Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Would Voldemort come back as a ghost?

Old April 18th, 2007, 7:46 pm
First Year

Would Voldemort come back as a ghost?

WARNING: This is a spoiler free area. For all Deathly Hallows discussion, please head to The Deathly Hallows Forum. Any posts in this thread that are considered to be spoilers shall be deleted by staff. Thank you.

I really hope he does not die. If he were to die, knowing full well what he is afraid of most is death, combined with what headless nick tells us, he will most likely become a ghost. Actually, he, wormtail, and draco would become ghosts.

so i think if wormtail were to help harry, he will prolly end up doing so as a ghost. I also believe that if voldy gets killed he will become a ghost and stalk harry till his dying breath. (do not really see him following ministry's rules like myrtle did) If however he were to get a little "kiss" then his body could just rot in prison for the rest of his days, not bothering anyone anymore plus harry would not become a cold blood killer himself.

anyway, my 2 cents, might be only one who feels this way but hey, thats what we are here for, to get new ways of looking at things hehe

Last edited by Pegasus; July 13th, 2007 at 8:23 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 8:18 pm
First Year

Re: Would Voldemort come back as a ghost?

I doubt Voldemort would come back as a ghost considering the fact that he has split his soul into several pieces through the creation of horcruxes (he's already torn up his "ghost"). Further, several of those pieces of soul have already been destroyed, essentially killing off parts of his ghost with each horcrux that is found.

Therefore, unless the remnants of horcruxes gather together in a kind of "purgatory" or something once they're destroyed, it is unlikely that Voldemort would even have a ghost left to haunt Harry.

Last edited by TerranOvermind; April 18th, 2007 at 8:36 pm.
Old April 18th, 2007, 9:56 pm
First Year

he wants to be immortal so that must mean he fears death. Nearly Headless Nick was scared of death so he stayed back. Voldy may too, but he cant do anything as a ghost excpt walk into people and unsettle them.

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Knower of things

There's an editorial on this also Voldemort: Wll he be gone after all

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:14 pm
Fourth Year

old Voldy as a ghost could you imagine the havock that would cause. I agree that LV hasn't got enough of a soul to become a ghost. Though I think if he hadn't made the Horcruxes thats what he would become

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:39 pm
Second Year

I have to agree. There shouldn't be enough of LV to be a ghost.

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Even if he were, he couldn’t do much damage as a ghost. But really I agree with everyone else, he would have to be like, seven little ghostlets! No there’s just not enough of him.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 19th, 2007, 4:52 am
Second Year

I doubt that it would be possible just because his sould is in seven pieces, and therefore as each piece is killed individually, by the time Harry attacks his body there isn't enough human left to become a ghost.

Althgouh if it is possible, it's an interesting possibility, as Nick said that the only people who come back as ghosts are those who fear death, and we know that Voldemort fears death.

Still...I doubt it. But you got me thinking about it.

Old April 19th, 2007, 5:00 am
Fourth Year

Even if Voldemort did become a ghost, I don't really think it would work to his advantage. He's supposed to be the fearsome dark lord-what's the worst he can do to someone as a ghost? Walk through them? While probably annoying and a little scary looking, a ghost Voldemort would be really pointless.

Of course, being afraid of death, he would probably see it in a different light than I do. Just seems to me that if you wanted to be evil, being a ghost would not be the best choice.

Old April 19th, 2007, 4:21 pm
First Year

arnt we going to find out the true reason why people come back as ghosts in book 7? i think the only people that come back as ghosts did not deserve to die.

Old April 19th, 2007, 5:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire_Girl View Post
what's the worst he can do to someone as a ghost?
Don't forget that Peeves is a ghost, and we've all seen what he's capable of. The only drawback is that Peeves and the other ghosts are "confined", if you will, at Hogwarts. It's their haunt. I believe a ghost's influence and power would only be effective in the place they reside. We haven't seen any evidence (that I'm aware of) that ghosts roam the earth freely in the Harry Potter verse.

IF Voldemort were to become one, he would only be known as an evil spirit in a scary place no one goes near like the Shrieking Shack.

Old April 19th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerranOvermind View Post
Don't forget that Peeves is a ghost, and we've all seen what he's capable of. The only drawback is that Peeves and the other ghosts are "confined", if you will, at Hogwarts. It's their haunt. I believe a ghost's influence and power would only be effective in the place they reside. We haven't seen any evidence (that I'm aware of) that ghosts roam the earth freely in the Harry Potter verse.

IF Voldemort were to become one, he would only be known as an evil spirit in a scary place no one goes near like the Shrieking Shack.
Peeves isn't really a ghost in the sense that you are thinking. He was never alive, never a real person. He is a poltergeist, a spirit of chaos. I know that JKR has said something of this sort in an interview somewhere.

Also, The Shrieking Shack was never actually haunted by ghosts, it was only Lupin turning into a warewolf that made people think that it was haunted.

On subject, I don't think that Voldemort will come back as a ghost. Although it is true that his greatest fear is dying, I just can't see it happening.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old April 19th, 2007, 8:03 pm
First Year

I do remember JKR making a distinction between a ghost and a poltergeist, or "noisy ghost".
I thought that was pretty cool for her to do in her "Potterverse". It's a unique, for the main part, description to her world. If I am not mistaken it was in response to the question, "Why doesn't Dumbledore throw Peeves out?". Her reply basically said that poltergeists come with the place (building) they occupy. They aren't former "people" but forces that have taken human shape (or more properly, ghost shape).
A force, not properly human, but all the same tied to a material existense. Now who would that remind us of?

Old April 19th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Second Year

I dont think its death itself that Voldy fears but the feeling of being powerless as you die. I really do not think he would come back as a ghost because the Ghost Voldy would be completely powerless and unable to make physical contact with anything.

Old April 19th, 2007, 9:19 pm
First Year

To me, it doesn't seem like something Voldemort would do. He likes grand, showy things and I think he would see becoming a ghost as lowering himself. He also likes adventure and learning new things and although he is a afraid of death, I think he would like the idea of finding out what happens after you die. Voldemort would also me too ashamed to follow Harry around I think, the idea of dying after all the effort he put into becoming immortal would seem embarassing to him. It wouldn't really matter if he did though would it? He wouldn't be able to touch anything or do anything other than float and talk. I just hope he dies in the end, I'll be happy as long as that happens.

Old April 19th, 2007, 9:55 pm
First Year

to be honest, i dont think he would be a ghost, if he were to imprint himself on the earth he would have to regret something, he doesnt regret anything

Old April 21st, 2007, 2:17 pm
Second Year

Considering his incredible fear of death and the next life, I think that he would probably come back as a ghost. Then he could have a whole army of ghosts for his bidding!

Even the darkest night will end, and the sun will rise.
Old April 21st, 2007, 3:44 pm
Student

I think that with Voldemort's fear of death, he would come back as a ghost. But being one wouldn't be very helpful because he would have no impact on the world.

Old April 21st, 2007, 4:23 pm
I want to believe

Technically if Voldemort died he would become a ghost considering how afraid of death he is. So to the question of would Voldemort come back as a ghost, I'd say yes. But to the question of will Voldemort come back as a ghost in the story, I'm going to say no. I think that kind of an ending wouldn't bring about the kind of closure needed to wrap up the story.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:43 pm
First Year

I have a feeling that he will rather go than accept a ghost form. He will get to overcome his fear of death in his dying moments to round off his pitiful life. Well it's just me...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies