how carfeful jo is about her rtitin

Curioser and curioser
-alice in wonderland

Old May 9th, 2007, 1:53 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I definitely think she has ties to wizards. And I think it’s obvious she and Dumbledore have exchanged letters because they’ve “corresponded.”

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 9th, 2007, 8:08 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledoresocks View Post
I have sometimes imagined how scandelous it would be if Harry was actually Petunia and James' son. I'm not sure that could have happened though, becuase I believe that Dudley was born close to the same time that Harry was, right? It could have been very interesting to see how it could have worked out. It would have been one reason why Harry had to always return home, and why he has Lily's eyes, and why Lily's sacrafice could have been so important--because she was not really his blood mother, but was his mother through her love nevertheless
Yeah that's impossible because Dudly is only months older than Harry, and it's simply straightforward to know who the mother is. Now the father is the one who we can question (just for fun of course because I sincerely believe that James and Lily are his real parents). Wouldn't it be fun if Snape was Harry's dad? LOLOLOL. Then Harry might really be what Snape accuses him of "proud and arrogant just like his father"/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrys_wand2 View Post
pl;ease repondon this theory
jo SAid :

thts interesting ... At least the "Very good gues " part. could it be that sqib means both parents are wizards and if 1 is and 1 isnt the person is just called a muggle. so pentuia is that a half muggle remem,ber how carfeful jo is about her rtitin
On her website, Jo defines a squib as a non-magical person with at least 1 magical parent. So a child with no magical powers who has one muggle parent and one magical parent is still a squib.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies