Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Old April 20th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Mouse

Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

*sigh* Star-crossed lovers kept apart by fate.

Harry, Harry, wherefore art thou noble? What light from yonder window breaks? It is the horcrux, no! Wait! I'll come in again. . .

So, Harry and Ginny, what's up with them? Will she come with him to find the horcruxes, will they meet again when he's done? Are they meant to be?

And now a word from our sponsors: The topic of the thread is Harry and Ginny and what their relationship will be in Deathly Hallows and Beyond. Stop. That's it. End of Definition of Topic. Please to be staying on it.

Also, please remember to respond politely to other members. If you have not yet done so I highly reccommend reading: How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic.

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

I would like to think she'll help him. She's not the type to sit back and go into hiding like Harry suggested at the end of HBP.

I see a lot of similarity between Ginny and Lily actually, no I don't think they're related, but I think Jo is sort of showing how history repeats itself, and Ginny is a lot like Lily I think. Strong personality, very powerful, more so than her brothers, and of course red hair.

So I'm hoping no matter what happens Jo will give us a happy ending with Ginny and Harry married and looking like a young James and Lily.

But maybe that's just wishful thinking

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 20th, 2007, 7:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleGreenfield View Post
So I'm hoping no matter what happens Jo will give us a happy ending with Ginny and Harry married and looking like a young James and Lily.
If they get an ending together, that's fine by me. But I really hope they don't turn them into young James and Lily. James and Lily are dead, and should remain there.

(Didn't mean to sound whiny, I just find it somewhat.. unsettling that Harry and Ginny resembles his parents so much)

Old April 20th, 2007, 7:40 pm
Second Year

Just in their looks. I mean obviously they're not exactly alike. I just thought they were similar, I mean Harry is not as confident or show offy as his dad was. I mostly meant in appearance... I mean why would Jo put Harry with a strong, powerful, redhead? I think she did it on purpose. Since James and Lily couldn't live on, Harry and Ginny will and have the life they should have... you get where I'm going? I don't know if I'm making sense to anyone other than me.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 20th, 2007, 7:51 pm
First Year

No it makes sense. I sure hope it ends up that way. Ginny will prove herself to him, her capabilities through all this by being indepensible. I think she will have such a large hand at some point that it will prove to Harry just how much he needs her...in his task and beyond. I really don't think they will end up shattered. i think both will live and they will end up together. Harry needs a woman like her in his life, and if Ron has Hermione then she will always be his friend of course, but she will cease to be the protective nurturer that Harry needs because she will be devoted to Ron. Don't oversimplify, I dont mean that she'll stop caring or that Ginny is a replacement for Hermione, I just mean that she is the kind of person Harry needs, and the only one we know of in the books. And she will prove her power is most important. I think Harry needs to see that to feel like she can take care of herself. But I digress, in response to you, Belle, I certainly see the literary parallel. They will live on and have the life Harry's parents should have had, they will fulfill the purpose that Lily left Harry when she died for him, that they will have full and happy lives.

Old April 20th, 2007, 8:15 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylink View Post
And she will prove her power is most important.
i very much agree. i don't quite yet understand exactly how harry's "power the dark lord knows not" being love is going to physically help him, but i think his relationships will play into it. obviously, there's the love the trio has for each other; harry's gotten to experience, learn, and grow from that over the last six books. but i think it will have a very important affect on him to have that romantic love with ginny. i think, however the whole love-power thing is going to play into dh, harry and ginny's relationship will have a very profound and lasting affect.

"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"

"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"...this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship...

the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
Old April 20th, 2007, 8:25 pm
Second Year

Right! Exactly!

How specifically Ginny will help with the task I don't know. Have we heard what her strong points in magic are? Is it Charms or Transfiguration? I don't think it's potions...

Just Ginny and Hermoine themselves would be a force to reckon with.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 20th, 2007, 8:29 pm
First Year

Because Ginny resembles Lily, it is almost as if Harry is viewing Ginny as a reminder of his mother. He can't ever talk to his mother again, but Ginny is still there. I don't mean to say that Harry loves Ginny because she is a constant reminder of his mother, but I like the idea of the literary parallel between Harry and Ginny, and Lily and James.

Anyway...back to the actual topic. I think that Harry is going to try to stick to his noble ideals about leaving Ginny to do his duty and find the horcruxes. However, Ginny has never been one to sit around while Harry (or any other of the people she is close to) is in danger. And Ginny can most likely be an asset to Harry. She has already proven to him (in the ministry of magic) that she can defend herself and fight without serious injury. (and, hey, she is good at that Bat-Bogey Hex.) However, I don't know anything specific that she is particularly good at. But who knows what she can do. We have never really seen her at clases in Hogwarts.

They're going to have some type of meeting during Deathly Hallows. J.K. Rowling has spent a while setting them up and I don't think she is just going to completely seperate them now. If the book was going to have a happy, fairytale ending, Ginny and Harry would end up together. With the books being like they are, I'm not really sure what will happen to them in the end.

Old April 20th, 2007, 8:36 pm
Fourth Year

As we all know love is an important theme in the series. Harry has never loved a woman before Ginny. I know there was Cho but that seemed to be purely lust not love. Harry will need to know all kinds of love if he is to use it to defeat LV, love of friends, love of family and the love you have for your partner. Ginny is Harry's first love she will always have a place in his life. Not that I think JK will break them up. I'm praying and hoping for the happy ending. Ginny wont have to prove her worth in DH. Harry deep down already knows how capable she is it's just that he is afraid. Losing Sirius and DD hurt so much that he doesn't want to feel that pain and because he has come to love Ginny so much losing her will be 10 times worse.

Ginny is a determined young woman. She won't take no for an answer and I believe we are in for a good arguement between them before Bills wedding. If her past behaviour is anything to go about, ie the arguement that happened after Harry thought he was being possessed in OOTP, then it will be a good one. Ginny is very much like her mother when it comes to arguing. In later life I think Harry will need to head her off at the pass as Arthur has learned to do with Molly.

I don't think Ginny will come with the Trio on the quest though. Molly just won't allow it but she won't be one to stay at home either. I see her helping behind the scenes as Harry and Ginny will continue their relationship in secret, as I have said before she won't take no for an answer. She will help Hermione with research and Ron with stragetic planning. Maybe she will help the twins with developing weapons for the war.

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old April 20th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Sixth Year

based on ginny's performances thus far in the books (the hexes and such), i'd say her strength is most likely charms, although i don't think it is ever specifically mentioned. wasn't that lily's? i don't have my books, so i can't verify. and as far as hermione goes, she's pretty much good at everything...well, except divination () and apparently she's not as good at dada as harry, but then, who is?...yeah, i imagine those two girls ticked off at someone for messing with their men would be a rather terrifying scene. i wouldn't want to be on the other end...

i think her relationship with the twins will come in handy too. we've seen them get into developing more dada stuff in the last book, and i think their joke shop will yet make a large impact on the war. so, yeah, i could definitely see her ties to them coming in big in dh to help out the order and more specifically harry.

"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"

"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"...this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship...

Old April 20th, 2007, 9:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don’t think hexes are the same as Charms, and Jo has called her a very powerful witch, so I would say her strength is magic in general.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 20th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
I donít think hexes are the same as Charms, and Jo has called her a very powerful witch, so I would say her strength is magic in general.
lily was called a very powerful witch, but if i'm not mistaken it still says she was gifted in charms. and maybe not charms, but it could be dada. i don't see any other classification it would fit under. it's definitely not history of magic or herbology...

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:21 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

She was especially good in Charms, yes, but she was also good in Potions, and we don’t know what else she was gifted at. I don’t suppose hexes really fit directly into any category taught at Hogwarts (DADA is possible, but I’m not sure it’s likely) but more perhaps something that the students just tend to learn.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:14 pm
First Year

As far as what is Ginny good at - I think the bat boogey hex would either be charms or DADA, but since she is a powerful witch, she is probably pretty good in general.
As far as Lily -- She was gifted in Charms and Potions.

My thoughts on Harry and Ginny - I think Harry will try his best to stay away from Ginny, but will not be able to. I think that they will start finding their way back together at Bill & Fleur's wedding. I also think that Hogwarts will re-open and really think that they will all go back to school, even if Harry doesn't, I think that Ginny will and she will help to secure things there and do research to help the trio.

I also really like the post about them being similar to James and Lily and maybe Harry and Ginny will be able to live the life that James and Lily should have had. I too, hope that they will live happily ever after. I guess we will have to wait until July 21st to find out. I just wonder if I will be able to stop myself from looking at the end. I want to read it all the way through. Can't wait.

Old April 20th, 2007, 11:53 pm
Second Year

I don't think Ginny will come along and search for the Horcruxes with Harry, but I think she will be an asset in the final battle. She's proven her fighting ability the past two big battles, I think she'll take down a DE or two.

And I believe that Harry and Ginny will end up together. I think Trelawney made one true prediction about him when she broke down and cried in OotP, saying he'll live to be 100 and have twelve children, and I think Ginny will be the woman he spends those years with.

Even the darkest night will end, and the sun will rise.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sile View Post
As we all know love is an important theme in the series. Harry has never loved a woman before Ginny. I know there was Cho but that seemed to be purely lust not love. Harry will need to know all kinds of love if he is to use it to defeat LV, love of friends, love of family and the love you have for your partner. Ginny is Harry's first love she will always have a place in his life. Not that I think JK will break them up. I'm praying and hoping for the happy ending. Ginny wont have to prove her worth in DH. Harry deep down already knows how capable she is it's just that he is afraid. Losing Sirius and DD hurt so much that he doesn't want to feel that pain and because he has come to love Ginny so much losing her will be 10 times worse.
I agree. Harry is letting that fear control him at the moment. We saw him doing the same thing in OOTP - he was hurting and very angry and he didn't want to feel anything if it meant having to feel pain. Dumbledore talked him through that.

However, I do think that Harry really hasn't given much consideration to how capable Ginny is. He hasn't seen it for himself and he doesn't really think about it. He seems to feel that Ginny needs to be protected. The fight between Ron and Ginny is a good example of that. When Ginny pulled her wand, Harry really didn't do anything. But when Ron pulled his wand, Harry put himself in front of Ginny. He didn't feel that Ron needed protecting from Ginny, but clearly felt that Ginny needed to be protected from Ron.

I think that could potentially become an issue. Ginny was rebelling against her brothers being so overprotective of her in HBP. She was tired of being seen as just the baby sister. I don't see her tolerating that kind of behavior from Harry either.

Quote:
Ginny is a determined young woman. She won't take no for an answer and I believe we are in for a good arguement between them before Bills wedding. If her past behaviour is anything to go about, ie the arguement that happened after Harry thought he was being possessed in OOTP, then it will be a good one. Ginny is very much like her mother when it comes to arguing. In later life I think Harry will need to head her off at the pass as Arthur has learned to do with Molly.
That's an interesting point. I do agree that there is an argument to come - Harry and Ginny have not really had an argument and they are due for one. After all, all couples argue to some extent. As I said above, I think Harry continuing to be protective towards Ginny to the degree that he would throw himself bodily into a fray will likely become an issue - particularly with Harry breaking up with her for a "stupid noble reason" that basically just comes down to Harry not wanting her to get hurt.

It's interesting to look at Ginny's behavior at the end of HBP - particularly before the funeral. She's not sleeping well and she interrupts Harry to announce that she's going to bed because of that. Initially, this would appear to be rather uncaring. However, when Harry breaks up with her, she says that she knew he was going to do it and that sheds new light on her previous behavior. She knew what was coming and could tell that Harry was pulling away. She was resigned to the inevitable and needed that time to herself to prepare for it - how she would handle it and what she would say. She knows that Harry does not respond well to direct confrontation so she had to consider her approach carefully.

Ginny laid the groundwork in letting Harry know that she understands why - even if she doesn't agree with him. And she let him know that she wasn't going to give up. She's not asking him to stay or telling him to stay out of it, but she is telling him that she will be there for him no matter what. Harry walked away before she was finished, but the groundwork has been laid.

Something that struck me today about all of that - Harry walked away and did not look back. He couldn't bear it and doesn't even look Ginny's way after that so we don't know how Ginny reacted to that. She made the effort to be calm and rationale and he walked away. I think that could be a factor as well. Lack of sleep, her own grief, her own hurt at Harry's actions, irritation with being coddled and overprotected overall, and the fact that he walked away could all very well add up to one very hacked off Ginny Weasley.

Quote:
I don't think Ginny will come with the Trio on the quest though. Molly just won't allow it but she won't be one to stay at home either. I see her helping behind the scenes as Harry and Ginny will continue their relationship in secret, as I have said before she won't take no for an answer. She will help Hermione with research and Ron with stragetic planning. Maybe she will help the twins with developing weapons for the war.
I agree. I don't see her going with them to search for all of the Horcruxes. However, I do think she will be a key factor in finding the unknown Horcrux. I also think she will actively participate in the war in any way she can. Helping the twins is an interesting idea - I hadn't thought of that. There is also the DA - I think it's possible that Ginny, Neville, and Luna could be significant in that regard. I also think it's very likely that Ginny will be given the other mirror so that the trio has a safe means of communication - a way to call the Order if necessary.

All in all, there is a great deal of potential for conflict there. I can see Harry getting upset and trying to get Ginny to stay out of it and Ginny getting fed up and telling him flat out that he's being stupid and she has her own reasons to fight. She doesn't need a protector. If they are going to have a relationship - and I do believe they will - then Harry needs to stop seeing her as a potential victim and start seeing her as an equal partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
She was especially good in Charms, yes, but she was also good in Potions, and we donít know what else she was gifted at. I donít suppose hexes really fit directly into any category taught at Hogwarts (DADA is possible, but Iím not sure itís likely) but more perhaps something that the students just tend to learn.
I think hexes and jinxes are most likely a mix. Some hexes and jinxes cause a physical change of properties - like the toenail hex Harry found in the HBP book, or the hex used to cause someone to sprout antlers - those would be transfiguration. Other hexes and jinxes just cause certain things to happen - like the Leg Locker curse sticking your legs together or Langlock sticking your tongue to the room of your mouth - those would be charms.

The Bat Bogey hex - I'm not really sure. It sounds more like a charm to me because it doesn't actually bring about a physical change - it has more of an external effect.

I wouldn't say that Harry and Ginny are exactly like James and Lily. There are some similarities, but there differences as well. In terms of temperament and how they interacted, Ron and Hermione seem to be more like James and Lily in that regard.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old April 21st, 2007, 3:06 am
Second Year

Quote:
I think that could potentially become an issue. Ginny was rebelling against her brothers being so overprotective of her in HBP. She was tired of being seen as just the baby sister. I don't see her tolerating that kind of behavior from Harry either.
Theres a difference between resenting your brothers' intrusiveness and protectiveness and your boyfriend trying to keep you from certain death. Fred, George and Ron want to keep her safe from hormonal teenage boys. Despite the fact that they all know she is perfectly capable to handle whatever threat that could pose they insist on treating her like little girl. Harry isn't thinking about wandering hands or dirty minds. He's thinking about Voldemort. As capable as Ginny is, she isn't up to dealing with that. Like Harry said to Cho Chang in OotP, Voldemort will kill you no matter how competent a fighter you are because he is in a class by himself. So theres not equivallency between the motives of the protective brothers and those of protective Harry.

Quote:
It's interesting to look at Ginny's behavior at the end of HBP - particularly before the funeral. She's not sleeping well and she interrupts Harry to announce that she's going to bed because of that. Initially, this would appear to be rather uncaring. However, when Harry breaks up with her, she says that she knew he was going to do it and that sheds new light on her previous behavior. She knew what was coming and could tell that Harry was pulling away. She was resigned to the inevitable and needed that time to herself to prepare for it - how she would handle it and what she would say. She knows that Harry does not respond well to direct confrontation so she had to consider her approach carefully.
Ginny has never shown a tendency to let anything build in her. When angered, she lets it out. When Ron attacked her about making out in public she went right at him with a blistering verbal assault that caused all the termoil of the next several chapters. "Harry not responding well to direct confrontations" seems precarious to me. I don't know anyone who exactly thrives on being confronted. But the more important disagreement I have is that Ginny in the past has directly confronted Harry when she thought he was going in the wrong direction. She went right at him and kept at him in OotP when Harry thought he was being posessed. That confrontation was very significant for H/G shippers at the time. When I read it, it was just more confirmation that H/G would be the final pairing because Ginny could argue with him as an equal, demonstrating that she was best suited for him.

I would have expected her to argue with him immediately if she was going to disagree with his motivations. She was not surprised by Harry's decision, she expected it to happen at some point. If those thoughts had been in her head for a while surely she would have already had enough time to formulate her argument if she was going to make one. I don't think it matters that Harry didn't let her say anymore and walked away as quick as he could. Because if Ginny wanted to say something she would not have let him get away so easily.

Ginny is more of a Sonny Corleone than a Michael. If something happens that she doesnt like, she lets you know passionately. Sometimes she lets loose without thinking as she did with Ron in HBP and creates very negative consequences. Like Harry she's got some Slytherin tendencies, but shes a Gryffindor at the core. I would have expected her to go at him guns blazing the day of the funeral if she was going to refuse to accept his decision.

Old April 21st, 2007, 3:27 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider62442 View Post
Ginny has never shown a tendency to let anything build in her. When angered, she lets it out. When Ron attacked her about making out in public she went right at him with a blistering verbal assault that caused all the termoil of the next several chapters.
i have to say, i don't know that i agree with your reasoning here. i dunno that lashing out at ron shows she doesn't let anything build her. she's bold, ouspoken, unafraid, intelligent, courageous, loyal, and passionate; as you said, she's a true gryffindor. by yelling back at ron -- who opened his mouth without thinking and started the fight -- she wasn't showing immaturity, she was demonstrating her normal personality. she doesn't take mess from anyone, including ron. that being said, i feel i probably would have responded similarly in the given situation, had my brother started ragging on me for a situation he walked into himself. plus, they're siblings; that's what they do. brothers and sisters argue, especially when it comes to significant others. i think we've seen ginny grow a lot, from a quiet, shy, introverted girl to a strong, confidant, intelligent young woman. she's learned from her situations, and she shows great emotional maturity and depth in her handling of the break up with harry.

Old April 21st, 2007, 3:40 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeNgUiNsRuLe View Post
i think we've seen ginny grow a lot, from a quiet, shy, introverted girl to a strong, confidant, intelligent young woman. she's learned from her situations, and she shows great emotional maturity and depth in her handling of the break up with harry.
I agree that she's grown a lot over the years but Ginny was only ever shy and introverted around Harry. She's always been bold if you take Ron, Fred and George's word for it.

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

Interviewer: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
JKR: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old April 21st, 2007, 3:44 am
Second Year

I didn't like the way they got together, Harry kept lusting over her in every other chapter in HBP. But atleast he's finally with the right one. A better choice than Cho Chang. Ah, where to from here? I can only imagine a happy ending for them. Or as Prof Trelawney said in OotP, tons of kids and a very successful life.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies