Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Neville play a major role in Deathly Hallows?

Old April 21st, 2007, 6:45 pm
Second Year

Re: Will Neville play a major role in Deathly Hallows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde015 View Post
Neville is the most underestimated character of the series....i was watching the first movie and at the end when Dumbledore is awarding the last points, I noticed something very important which might be the key twist in the final book.....so Dumbledore gives Hermione then Ron and finally harry the points and just when we think it was over all of a sudden J.K Rowling surprises us and gives the last point to the most unexpected character in the book NEVILLE!! now when i saw this last night in the movie i realized that maybe in the end when harry and Voldemort are going at it... neville will be the one who will finish of Voldemort....since he is the second person after harry who has to do with the prophecy....he might turn out to be the unexpected hero.
I agree, he will have a major part. But I don't think he'll be the one to take down Voldemort. Voldemort gave Harry the scar, not Neville. In the scene you're describing, Harry receives the most points, he does the most work, but Neville certainly helps.

Even the darkest night will end, and the sun will rise.
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2007, 6:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refinnej7 View Post
I agree, he will have a major part. But I don't think he'll be the one to take down Voldemort. Voldemort gave Harry the scar, not Neville. In the scene you're describing, Harry receives the most points, he does the most work, but Neville certainly helps.
yes-- you have a point about Harry having the scar. But Neville was also apart of the prophecy, maybe they will BOTH have to kill Voldemort.

"Not just the Spanish Main, luv. The entire ocean. The entire wo'ld. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom."
----Captain Jack Sparrow

My two favorite loves: it involves a guitar and a wand.=]...
Old April 21st, 2007, 7:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxy_luvsharry View Post
yes-- you have a point about Harry having the scar. But Neville was also apart of the prophecy, maybe they will BOTH have to kill Voldemort.
Neville's part in the prophecy was eliminated when Voldemort had made the choice when he first heard it Hence, it is Harry, not Neville, who is destined to vanquish Voldemort.

Neville's role in DH will be important of course. His parents suffering will be avenged by him and for that, he must take part in the final battle if he wishes to confront Bellatrix Lestrange. Apart from that, he can also aid Harry in the Horcrux hunt. His knowledge in Herbology might play a part in it, not to mention his true talents will shine in the last book.

Dance Pretty
Old April 21st, 2007, 8:27 pm
First Year

I think Neville will be one of the most important characters in DH. Remember all the way back in book 1, how he was a very shy, intimidated and unskilled boy. Then he matured throughout the books until book 5-6 where he not only overcame fears and fought against the Death Eaters, but became very good in magic.

Old April 21st, 2007, 8:34 pm
Third Year

Im torn on this one. First Voldemort chose Harry, so the story has to center around Harry, the search for the horcruxes and Voldemort etc. On the other hand, Neville has become an important character. Like many of you have said he went from an obscure character to an upfront character. I don't think his role in DH will be as big as his role in OOTP.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 3:37 am
First Year

I do believe that Neville will play an important part in DH. I do not think he will be the one to kill Voldemort, but I suspect he will have an important role nonetheless. Here's why I think this:
  • His grandmother spent most of the series pointing out how Neville hasn't got his father's talent.
    JKR goes to a lot of trouble to make Neville's family (especially gran) appear to be a bit unstable. Everything from gran's clothing to her constant criticism to uncle 'whats-his-name' throwing Neville out a window to scare the magic out of him, seems a little off balance. I feel like JKR is practically shouting, "These people really don't have a clue." This makes me think Neville has a heck of a lot more talent than we have seen thus far and it's bound to come out eventually. And since this is the last book...
  • Neville and Luna were the only DA members (not counting Ron, Ginny and Hermione) who joined the fight at the end of HBP.
    Neville is braver than he knows and we got a good glimpse of it from that fight. During the chaos, when Malfoy and a handful of death eaters ran up the stairs toward the tower, Neville tried to chase after them. He got thrown back by the spell the death eaters used to block the stairs, but the important point is...Neville actually tried to take on a bunch of death eaters all by himself. If that isn't the mark of a true Gryffindor, then I don't know what is. I think we're going to see another act of bravery like this in DH.
  • Bellatrix is still alive and kicking.
    Bellatrix is responsible for the torture of Neville's parents. JKR has brought that to our, and Neville's, attention time and time again. It would seem that Harry and Neville both have a score to settle with Bellatrix now, actually. I honestly don't think JKR would just leave this hanging. Perhaps Neville and Harry will have to battle her together. That would be a really powerful (no pun intended) scene, don't you think?
  • Harry will need loyal friends by his side, now more than ever.
    I think he'll have to be the one to face Voldemort in the end, but he won't make it to that point without help. Who better to provide some of that help than the characters JKR has already invested a generous amount of her (our) attention on? In addition to members of the Order (and Ron and Hermione, of course), I think Harry will be assisted in some way by Neville and Luna. Why else invest so much time in their characters?
  • Neville has been petrified of Snape throughout the entire series.
    This might just be wishfull thinking but, I think Neville will overcome this fear before the end of DH. JKR has made so many references to this, most notably the boggart scene in POA. I really feel like that fear will end in DH...one way or another.

Honestly, I don't expect that Neville will have to face Voldemort himself. I don't think Neville's part in this story will be as extensive as Harry, Ron or Hermione's, but I do think he will have an important part somehow. I feel like there has to be a reason that JKR didn't make Neville's character fade into the background after it was revealed that Harry was indeed the 'target' of the prophecy. Dumbledore basically told us that Neville is no longer a factor in the prophecy because Voldemort chose Harry. JKR could've let Neville's character off the hook at that point but she hasn't. He keeps popping up, usually during the climax of the book, indicating to me that it could easily happen once again in DH.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 6:00 am
Second Year

I think Neville will do in Bella. Maybe just as she's about to get Harry.

Old May 4th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't know how major it will be, but i think we will definately see him kill Bella. I hope it will be a major battle scene and that he is victorious. But, as for the book as a hole I don't think we will see that much of him...

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:14 pm
Second Year

I'm not sure why but i don't like Neville at all and it's strange because i'm usually always on the underdog's side . It's almost 100% sure that he is going to eliminate Bellatrix and probably he is going to get even bigger in the book role somehow.

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:59 pm
Fifth Year

Maybe not a major role, but Neville will help in some way towards Harry's Horcrux hunt (yay for alliterations). If he killed Bellatrix, it would obviously help a redemptive ending for all the characters, but I somehow doubt it will happen.

The thing that I think is a Chekhov's Gun in DH is Neville's Herbology ability. I mean, really; Neville is rather inept-to-average in everything BUT Herbology, there's no way he won't use that ability somehow to help the fight against Voldemort.

The end of PS/SS gave Neville a bit of the limelight for once, so if DH has a mirror plot like it's supposed to, the same should happen.

Old May 5th, 2007, 10:01 am
Fifth Year

I think Neville will be in the final battle! As to 'if he lives to tell the tale'...only one person knows that, for sure!

Old May 5th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I hope that he has a slightly bigger role than in HBP. He really only contributed at the end, magnificent though he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
The thing that I think is a Chekhov's Gun in DH is Neville's Herbology ability. I mean, really; Neville is rather inept-to-average in everything BUT Herbology, there's no way he won't use that ability somehow to help the fight against Voldemort.
He's not really inept at all, except maybe in Potions, and Snape didn't do anything to help him there. For his OWLS he recieved:

Transfiguration - Acceptable
DADA - Exceeds Expectations
Herbology - Outstanding
Charms - Exceeds Expectations

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old May 5th, 2007, 7:35 pm
Second Year

Neville does seem like a capable wizard, but I don't think the final battle will have him in it. The prophecy could have ment either but i think that because Voldemort chose Harry, then it has to be Harry, not Neville.

Old May 6th, 2007, 2:35 am
First Year

It is going to be interesting to see which students will play an important part in DH. Neville could very well be at the final battle. I actually hope it is not just Harry and Voldemont. That perhaps the end battle is The Order vs. The Deatheaters and Harry and Voldemont face off as well as many other enemies we have seen throughout the books. I doubt J.K. gave us so much information on Neville that he isn't a major factor in DH. I wonder if Harry would tell him the truth about the prophecy? Interesting.

Old May 6th, 2007, 2:40 am
First Year

Watch neville end up saving the day.

Old May 6th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuske View Post
I believe the Prophecy was created to draw Voldemort out.
As to Neville, he had his Father's wand; when he got his own wand, he has become much better.
I think Neville must be a lot better wizard than he ever thought and than we've ever been able to see, once he got training from Harry in Dumbledore's Army. I'm just finishing another reading of OotP and had forgotten that Neville's dad's wand is destroyed at the MOM battle. I thought, well finally Neville can get loose from a major incumbrance to his own wizarding development -- his dad's wand! I can't remember much about his wand use in HBP, but I'll be starting that next and will look for it. I don't remember anything being said about his new wand or its composition or a burst in Neville's skill, but I bet there's a lot there I just didn't notice.

Old May 6th, 2007, 6:53 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde015 View Post
Neville is the most underestimated character of the series....i was watching the first movie and at the end when Dumbledore is awarding the last points, I noticed something very important which might be the key twist in the final book.....so Dumbledore gives Hermione then Ron and finally harry the points and just when we think it was over all of a sudden J.K Rowling surprises us and gives the last point to the most unexpected character in the book NEVILLE!! now when i saw this last night in the movie i realized that maybe in the end when harry and Voldemort are going at it... neville will be the one who will finish of Voldemort....since he is the second person after harry who has to do with the prophecy....he might turn out to be the unexpected hero.
Neville CAN'T finish off Voldemort, since Harry's the one that Voldemort thought the prophecy stood for. It would be cool, but it's impossible based on the facts.

Not Shipper's ships: ANY SLASH!

Join the movement to kick Peter out of the Marauder's.
Make Sirius, James, Lupin, Fred and George the real Marauders. Copy this to your sig to join the movement.
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:42 am
Banned

the prophecy is never said to be perfectly true.......as dumblydore said, the prophecy is what you think of it

Old May 7th, 2007, 1:23 am
First Year

I think Neville will have to be involved in killing Bella. Also, don't you think he will have to do something with that mimbulus mimbeltonia? JKR has mentioned it so many times...

Old May 7th, 2007, 1:35 am
Third Year

I don't think he will have a MAJOR role, but he will be at least as prominent as Luna (of the students I'd say only the trio, Ginny, and Draco will have more important roles). He'll definitely be there and do something important, and might kill Bellatrix, although I can't see him using the Avada Kedravra.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies