Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Neville play a major role in Deathly Hallows?

Old July 10th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Will Neville play a major role in Deathly Hallows?

Major role? No. Key role? Perhaps. I think that mostly he is one of Harry's tried and true allies--though the two have been awfully interchangable. Look at when they (the two sugjects of it) were (literally) juggling the prophecy back and forth at the Ministry.

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Second Year

I would expect that Neville would be quite a large character in the seventh book, as there are a number of plots that concern him, and JK said that she was tying up plot points.
I also think that we will find out more about his parents, and about Bellatrix Lestrange, both of which are linked to him in some way.

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 10th, 2007, 7:04 pm
First Year

i love Neville he is awesome... i really hope he finishes off the people who hurt his mom and pop

Old July 10th, 2007, 7:05 pm
First Year

i think he will

from the DA he has grown close to the trio and he is braver than he seems

i hope he does but that he doesnt die

Old July 11th, 2007, 6:32 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Major role? No. Key role? Perhaps. I think that mostly he is one of Harry's tried and true allies--though the two have been awfully interchangable. Look at when they (the two sugjects of it) were (literally) juggling the prophecy back and forth at the Ministry.
I know. I always find that so ironic, that the two possible subjects of the prophecy were the last two standing in the Ministry. It was definately foreshadowing if nothing else.

I do think Neville will play a major role. His role has always been interesting. He was brought to the front in SS/PS when he won the final points for Gryffindor to win the house cup. Again, I think this was foreshadowing of a possible role for Neville. In the next three books he was shunted towards the back, never forgotten, but never really praised, except with the boggart, where he shocked us all by pulling off a perfect spell on his first try! When we got to OotP, Neville comes to the front again, and he was more amazing than most of us suspected and we found that he could've had Harry's life. In HBP, Neville was shunted to the back again. I think he will be brought forward again in DH, now that the prophecy will be more acted on rather then discussed.

Plus I'm dying to see Neville in action with his new wand!

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old July 11th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Second Year

neville and harry will battle bellatrix together, after all theyre only 7th year students, they still couldnt really handle a death eater alone. Harry will be crying-esque and crucio-ing bellatrix to death when Neville will stop him. Don't know the result of this.... Perhaps Bellatrix will get caught, perhaps not.

Whether Severus Snape, is good or bad, he's still going to die. We all know that!
Old July 11th, 2007, 3:30 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I know. I always find that so ironic, that the two possible subjects of the prophecy were the last two standing in the Ministry. It was definately foreshadowing if nothing else.
I always love that too, along with this scene (re: the Prophecy):

The Department of Mysteries, OotP"Harry, I don't think you should touch it," said Hermione sharply, as he stretched out his hand.

"Why not?" he said. "It's something to do with me, isn't it?"

"Don't, Harry," said Neville suddenly. Harry looked at him. Neville's round face was shining slightly with sweat. He looked as though he could not take much more suspense.

"It's got my name on it," said Harry.

I just like that she shows us Neville there, given that he's so wound in with this plot. It's one of those things I always spot and squee over on my rereads.

Anyway, I think I've posted here before, but what I'm really thinking is that the "with a great rush of affection for both of them..." scene at the end of HBP is a set up for Neville and Luna's return in DH, as opposed to being a goodbye. I think Neville's been written to come back in seven (the Bellatrix plot, for example), and Jo's comments seem to say as much, so I'm kinda hoping I'm right. I don't think he's going to defeat Voldemort or anything, but he's a loyal friend (and has proved that time and again), so I really think he could help if given a chance.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing

Last edited by Spritey; July 11th, 2007 at 3:36 pm.
Old July 11th, 2007, 4:02 pm
Fourth Year

I think both him and Luna will play a large role in Dh because JK built them up in OOTH and then did basically nothing with them in HBP. I really hope he does because he's a good character and I want to see him get his justice on Bellatrix.

Old July 11th, 2007, 4:08 pm
First Year

I hope Neville gets to play a major role in Deathly Hallows because he really hant played a very big role in the others. Hopefully, he might help Harry in the big fight againest Voldemort. I also hope we see Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and Dean with Neville helping Harry in the big fight

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 11th, 2007, 4:09 pm
First Year

for sure.....he has always been the 4th member of the trio =)

i hope he gets Bellatrix, and gets his parents back and makes his grand ma happy and lives happily ever after as a hogwarts teacher....

Old July 11th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Zonko's Employee

According to mugglenet JKR wrote a letter to Helena Bonham Carter and told her that Bellatrix is going to play a significant role in DH. This bodes well for seeing a lot more of Neville. Even though Harry has a beef with Bella over Sirius, he has other, bigger fish to fry, namely Snape and Voldy. I believe we will learn how and why Bella et al went after the Longbottoms and why they were tortured.

Old July 11th, 2007, 4:30 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde015 View Post
Neville is the most underestimated character of the series....i was watching the first movie and at the end when Dumbledore is awarding the last points, I noticed something very important which might be the key twist in the final book.....so Dumbledore gives Hermione then Ron and finally harry the points and just when we think it was over all of a sudden J.K Rowling surprises us and gives the last point to the most unexpected character in the book NEVILLE!! now when i saw this last night in the movie i realized that maybe in the end when harry and Voldemort are going at it... neville will be the one who will finish of Voldemort....since he is the second person after harry who has to do with the prophecy....he might turn out to be the unexpected hero.
I agree with you. I think Neville has a lot to do with the plot in the series. Can't wait

"I'm not the monster he wants me to be. So I'm neither man nor beast. I'm something new entirely. With my own set of rules. I'm Dexter, booh"
Old July 11th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Second Year

I adore Neville. Up until recently (in the books), He`s had zero confidence and that seems to be the thing thats holding him back (he`s certainly no Squib). Now that he`s faced the death Eaters on two occaisions he could well have a true moment of glory in Deathly Hallows. I hope beyond gope that he either finishes off Bellatrix (to avenge his parents) or possibly even Snape (his Boggart).

Old July 11th, 2007, 7:10 pm
Third Year

I also wrote about this in a minor-details thread...

They were talking about a locket, that got me to thinking, Lockhart. Nothing special about the prof. himself, but it got me to remembering the "Droobles best blowing gum" thing which had a hidden message which hasn't taken part in anything yet - that's almost certainly going to have something to do with something.

Neville is the centre of all of this yet again. Neville received tonnes of these wrappers from his parents and couldn't work out what it was. We know there is an annagram in there and also that Neville's rememberall (as far as I remember) didn't remind him of what he forgot - so we now have two mysteries surrounding Neville.
Has Neville done enough to warrant being a Gryffindor? we know Ron in the first book was in the chess-set, in the second book he went into Aragog's lair with Harry despite his apparant fear of spiders, he has been on all Harry's adventures (give or take) while Hermione has also been in most of his adventures. Harry himself is definately a Gryffindor. Now that only leaves Dean who is a background character. But don't let us forget that JKR was originally going to have Dean with his own sub-plot of a muggle father and witch mother, or was it the other way round? either way, he hasn't shown that much aptitude in my opinion to be a real Gryffindor. Meanwhile Seamus seems like he should be a bit of a Slytherin to me, I would like to hear people's views on that. Neville has stood up to his friends in book one, he has not done all that much else as far as I remember until book 5. So maybe we need one last defining point from Neville - if he remembers what he forgot and uses it well it would put his half-squib, stuttering, hopeless reputation the boot forever. I think because of this he will die, because he has been almost destroyed by so many people and the person who arguably has been the kindest to him was Barty Jr. who tortured his parents and destroyed his life in the first place. Don't forget, Neville could have been in the prophecy. He is like a mirror image of Harry if Harry's parents wound up differently and he had not received magical excellence from Voldemort.
The rememberall would point toward a memory charm in my opinion. They could be thrown off - don't forget Lockhart popped up at the same time as Neville meets his parents which could have been a suttle prod in the right direction to get our minds working towards memory charms.

Old July 11th, 2007, 7:21 pm
Second Year

Psycho, I just read your post in my Minor Details thread, and was just considering how to respond.

I don`t follow you, is there a hidden message with the gum wrappers? However, if there was a reason his mum keeps giving him the wrappers, it would be very interesting.

Old July 11th, 2007, 7:27 pm
First Year

Neville will play a HUGE part in DH is my prediction, however....I don't think he will torture Bellatrix, and I don't think he will kill her either. He is after all, Neville Longbottom. He is a kind, gentle kid/boy/young man who will show Bellatrix the kind of mercy she has never shown anyone.

Neville is full of love and hope, just the kind of thing the Dark Lord knows not....Bellatrix either. Neville will play a much bigger role in the last book than he has ever played before, AND, he will be quite important in the final battle. Just guessing of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
I also wrote about this in a minor-details thread...

They were talking about a locket, that got me to thinking, Lockhart. Nothing special about the prof. himself, but it got me to remembering the "Droobles best blowing gum" thing which had a hidden message which hasn't taken part in anything yet - that's almost certainly going to have something to do with something.

Neville is the centre of all of this yet again. Neville received tonnes of these wrappers from his parents and couldn't work out what it was. We know there is an annagram in there and also that Neville's rememberall (as far as I remember) didn't remind him of what he forgot - so we now have two mysteries surrounding Neville.
Has Neville done enough to warrant being a Gryffindor? we know Ron in the first book was in the chess-set, in the second book he went into Aragog's lair with Harry despite his apparant fear of spiders, he has been on all Harry's adventures (give or take) while Hermione has also been in most of his adventures. Harry himself is definately a Gryffindor. Now that only leaves Dean who is a background character. But don't let us forget that JKR was originally going to have Dean with his own sub-plot of a muggle father and witch mother, or was it the other way round? either way, he hasn't shown that much aptitude in my opinion to be a real Gryffindor. Meanwhile Seamus seems like he should be a bit of a Slytherin to me, I would like to hear people's views on that. Neville has stood up to his friends in book one, he has not done all that much else as far as I remember until book 5. So maybe we need one last defining point from Neville - if he remembers what he forgot and uses it well it would put his half-squib, stuttering, hopeless reputation the boot forever. I think because of this he will die, because he has been almost destroyed by so many people and the person who arguably has been the kindest to him was Barty Jr. who tortured his parents and destroyed his life in the first place. Don't forget, Neville could have been in the prophecy. He is like a mirror image of Harry if Harry's parents wound up differently and he had not received magical excellence from Voldemort.
The rememberall would point toward a memory charm in my opinion. They could be thrown off - don't forget Lockhart popped up at the same time as Neville meets his parents which could have been a suttle prod in the right direction to get our minds working towards memory charms.

I am SO GLAD that someone else see's this! It has always bothered me that Neville has this really bad memeory! I also agree that this may be the result of a memory charm gone wrong-or of having it used on one too many times. We see in HBP Neville really coming into his own, and I am CONVINCED that Neville (and his memory or lack there of) are going to be MAJOR players in DH. I'm happy you see that too!

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Third Year

Yes, I believe "Droobles Best Blowing Gum" can be rearranged to make "Gold Bribe below Gringots" or something to that effect, you'd have to check the forum archives for more information... I remember there were a couple of threads on it a year or so ago.

Old July 11th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Zonko's Employee

Unfortunately there is nothing to the gum wrappers (sighs wistfully if only) this is from the interview with Emerson and Melissa from Mugglenet.

Quote:
MA: Our next winner question is from Delaney Monaghan, who is 6 years old, via her mother, Vanessa Monaghan. They’re from Canberra, Australia. “What is the significance, if any of the gum wrappers that Mrs. Longbottom keeps giving Neville?”

ES: Quick, go on the record [with what you think] before she answers —

MA: I think they're a sad mark of an insane woman.

JKR: That was also asked of me this morning. That idea was one of the very few that was inspired by a real event. I was told what, to me, was a very sad story by someone I know about their elderly mother who had Alzheimer's, and the elderly mother was in a closed ward. She was very severely demented and no longer recognized her son, but he went faithfully to visit her twice a week, and he used to take her sweets. That was their point of connection; she had a sweet tooth, she recognized him as the sweet-giver. That was very poignant to me. So I embroidered the story. Neville gives his mother what she wants, and (it makes me sad to think of it) she wants to give something back to him, but what she gives back to him is essentially worthless. But he still takes it as worth something because she's trying to give, so it does mean something, in emotional terms.

But, the theories on the sweet wrappers, are really out there.

ES: You can’t blame them.

JKR: I mean she's not trying to pass him secret messages.

MA: She's not really sane —

JKR: No. You're right. But that's a classic example of, "Let's just shut that one down," because it doesn't really lead anywhere very interesting even if they're wrong.

MA: It's probably one of the most touching moments in the books.

JKR: I think it is important as a character moment.

Old July 11th, 2007, 10:57 pm
Second Year

I think Neville will play a huge part in DH, and that although he won't use an unfotgivable curse on Bella she will die at his hand, probabley because of a fall, but certainly it will make his Gran proud.

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:09 pm
First Year

thanks flimsey for that post...

it really was a character moment....another reflection of Voldermorts effect on peoples lives.....

Voldemort left HP as an orphan.....he was the cause of Neville's parents madness...the were the living dead...essentially leaving Neville as an orphan too..

as some said, JKR did say Bellatrix will play a large roll in DH....i think we need to learn why she went after the Longbottoms AFTER Voldemort's attempt at killing HP failed.....

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies